If Rey was a white male, how many people would have complained that the incompetent, bumbling, sidekick, Finn...

If Rey was a white male, how many people would have complained that the incompetent, bumbling, sidekick, Finn, was a racial stereotype?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5rEKsCLEEsg&t=695s
youtube.com/watch?v=H1Wtq2CcAY4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If Rey was real, she'd marry me.

she'd marry ME!

Check your privilege white boi.

Finn only seems incompetent because Rey is perfect at everything.

There are probably more incompetent bumbling white male sidekicks than black ones all things considered.

Stop being a RACIST XENOPHOBIC MAN LIVING OFF THE GRID IN FRANCE YOU TAX DODGING MURDERER

Did he do anything besides fight traitor trooper? I don't even remember.

who is that fag anyway?

He "fought" Kylo

Not to mention that apart from some daft scenes his whole thing is about "yeah nope I'm done with this, the Empire is getting ready to fuck shit up and I don't want to be here when it happens." and over the course of the story he almost gets the chance to do that til he hears Rey has been abducted and the dilemma becomes save my own ass or try to repay the second person outside of my stormtrooper outfit to treat me like a person.

Finn is not an elite trooper, he's not a Jedi but he's willing to fucking try to be a better person.

based varg, the pinnacle of western civilization

Varkov Vikerovich: Russian composer

he "saved" Rey

>dat BBC tho...

Right now Finn being a bumbling fool can be attributed to him being male but if you swap the competent female lead with a white male, Finn would contrast primarilly with his race. Make Poe Damaran black and finn that fat hispanic kid from Modern Family and audiences will be cool with it because fat people are funny

Finn should have been main character. Boyega managed to shine despite the crappy material he had to work with. Far better actor than Ridley,

He is way too incompetent to have been trained for this all his life and his character is borderline racist (stereotypical black traits, basically a runaway slave, accused of being a thief, actually black).

Disney wasted a character with loads of potential. An opportunity to see a complex, unique perspective from the enemy side.

What is Hollywood's obsession with black representation? Black's have been getting lead roles for decades. Will Smith, Samuel Jackson, Morgan Freeman are household names.
What about Indian people? Philippinos?
You'll never see them in lead roles because they're unmarketable because there's no huge, moral "right-side-of-history" circlejerk about them.

We'll see a transgender lead before we ever see a philippino

Ray(of hope) should have had roles switched with Ben Ren. The entire movie would have made much more sense.

Search your feelings.

Don't forget he was a space janitor for some reason.

>An opportunity to see a complex, unique perspective from the enemy side
So much this. Basically it amounted to "our side is entirely pure fucking evil and I have the slightest bit of a conscious to see that".

B-but making the female the villain would be sexist and misogynist and all those other feminist buzzwords.

**PRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT**

Mickey Mouse is beyond reproach. If Rey wasn't a girl nine of this nonsense would've happened. They either make Finn THE main character or Kylo. Rey is so out of place and shitty, without girl power she wouldn't exist at all. As in you'd get 1 less character. Or you'd get Finn and a buddy of his to defect with him. Or maybe more Poe. All of these is better than what we got.

Indians and Pinoys work hard and earn a ton of money in America despite all the adversity thrown at them.

Why would Hollywood promote hard work instead of gibsmedats?

Why is Boyega such a fat fuck?

Or latinos of all races. We significantly outnumber non-latino blacks, but for some reason we're very under-represented when it comes to tv and movies (while blacks and jews are significantly over-represented).

Too much fish and chips

They did and they're kinda right.

But it would be a hell of a lot worse stereotype if he was a uber competent serious no nonsense negro. Him wanting to appear like a honorable brave dude was fine

Finn was still the best part

>and a buddy of his to defect with him
TR8-R? That'd be pretty cool. To see someone slowly become light to contrast with Finn's switching sides the first chance he got.

Varg as a jedi master when.
>scene where he stabs a sith over fifty times with a crude shank
>"it was self defense"

He existed to be a comic relief, red herring, and to provide a contrast for Rey's badassery. Look over here at Finn failing and looking like an idiot. Now take a look over there to see Rey impressing everyone with how awesome she is. Really, Abrams?

The Original Trilogy had a more balanced approach. Luke, Han, and Leia all had strengths and weaknesses. And they all built off each other and needed one another to succeed. Rey outshone everyone in everything throughout The Force Awakens. It got all old fast. Killing tension along the way.

I feel ya.

youtube.com/watch?v=5rEKsCLEEsg&t=695s

11:35

>white supremacist organization
>with a black guy working at the same level as other, likely white, foot soldiers

>using an apostrophe with plurals

Perfect way for me to disregard redditor shitters.

Will they attempt to salvage Rey's character in VIII, or will they double down on the Mary Sue nonsense?

Black's is an abbreviation of blackies

Changing would admit fault. Is Disney bold enough to do such a thing?

Varg Vikernes, one of the big black metal musicians from Norway in the 90s, murdered a guy, now he's a white supremacist

Has a wife and kids and likes D&D

>An opportunity to see a complex, unique perspective from the enemy side.

This is literally probably the main reason why I wanted to see this movie in the first place. For so long the Empire has just been seen as Saturday morning supervillains with a cackling dark space wizard as their leader and a black knight with a booming voice who kills his own lieutenants for fucking up as his adjutant.

What we needed was to see them from a different perspective. The very first scene was probably the best scene because it showed the nu-Empire in a totally different light: actual human beings raised to be vicious killing machines but still retaining their humanity, making it all the more sad. I actually felt some emotion when Finn held his dying friend in his arms, and even through the mask you could sense his panic at the absolute hopelessness of his situation; he could either betray the people he grew up with by fleeing like a coward, or continue oppressing innocent people. He chooses to run, probably a very difficult decision given the consequences.

But then the movie devolves into the typical good-guy bad-guy fight, and Finn's former allegiances are never even mentioned again. He's running from the First Order, yes, but what about the remorse he must feel for having to kill the Stormtroopers, knowing there's a human face behind each mask, knowing that any one of them might be a childhood friend? Wouldn't he violently reject the Resistance's plan to blow up the planet he probably grew up on and learned to love in a small way, lash out at the thought of destroying countless lives, no matter how different their goals might be to the aims of the Republic?

And yet none of that is explored. He goes along with the plan, he shows no remorse, he feels no regret, and what could have been a revolutionary character in the Star Wars franchise turned out to be a watered-down side character with no realistic motivation and no humanity.

Fuck Disney.

You mean you expected something good, that wasn't just a soft reboot? Wtf is wrong with you?

That's not what the main saga is about

It's repackaged good vs evil mythology

For stuff like that read some of Luceno's books or Lost Stars

>But then the movie devolves into the typical good-guy bad-guy fight, and Finn's former allegiances are never even mentioned again. He's running from the First Order, yes, but what about the remorse he must feel for having to kill the Stormtroopers, knowing there's a human face behind each mask, knowing that any one of them might be a childhood friend?

He doesn't feel it at all. It's bizarre and frustrating. He's whooping and cheering as he murders people that he's presumably known his entire life.

I thought Rey and Finn could have had a more interesting and different (for the franchise) dynamic.

One is the feral kid. A decent fighter (though no trained professional) and someone with a thorough knowledge of parts after having grown up in the remnants of an empire. Force sensitive but doesn't know it. Needs training to bring out the potential in her. Knows nothing more than the tales and rumors spread around her poverty-stricken community. It would make sense for her not to be aware of the force, dark side, rebels.

The other is the conflicted soldier. He begins his journey completely loyal to the cause and is then thrown off course by having to face the harsh reality of what he's actually doing. His knowledge extents no further than what was drilled into him by The First Order. Remove Huxx and Phasma and let Finn be Kylo Ren's right hand man. The guy sent to personally bring back the droid/Rey. That way the "traitor" meme has more actual merit.

And Han Solo could be the bridge between the two new protagonists.

Friendly reminder Finn was originally a white character and played by Meth Damon

JarJar Abrams shoehorned this nigger in for the sake for diversity, and in return lost untold millions in possible revenue from places like China

>Friendly reminder Finn was originally a white character and played by Meth Damon

Except that in that same script Poe was going to be black as well but you never bring that up do you, fagboi?

I don't give a fuck abot star wars. That sounds amazing.

That's actually interesting, different and complex. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO INTRODUCE A NEW GENERATION TO STAR WARS IF WE DON'T JUST REPACKED THE ORIGINAL MOVIE!!!??

Hollywood is laughing all the way to the racial bank $$$$$$$$

Rey will be the most powerful Jedi of all time, school Duke Skywalker, and solo the knights of Ren.

Don't forget the obligatory scene where she embarasses Poe for his noob piloting skills and out skills him in dogfighting, all while being the lead admiral of the new new republic resisti-rebels.

Rebooting is fine as long as you don't make it obvious. Keep the same story and change up the visuals. For instance, Disney could have kept Jakku as a water world. It would have been a start. Instead we have a blatantly repackaged narrative with endless amounts of fanservice added on top.

>a complex, unique perspective
...in a disney movie for kids

So the black dude is a cuck?

So, the black guy got cucked?

>they emailed disney
>he immediately backtracked on 14th of november like a good bitch

Disney is a leash tuggin machine

Main character vs background flyboy fag love interest

>tfw I thought I would hate Finn the most but actually out of all the new characters I liked him the best

Does anyone actually like Rey?

lets just look at it for what it is

hes the jar jar binks of the new trilogy, hes just not as clear of a buffoon as jarjar and hes black so if you call him a bumbling idiot ur considered racist

They have to push her. She is supposed to be empowering for females. Especially young girls. But sadly she is a bland, one dimensional, overpowered character. It's made worse due to the fact the actress kind of sucks. Someone at Disney failed to realize physical strength does not equate to interesting or well written. Shame. I was excited to see a female protagonist.

>Disney failed to realize physical strength does not equate to interesting or well written.

This seems to be the main problem when they write the "strong female character."

The problem is they sit down to write up all their character motivations, and for men it's a long list of things, but for women they just write "is a woman" and call it a day. It isn't even some womyn power bullshit, these fucking female characters are so dull and uninteresting. Like who really gives a shit about Black Widow? Even a single shit?

we disliked the prequels

thats the thing with episode 7. it was so obviously a copy paste of episode 4's plot. and i think disney is to blame. disney thought it could play it safe by trying to avoid the backlash the prequels generated and give the audience the tried and true formula of the original trilogy and hire a big name like abrams. i didnt even get any sense of that distinct abrams style, the whole movie felt very disney, not abrams. the entire movie felt like i was watching a rehash of episode 4 except it was casualized for mass consumerism. i was staring at my watch the whole movie because i was so bored. at least the prequels (even with its bad cheesy acting) kept my attention because i didn't know where the plot would go next.

I don't think there's a general blanket answer for it. With The Force Awakens I think it was a conscious effort by the writers to make Rey a Mary Sue in order to not offend sjws.

Where with Black Widow I think it's more of this intellectual fallacy that a "strong female character" needs to be this James Bondesque ultra competent at everything one dimensional badass.

I dunno, maybe Whedon became afraid of the sjws too. Then again the only time Buffy had depth to her character was when she was suicidal.

How about this:

Take your "racist" bullshit and shove it up your own ignorant ass.

How the hell did morons like you ever get the idea that "racism" is the ultimate crime against humanity, yet at the same time assume that your own brand of "racism" (i.e. hatred of whites and hope for their demise) somehow places you on a higher moral plane?

Oh. That's right... it's because you're morons.

Check your black privilege, nigger.

> The individual in question is a moron/ignorant
> The individual in question thinks racism is the ultimate crime against humanity
> The individual in question is racist
> The individual in question is black
> The individual in question thinks they are on a higher moral plane
> Blacks are all together on one accord concerning their feelings toward white people

Quite a few assumptions you made there, user.

Methinks you're the one who's assuming, dumbass.

It must have been hard for you.
>do I favor the black guy or the white woman
>How the hell did morons like you ever get the idea that "racism" is the ultimate crime against humanity, yet at the same time assume that your own brand of "racism" (i.e. hatred of whites and hope for their demise) somehow places you on a higher moral plane?

Methink you're the one projecting.

>incompetent, bumbling, sidekick

So like every stormtrooper in the Star Wars universe?

>they turned down Jesse Plemmons and Saoirse Ronan for Boyega and Ridley

What the fuck were they thinking? Both Plemmons and Ronan are very talented actors who have given many strong performances over the years.

The problem is that she basically IS a white man but is also a token Mary Sue at the same time.

>If Rey was a white male, how many people would have complained that the incompetent, bumbling, sidekick, Finn, was a racial stereotype?

a few would, but more would support Finn as a black gay male in love with male Rey.

i finally saw this last night.

i really thought everyone was awful, the guy that played finn being a mild exception. didn't seem like his character was well rounded enough for him to truly sell it. harrison ford looked like he didn't want to be there even more than i expected. the girl that played rey was awful. brennan glesson's kid was awful. the only guy i thought did well, painful though it is to admit, was adam driver

I don't know but boy, that's the most nigger lookin' nigger I've ever seen on the big screen. Look at that wide nose and dem giant lips

>the only guy i thought did well, painful though it is to admit, was adam driver
Kylo Ren being one of the best parts of the film is a pretty common opinion. He was the only one that showed actual emotion.

youtube.com/watch?v=H1Wtq2CcAY4

Blacks aren't immigrants. You can't compare relative small comunities with 14% of the country who are historic Americans

mostly because he was the only original character in the movie that wasn't puppeting better actors from 40 years ago

Is this the worst casting in a major motion picture ever? Everyone looks hideous.

It really is shockingly bad for such an expensive film. Even good actors like Driver and Isaac seem out of place.

LOL

Also nice quads