ITT we rank team sports from most strategic to least

ITT we rank team sports from most strategic to least

Association Football
10/10 - Strategy is essential to victory
>The sport is very low scoring, and the team and manager have very little control of short term tactics, except for very occasionnal set play opportunities. The play is highly dictated by longer term, flow-based concepts and strategy.

American Football
8/10 - Strategy is required, but tactics are essential too
>Long term strategy, in the form of chained-together tactical considerations. Games develop in discrete set plays, yet a single series of plays or scoring run seldom determines the game. Consistent strategy long-term along with continuous tactical success is critical.

Basketball
3/10 - Good strategy can win a game, but individual physical performances can upset a good opposing strategy
>Similar to Association Football, but with lessened emphasis on strategy. Set plays, tactics, and individual performance outweighs the decision whether or not to run big-men or zone defense.

Baseball
0/10 - no strategy is actually required
>Vague wisps of strategy that are vastly outweighed by individual effort and simple statistical variations in gameplay. Low scoring, plus a relatively small amount of time that actual "ball in play" action occurs when compared to the other three sports, means that discrete tactics rule the day. Baseball coach doesn't have any actual impact on his team performance.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=huvYYRorB_Q
twitter.com/superjymy/status/872161409974587392
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey frog, change your post to be it's reverse order, and it would be correct.

>tf
>tp

>Amerifats mad as fuck that I'm right
Prove me wrong then

I just realized, when did you add the red and blue to your flag?

NHL
-2/10
Just a pile of random wank

We copied yours after we liberated you from the Brits

Then why do I always see a white one being flown, when learning about different wars?

>10/10 - Strategy is essential to victory
it's literally just rolling a ball in the grass. even completely uneducated dirt poor children can pick it up very quickly, isn't that usually the appeal of how "universal" the sport is that you guys always go on about?

>american banter

>. Low scoring, plus a relatively small amount of time that actual "ball in play" action occurs when compared to the other three sports, means that discrete tactics rule the day.
the ball is literally always in play in a baseball game

That's what you believe. If it was this easy and this based on luck, all teams would win equally any league or cup. But no, strategy is paramount in winning in football.

I thought Arab money and pay to win is paramount in winning in football

yeah that's why PSG won again this year. Oh wait it was Monaco and its wonderkids trained in its formation center

It's Chinese money now. Arab money only guarantees disappointment and the possibility of bankruptcy

>in Soccernomics Kuper asserted that the impact of managers is very limited
>90% of all managers could be replaced by their secretary or a fluffin' teddy bear and nobody would notice the difference
There are plenty of studies on the impact of managers in european leagues. The conclusion is the same: very few managers have an impact and it's the quality of players they get to work with. In the international game managers have even less impact.

>Simon Kuper (b. October 15, 1969, Kampala, Uganda) is a British author and sports journalist.
Oh yeah, trust the anglos. This book is obviously shit and plainly wrong. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about

Pesäpallo
10/10

>baseball
>not 10/10
Is French a black country?

1. Test cricket

10. Rugby union

20. Baseball

nothing else matters

that's strategy-wise, not race-wise. Baseball requires little if no strategy at all.

dumb frog

the fact that you think fucking soccer has strategy says it all

>Football
>Baseball
>Basketball
>Soccer

This is the correct order 100%

go back to your mixed netball, faggot
tripfag thinking his opinion is relevant

netball has more tactical depth than soccer

cricket>soccer>American Football>Basketball

even before looking at it
>fixed positions
>woman-to-woman marking
>only 2 players can score
>no set plays
>everyone stops when a player has the ball
oh yeah great tactical depth you have here

1. T20 Cricket
Power gap
99. ODI Cricket
Power gap
999. Test Cricket
Power gap
99999. Everything else

1) Soccer - Draws from the largest pool of players of any sport (i.e. can be played by manlets and normal people alike) and has an ideal balance between skill and athleticism.
2) Basketball - High tempo game that rewards creativity and team play, but gamed at the elite level by tall orangutan armed men who make the game more boring and less accessible to 99% of the population.
3) There are no other relevant team sports

what has this got to do with strategy you fucking fat amerishart

do you have something constructive to write for once Australia? or will you shitpost forever?

So you're just going to discount any argument that doesn't prove you right with no evidence other than "Anglos don't know what they're talking about"?
Regardless, I don't think baseball is a ton of strategy, but the managers do a decent amount of work rotating the pitching staff to give them the best chance to win without working their stars to death. I also think American football should be at the top. It's almost more a chess match between coaches than it is a game between players.
When it comes to soccer, I think you're mistaking teamwork for strategy. Soccer teams have basically one formation they play in, and after that it's up to the player's natural instincts according to the sport. It's not like American football where each time the ball is in play, the formation could be different. Besides, the most a soccer manager can do is yell at a few players close to him while the game is going on. Not really great for strategic adjustments on the fly

>Australia
>something constructive to write for once
>shitpost forever

Hummmmmm

maybe I will when everyone else stops spouting utter tripe

Great post, but stragegy ≠ tactics
An American football game is a succession of set plays, where the coach can use a different tactics every time
In an Association football game, players adopt a strategy, which can be modified and adapted, but not deeply changed. i.e. possession based strategy + high press, or counter-attack + defend low

Football doesn't have any strategic depth, it literally just consists of giving the ball to the player in space repeating indefinitely and always having a player cover the space in front of the defence.

>the sport with 11 players depends less on the individual than the sport with 5 players

THANKS FOR YOUR SCIENCE BASED OP

Basketball involves tons of strategy and adjustments. The thing with basketball is that coaches implement a system that run automatically during the game, the game is too fast for a coach to call a play every position. The warriors offense is one of the most complex things in sports.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=huvYYRorB_Q

>divegrass
>strategy

choose one and only one.

Sockerball has almost no strategy, it's all just reacting to the tone of the game. Same with hockey

Basketball has a medium amount of strategy, you have to adjust your team constantly and manage minutes for star players, etc.

Baseball has a lot of strategy but you're still reacting to an almost unpredictable event occurring every play, still you have to play percentages with where you place fielders, which pinch hitters to use and when, etc.

American football is basically like chess. Every single play is dictated by the coaches who have to take so many things into consideration. Each player adjusts on the fly and before the play

I'm confused on the semantics here: strategy vs. tactics. Soccer players have relatively very little time to strategize what their plan of attack is going to be. Sure they hash it out at half and such, but once they're out there they're pretty much relying on instinct between themselves - passing in the open lanes, and pretty much relying on quick reflexes and striking ability. In American football, the coach is authoring every single play. The players are coming together to understand the play, and pretty much every move they make is determined before the snap, so it's entirely strategic.

The same is almost true for baseball. The catcher is calling out every pitch beforehand, determining the pitch according to the playing style of who's at bat, and what the game situation is. Additionally, the formations are set according to what's happening too.

There's a ton of mid-game strategizing and play calling for basketball too, but chance is much more of a factor I.e. the ball falling or not.

1. American football
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Soccer

>this post about the #1 sport in the World
>this 1,326,801,576 inhabitants flag
no wonder your team is ranked #100, between Kazakhstan and Mauritius

see

yeah it's because 1,326,801,576 inhabitants only play one sport and it isn't soccer

football is the poor people sport, that you play with no shoes and a ragsball. they have no excuses to not produce at least 20 decent players

How does more tactics = less strategy? Football coaches are spending an entire week determining the strategy for a single game - will we prioritize running/passing, what will they prioritize, etc.

here's an excuse, their 1,326,801,576 inhabitants only play one sport and it isn't soccer

Soccer is India's most popular sport. Plenty of people play it. It will overtake pakipaddle in the next 20 years.

lmoa

second most popular sport*

>Baseball has a lot of strategy but you're still reacting to an almost unpredictable event occurring every play, still you have to play percentages with where you place fielders, which pinch hitters to use and when, etc.

Pesäpallo multiplies this all. American sports journalist wrote about pesäpallo fielding "The degree of movement from play to play evokes NFL defensive schemes more than Major League Baseball defensive shifts." And about offensive play "In Finland, hitters put nearly every pitch in play, sending fielders scampering in every direction."

In baseball, baserunner is safe or out. In pesäpallo there is a third option. And batter can hit max three times.

that's hockey actually

Big surprise, a Yuro thinks his shitty sport is superior to ours.

>A Nielsen survey in 2010 found that 47% of India's 1.2 billion population would describe themselves as football fans.

yeah but far few actually play the sport, they just watch the EPL

How do you know?

I know a lot of Indians, among other things

So do I. They all tell me all the kids play it there. Nice arguing.

yeah but you don't have "among other things" to fall back on

Your post shows you understand little about football. You think it's just passing until a space open? That they rely only on their reflexes and skill to score? Basically: luck based? That's why the outcome of games are impossible to predict, because football, as you imply, is based on luck.
Joke asides, it looks like you don't understand the difference between strategy (=the grand plan), and tactics (= the plan for now)
For example, when Guardiola says "my team gonna to keep the ball, so opponents can't score", it's a possession-based strategy
When Klopp says "my team gonna always press the opponents so they make an error we can exploit", it's a high tempo-based strategy
In these 2 cases, managers want players that fit in their strategies, that's why Guardiola fired Hart, because he couldn't play well with his feet. That's why Liverpool wasn't very good at the start of the season, because Liverpool players weren't fit to run 20 km per game.
Even hoofball is a strategy, you say "my team gonna play a lot of aerial balls in the center", so you need tall athletic players

And American football is all set plays, where things are reset to a "zero" state, so when you can devise a tactic. I don't say it isn't strategic. But the approach is more tactic than strategic, when association football is more strategic than tactic.

he asked personnally every 1,326,801,576 Indians.

>a play by play sport based on territorial control/invasion, with multiple packages, infinite tactics, unlimited time of possession, time outs and variable scoring methods/values somehow requires less strategy than association football
Not saying it requires more, but you're definetly underestimating handegg.

>Baseball
>0/10
Just stop, don't post about a sport if you don't know anything about it.

so please enlight us, Paquito. For example, could you describe some of the mighty grand strategies of baseball?
>inb4 you can't, because before devising strategies, first you have to hit the baseball, which is literally one of the hardest thing to do in the damned universe

>Pitching rotations
>Game of probabilities
>Impact of batting order
>Small ball
>Pinch hitter
>Substitutions
>Double switch
And that's not considering the meta game or even tournament strategies
>because before devising strategies, first you have to hit the baseball
what kind of meme argument is this? just because association football can end in a draw doesn't mean any other sport requires 0 strategy

I only see one who could pass as a general strategy, all other are tactics
Also, the "first you have to hit the baseball" argument isn't mine. It's Jimmie Dykes "you can't steal first base". Meaning all your *strategies* are inept and useless until you hit the baseball.
Baseball would be a sport where you can make grand strategies, but also think you have 5% (prob of basehit) of even having the mere chance of being able to apply them.
So, not a strategic sport, sorry.

>I only see one who could pass as a general strategy, all other are tactics

Jimmie Dykes is somehow more illiterate about baseball than you.
>team can't hit the ball
>change the strategy (accept more strikes, swing less, swing more, seek for contact, try to bunt, etc)
>suddenly have a person on base
not to mention a good rotation management can keep even the best batting team cold

>I don't rate Jimmy Dykes

Baseball has no strategy, which is why its a dying sport

See: Profession Baseball games attendance

>rotating pitchers is a legitimate part of baseball strategy
>pitchermongs cant vary how they throw a ball

wew, didnt realize baseball was a """sport""" for retards

>Also, the "first you have to hit the baseball" argument isn't mine. It's Jimmie Dykes "you can't steal first base".

In pesäpallo you can steal first base. Strategy of this club has been "running speed over batting power, defence over offensive"

twitter.com/superjymy/status/872161409974587392

>based pesäpallo confirmed to be superior to boreball

Tennis - 5/10

the reality is that the more talented/higher ranked player wins most of the time, but tactics/strategy have an impact on certain courts like grass and just generally at the very elite level of the game

>pitchermongs cant vary how they throw a ball
according to who?
Doesn't it have more revenue than most leagues out there?
Also, it's a boring sport. Average joe doesn't want to sit 4 hours of almost 0 highlights.

what would be the point in rotating pitchers then?
couldnt they just throw the ball differently

how do we rate dodgeball?

Like muggle quidditch, sport is too young to be rated.
Some efficient strategies may have empirically emerged, but the sport probably haven't been theorized yet.

They all have different throws, but they all vary in effectiveness depending on the throw. Some pitchers clean the house via infield plays (meaning batters often find the ball) others are strikeout machines (usually throw more). Left/Right hand matchups or saving the pitchers for future games (limiting his pitch count).

Not saying it requires a shitload of strategy, but definetly more than 0/10. Probably more than some individual sports.

Nice job making us all look like retards.

The fuck you are talking about. How many times have you seen this season real madrid get fucked strategically and even overplayed just to win by lel Ramos header or TSUUUUUU. In football individual performance have a great weight. Often the team that makes the less mistakes (individual mistakes) is the team that wins.

Great insight of writing that before taking 3-0 from Germany C team.
Stay pleb Mexico, you don't understand football, and never will.

what did he mean by this?

Sorry bro, didnt meant to trigger you

I meant you take 3-0 from Germany C team.