When did you realize that Lucas was the main reason SW is/was good?

When did you realize that Lucas was the main reason SW is/was good?

For me it was when I saw Lawrence Kasdan of ESB fame's name in the credits of TFA and decided to look a little deeper at the film people say that George was the least responsible for shaping- The Empire Strikes Back.

>George did indeed write both the story outline for ESB, as well as the 3rd(?) complete script draft.
So from this we see that a majority of the dramatic content of ESB was straight from George's pen.

I also looked up the other movies that Irvin Kershner directed.
>was not impressed
I suggest you look them up. Some okay-ish films, but none on the level of Empire.

Just some food for thought.

We see that Kasdan and Kershner might not be all that great after all.

And a reminder- not being credited for something in the credits of a film means almost nothing other than who's in what guild, or if they wanted money etc...

Other urls found in this thread:

newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/callista-ring/2016/11/22/post-election-star-wars-writer-tweets-empire-white
twitter.com/chrisweitz/status/797138496716566528/photo/1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How many threads have you made today, George?

Lucas was an idea guy. Great if you just keep around for only a few nifty ideas and subdued by the people who know what they're doing.

Imagine if Lucas didn't direct any of the prequels. It still would've been retarded with every character action and plot progression being baffling, but at least every time there's a dialogue scene it wouldn't be shot shot/reverse shot with the characters sitting on a couch.

>ut at least every time there's a dialogue scene it wouldn't be shot shot/reverse shot with the characters sitting on a couch.
this never bothered me
felt like I was watching a play

It was a nice change of pace for a blockbuster.

Some of the most competent directors are the ones who just do whatever the studio wants and make the most out of whatever situation they're given. Yeah there isn't much artistic merit and fame but that's a steady cash racket. George got very competent people to work on the original movies. Those tech guys who got Oscars sure as fuck earned it.

If Lucas was the mastermind behind Episode V, one of the best sci-fi movies ever made nevermind the best star wars movie then what the fuck happened to him to have him create Episodes I, II and III which are among the worst movies ever made. Story issues, character issues, pacing issues, tonal issues, etc...

>among the worst movies ever made.
wrong

If you actually pay money to go see "episode 8", you are SJW man-child trash.

newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/callista-ring/2016/11/22/post-election-star-wars-writer-tweets-empire-white

twitter.com/chrisweitz/status/797138496716566528/photo/1

Just go ahead and chop your dick off.

Sup again Sup Forums

How goes your Kellogg's boycott?

he got ass raped by Disney for tweeting that white supremacist Empire thing

triggered are we?

>Lucas was an idea guy.
"Indiana Jones and Attack of the Giant Ants"
"Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars"
"Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

>"Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"
Was objectively well received by critics.

I love Indy 4.

They are objectively awful.

Literally nobody can explain why V is any good.

nope

Leigh Brackett, negro.

The fact that someone made that image shows how truly autistic this board is.

George's draft was written after Brakkett's though.
Not denying her influence, but George could have changed a lot.
Also, she was working off his story beats.

>George got very competent people to work on the original movies.

If you watch the making of, he had to go in and tel them how to do every X-wing shot. The sfx guys had to copy Georges edited video of WW2 footage to get anything done. George put his approval on everything. The original Star Wars movies would be fucked way worse without George.

This.
Nothing gets to me more in terms of popular culture lies as much as the revisionist narrative against George.

Where is "Kino"?

That image was made before "Kino" got big.

Kino is a VERY new (and already beaten to death) maymay.

(((Disney)))... I'm sure he did

I'm no SW fan and I don't think it's that great, but trying to understand how it became such a cinema legend is interesting.

Its a pure product of its zeitgeist, it came out at the right time,
- Lucas being young and hungry, having to prove himself, raised on pulp stories but also fascinated with arthouse and experimental cinema, just like all his New Hollywood peers, surrounded by equally hungry/creative young guys like Milius, Coppola, Spielberg, Donner, etc. right when the film industry and audiences tastes were about to change. The thing that made SW what it is is that it brought an A-movie sensibility to B-movie material (Flash Gordon etc.), meaning treated it seriously and with real production values. All these guys coming up together at the same time is also what created a specific combination of competition and collaboration, which fostered creativity.
There was no expectation from producers, they still had a "film student" mindset and studios were letting them fuck around enough, while still giving them enough budget, which they were forced to use efficiently. The perfect balance of creative freedom due to low expectations, talent and innovation due to youth, hunger for recognition and competition, the mix of hi-brow (Kurosawa, Campbell, WW2 aesthetics, the overall 60s artsy/counter-culture mindset in which they all evolved) and low-brow influences (John Carter, Flash Gordon...).
The same applies to Donner (directing Superman as if it was a Wyler drama), Milius (Conan as a Lean epic, seen through the Nietzsche angle), Spielberg...

By contrast, Lucas having too much power, nothing to prove, no one giving him harsh feedback & criticism, living in his own bubble, is what fucked over the prequels, they were made in a completely different creative spirit.

SW success is all the different aspects put together, you can't single one out. Gary Kurtz, Kasdan, Kershner, FX teams, set designers etc. all brought something different to and helped shape Lucas' vision.

>is what fucked over the prequels
Nothing fucked over the prequels.
ANH is not any better than the prequels.

Disney still wants to sell Stormtrooper toys

Episode V is overrated to hell and back while the prequels are underrated. That's how.