So basically what it takes to make a considered innovative classic is to hire a bunch of professional amazing musicians...

So basically what it takes to make a considered innovative classic is to hire a bunch of professional amazing musicians to figure out how to play stuff u wrote that makes no sense literally because you have no idea what you are doing and cant even play an instrument. Because thats what i got out of the history of it.

Still pretty good desu

So am i interpreting this correctly lmao

you also have to abuse the musicians

>a bunch of professional amazing musicians
they weren't professionals and he didn't really "hire" them per say. They were his friends. He ended up tormenting them, so them being his friends after trout mask is debatable.
>makes no sense
yeah what he played on the piano made no sense, but the other musicians made sense out of it. It's like he was the "ideas" guy. He came up to them and said "wouldn't it be cool if we did a song where we did this or that," then the everyone who wasn't beefheart had to get together to make it work as a song. These songs aren't nonsense and beefheart had the ability to write more traditional style songs if he wanted to (albeit still with a lot of help), see: Safe as Milk, Strictly Personal, and Mirror Man, but he went against that and invented a completely different style of blues rock.

yeah basically

doesnt make it any less influential and unique

you're saying this like it's a bad thing

>>>>>in 1969

You forget to contextualize the album. 5 years prior the Beatles were doing Help and A Hard Day’s Night; meanwhile this motherfucker is mixing free jazz, avant garde classical, blues, and rock into a horrific amalgamation of sound led by unforgettable lyricism

Don't forget the part where you extend this samey as fuck music for 70 minutes, then only add shitty interludes in between to make things "interesting" (hey! one of them will become a short lived not that funny randumb joke in the 21st century, so keep it fast and bulbous!) Also don't forget to let your close friend engineer the album so your obnoxious vocals will overpower the actually interesting instrumental play that makes the album worth listening to!

Who hurt you user? It’s okay to be not ready for TMR.

The Beatles wrote A Day In Life in 1967 which mixed psychedelic rock with aspects of world music and actual avant garde classical (aleatoric music particularly) into a beautiful timeless work often cited as one of the greatest pieces written within the song format with actually relevant lyrics.

Also
>free jazz
>avant garde classical
>in TMR
Lmao. It's blues with heavily syncopated polyrhythms and occasional polytonality. The earlier happens because of Drumbo's arranging of the parts while the later happens because Beefheart doesn't know how to play shit. Don't confuse this with what free jazz and the classical of that time was doing.

It just feels like there is a fine line here. Like if beefheart really is innovative or are the musicians just amazing for making nonsense into songs albeit chaotic ones. Like i realize he was the mind behind other music too but whats to say they couldnt have done the same with anyones bullshit? Lol

I own the damn thing on vinyl. But once the originality wears off, it gets boring after a while. It would be a decent 8 or 9 out of 10 if only the good tracks were there and the mixing was fixed.

you could make an album with that process but if you cant write amazing beefheart quality lyrics then you just made a pile of overcomplicated annoying garbage

>deletes Sweet Sweet Bulbs
>deletes Pena
>deletes Fallin' Ditch
>deletes Ant Man Bee
>deletes Wild Life
>deletes She's Too Much For My Mirror
>deletes Steal Softly Thru Snow
>deletes Old Fart at Play
>deletes Veteran's Day Poppy

I just made this album perfect.

You can honestly get the same effect as most of the tracks if you take two different blues songs' licks and put it in one song where each lick takes up one direction stereo-wise. Then you put in newer drums or have the drums switch back and forth between what was played for the two different songs and boom you got what the average song on TMR is.

People that dickride this album often either don't know shit about music or they tend to overrate sheer originality over how well a musician does something which leads into ADHD gimmick levels of listening to music rather than paying attention to what it really offers.

>b-but Samuel Andreyev! his vidya!
All he has done is objectively said what's on the album and that's it. You can listen to his actual compositions to see why he would be interested in a farce like TMR.

pleb spotted

This was meant for you I replied to wrong user

I feel like people overrate technicality in the same way. Something being stupidly hard to play or completely original (usually for good reason) doesnt make it better music. Which is why i can respect something like tmr for what it is but people acting like its the greatest album of all time and people who dont get it are plebs are retarted. I personally would MUCH rather listen to the beatles than TMR

>comparing the Beatles to pretty much any of their contemporaries
>aleatoric music
>implying George Martin isn't the only Beatle that matters

Veterans Day Poppy is one of the best songs on the album. Same with Pena

>Pena is one of the most purposefully annoying songs on the album
ftfy

It's almost like people think different stuff sounds good. How enlightening, thanks user

>A Day In the Life
>psych, aleaoric, or world music

>”got up got out of bed, dragged the comb across my head”
>relevant lyrics

>bad mixing
>TMR getting boring
User error

>dont know shit bout da music durre

dude the time signatures on this album are FUCKED idiot. notes bounce in and out of EVERY scale imaginable. durre u kno so much bou da musik deary

anyways i love this album because it makes me want to punch beefheart in the face. everyone wants to punch beefheart in the face, even the people recording this shit with him.

also, if you knew how to keep up with progressions youd realise how fucking often some of these 30 second cuts/riffs where copied and pasted into VERY influencial albums. same with most every release from beefheart.

>doesn't know ADIL is psych and one of the songs on one of the albums that jumpstarted Summer Of Love
>has no clue what aleatoric music is
>doesn't know what the lyrics are covering

>might have unironically drank the "Beatles aren't that influential" kool aid
Embarrassing. Go study for your finals, kids.

>thinks listening to the same concept of heavily syncopated polyrhythms is interesting
Shit, I bet you must think garbage like Meshuggah's good, too, right?

I wasn't even making a case for basic level music theory lmao. Beefshit fans are so retarded I even mentioned Samuel for this very reason.

>also, if you knew how to keep up with progressions youd realise how fucking often some of these 30 second cuts/riffs where copied and pasted into VERY influencial albums
Do cite some.

>But once the originality wears off
I'm writing this with my mouth open. What "surpassed" it?

Sorry your life turned out a failure bud. The noose always hangs

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Captain Beefheart. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of dadaism most of the jokes will go over a typical listener’s head. There’s also Beefheart's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his music- his musical philosophy draws heavily from Zappa, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these songs, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Captain Beefheart truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Beefheart's existential catchphrase “Fast and bulbous ” which itself is a cryptic reference to how squids eat dough out of a polyethylene bag. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Van Vliet's genius wit unfolds itself on their headphones. What fools.. how I pity them.

Yikes

you're retarded

Literally had to look up ftfy and this is what I found.
You should be ashamed of yourself, horrible person. Back to your cumslut site

Farce like Trout Mask Replica? Oh, boy, would I like to hear what you consider "proper" music.

>TMR doesn't make sense musically
Almost the entire album fits together perfectly, you silly.

It flows so well, there's very few albums that sound so disjointed that actually make sense as an album

>Veteran's Day Poppy
>bad
It's top five on the album, easily

where does the nonesense of him being unable to play any instrument come from? have you ever watched any footage of them live...?