/indy/ - Indycar General

Freedom Edition, nothing screams freedom like corn or sky being processed and packaged into millions of different products.

indycar.com/schedule
indycar.com/news

Standings:
1. Scott Dixon - 379
2. Simon Pagenaud - 345
3. Helio Castroneves - 342
4. Takuma Sato - 323
5. Josef Newgarden - 318
6. Will Power - 316
7. Graham Rahal - 307
8. Tony Kanaan - 273
9. Alexander Rossi - 271
10. Ed Jones - 254

Next race is the Iowa Corn Indy 300 at Iowa Speedway on NBCSN, July 9th.

Practice 1: July 8th at 11:00am ET (Live Streamed)
Qualifications: July 8th at 3:00pm ET (Live on NBCSN)
Final Practice: July 8th at 7:15pm ET (Live Streamed)
Race: July 9th at 5pm ET (Live on NBCSN)

Other urls found in this thread:

autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130447
racer.com/indycar/item/141876-ecr-chevys-fast-at-iowa-indycar-test
motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/wickens-not-interested-in-full-time-indycar-switch-despite-practice-run/amp/
youtube.com/watch?v=SVl2PuojmJg
turbo.deepart.io
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuderia_Telmex
autoweek.com/article/indycar/dale-coyne-sebastien-bourdais-already-planning-2018-comeback-title-run?
youtube.com/watch?v=Bdrv3hU7Cxk
racer.com/indycar/item/141898-podcast-the-week-in-indycar-news-june-29
youtu.be/Auk5uw0MYcA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gutierrez is keen to see a race in Mexico.
A couple locations have been fingered as possible venues.
autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130447
It seems Indycar would like an oval race down there rather than using a dedicated road course. Sound marketing decision to differentiate Indycar from other Formulas if so, but the Puebla oval needs some safety updates if that's going to happen and Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez's Oval is a no go due to impaired sightlines by the stadium in the infield.
The road course at Rodriguez could be fair game there potentially if the FIA and F1 were comfortable with it and a promoter could be found.

Ed Carpenter Racing led the time charts at Iowa Speedway testing yesterday.
No other Chevrolet team was present as Penske and Foyt were not there, not necessarily an indication of how Honda will perform given that Ganassi's team was not there as well, but Honda's aero is at a disadvantage where efficient(low drag) Downforce is needed.
racer.com/indycar/item/141876-ecr-chevys-fast-at-iowa-indycar-test

Robert Wickens, that one Leaf who was really slow in practice while filling in for Mikhail on Friday this weekend, surprise, surprise said that he wasn't interested in trying for a full time Indycar program.
In seriousness though, Robert was better than James Hinchcliffe in all of the ladder formulas, had his sights set on F1, but placed 2nd one year in the Red Bull Development program and was dropped, he was really just there to set up Mikhail's car.
A DTM drive with Mercedes probably pays well and Wickens could retire without having to worry about serious injuries throughout his career.
motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/wickens-not-interested-in-full-time-indycar-switch-despite-practice-run/amp/

I say street race.

If it was set up like São Paulo Brazil's Street race was, then I'm all for it.
That track had a wide, nearly mile long, straight away.
youtube.com/watch?v=SVl2PuojmJg

That was almost Josef Newgarden's first Indycar win. Wasn't to be though, Josef's first win would come at Alabama in 2015 with CFH Racing.

How aesthetic is your favorite car?
Find out.
turbo.deepart.io

they kept asking Alonso that, and now Wickens
why does the IndyCar media always do this

>be pro driver
>do one IndyCar race
>one of us ONE OF US ONE OF US FULL TIME CONFIRMED
>uh no

Kek.
Yeah only certain outlets even bother asking drivers that.
Sometimes it feels like the journalists surrounding Indycar are participating in amateur hour at all times, at least we have Robin and Marshall.
It's good just to have press really.

yeah there's a vibe of "do you notice us? are we important? pls respond" to the way they covered alonso and also wickens

desu I'd never heard of Wickens before but one mediocre practice session and everyone drools over him. Reminded me of Luca Filippi a bit.

Or that German ALMS driver who raced Sonoma a few years ago.
With that said I'm pleased to see drivers crossing disciplines.

This car turned into more of a monster than an art piece.
I think I'm done for now.

Dale Coyne confirmed that he will run 3 cars when Bourdais returns.
Likely running a third car in 2018 with Gutierrez(or someone depending on his results)

Good to hear, but... who's going to pay for it?

Why do you suppose GUT got a ride?
He likely brings funding and mid season, that was something Coyne was in need of.
He'll probably keep Gutierrez around next season as well.

...but who is paying for Gutierrez?

...and why?

...what does he have on them?

On one hand in English media both US and UK/CAN Indy and F1 are about the same popularity. Obviously F1 is 10x bigger (almost literally) when you add in the rest of the world.

Its good for clicks from both your F1 crowd and your Indy crowd if you ask a driver from one series a question about another.

but Wickens is from Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:^)

Indycar may also have a vested interest in keeping him around to use as traction for a race in Mexico.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuderia_Telmex

Carlos Slim

Here's the source for it for those interested.
autoweek.com/article/indycar/dale-coyne-sebastien-bourdais-already-planning-2018-comeback-title-run?

Pls
Just give us a livery like this, you can stay Esteban if you just pull through with Fernandez old Livery.

>Just give us a livery like this, you can stay Esteban if you just pull through with Fernandez old Livery.
Fuck no, that livery is too much for that fucking shit gutierrez.

It would be a disgrace, he wouldn't do honor to it, sacrilege, he wouldn't do it justice.

We don't have any other Mexican drivers though ;_;

You may follow some Mexican drivers, if you could choose a driver to take up the Fernandez mantle, who would it be?

I don't actually follow the mexican motorsport scene like at all(don't even know if there is still one).
I don't even like the current mexican drivers.

The possibility of that livery appearing on a non-Mexican driver is almost none.

Which drivers do you follow then?(any series)
Who of them would you want to see given a ride?

Nobody, i just watch the racing i feel like watching and support the car that has a bright livery.

it works 100% of the time.

I can dig it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bdrv3hU7Cxk

So I happened to watch this particular "remix" that Indycar put out of the Road America race.
The video includes Team Radio and Driver transmissions.
Many of these transmissions contain words like "Fuck" or "Motherfucker took me out." t. Tony Kanaan.

kek

One last bump do the evening so we actually survive the night.

Got a long way till July 9th.

An idle question for you all, do you think anyone with over 300 points this season still has a shot at the championship?

How big was Simon's points lead at this point last season?
I remember him leading most of last season, Scott will probably take it, but a lot could happen in the next 8 races.

How come indycar doesn't go to Brazil anymore.

they didn't pay the sanctioning fee last time

Who do we have to bribe to get a race back on the Gold Coast? Just tell me where to put the brown paper bag.

There were talks about an Australian race a while ago.
Gone a bit quiet, but as international countries go I think that's a priority to see a race back there.
Foreign race are particularly expensive though. The Sanctioning fee is a fair shake higher to cover travel costs.
If you find a promoter willing to take on the race then that would be a start.

GEHL will be returning as Graham's primary sponsor at Iowa Speedway.

I wish this livery designer had just used photoshop on some of the released renders, something about the model they use just looks off, this one isn't as bad, but others have messed up proportions(I think) as they built it in another program.

So, why is Indy still a national series? Why won't it go touring around the world at European and Asian tracks and instead sticks in North America?

Need promoters.
Obviously we have international drivers and fans, but it's expensive to get things moving on other continents.

I do think we need about 5 international events though.
One in Mexico, the UK, Australia, Japan, and [Insert your favourite track].
If we had a 15 race domestic schedule with 5 international races, that would be neat.

CART was becoming an international series prior to the Split, Bernie was not amused.

>, and [Insert your favourite track].
Monza!
Spa!
Catalunya!

An FIA grade 1 track that's currently not on the F1 calendar would probably work too.
There's a lot of neglected racing markets, some due to just poor attendance, which I understand, but others due to Bernie dropping them in favor of a track somewhere in East Asia or the Middle East.

Is an car an athlete?

A driver is desu senpai.

Robin Miller and Marshall Pruett review the Indycar race at Road America and the news week.
racer.com/indycar/item/141898-podcast-the-week-in-indycar-news-june-29

Marshall needs to watch the "White Men" rhetoric. I get that bull has been taught at university for 60+ years now, but someone needs to catch on eventually.
No group is an island and decisions affect all.

As for why women don't tend to go racing is likely due to a myriad of factors outside of talent and funding.
Men don't like putting women in dangerous situations, racing is dangerous and team owners are all men. Our society puts more value on women, imagine the kind of "SHUT IT DOWN" crying that would happen if Danica Patrick had lost her life.
Women also have to sacrifice their best years to have children in order to have a racing career. In general business, owners are afraid to hire women for important jobs because they could fall pregnant at any time and take maternity leave.
Men have an biological aptitude towards mathematics and engineering. Cars are a mechanical marvel of the modern age so men find them more fascinating, therefore more men get into a racing career on some level. Women who want to do this are very rare, it's not a situation of "oh, they just don't know they want to." They likely just don't want to or we'd see a statistical trend somewhere.

I didn't realize its a week and a half until next race.

what the fuck

Shit sucks, but we should have enough news to cover.
Iowa last year was a clinic put on by Josef Newgarden.
Honda mistook RHR's car for a crop duster and set up the engine accordingly because it blew a huge plume of white smoke all down the backstretch.

this

I wish there was a race every week

I found this cool video with a side by side on board lap comparison between a F1 car and a CART-era IndyCar, both doing a lap at Circuit Gilles Villenueve. the F1 car is not a whole lot faster.

youtu.be/Auk5uw0MYcA

obviously the small time difference would add up over an entire race, but it's impressive that Indy Cars can get this close to F1 cars with a tiny fraction of the engineering budget.

Not really all that close.
You'll have to recall that 2014 was the slowest season in the last 30 years.

According to Chevrolet's aero kit testing done in November 2014 at COTA, the Chevy Indycar would have been 10-11th position in F1's 2014 qualifying session.

The new regulations F1 has gives the cars a ton more Downforce, the wide tires give much more mechanical grip, and the engines are more powerful than in 2014.

The closest Indycar might have ever been was within 2 seconds a lap.

you're forgetting that Indy Car teams have a tiny fraction of the budget

I'm not forgetting it.
GTP Sport Cars were faster than Indycars in the mid 80's to early 90's on about the same(or less) budget. Can Am cars were faster than both Indycar and F1 during the 70's.
It's all down to what the regulations allow.
It would be reasonably simple(and much cheaper) to build a car faster than an F1 car(assuming one has the budget). It would look a lot like a Le Man prototype, but stripped of that stupid Energy recovery/Hybrid system and any extra weight while maximizing DF and putting a light-weight 1000HP engine in the back.
The car could probably manage a second a lap faster.
Comparing different Formulas monetary expenditure for this reason is a bit silly, but we can compare and contrast the performance.

I wish someone would bring back GTP and Group C cars, but modernized a bit with safety and things like that

The LMP1/2 are modern evolutions of the aero concepts found on GTP and Group C.
I just wish the engines had ~1000hp like they did back then. Instead we're stuck with these 400hp IC engines with this goofy Hybrid/KERS system(temporary 4-500hp) that's way too expensive to implement into road cars anyway.
The cars could be making it to 250mph before the chicanes on Mulsanne at Le Mans.

Now that I think about it, it would be fucking awesome for Indycar to turn up the boost on the cars so they produce 850-900hp.
Turn it back down for ovals, whatever, but they'd be properly quick on road courses then in combination with the huge DF they already produce.
Was just watching an old CART race from 1999.

Obviously they don't do that for cost concerns and the desire to keep the engines going to for longer, but a good thought anyway.

why can't we crank up the horsepower? in any series?
is it really just costs? or are they scared someone will die

No. This pic can't be real.
Tortilla?
Macarena?
Its a beautiful course, formula one roval round when?
>tfw meme magic is building magnificent race courses.

S E R I E S O F P E A C E

It really is just cost as Indycar is concerned. The only places their concerned about safety are ovals and that can be fixed with a boost adjustment.
F1 and LMP1 engines are a complete package, the internal combustion units are barely being pushed, but the hybrid systems they have one them are under threat to fail.

That's the Puebla oval.
It needs that inner retaining wall removed though and replaced with a wall+catch fence 10 yards back.

outta the way, the king is here.

As far as INDYCAR is concerned you're likely the target audience. IMSA too. USA is road racing putos as far as the organizations seem to care.

Its funny how after over 15 years of watching CART, IRL and Indycar i'm still a turbo casual.

is it time for the next race yet? reeeeeee

If only.

speaking of #Hinchtown, I'm betting on Hinch as most likely to replace Tony Kanaan at Ganassi next year.

TK is done except for Indy 500 run offs

*one offs

but seriously, Hinch's contract at SPM runs out this year. and no way Chip keeps TK in that seat unless he's an idiot with no plan for the future.

Hinch or RHR(who is getting older himself).
How many other championship calibur will be free next year?
You're right, Dixon is getting older and he's the last truly competitive(almost dominant really) driver Chip has right now.

RHR was offered a Penske seat in 2012 but he declined and stayed loyal to Andretti.

and now he's paying the price.

Was that after his 2012 championship?
Perhaps, but he does still have the number one seat at Andretti and probably will for the forseeable future despite performance.

I can also appreciate loyalty to a team. Josef's decision to go to Penske was not an easy decision as he enjoyed having the #1 seat at ECR.

I think RHR wanted to be "the Number One guy" at Andretti, knowing that wasn't gonna happen at Penske or Ganassi

but now with Rossi coming in, and Sato winning the 500, he's not that number one guy anymore.

>also I heard a rumor of Andretti switching to Chevrolet but I don't know if I believe it because Sato would leave if that happened

pure speculation, I'm no expert but it's fun and keeps the thread bumped.

Andretti and Honda said that rumor was news to them(that doesn't mean anything though), but I agree it would mean Sato was done.
He may retire anyway though, he did the one thing that he could hope for, he'll never be a championship contender.

Chevrolet might see the value in having many teams because Honda has wiped the floor with Chevy.
I wouldn't be surprised if they talked with Andretti for that simple reason.

>Honda has wiped the floor with Chevy

not really. it depends on the track. even if Honda does have more HP, it dorsnt matter if the engine blows. remember Long Beach when all Andretti cars DNFed?

maybe next year with spec aero we can get a better idea of engine performance.

also I totally throw out the window this "sandbagging" speculation that seems to get thrown about often. what reason would either manufacturer have to "sandbag"?

Will next week involve IndyCar promoting VisorCam while having it on still just one driver?

yeah probably.

they just need to stick a cam on every driver's helmet and be done with it. hopefully next year. I like the helmet cam a lot better than the cam mounted on the car above their heads. it really gives you a better sense of the speed

>mfw those 60 fps shots

it is horrifying and I love it

I don't think Honda was concerned about individual teams as much just winning races.
They've won the lion's share of races this year which is what I meant when I said they were wiping the floor.
I agree though, the weaknesses and strengths of each manufacterer is a known quantity.

also its easier to see their steering wheel, and when they hit the paddles to shift. and you get to see how much their head is bobbing around in the wind.

ALSO you get to see them check their mirrors

visor cam is so superior to mounted car cam, I don't get why it's taken us until 2017 for this to be a thing. the technology was there years ago

It's pretty intense.
This tech has been aroun for so long, I wonder why it took so long to convince them to broadcast it.
Also
For those who watch NASCAR, what's with the crazy looking fighter jet helmets?
Are they for keeping the driver cool or fresh oxygen or something?

coolant

I think the visor cam will also help the stewards.

with it, you have no questions about what the driver saw, or didn't see, because you are basically looking through his eyes.

Gotcha.
I thought the heat in the tin tops was just apart of NASCAR. What do the drivers even have to contend with physically now?

Obviously they have to strain mentally to make sure they're paying attention, but the G-Forces are paltry compared to Formula cars so there's not much physical requirements.

In fact, you see more than the driver, those helmets kill peripheral vision.
That's a good use.

until the human race goes full cyborg, and our eyes become cameras, I think this is the closest we will get

I would be interested to watch a car constructor's championship with computers that automate driving.
Would be highly entertaining when an accident would happen. I imagine if the ai driver malfunctioned it would be hilariously catastrophic.

we need to get a 1-eyed driver and put a camera in there.

I bet before I'm dead, F1 will combine with Formula E and it will be all computer controlled electric cars

Punished Karam is coming back with a vengeance.

It took me a long fucking time to figure out that was a psychedelic crash scene.
That was Stan Fox's accident yeah?

The idea of it actually did make me laugh due to being made light despite being gruesome. He was lucky to live.

*that was Danny Ongias accident, he was lucky to live.
I'm glad we don't see those kinds of accidents anymore, the bad leg injuries in the 80's and 90's are gone, prayerfully for good.

#posse

DAILY REMINDER:

ROSSI POSSE IS JUST A MEME
WILL POWER IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE /ourguy/

I don't have Power's livery to post.
Besides Will is just /yourguy/

>look Mom I posted it again

haters gonna hate, RossiPosse will survive

>RossiPosse will survive
until the end of this season when his asshole gets dumped for someone with actual talent, Yes