Literally sell your franchise to people who hate the demographic of the core fanbase

>literally sell your franchise to people who hate the demographic of the core fanbase

thanks a bunch George
why did he do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/callista-ring/2016/11/22/post-election-star-wars-writer-tweets-empire-white
twitter.com/chrisweitz/status/797138496716566528/photo/1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>why did he do it?

George-sama don't give a fuck.

Also money.

Because most fans hated the shitquels. And Lucas didn't want to make another Star Wars if people weren't going praise his hack writing.

Also MONAY.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Maybe he was tired of a fickle fan base that could never truly be sated. The man just wanted to make fun, furry characters he could sell a buttload of toys of not quench your nerdlust.

Maybe if he didn't make shitty movies his could have please his "fickle" fan base.

The fact is George is a hack, there's a reason why there is a direct correlation between the amount of power/involvement Lucas has and how bad the movie is.

Indiana Jones was good because of Spielberg, Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars because Lucas had the least involvement in it, A New Hope was good because the studio didn't trust Lucas and it was edited by someone else.

In the 90s we see Lucas's true vision, we get a bunch of edits to the OT which objectively make them worse, we get the prequels which are garbage, and we get a few other horrible forgettable movies that Lucas makes.

Lucas got lucky, he was a director at the right time, and more importantly at a time where ripping off ideas from older movies was acceptable and where you could basically lift story lines from foreign flicks because no one in the US would have seen them.

RotS is objectively the best Star Wars film, and one of the greatest films ever made. Lucas was a genius who was called a hack because he was able to make a prequel series of films unimpeded by overbearing producers, and the result was a high art inspired by Shakespeare, Plato, Kant, Nietzche and others while establishing a brilliant expanded universe and creating possibly the best villain in fiction. George was burned at the stake for creating art rather than moneymaking assembly line garbage like Force Awakens. I don't blame him for giving up on his fans.

We don't deserve him.

He needed the money to pay for his wifes children

Disney gave him the highest offer and he accepted it

/thread

That's what you get for making fun of him.

because most of the "core fan base" shat on his prequel trilogy and this was like a big FUCK YOU to them

>4bn
>highest offer

He could have gotten 10 billion easy, i'm sure Warner Brothers would have payed even more, we'd also get to see the Clone Wars finished.

4 billion dollars is a lot of money.

his former wife also helped filter a lot of his creative decisions and helped edit the movie. Her contribution to OT Star Wars was touched upon in a recent biography worth checking out.

A middle finger to fans. He's butthurt his precious prequels were criticised

those who shat on the prequels are the target audience of Disney though. They gulp shit wherever they find it and the movies will have plenty of shit

>10 billion
>for Star Wars
nah, not even the most unhinged, coked-up executive would think that Star Wars is worth that much

10 billion is pretty reasonable considering how much a cash cow the Star Wars franchise is.

>sells star wars
>gives all money to charity
I know lucas ripped off Kurosawa and a few other films, but at least he was decent enough to do this.

>(((Charity)))

All scams. Especially the cancer ones.

a cursory google search says the total cumulative revenue of the franchise (incl TFA) is 30 billion

buying it for 10 billion (1/3 of its revenue) when it's very possible that Star Wars could have been past its golden sounds a bit too risky, even at a superficial, armchair-accountant level.

I'm sure that Lucas still gets lucrative royalties from it as part of the contract so $4 billion upfront isn't too bad

Maybe I'm wrong dunno

>$4.27 Billion in worldwide box office sales (See full chart below), not adjusted for ticket price hikes in today’s dollars
>$20 billion in Licensing sales (toys, books, apparel, consumer products, and on)
>$3 billion in video games (over 100 million units sold)
>$2.5 billion, and climbing, in DVD sales
>$800 million (or more) and climbing in movie rentals (going from DVD back to VHS and even Betamax)
that's only based on the value of star wars by itself and not including the companies sold along with the license to Star Wars.

Yes, some of them are absolute shit, like Susan B. Koman. The foundation that received the money was founded by Lucas so take that for what it is.

He wanted the money and Disney knew how to make his films reach mass appeal. I bet he's sad that some of his ideas will probably never reach the light of day.

>I was ahead of my time with Red Tails, a film with all-black actors

All new SW ideas qualify as fanfic now, even Lucas'. All fanfic is trash.

>Treat Lucas like shit for 15 years
>Why George sold SW?

Uh... Because George hates the core fanbase for rejecting his magnum opi? The massive paycheck was just a bonus at that point.

Pretty sure lucas kept merchandising rights, although don't quote, but that's probably the biggest revenue stream for star wars, you don't see much merchandise except for darth vader and the falcon

Money

Whoever would take over after his death would fuck it up anyway so might as well cash out now and live it up and set up your family forever.

Those reddit fucks are literally known just for shitting on someone... Besides that, they just make horrendous 'ironic' indie movies.

A lot of what you're saying is true, but get fucked. American Graffiti is amazing. THX 1138 is also pretty good. The man does, or did, have the ability to make good movies at one time in his life.

This. Also, if you actually pay money to go see Rogue, you are SJW man-child trash.

newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/callista-ring/2016/11/22/post-election-star-wars-writer-tweets-empire-white

twitter.com/chrisweitz/status/797138496716566528/photo/1

Just go ahead and chop your dick off.

>all the way to the bank

>creating possibly the best villain in fiction
The Jedi?

He wasn't doing shit with LucasFilm anymore and was going to have to layoff most of his employees if he didn't sell to somebody who would actually put them to work on projects.

Nice plug at the end there, Mike

We would've never gotten kagemusha or Ran if it wasn't for Lucas.

>why did he do it?
He wanted it to go to somebody, and Disney was the closest to someone that would "take care" of it. His children aren't interested, so who else? Why let his life's work just die with him? He's had a relationship with them for years, so it made sense.

I know I'll get tore apart for this, but I honestly don't think it was about money. Just look at his body language and facial expressions as he's signing it away. He doesn't want to, but knows it's the only thing he can do with it. I know he's an autist, but you could just tell he was hesitant, and from interviews after, probably regrets it.

White nerds don't care, they'll suck it up and continue buying tickets and merch

Eh, George would be drinking the SJW koolaid today

>George actually thought he was going to get a billion out of Disney and still have them do whatever he wanted them to do

>Indiana Jones was good because of Spielberg
Stopped reading right there.
Read the story session transcript for Raiders. George came up with 90% of the best scenes in the movie, while Spielberg wanted Indy to pull a guy's pants down with his whip.