Prog recs?

So far my prog experience is mostly surface level stuff like 70's King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, and Gentle Giant. I've also listened to Pictures by Islands and Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator.

Anything close to these bands/albums would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WS6Dp1RVVwo
youtube.com/watch?v=v3cTPLC4NtI
youtube.com/watch?v=DJNB5z473BU
youtube.com/watch?v=z9yb3LKB1Tc&
youtube.com/watch?v=VBhJ86RBsyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=f-KKoSXLXbU
youtube.com/watch?v=uuNTO31FlY8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you like Yes you'll like Rush. Skip the self titled, and don't go past Signals unless you really like what you're hearing.

Also Camel, Mirage is a good starting point for them.

post giger get giger my friend
youtube.com/watch?v=WS6Dp1RVVwo

youtube.com/watch?v=v3cTPLC4NtI

youtube.com/watch?v=DJNB5z473BU

Prog general when?

look up Rock in Opposition

Listen to Goodbluff and Still Life by Van der Graaf Generator. Also If you like that you could try Hammill's solo career too, specially The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage and In Camera. Also try I recommend this one youtube.com/watch?v=z9yb3LKB1Tc&

God, I'm stupid, Godbluff*, I don't why I wrote it with other "o".

Ordered by date

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Red Krayola - The Parable of Arable Land
Axe - Live & Studio
Mandrake Memorial - Puzzle
Schizofrenia - Taste Of blues
(you might call these proto-prog)

Soft Machine - I-III
A.R. & Machines - Die Grüne Reise, Echo
Emerson Lake & Palmer - s/t, Tarkus, Trilogy
Caravan - IICDIAAIDIAOY, Land Of Grey And Pink
Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke
Uriah Heap - Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble, Demons and Wizards
The Trip - Caronte, Atlantica
Catapilla - s/t, Changes
Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill
Fields - s/t
Jade Warrior - s/t
Nektar - Journey to the Center of the Eye, Remember the Future, A Tab in the Ocean
May Blitz - s/t
Thundermother - No Red Rowan
Ten Years After - A Space In Time
Aphrodite's Child - 666
Wishbone Ash - Argus, There's The Rub
Cymande - s/t
Cold Sun - Dark Shadows
Stringtronics - Mindbender
Ithaca - A Game For All Who Know
ELO - On The Third Day, Time
The Cosmic Jokers - s/t, Galactic Supermarket
Eloy - Floating, Dawn, Ocean
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia
Camel - Mirage
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time, Space Ritual
Magical Power Mako - Super Record
Druid - Toward The Sun
Absolute Elsewhere - In Search Of Ancient Gods
Goblin - Roller
Novalis - Aufbruch
Les Rallizes Denudes - '77 Live, Heavier Than A Death In The Family
Dice - s/t
The Pop Group - Y
Tempo E Mondo - Um Mundo a Construir
Blue Oyster Cult - Fire Of Unknown Origin
Masayoshi Takanaka - Rainbow Goblins

and that brings us to about the end of the golden age

Is Camel really worth it? I never paid attention to them because I felt they were latecomers. What did they have to offer in 1974-onwards that hadn't already been done?

I've only heard Mirage but it's very polished and an enjoyable listen. They didn't necessarily break much ground, but neither did any other prog records past '74. Those years saw a lot of really well done prog like Mirage, Roller, Rock Bottom, as they were able to look back, building on and perfecting the sounds of the past decade. This is when prog stopped being actually progressive. As early as '74, music's cutting edge was already beginning to shift toward punk, metal, and electronica with releases like Red and Phaedra

>neither did any other prog records past '74
To be fair, Rush 75-78 brought a hard rock/power trio edge to prog that was unheard of at the time, even when compared with albums like Red which still retains much of the delicateness and sophistication of early prog. Then, the post-canterbury scene mixed jazz, psychedelia and electronic music and the "art rock" (think Peter Gabriel's first four solo albums and Brian Eno's 1973 - 1979 period) scene was able to condense the feverish experimentation of Krautrock and the layered, polished sound of english prog into a "pop" format without losing credibility. Then there's also neoprog. I've no idea how people feel about the 79-86 scene and bands such as Twelfth Night, IQ and Marillion here.

Gong - Flying teapot (Radio Gnome invisible part 1)

I really recommend it as it's not ordinary sounding prog, it's very naïf but has some very interesting ideas, and to me it's just pure fumln. plus, the musicians are very good

That's pretty much Sup Forumscore. I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about that band's output between 1970 and 1974

OP didn't mention Gong in his post, so i thought it would make a good listen

OP should check out italo prog: Stormy Six, Le Orme, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Area POPular Group, Biglietto Per L'Inferno,e tc

and then there's Polygondwanaland where King Gizzard's wild gimmicks and memeing produced a decent prog album in 2017

Here's what a modern progressive masterpiece sounds like

youtube.com/watch?v=VBhJ86RBsyQ

youtube.com/watch?v=f-KKoSXLXbU

e op lisen to dis

prog? this shit is for nerds, listen to some punk rock

youtube.com/watch?v=uuNTO31FlY8

cool not pretty hey this cringe at is all

This. R.I.O. is what you listen to when prog doesn't challenge you anymore.

Henry Cow, Art Bears, Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Etron Fou Leloublan, Aksak Maboul, Present, Dün, René Lussier Debile Menthol and Frith's solo works 1980-1981 (including Massacre's debut) are all far more complex and yet more energetic and wild than any prog scene.

It's a tight fucking album, dude, in spite of the fact it came out in 1980. Sounds like the Spanish answer to Banco or PFM.

>spanish 80s discount italo
>that cover

What did you think of this one?