So why does this show try so hard to be smart? Even outside of le science lmao...

So why does this show try so hard to be smart? Even outside of le science lmao. Its constantly referencing flavor of the month shit like "existentialism" with no real insight into it, like just referencing it somehow makes it particularly intelligent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hWFDHynfl1E
youtu.be/-JFA764oTZo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They dont try hard. Sorry you don't get the jokes, but recognize the buzzwords. Must be tough being stuck in that middle ground where you aren't smart, but not really stupid either. Maybe go read more?

>flavor of the month shit like "existentialism"
Oh boy

Instead of actually tackling those subject matters it's easier to pander to people who just want le cool science fiction jokes and fart humor.

Rick & Morty is for teenagers who want basic humor but also want to feel intelligent for it being supposedly deep.

This is elitist as fuck but too funny for me to care

You really do need to get into the mindset of a Redditor normie to understand why this show is so popular.

These people have never heard of adult animation in their lifes that wasn't stuff like Family Guy, it was completely alien to them. And they can't laugh at these shows because they consider these shows stupid. They want a show that isn't necessarily smart or funny or well-written, but that appears to be to appeal to their surface-level taste. Because these people live for that mindless self-validation. They don't actually understand what makes for good writing or good comedy, nor have they ever picked a book about physics. They want to pretend they do so and circlejerk themselves, that's what matters.

Rick and Morty is just perfect for its demographic: these same college-age self-important Bernouts who "fucking love science". The entire foundation of the show is built upon the dichotomy between "silly sci-fi humor and references" and " things are super deep and tragic bro". This pseudo-intellectual "nothing even matters, I'm insecure about existence, we are all going to die" bullshit that R&M shits out in almost every episode is what appeals to it's audience. The show doesn't actually have the tact to even begin to offer an interesting presentation and discussion of any philosophy, so it spouts these edgy teenage catchphrases.

Nevermind the bean-headed, noodle-limbed unexpressive character design, or how the story is non-existent and only comes up when the writers beg you to feel something for these characters so devoid of substance, or how the entire show is a trendy forgettable scenario of the week memefest with just enough sci-fi references to trick normies into thinking they are smart for understanding them, or how the characters have somehow been reduced to even more obnoxious caricatures than before, none of these things matter.

What matters is that it appeals to the millenial redditor audience, and that's what's selling Rick and Morty

That's what happens when the show's creators fancy themselves to be intellectuals, but only managed to attend such august institutions as Marquette and Manteca High School.

>So why does this show try so hard to be smart?
Two of the show's recurring jokes are literally that characters are named "Principal Vagina" and "Mr Poopy Butthole"

Does turning something into a copypasta negate its truth? Does a copypasta become such because of it's truth?

recommend me a good adult animation then you fucking faggot

Really unsubtle bait.

>Maybe go read more?
But I'm an English major.

Moral Orel
Bojack Horseman
Home Movies
Mission Hill

Every day. Every day this thread is made.

I tried to watch an episode and it made me want to ram my head through a wall. Not only is it not funny, it's antifunny. It literally sucked the humor out of me.

>morty stutters a lot lol xD
>rick drinks and burps and stutters lol xD
>everyone is generic and stutters lol xD

It seems like the main fucking motif of these guys is their character are awkward and stuttery, which is about as funny as Sheldon Cooper saying "Bazinga!" ad nauseam.

Venture Bros

the objective point of a copypasta is to get (You)s, regardless if the content is correct or not.

It's light-hearted entertainment. That's all it boils down to. I didn't particularly enjoy the pilot, but by the time I decided to give it a decent chance, and got to the episode with Mr Meeseeks, I really found myself enjoying it.

It does attract a lot of assholes to its fanbase who think they're 'such a nerd' for watching a cartoon with sci-fi themes and jokes, but then every fanbase has those kinds of people.

Um, try again sweetie, this show is the greatest sci-fi comedy ever made, and if you don't laugh at it, it's just because you're a dumb contrarian and you don't get it :^)

>'people who have never watched perfect blue' the tv show

Why do god tier Japanese directors keep dying.

this
is who is talking about

You mean Paranoia Agent right?

I hate nerd """""""""""""culture"""""""""" so much

I didn't laugh at it, but I enjoyed it. It isn't what I consider a LOL show. It's just a show to watch and to enjoy. I don't get why people think it's suppose to be some god-tier masterpiece.

>Bojack
It's terrible, don't even

I don't really understand why people fuss so much about this show. It's not really that special. Just a pretty decent sci-fi comedy.

It actually tackles themes and has interesting characters, which is more than can be said about Reddit & Morty.

When you think you see reddit everywhere user you will

But Aurini likes Rick&MortY!!!?

>flavor of the month shit like "existentialism"

I remember watching the pilot when it first came out, thoght the voices sounded terrible and it was all around cheesey. I ended up going back and watching it, and you can clearly see where they lose ideas and improvise pure shit, but people eat it up cuz "so randum!!"

>I don't get why people think it's suppose to be some god-tier masterpiece.

Because of people like the pic in this user's post who act like their mediocre cartoon is deep and who accuse everyone who dislikes R&M of being contrarians who dont "get" the show.
I've literally never spoken to a single R&M that didn't accuse me of being a contrarian or not "getting" the show everytime I voiced the reasons why I dislike the show and don't think it's anything special.

Sorry, is there something confusing about that? It is currently the flavor of the month pseud surface level fashion image. Lot of buzzwords but it's true. How many times have you seen some dumb faggot online claim to be an "existentialist" and then talk about as if they only read the Wikipedia article? Plenty.

LOL
That's your opinion on "good"
Holly shit you're a faggot
It's likely you're still a virgin

This is actually a good show and I am glad I am here to witness it. Reddit is insufferable but this doesn't change the fact that quips, popsci, edgy randomness and nihilism are fun and they put new angles on scifi tropes and are quite creative themselves.

>Its constantly referencing flavor of the month shit like "existentialism" with no real insight into it
There isn't really time for a Jean Luc Picard style speech about ethics or something, it wouldn't fit the characters either. Only Rick has the intelligence and he is amoral. The moral quandries Morty is thrust into and witnesses are there for shock value or to further the plot.

>dosn't negate anything i said
>can't argue because it's all true

K i l l y o u r s e l f

You're literally the exact stereotypical pseudo intellectual r&m fan I picture in my mind.

>nihilism is "fun"
>actually gets anything out of the shows shitty reference of the concept

I mean, it depends on what you do. If you outright refuse to accept it's a good adult cartoon and has some positives, then that's just as cancerous as people who think it's perfect has has no flaws.

It sucks. It has a lot of problems, but it's still quite good.

>Sup Forums- Capefags and Baneposters roasts a show for being pseudo-intellectual

really activates my almonds

>Nihilism

Rick is an Absurdist, not a Nihilist.

rick is just a depressed alcoholic and is no more philosophical than the average cretin on Sup Forums

Superjail, China IL. , Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Harvey Birdman. There's more good stuff there.

>If you outright refuse to accept it's a good adult cartoon and has some positives then that's just as cancerous as people who think it's perfect has has no flaws.
I'm giving you the benefit of doubt here but do you realize how stupid that sounds ?
>if you refuse to accept that this thing is good then you are just as bad as the people who think this thing is perfect
What if the thing isn't good ?
I don't consider Rick and Morty a good show at all.

If you intended to say something like "if you pointblank refuse to see anything good in this show and treat it like it's the worst cartoon of all time you are just as bad as the people who treat it like it's a perfect masterpiece" then, sure, I can agree with you on that.

I consider Rick and Morty to be one of the most mediocre shows I've ever seen. Just that. Mediocre. It's not the worst thing to have come out of television but it's far from being one of the best. It's mediocrity with a few actually good moments outweighed by the genuinely bad ones. That's it, really. If should have just fallen into obscurity in it's 1st season. It's not worth so many threads just to talk about it.

Every single R&M thread degenerates into an argument about it's audience and reception. It's always on one side Redditors shilling this show as some kind of deep comedic masterpiece and calling everyone who dislikes it a contrarian who just hates it because it's popular, and Sup Forums anons treating it like it's the worst fucking cartoon of all time and calling everyone who doesn't hate it a Redditor (because Reddit is Sup Forums's boogeyman). Neither of these reactions are justified.

It's a stupid low-tier animated comedy for wannabe intellectuals and college stoners. It's just not worthy of being argued so vehemently over.

>It sucks. It has a lot of problems, but it's still quite good
I think it sucks, it has a lot of problems, and it's not good.
It's just tediously mediocre.

>absurdist

Yes I'm sure you're quite the intellectual after watching two videos about Rick and Mortys philosophical references on YouTube and even going as far as to read the Wikipedia page on Camus after. Nice bro.

This thread is just proving my point. The most embersssing part is you guys dont even seem to be aware of it.

the more important question is, why did it suddenly become okay for adults to try and discuss fucking cartoons

I fucking hate this shit so much, this shit isn't any more deep or intellectual than fucking Dexter's Lab or a more ponderous Powerpuff Girls episode and you have all these 20-somethings acting like it's on par with the goddamn Sopranos or some shit

Fuck off with your hipster cartoons

he is, but he is also hedonistic and displays traits of absurdists and nihilists. He is essentially a caricature of those types of people which is quite clever.

> "if you pointblank refuse to see anything good in this show and treat it like it's the worst cartoon of all time you are just as bad as the people who treat it like it's a perfect masterpiece"

What's what I meant, yes. Reddit and Memy is an alright show and fills a hole left by Futurama. I don't like lots of it, but it's the kind of show I would happily watch because there is nothing like it around. Unfortunately it's beaten everybody to the punch and anybody trying to do it better will fail cause "hur dur cashing in on R&M success".

I enjoyed R&M but it's not perfect. Lots of it's problems CAN be fixed and it all comes down to whether they try and fix them come S3 or not. If they don't then it'll not be anything more than low budget adult futurama x doctor who fanfic.

I actually studied Philosophy and Theology for 3 years. It's not fucking difficult to spot. The fact you think that everybody on Sup Forums is some uneducated unread memeing shitposter smacks of egotistical narcissism on your part and you should seek professional help. It isn't hard to read and some people have an interest in shit.

>arguing about cartoons on the Internet

What the kek?

Anyway Rick and Morty is pretty fun, has some weaker episodes sometimes but whatever. It's only about 10x20minutes a year, not really worth being angry for IMO. But maybe I'm not a true philosopher like you guys

>complains about cartoons
>goes on to say Rick & Morty is pretty fun

You're the kind of people is refering to.

I have a pseudo theory. Nobody likes feeling dumb, right? And what do you do when you like and consume media lime r&m that is unquestionably stupid and uninsightful? In the past adults would just bullshit into exaggerating the intellectual part of shows that werent made for that, in order to not discredit his mental capacity through what he enjoys. Decade later there's no need for that, as """""adult""""" cartoons have basically honed this in. Like i said, the cartoon os still stupid, nothing has changed, but it has gotten better and masking this through typical pseudo intellectual references and half baked concepts. In r&ms case you have 9th grade wikipedia-core """"philosophical"""" references like Camus that make the viewer feel smart without putting in any effort. Hes jot watching a retarded but entertaining cartoon, hes watching something both entertaining AND philosophical- how could it not be? It even references "absurdism" and "nihilism"! Of course these people aren't smart enough to realize that the show offers zero new thought or insight on these, it basically just references them and expects that to be smart enough in its own- to where the viewer could watch videos like youtu.be/hWFDHynfl1E and youtu.be/-JFA764oTZo then feel very smart after.

Tl;dr entertaining children's cartoons that have no real intellectual insight have now adapted and whilst still remaining stupidly entertaining and uninsightful have made sure to include surface level "intellectual" references in order to disparage that image of them. Again nobody likes to feel dumb anyway, even if they are.

So at this point claiming to be "existentialist" is basically a part of the rerarded nerd culture. or maybe it's just trendy and flavor of the month like op said. Stupid all around though.

So why does this OP try so hard to be smart? Even outside of le contrarian lmao. He's constantly referencing flavor of the month shit like "Rick and Morty" with no real insight into why it sucks, like just stating it somehow makes him particularly intelligent.

It amazes me at how slowly some people develop mentally. If you really are 3rd philosophy student then your understand is that of a 10th grader tops. You've even got the shitspewing of irrelevant terms all bunched in to make yourself look smart.

its overrated as fuck. it pushes the feels too hard and too randomly, at the end of an episode, and it makes the show feel pretentious

OP here, I'm calling out a retarded but entertaining show for trying waaay too hard to cover things out of its capacity that hinders my enjoyment of it. Its an enjoyable dumb fucking cartoon, don't ruin it with this hamfisted middle school bullshit.

God, you people are just dreadfully miserable and are just begging for conflict as if to feel something.

Just fucking stop it, the lot of you.

the show doesn't try to be smart. any perceived attempt at intellectualism is evidence of your own insecurity, now the shows incompetence.

These are pretty reddit

I shat on Rick and Morty before it was the popular thing to do.
And now that Sup Forums hates on it, I have a strong urge to go back and force myself to like it.

>yaking pasta seriously
Just end yourself.

See

the show doesn't try to be smart.

What is there to 'understand', I literally just explained what the show referenced, I never said it was deep or insightful. It's a fucking cartoon. You don't go to cartoons for deep philosophical debate.

>then your understand is that of a 10th grader tops

>he can't even form coherent sentences that are grammatically sound because he is THAT mad and is literally SHAKING with rage.

>You've even got the shitspewing of irrelevant terms all bunched in to make yourself look smart.

Not at all. I merely said what I thought. Sort your life out, mate. Perhaps take a reading comprehension class, you're obviously not a native English speaker, your poor grammar and the fact you can't even understand what I was talking about proves this.

Don't reply. Though you will, as autistic people can't follow simple instructions.

That's it. It referenced them and expected anyone to think that elevated it above jist a dumb fucking cartoon. And you're either naive or pretentious if you claim it didnt forcefully insert that shit everywhere it can. I watched the first season and its all over the place. Just stick to making burping jokes dude.

I knew TV was of pseuds but I didnt think it was this bad.

....You should probably get over yourself a bit m8

user, if you're seeing any major attempt to try and be smart of above the grain or anything more than it is, then you're simply not that much of an intellectual yourself.

the show doesn't try to be smart.

Because it's the style of comedy they chose?

>no real insight

The only insight is Rick's constant misery and depression he blatantly attempts to stave off by invading his grandson's life.

Your mistake is thinking Rick is the voice of moral reason or righteous judgement on the show and not the victim of his own self perceived intelligence and inflated ego.

He is not meant to be an enlightened redpilled character. He is meant to be a sad alcoholic single father with nothing in his life to find hope in other than his grandson's innocence and energy. The creators have said this countless times.

>paying for indoctrination
lol

Sup Forums loved Rick and Morty until it got popular.

>If you recognise someone spouting above their own mental capacity then you're dumb yourself

It sort of made me think?

Literally no fun allowed: the post

I know right? I was watching the Sopranos (a bit pleb I know) and they were referencing existentialism and I couldn't help but LMAO. How pathetic and THIS is the GOAT show? Don't make me laugh.

>Just stick to making burping jokes dude.
No fuck that. I don't even like Rick and Morty.
But there's nothing wrong with trying to make something that is a little more than just burping jokes.
And if they delved too deep into those themes it would probably suck the little bit of fun left, out of it.
There's absolutely no reason to go from one extreme to the other.

>But there's nothing wrong with trying to make something that is a little more than just burping jokes.
You're right. There is still a fine line between casual opinions and forced uninsightful references.

>le science lmao
opinion discarded

regardless of R&M shoehorning in 2smart4u moments, some of the episodes have genuinely good sci-fi and I'd say most of them are funny.

You didn't find it funny. K. Watch another tv show

But instead of just watching another show we should all sit around and bitch and moan. This is Sup Forums where nobody likes anything, and if you do happen to like something then you are a uncultered plebian sjw cuck.

>Bojack Horseman
>Home Movies

christ and you think R&M is pleddit?

proof that no one's opinion matters ITT

T.Butthurt Redditor

Honestly, Family Guy and American Dad. At least a few years ago it was good

Except the majority in every R&M thread praise the show, and the minority who hates it gets called "Sup Forums" and "contrarian" by those faggots.

R&M confirmed Reddit

This post is funny because I would consider myself more intelligent than anyone who likes R&M and Community

>existentialism
>flavor of the month

One long ass month.

I'm jealous of you, it's clear you've never had to experience an existential crisis before. Just because the symptoms are generally the same doesn't make the experience any less real.

>it's another contrarian Rick and Morty thread

Maybe it's because you faggots never stop complaining.

The show is mediocre. It's been mediocre and will continue to be. Enough.

>not liking Home Movies

Its not the best show, but I still find it an enjoyable one. Much like I felt about futurama where I wouldn't laugh a lot but enjoyed watching their creative plots and universe.

Contrarian Faggots

>Its not the best show
It's not even a good show.

up(You)ed

I want redditors to leave so they can stop shilling their crap

Boondocks bitch. First three seasons. Legitimately smart, entertaining, and full of insight. Until the showrunner left and they crapped out a 4th season before cancelling but still those first 3 were and are gold.

Eh

This is Justin roiland's(creator of Rick and Morty) gf.

They don't. This is a projection by retarded fans of the show who want to feel smarter, and your dumb hipster ass is buying into their delusion.

They literally don't.

The show effectively incorporates fun spins on science-fiction concepts, and you interpret this as being "pretentious" because you're either stupid and don't get the references, or you think anything above a fart-joke is trying to be "high-brow".

never said it was intellectual, just saying it is fun

>I have shit taste: the post

invader zim is also a good show, it is a shame Sup Forums can't allow itself to enjoy them

Check out Monkey Dust

Except for Birdman those are literally all shows I'd watch when I was 16 and a huge stoner degenerate. Tried watching them straight and they weren't funny.

Essential /weedcore/

Did you mean to respond to someone else? What the fuck are you talking about?

Nah. Babycakes and the Professor Bros. were really good before they were tied together and called China IL