Hipster Runoff

Who here remembers Hipster Runoff?

web.archive.org/web/20150325061455/http://hipsterrunoff.com/altreport/2010/11/breaking-kanye-west-gets-perfect-100-pitchfork-have-we-finally-found-perfect-album.html

It was so fucking funny, now it's just wiped from the internet and Carles has no online pressence.

Feels "bad" man

Other urls found in this thread:

nenadseo.com/blog/
siriusxm.com/siriusxmu/weeklyschedule
medium.com/@JamesTheFruit2/netstream-vs-mainstream-how-the-internet-created-a-new-breed-of-lamestreamers-ee5a45dbe9c3
youtube.com/watch?v=34WcPLEst1k
texasmonthly.com/articles/jandek-and-me/
freshonthenet.co.uk/the-manual-by-the-klf/
web.archive.org/web/20010422154719/http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/march_2001/terms.html
theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/92dec/seinfeld.htm
web.archive.org/web/20010422154719/http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/march_2001/terms.html
web.archive.org/web/20101127051627/http://www.hipsterrunoff.com:80/altreport/2010/11/pitchfork-continues-negrofication-reviews-albums-rihanna-some-other-black-grl.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i remember hipster runoff

i remember this site it was funny

it was all right tho i dont really think about it

I still listen to Carles' show on Sirius when I get a chance, which isn't very often. His internet presence is greatly missed, however.

Link for?

This is Carles new sporadically updated weird site

nenadseo.com/blog/

No idea what the gimmick/point is.

You need a SiriusXM subscription

siriusxm.com/siriusxmu/weeklyschedule

>Blog Radio: Carles.buzz
Blog Radio: Carles.buzz. Non-scalable musicians, chill vibes, and shortform audio thinkpieces. Carles.buzz takes an in-depth look at artists by examining their place in over-valued contemporary mediums.

Interesting, thanks senpai

the humor was pretty esoteric and specialized but if you were kind of in on the joke so to speak it was fucking hilarious

When Ariel Pink comes to my city to play at a relevant venue, I will stand at the front of the show, already familiarized with his extensive discography, ready to smile with a shit eating grin that says, "Yes, I get it.

lel

Honestly such a funny site. Pre Condé Nast p4k

Amazing content. Miss u carles

only good thing he wrote
medium.com/@JamesTheFruit2/netstream-vs-mainstream-how-the-internet-created-a-new-breed-of-lamestreamers-ee5a45dbe9c3

[via]

we now have ripfork, they’re ok i guess

Carles once referred to CeeLo as "an asexual goo creature who only derives pleasure from diabetes-wave baked goods" which is something I still laugh about like every six months

He got pretty shitty later on. Some of his articles were classic though

youtube.com/watch?v=34WcPLEst1k
Who remember?

he was a good bb

>When the word hipster was created?
Actually its usually said the word hipster have to meanings
The current meaning
And one used in 1940s or something like that, to talk about an subculture of the era.

An guy called Robert Lanhammade a book called The hipster handbook and was released on 2003, he says he made the book based on some guys from Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
This book had some sort of fame.

But actually he already did some text about it on his page freewilliansburg, the text was created on 2001 (can find the specific week when wayback machine website goes up), the page explained what hipster was, and even had some pictures of some guys that were suposedly hipster.
The strange thing is, he suposedly took a picture of those guys himself (he blurred the head because suposedly, a hipster wouldnt want to be a page about hipster), those guys are on a bar or something like that, anyway at some point of time on one picture, you see a guy changed his clothing with another guy, and that they used some carpet two times for different photos at different places of the bar. So this sound like it was some faked thing.

Anyway but this was not the first use of it, even wikipedia talks about an early 2000 The Times article talking about "bohemians", implying it was used before the 2003 book was released but people used other names.

But actually, an girl that interviewed jandek wrote an article for texas montly on August 1999 ( texasmonthly.com/articles/jandek-and-me/ )and used the work hipster with the current hipster definition.

>current definiton???
Yes, many websites say that ther eis a 40s subculture that was called hipster at the time.
This is actually true, on the book by KLF called, the manual or how to reach a number one the easy way
freshonthenet.co.uk/the-manual-by-the-klf/

I'm 27 years old.

How old are people that 'remember' Hipster Runoff

they say " The “cool cats” and hipsters of the early sixties might have thought modern jazz was going to finally break through when “Take Five” made the Hit Parade."
This book was released on 1988

Anyway the free williamsburg archieve is back again, here is the page I was talking about

The article was released between march 2 2001 and march 9 2001

But the current hipster word goes back than august 1999 (the jandek page)

Some say the first use of the name was when on seinfeld someone called kramer a "hipster doofus", this is obviously not true, because the word hipster doofus came from a review of seinfeld made on december 1992 (and the author used the name because of the review)
theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/92dec/seinfeld.htm

>this is finally the first use of the name hipster??
Nope, some user said there is a 80s movie where the guy call himself a hipster, I dont know the name of this movie

also 27

Dr Evil calls Austin Powers an “Aging Hipster” in the first movie

Hipster's been around since near the beginning of the 20th century. The current concept of hipster is a manufactured identity based on certain products, fashions, and commercial tastes.

I’d also recommend gorilla vs bear and my old Kentucky blog if you like Carles.buzz.

>Hipster's been around since near the beginning of the 20th century. The current concept of hipster is a manufactured identity based on certain products, fashions, and commercial tastes.

>. The current concept of hipster is a manufactured

You can at the site of the creator of hipster hanbook (that started to talk about hipster before the book), that there is a picture of hipsters at a bar or something with their faces blurred.
But you can see some of the hipster change his clothing and remove the glasses,
The red carpet they use to shoot the phots, is the same one they sit to listen to music and the same they sit to eat.

its like the entire thing was manufactured

The article about the death of white mans indie is so good because it’s completely true. Pitchfork giving Kanye a 10.0 marked their shift away from indie rock and into hip hop/pop which gave us what pitchfork is today. Unbearable.

Heard the name but never browsed it much

25, going to be 26 in a week.

If you want to start a trend you have to associate it with certain products. That way the people that want to follow your trend can do so by buying the products.

It was always lame imo. Was clearly written by some suburban guy doing a really dated, off-point impression, being really ironic not realizing that straight up irony was already really dead by then. And then a lot of other people who weren't really caught up on the stuff he talked about, other suburban nerds, posted ironically and it was just really cringey and boring.

28. The slutwave article was pure gold.

Who remembers Is Anyone Up?

was one of the best sites for sure. responsible for so much of the snark newer music writers use

indie rock sucks anyways

28, I feel like the site definitely encapsulated the college music "experience" of the mid/late 2000s.

hipster runoff had this to say on Grimes
>She has a doomed Twitter brand. It will eventually lead to emotional outbursts, oversharing, displays of rage/jealousy, or general Best-Coastian stupidity [via simplicity].

well they aren't wrong. that's basically her twitter career now, but that's what's popular lmao.

what does her vagina taste like

Used to get some good laughs from it.

The sad thing is HRO mocked a culture that’s won. Clickbait rules. Content is king. I hope Carles is happy on the content farm in the sky.

Fuck CKY

Was “look at this fucking hipster” on this website?

I miss it so much and I think the same way carles types in my head

I read that site religiously

also 27
miss u carles

One of my favorite sites back in the day.

Who /unchill azn bro/ here?

unironically 35 here.

this is the article for anyone interested

>tfw can't find any mention of "who is the crystal castlest of them all?"
Did I make this up in my memory?

Does anyone remember that review that the pitchfork founder gave where he imitated Alex De Large and then imitated a black guy? There was even a flash animation of it.

29 reporting in.

I remember when Sup Forums was good. I remember when you could refresh the front page without seeing a ITAOTS thread. I remember when MPP came out. I remember when Kanye got 10.0. I remember.

>tfw you realize the hipster culture of the 2000s was fucked up by corporate suits even harder than grunge

The machine will swallow everyone eventually.

take it from somebody who was actively involved in The Music Scene before MBDTF got reviewed by pitchfork: you aren't missing anything. like, holy shit, the sheer volume of boring, contrived white dude music out there is astounding CURRENTLY. imagine being as obtuse as to think that wilco are the standard for "good" or "artful" music.

go read tinymixtapes if you want opinions on music that isn't shoehorned into the """"""""underground""""""""" music scene. or, alternately, kill yourself, because you are a fucking cuckold for relying on pitch-fucking-fork of all outlets to cater your music tastes.

I had a simultaneous fascination with and repulsion to Hipster Runoff and htmlgiant in the mid to late naughts. Halcyon days.

why am i the first to ask who this semen demon is

Everyone saw that shit happening, it was something that was just realized.

Corporations sunk their claws into everything that was hipster or close to it. Even mopeds.

also 27

Even if your criticisms are right, you spent the years were hipster was growing and at its peak in your room. Seeing it on the internet doesn't make you part of it.

26, didn't really "get it" as a high school kid who unironically loved Animal Collective but that makes it more funny in hindsight.

what years were those? spent a good amount of time riding a moped smoking parliament 100s and drinking pbr in basement shows in local Cool Area of Major City

I didnt say I was part of anything, why does it really matter?

no, HRO was operating on higher irony levels

Brandon " people were mean to me in high school and instead of moving on I ruined my life over it " love

web.archive.org/web/20101127051627/http://www.hipsterrunoff.com:80/altreport/2010/11/pitchfork-continues-negrofication-reviews-albums-rihanna-some-other-black-grl.html

>he wasn't part of one of the shittiest things to ever happen in popular culture
oh no how ever will he go on living now

>Feels "bad" man
kill yourself

He kind of was if you think about it.

I think I listened to him on Sirius back in 2011.

>Jandek and Me
One of the only interviews I've ever read.. and all this time I forgot that Jandek takes the blue pill

Mopeds are a hipster thing but he's not a hipster.

fuck off gen z scum

I read hro since before alt report existed, and you're worse at aping his tone than anyone else I've ever seen, to the point where I feel genuine anger over the retroactive desecration of an ironic consciously detached dead blog

Shit cat

23 only cause of my older brother

Look at this dumb motherfucker. Reads one dfw essay and it stopped him from understanding anything else he comes into contact with for the rest of his life.

how am i

wow, he really predicted just how hard pitchfork would shift away from indie (and therefore white music) and towards hip-hop

kill yourself you fat fuck

What about you kys

American Apparel model.

woi

“I need more drinks and less lights/ And that American Apparel girl in just tights/ She told the director she tryna get into school/ He said 'Take them glasses off and get in the pool.'”

woo lad kanye really does have a lyric for everything