/daily/ I will never respect the grinch edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sodra_bergens_balalaikor/sodra_bergens_balalaikor/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sodra_bergens_balalaikor/1973/
scammers.bandcamp.com/album/cover-you
youtube.com/watch?v=fQxbGtwbR-s
thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-muzak-pelly
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Previous thread:

First for review

>Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
ANGREY, but still fun and raw and everything that a punk record should be. Great stuff.
7/10
>Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
Good abstract rap. Fantastic flow, great lyrics, gets slow after a while but overall good.
6/10
>Ekkehard Ehlers - Plays John Cassavetes
I have a big soft spot for ambient tape music. I love the atmosphere, the beautifal sounds, that calming etherial feeling. This does all of that for me and then some. Amazing stuff. Also the second track could go on forever.
9/10

Modern Jester has some great ideas but poor executions in some tracks. "Shatter All Organized Activities (Eat The Rich)" was genuinely creepy tho. That recent Dilloway album expands his work or is Jester his best?

Btw I'm following my chart, just haven't felt like writing much; will try to dump some reviews this week.

to make the grinch grin I would show him your 5s

Which?

>only 3 away from mine
readying myself for a dillinger pan

fish what is that cover

did you listen to this album: rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sodra_bergens_balalaikor/sodra_bergens_balalaikor/

yeahyeah I did

I accidentally used the cover for this album:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sodra_bergens_balalaikor/1973/

which is what came up first on google images. The one I downloaded had that cover from rym tho

>The one I downloaded had that cover from rym tho
I should clarify, it had the cover from the album you linked to in your post

someone gimme a cute lil ep to listen to while eating this smol pizza

minor thredd

everything
Gloria Ann Taylor & Walter Whisenhunt's Orchestra - Deep Inside You (amazing!!!(

pizza ep by horse the band

Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites (2005)
>progressive pop, dream pop

Frengers has the better songs ("Comforting Sounds", the absolutely /sublime/ "She Came Home for Christmas"), this is the better album as a whole. It's sequenced incredibly well, songs lead into each other without a hitch. The sound is pretty homogenous, and the songs themselve overindulgent and a tad sicky sweet, especially when it veers into more prog-rock territory. As bland as some tracks on this album may seem, I really can't think of many other albums that sound like this, and for that I have to give it lots of credit.

2.5+

Bob Dylan - Desire (1976)
>folk rock, singer/songwriter

"Hurricane" is the big political piece to roar in a totally different Dylan from the lovelorn, bitter sadsack present on Blood on the Tracks. It's total glitz and glamour that never digs beyond the surface, but it's a great, passionate song, and one of Dylan's most purely fun. The rest of the album stays on this track, with a few falters. Besides "Mozambique" and "Oh, Sister" aren't much to write home about, and the more country-fried takes a while to get going. When the b-side does get going, however, it's some of Dylan's absolute best work.

3.0+

Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel (1971)
>krautrock, psychedelic rock

B-side drags, a-side is an absolutely phenomenal piece of hard-hitting, ass-kicking krautrock, and that's not something we see terribly often. It's funny hearing the a-side only really knowing Ash Ra Tempel and Gottsching from New Ages of Earth and E2-E4, it's a boot-stomping, driving hard rock piece from an artist primarily known for beautiful ambient soundscapes, and it's impeccable, especially the drumming. The b-side is much more of an ambient piece, yet it lacks the skill and dexterity that makes Gottsching's later ambient works so good.

3.0-

alright cool just wanted to make sure

glad u liked it, even if i didn't move on

Oooh shit SICK my friend's dad started that band

lol wait what that's awesome

really?!?!

Haven't listened to modern jester but I listened to his 2017 album and I came to the exact same conclusion. Sometimes good spooky atmosphere, other times the concept was more interesting than the music.

Yeah, my friend from my high school class
Also Södra Bergens rehearsal space is right next to my favorite cafe in town, they have a big sign outside

Ash Ra Tempel rules, the follow-up too. Always thought it was crazy how much his guitar playing that A side just sounds like E2-E4

Here we go

George Clinton - Computer Games (1982)
>P-Funk

Some really solid p-funk right here, it’s basically a Funkadelic album, with contributors such as Bernie Worrell, Bootsy Collins, and Garry Shider all chiming in here. They really tie the whole thing together providing that trademark funk sound, with bouncy guitar, shimmering keyboard and some glorious slap bass. It’s clearly at the tail end of Clinton’s career though, some of the magic of P-Funk is gone. Much of that feels like it’s the technology. The keyboard leans a lot more toward an 80s synth vibe, sounding more like Prince than anything P-Funk ever made.

The craziest thing about this album is how much its influence is apparent now. It’s essentially a prototype for *Doggystyle*. The dog on “Atomic Dog” is the obvious one, dominating a lot of Snoop’s early tracks (“Fuck Wit Dre Day”, “Who Am I”) but there are a lot of hints toward this album’s influence on g-funk as a whole.It’s honestly pretty cool to hear how such a… goofy sound was transformed into some intense shit like 10 years later. It’s also obvious to hear how much a modern funk artist like Bruno Mars draws from little riffs here and there.

Overall, it’s a very solid album. The standouts in “Loopzilla”, “Atomic Dog” and the title track are fantastic and some of the better funk songs I’ve heard in recent memory. Plus it’s so fun and uplifting which is everything I love out of the genre.

3.5/5

fuck sondre lerche tho

Sondre Lerche is cool

@nyarlathoptehtp

is this sondre leche in disguise
scammers.bandcamp.com/album/cover-you

@nyar is this Sondre Lerche in transition? pls tell me you can hear it tooo
youtube.com/watch?v=fQxbGtwbR-s

Nice, I deffo expected a pan.
If yer curious I've removed Dead Kennedys and replaced it with Birthday Party - Live 81-82, definitely an album worth a listen

Birthday party has been in my backlog for a while, I'll definitely get to it soon.

no
this sounds closer to scott walker than it does to lerche

and this is more like parenthetical girls

Wall of Voodoo - Dark Continent (1981)
>new wave, minimal wave

Eerie, synth-laden take on new wave. Works really well at creating effectively spooky atmospheres, doesn't work that great when it comes to actual songs, especially when influences from styles as out-there as spaghetti western get brought in. It's fun to here that style on an album like this, but it's incorporated in a really ham-fisted manner that doesn't work.

2.5+

that's incredible dude! love that album.

yeah, you're not wrong. gottsching is a legend

ree

like cosmos soundtrack or i shidd

Babes in Toyland - Fontanelle (1992)
>grunge, riot grrrl, punk rock

Pretty solid riot grrrl that's a bit too heavy on the grunge. Like so many other grunge albums, this is absolutely awesome when it amps up the power and anger. The heavier moments here might be among the angriest, most passionate riot grrrl I've ever heard, and that's saying a lot. It strays away from the more social aspects of riot grrrl and taps into something primal and incredibly angry. That's just the heavier stuff, the quiet sections are incredibly weak and do nothing but take away from the rest of the album.

2.5+

Angel, glad you enjoyed Ehlers! That ep is from a larger collection where he does drone-y stuff influenced by different artists, including Robert Johnson. Lot of fun

for tourney
Thomas Mapfumo & The Blacks Unlimited - Gwindingwi Rine Shumba

late night jamz

This was very nice!

Drone-y and repetitive but it had a great feel to it, like 98.12.28 in atmosphere. Good stuff.

>like 98.12.28 in atmosphere
hmmm

last half for sure I could see that

Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream of Trains (1984)
>singer/songwriter, psychedelic folk

A cool, surreal collection of loosely-related vignettes. Some tracks here display pure songwriting genius, like "Cathedral" and both of the "Nocturne" pieces. Other tracks are aggravating, showcasing Hitchcock's idiosyncratic, distinctly British sense of humo(u)r that misses its mark completely. The more humorous tracks generally end up as the least interesting musically as well, save for the wonderful a cappella tracks. I'm really intrigued by this, it's spotty as hell but it's got a super unique sound, mood, and structure that I can't help but really appreciate it.

2.5+

Tonstartssbandht - Sorcerer (2017)
>neo-psychedelia

Neo-psychedelia is such a generally stagnant genre, it's really nice to see an artist take a genre like that out of its typical confined and make something new, weird, and exciting. It takes a lot of influence from some of the high-profile neo-psychedelia acts—AnCo, The Flaming Lips, Spiritualized, etc., yet it's got a really heavy jam band aspect to it that sets it apart. The first two tracks dabble a lot more in ambient and drone, the last track is a full-fledged, noisy jam band freak out, and it's incredible. Check this one out.

>Long Season came out October 25, 1996
>Season came out September 26, 1996
yfw Season isn't a short version of Long Season, but the other way around

boy you on dumb

Belle and Sebastian - How to Solve Our Human Problems (Part 1) (2017)
>indie pop

Belle and Sebastian somewhat return to their older sound here, eschewing the nu-disco sound from their newest LP for a quieter sound very reminiscent of their twee pop days. While they take this sound back with the same confidence they had back in the '90s, it's obvious that Murdoch's songwriting chops aren't quite what they used to be. The songs are still catchy, they just lack that spark that makes Tigermilk or If You're Feeling Sinister so great.

2.0+

can't spell crap without RAP

a dead thread
which is TRUE
it's TRUE

Hey /daily/, anyone got some winter album recs?

stockpiling for next winter?

olivia block // heave to
jacob kirkegaard // eldfjall

He uses some really shit sonic textures on his loops, the first three minutes of Body Chaos is a good example of what I'm talking about. But he does deliver some interesting loops afterwards in the same song.

John Martyn - Solid Air is about as good as it gets for being comfy next to a fireplace on an icy winter's night. It pairs very well with hot chocolate.

feeling this will become a 6* someday soon

wew

hey guys, today your herb boy is two years short of posting legally on the chans!!!

Congrats herb! Here's to many more!

I saw an interesting article thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-muzak-pelly
tl;dr Even though Spotify "disrupted" the music industry, they are the new corporate overlords. All your normie friends' taste will be more and more homogenized as they listen to whatever playlists Spotify feeds them. If you're an indie musician or trying to get started, you have to make sure not to rock the boat too much in order to be noticed.

good thing we have /mu where nobody gives a shit about corporate agendas. Also, props to the Wire for choosing a sound collage album as their release of the year - even if you think it's shit, it's good to see that there is still independent music journalism out there.

That is interesting, I have a personal aversion to a lot of things labeled "chill", it usually just sounds like wall paper trying to be boards of canada.

I wasn't expecting /daily/ to start peddling leftist agendas, not complaining though.

>shunning corporations
>leftist agenda
???

The article keeps on dropping "capitalist" like it's an insult.

Also hating corporations is inherently leftist ancaps go home

>ancap
DO NOT insult me

Also for a moment I switched left and right, ignore me I'm idiot.

>you have to make sure not to rock the boat too much in order to be noticed.
Isn't this just music since music ever though?

Nothing has changed, it's just faster now.

>leftist ancaps go home
:O?????

>I wasn't expecting /daily/ to start peddling leftist agendas
this is a post-ironic stalinist general

a little premature imo, spotify is not done with 'disrupting' just yet, and the effects of such a changed model are yet to be seen in popular music writ large. it's definitely not clear how things will look in ten or even five years.

I found the vinyl thing most interesting though - I've always intuited a complementarity between the way in which streaming has become the dominant model on the one hand and the resurgence of vinyl sales on the other, so to see spotify making noises in that direction is quite odd.

as far as I can see however the article is really only lamenting for the major label model which was always excluding those on the margins or in marginal scenes. the idea that popular 'taste' will become homogenised or lobotomised seems pretty mawkish and disconnected from reality - how does this account for the most innovative pop music on the planet right now? it's more popular than ever, more political then ever, and on the surface more progressive than ever too.

>the most innovative pop music on the planet right now
which is rap music

thanks man, feels good to say I'm looking forward to it

return of the polymath

how are things going man? whatchya been up to?

daily is vry leftie minus jangle and dogwander

aaaaa I meant this first reply to go here herbkid is the opposite of polymath

Remember when O Superman reached #2 in the charts? It seems events like that are far more rare nowadays.

Define innovative.

>Definitely innovative
I agree!

>Richard Hawley - Lowedges
A collection of sweet ballads, once the melodies start to get repetitive you're left with the romantic mood that covers this album as the one thing to remark, there's where its charm rests.
5.5+

>herbkid is the opposite of polymath
and that's where you're wrong
1 day you'll understand...

hey herbie boy, hope you've been good
happy birthday cutie

A couple more oldies I’m just now reviewing.

>Pisces - A Lovely Sight (2009)

Another good re-issue from The Numero Group—and actually, from what I understand this is the first official release of this long-lost 60s psychedelic album. Overall, the sound is best characterized by pop with discernible folk elements throughout and varying degrees of psychedelia, as in “not very” on the Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac folk of “Are You Changing in Your Time” to “very,” as on The United States of America-esque musique concrete and sound collage of “Mary,” “Genesis II,” and the great catchy “Elephant Eyes.” I will say that nobody with a nominal interest in psychedelia will find the material offensive, as the pop is never saccharine nor is the experimentation ever nonsensical or self-indulgent, and that this even has quite a bit of crossover appeal for those not interested in psychedelia.
7/10

>13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere (1967)

A great deal more sophisticated than their debut, The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, which is often (wrongfully) credited as the very first psychedelic rock album. I shouldn’t need to point out some individual elements that make this group so unique and iconic. It’s a year later and the genre that they helped build is quite a bit more developed with songs that step out beyond the predominantly garage sound of the debut with a bit more acid rock. I would be remiss in not mentioning the opener, “Slip Inside This House,” which I consider this band’s masterpiece, an ultimate and defining track of the 60s, and one of the greatest studio recordings of all time. It’s a singular, apocalyptic vision held together by a primal and mercurial theme and the empassioned prophetic ramblings of Roky Erikson. I can’t help but suspect Bob Dylan would get a kick out of this cut.
8/10

>Ceramic TL / Ipek Gorgun - Perfect Lung (2017)

AOTY. Working on a more comprehensive review shortly.

Thanks rudi, all's been great, relaxing atm then heading off to celebrate (:
don't like the idea of fishing for people to wish me happy bday but figured some people here might honestly care

>Prolapse - The Italian Flag
Wonderful indie noise rock. Great instrumentation, good lyrics, and a great flow. Overall good stuff.
6/10
>R. Stevie Moore - Delicate Tension
At some points this is really good but at other points it is horrible. Sadily it never goes above really good but when it's good it is good. Fun instrumentation and interseting lyrics really pick this album up. Also it's too long.
5/10
>Antena - Camino del sol
Electric bossa nova shouldn't work but here it is quite good. Calming atmosphere, soothing vocals, and nice instrumentation. This is some good stuff.
6/10

>Goldenrod - Goldenrod (1969)

Many reviewers here are calling this hard rock, and fine, but the fact is that this is fundamentally psychedelic at its core, and it can't be separated. The heavy metal, spaced-out, Hendrix-meets-blues-influenced jams that spontaneously ramp-up or settle-down and diverge into drawn-out percussive movements before returning again. Some of the playing here is reminiscent of Grateful Dead jams from 1970-1974. In fact, with only four long tracks that break off with solos--all improvised and solely instrumental--just the structure is closer to one you'd find on a jazz album than your conventional hard rock album.
8.5/10

>King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana (2017)

I may never understand this band's reputation as the de facto psychedelic rock band of this half of the decade when they do a style quite similar to Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall. But the kicker is that none of these bands are primarily psychedelic at all (Thee Oh Sees is on occasion). Even Tame Impala toyed with undeniably psychedelic progressions and shifts on a couple albums. Rather, this is retrofitted radio-friendly garage rock at heart that's been so en vogue in the rock world for the past x years--the variety that has undeniable psych elements in production, tones, and aesthetics without such an off-the-wall embrace of the experimentation that drives the genre.

Now, the concept (gimmick?) here--the microtonal guitar--is indeed far-out. My problems with it are as follows: they don't know how to play it, it's not a full embrace of its microtonality, and it certainly doesn't fit while the rest of a full band plays traditional 12-point western scales. For what it's the worth, the moments with shehnai do break the spell momentarily, as on the truly eastern-influenced title-track. Most commonly, the effect, as on "Rattlesnake," is of a simple western melody played "out of tune," rather than of a unique sound. Beside its untapped potential, its biggest sin is the unfortunate tendency to base every single vocal melody note-for-note on its corresponding guitar riff. It makes me suspect that every song is born instantly from a thoughtless guitar riff. And with this band's extreme prolific output, I think it's a distinct possibility.
4/10

Happy bday senpai

nicenice, sounds good man
your life starts now...
have fun w/ your friends!

>I may never understand this band's reputation
it's their gimmicks duuuh

>funny guitar album

always had the opinion that king gizzard are 90 parts gimmick 10 parts substance. for some reason the hipster kids that flock to my local record store eat that shit up

tried to make a normal chart but i'm not good with schedules so my listening is kinda sporadic. oh well :-)

wew i really like this style

ty friend. how's your day goin?

Yeah idk, at the risk of sounding cynical or elitist, too much is getting passed off as psych when a lot of kids just really like guitar pedals and chillwave.

THIS IS YOUR BAPTISM

I'm bored and want somewhere to vent my shit opinions so I'm trying this again. How's my chart?

Jorge Ben and Sandwell District good

abba gold go hard

kakashi is beaut

there's too many good 2017 albums fuccccccck

woo

cLOUDDEAD – cLOUDDEAD (2001)
>Abstract Hip Hop, Ambient, Experimental Hip Hop
Sounds pretty much exactly like the cover looks like. It creates a hazy atmosphere with lots of layers while the (higly idiosyncratic) rapping is sprinkled on top. It’s good, but I guess they could bring their point across in less than an hour. 3/6

Professor Longhair – Crawfish Siesta (1980)
>New Orleans R&B, Piano Blues
I prefer the faster, boogie-inspired tracks to the slower, bluesy ones which are a bit boring in my opinion. The highlight is definitely the opener Big Chief with its distinct whistling. 3/6

Tragic Mulatto – Hot Man Pussy (1989)
>Noise Rock, Post-Hardcore
Dirty, hard-driving bass, crunch guitars, amazing female vocals and the incorporation of trumpets (sometimes sounding like a ship’s horn) make this a great dirty noise rock record. It reminds me a bit of Dog Faced Hermans, but with more toilet humor. 4/6

those strawberries look delicious and disgusting at the same time

can barely tell the difference between the two greens

agree about the greens

coin coin chapter one is a great album

I agree (already listened to it once, I rate after 2 listens), Pov Piti especially is a great track imo.

it's going well. i have my final exam tomorrow and then im off on xmas vacation so thats pretty exciting
hby pal?

wew, am I officially the one with worst taste on /daily/ now or?

you wish it was that easy

We will see, there will be a tier list

>Kill Bill - RAMONA
Great flow, great beats, great lyrics, everything is great.
7/10
>椎名林檎- 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花
Cute and fun. The voices are wonderful, the instrumentation is nice and poppy, and it is varied enough that every song is enjoyable and different. Great stuff.
7/10
>Jeff Rosenstock - WORRY.
Everything I want from pop punk. Aggression, fun lyrics, a constant fast paced flow, all that gives me a pumped up feeling that I can't help but love.
7/10

Forgot to mention this but the FLCL samples in RAMONA made my day

mine's going well too. sadly my exams just begin tomorrow :/ not too worried about em tho
can't say i remember the tracks by name, but i do distinctly remember thinking that that album is exactly how spoken word should be done.

d
e
a
d