I have entirely grown out of the entry level taste of Sup Forums...

I have entirely grown out of the entry level taste of Sup Forums, what this board generally discusses is far beneath me now a days. Does anyone know of any forums that discuss music that's better for more serious listening?

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/user/metaldiscussor
youtube.com/watch?v=BLHBKOX8uWk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kill yourself and go to heave and meet up with all the obscure musicians who killed themselves because they were just too obscure for this world

Yes, the Quietus discussion forums

how can you grow out of entry level taste and post soap and shower?

>thinks he has good taste
>likes entry level babies first philosophers

I do get what you mean though. Once you have gone through a decent amount of music, this board has nothing to offer. I'd suggest just using rym but other than that music discussion doesnt really exist other than popular stuff or the typical "underground" stuff

>>thinks he has good taste
Did you just assume my gender?

Reddit

reddit's taste is even worse though

why not state your current music preferences first instead of engaging in empty posturing about how superior your secret music preferences are to this board's taste, while still having the gall to then ask its help?

last.fm/user/metaldiscussor

I don't know op. I'd like to see something like /daily/ but in Web format amd without the trip drama
I only know of rym but I don't like giving ratings

Last 12 months I have been into Béla Bartók, Gustav Mahler, Johann Sebastian Bach, Frédéric Chopin, Igor Stravinsky, Ludwig van Beethoven, Sergei Prokofiev, Franz Schubert, Maurice Ravel, Glenn Gould, Claude Debussy, Johannes Brahms, Arnold Schönberg, Andrew Chalk, Robert Schumann, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Erik Satie, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Richard Strauss, Richard Wagner, Swans, Natural Snow Buildings, Dmitri Shostakovich, Nujabes, Antonín Dvořák, Toshifumi Hinata, Jeanne Lee & Ran Blake, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Olivier Messiaen, Lil Ugly Mane, Arizmenda, Keith Berry, John Fahey, Antonio Vivaldi, Alban Berg, Fritz Wunderlich, the cherry icees, Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber, Cro-Mags, Edvard Grieg, Felix Mendelssohn, Kilslug, Hugo Wolf, Atrax Morgue, Daniel Hope, Sir Edward Elgar, Dystopia, Sviatoslav Richter and Charles Ives.

A) You don't talk about music, you listen to music
B) You talk to people about music rather than just piss into the Sup Forums void of posturing as compensation for anonymity (as in IRL- this actually especially works well when you have different taste than mu)

lurk pitchfork (p4k)

I see you all the time in chart threads. Pretty good stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=BLHBKOX8uWk
nice - so I've been possessed by string quartet compositions for a few years now, and I'd be able to give some recommendations if you're interested.
first, could you sum up the way you approach different types of music? western classical is a huge component, but the most experimental types of music that grew out of rock also fit into it. help me out here
most importantly, what are you looking for? or do you know?

I go to rym and download stuff off of lists of obscure music, or I go to chart threads and look for that one rare chart which is just filled with weird music. As for classical, I found p2p sites with people who had huge libraries who didn't mind me downloading from them, but I also used rym to download a lot of top rated albums. I find that rym is usually pretty spot on as an indicator of which recording of an album is the best.

I've recently been digging through many older recordings of what's called "world music," or traditional folk/religious/ceremonial music more accurately. so much vital music I've gotten in the last few months. the Dimi Mint Abba collection from 1992 Music from Mauritania is very powerful, as is the Grande Maitres collection on the French Auvidis label of Goro Yamaguchi playing on shakuhachi. plus I stumbled upon a treasure trove of traditional Chinese guqin recordings that I haven't even had the opportunity to properly respond to yet. I'm in that difficult position of having more music than time to listen to it in once again...

Sounds like the sort of stuff that what.cd collages would have been great for. I don't see much about world music on rym lists. I should go look up lists with the album Delusion Of The Fury by Harry Partch on them. Not that that's world music or anything, but it's weird, way far out there experimental music.

I'm also hugely into soothing slowcore, glitchy microtonal, and good drone.

there are some great experimental albums, but I find more often than not I respond much more strongly to music that has solid traditional foundations - and it doesn't much matter where or when those foundations were derived from, so long as they're there. I have huge deficits in western classical, and my Bach collection is embarrassingly tiny considering how much time I spend listening to and searching for more music. recs would be appreciated there (I generally prefer recordings from the 1960s or earlier, with small ensembles like quartets being the largest number of performers)
if you could let me know some of the p2p sites - I've been relying on private trackers, when I'm not raiding the university audio library or chancing my purchases on albums that look like they'd be interesting sound unheard

If you like bach, listen to stokowski's symphonic bach for great transcriptions of orchestral recordings.

For his cello suites, there's several recordings that are good, such as Queyras (the one on my chart), Rostropovich, Pierre Fournier, and Pablo Casals.

For the violin concertos, I highly recommend a very old early 20th century recording by Menuhin, Enescu & Monteux. David Oistrach is also very good for the concertos. Stay away from modern string players like Hilary Hayn, Yo Yo Ma, or Itzhak Perlman. They're very proficient but they put too much of themselves into the music and care more about making it sound embellished than making it sound true to it's form.

Of course listen to the goldberg variations performed by Glenn Gould. Listen to anything Glenn Gould has ever recorded by Bach, it is all fantastic. Watch some live performances of him too, they're fantastic.

For the Art Of Fugue, I don't know. I usually just listen to the Emerson String Quartet's recording of that.

If you're female kys

ah! I've recent discovered Pablo Casals' recordings of Bach's cello suites - thanks for the other recs
I have both Gould's Goldberg Variations, and recently heard them, but I need to hear other versions of it - any you consider comparable?

I honestly don't really want to hear anyone else's recordings after hearing Glenn Gould's recordings. I'm the same way with Das Lied Von Der Erde (Song Of The Earth) by Gustav Mahler. Once you hear absolute perfection which can't be surpassed, everything else just sounds like shit. I'm a bit the same way with the Chopin Nocturnes performed by Arthur Rubinstein as well.

no women has ever said those words. it's a girl (male) .

fair enough. for me the particular group that has that aura of perfection is the Juilliard String Quartet circa 1958-1966 - the Mann-Cohen-Hillyer-Adam configuration. I just went and found as many of those recordings as I could lay my hands on, and I find they are endlessly replayable. I'm curious whether you've ever heard their 1963 recording of the Bartok quartets?

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Juilliard recording of Bartok's string quartets, it's one of the top rated on rym so it's hard to miss. I find that really the only quartet who nails the sound for me is Takacs though. It's just another instance of rym being right in their choice of recording, which as I said before they seem to be in a lot of cases.

do you have an rym account? it seems there's a lot of information we could share

deep web

I'm sorry man, I wish I still did. I was permanently banned from having an account and the forums for shitposting too hard.

So why not just stick to /classical/ like the rest of use classical heads.

I rarely need to go to any other thread on Sup Forums as the music just doesn't interest or stimulate me

I think its time you discovered renaissance polyphonic vocal music and more of the stranger 20th century stuff.

Here's 4 composers to check out:

Morales
Lassus
Schnittke
Martinu

haha, no worries. let's see - I could contact your tumblr, I think? is there a way for an anonymous poster without an account to post that way?

Yeah you can PM on tumblr. Feel free. Or my last.fm last.fm/user/metaldiscussor

Real world. Find older people who don't use the Internet.

There was a local avant garde scene in my town, but god the people around it were absolute fucking assholes, and I never want to interact with them again.

it doesn't look like there's a place for me to post these things - do you maybe need to fiddle with the setting to enable it? all I see are archive, random, home, link to last.fm - I'll be signing up for tumblr someday soon anyway, but if there's a thing I'm missing let me know

If you have an account then there should be a button to click to send PM. It should be in the top right hand corner.

cool thanks - I'll likely make an account sometime soon. good talking with ya

You too.

are you into electroacoustic improvisation? imo a bunch of the most exiting things i've heard from the last 10 years has come out of that genre. the ihatemusic forum is the place to be for that - it's nearly dead now but still good for reccs. here's a couple of albums to look into:

erstlive005
duos for doris

I'll look into it, I'm not too familiar with electroacoustic improvisation.

>For the Art Of Fugue, I don't know. I usually just listen to the Emerson String Quartet's recording of that.

Its time to upgrade.

I'll listen to it, nice.

>Nirvana
>Joy Division
>Soundgarden
>Linkin Park
>Nick Drake

Hardly anyone obscure there buddy

Nick Drake was definitely obscure, he only got famous much later.