So did I understand the movie correctly

So did I understand the movie correctly.
Nothing supernatural happened. Thomasin was basically brainwashed to believe that she was a witch and possibly suffered from some kind of mental illness by the end of the movie

I loved it 10/10

I'm pretty sure all of it was real

no

Wrong. Everything that was supernatural was very much happening. The director himself has stated that it is not "psychological". This movie is about Satanism, not "muh psychological abuse"

Brah its just like a sick dj mix of old american witch folk tales, theres nothin to 'get'

What the fuck even happened to the two children

Who cares? I was glad they were gone.

>american

nah m8

Set me straight near the end . when the witch was in the barn. All the kids were locked up inside. Was she sucking off that goat? Scene was dark and i couldnt tell.

Thomasin scared them away

Their singing was scarier than the witch.

It was Thomasin and yes she sucked milk from the goat

facepalmd

No.

Broom paste.

You're right OP, these faggots are seeing what they want to see.

U fuckin faggot ill kill you instantly on accident probably, ill cut u into pieces and power blast those pieces into considerably smaller pieces. When im done w u ppl will write about it in books n papers bcuz of how real it was

had a few drinks there? in the morning you will have a fierce stuttering arse

Hey guys, I'm a pleb.

The ending overwhelmed me when I first saw it. It frustrated me.
Was it "supposed" to?

Seriously fucking stop responding to me

I felt guilty for wanting to bang her cause I thought she was too young then I checked her IMDB.
>mfw she's like 20 in that movie

Don't know why it would frustrate you. She joined a coven of witches, escaped and defeated persecution and the burdens of a woman's expectations of that era. Nothin deep.

I really wanted to see her titties and they didn't show it. That's what frustrated me.

Not even sure what your problem is. Witch tales originated in Britain, get over it faggot, the first American settlers were religious as fck British people who were basically kicked out when Britain started to turn Atheist.

you sound p gay

You didn't understand it at all. The ending is VERY unambiguous and I'm kind of baffled by the fact that you didn't seem to recognize that. How old are you?

>U fuckin faggot ill kill you instantly on accident probably, ill cut u into pieces and power blast those pieces into considerably smaller pieces. When im done w u ppl will write about it in books n papers bcuz of how real it was

No the witch was doing something. I couldnt tell.

It was some of the most exciting, exhilarating minutes in recent cinema. Huge, sublime payoff.

She's apparently up for pic related in Deadpool/New Mutants/X-FOrce whatever they call it, good casting

>I want to look at titties
>ur gay

Did you have a stroke?

ur gay in the sense that you're kind of a fag
you should know what I mean by this

By losing her family and making a pact with the devil ? Should we be happy for her ? How does that makes fucking sense ?

I was also kidding about the titties m8
gay away

Because her embracing the devil freed her from milk maid duties, shitty kids, aggro dads and cold mothers. In exchange, she received freedom to dance naked in the wild, be unhindered by social structures, and of course all manners of creepy witchery; struggle for power.

love you friend, don't worry.

back to Sup Forums pls stormfag

I wanted to see her tits and I'm not kidding.

It was the fact you thought the witch was actually sucking the goat off, and not sucking it's milk.

I wouldn't make this connection publicly, but that user is probably right. No one who can't understand why being offered a way out of a strict, bleak life through the embrace of the ultimate rebel and hedonist could NOT come from Sup Forums

Typical user, literally cannot stop thinking about sucking cock

lol nah

how does that explain the mother going insane? or the twins speaking in tounges? or the brother getting wrecked by the witch?

These people were on the frontier, and this movie is about the frontier fighting back.

Christianity ->order, laws, people staying in line
Satanism -> animalistic freedom, being wild

So people really believe that the goat was satan and he talked to the girl and kids. That is literally retarded

keep thread going, taking the dog outside to suck him off, back soon

I feel like it's more about how you can only escape one hell to find yourself in an other one. She didn't seem all that rebellious to me. Did I miss clues somwhere ?

Watch out ! somebody's talking about religion he must be and alt-right-faggot.

wouldnt YOU want to live deliciously user?

>seriously_nigger.png

>being naked
>escaping all responsibility and all manner of bullshit criticism
>getting to live for ages, maybe forever
doesn't sound like a hell

>a fictional tale about a family dealing with a witch haunting them
>dude that can't happen in a story it's unrealistic lmao

there's nothing to understand
it's a standard supernatural horror film

No, there was actually a witch, there's no twist.

It really says something about modern movies that so many people are hunting for a twist here, it's actually more surprising for there to actually be a fucking witch.

It's a movie user, not a documentary.

The goat has always been the figurehead of satanism, so why the fuck not?

The devil presents himself in mysterious ways

That's a very religious centric point of view. The only was to escape an extremist religion is to go to the complete opposite ? I'm not saying you're wrong but it only occurs to me that this might be the point of the movie.

yeah I didn't understand that at all

she seemed to cling to saving her family at all costs until she had nothing left. I felt to sense of freedom or escape, but then again im not le euphoric

Mother was mentally unstable because of their life situation. Kids didn't speak in tongues, they were just annoying fucks. Thomasin used her brother in the woods and "found" him later (she had split personality, she also killed the babby). Brother was feverish and spoke religious mumbo jumbo because thats what religious people do.

Embracing the devil, and eschewing God is not embracing any other rule really. There is no piety in "following Satan", you just scorn God and do whatever you want.

Satanism is another thing of course, but Thomison seemed to just be embracing everything Christianity told her not to is all.

>one of the character has split personality/has visions/is generally crazy.

Yeah sure buddy.

That's what happens when people who believe in god do evil on Earth. When they've demonstrated that belief doesn't make you a better or happier person, what reaction should those who don't claim to speak to god have?

Following Satan is not satanism ? And yes satanism is about piety. The witches at the end are preaching in a black mass. She switched from a Christianity to it's polar opposite which is not atheism or a rejection of Christianity but a literal hatred of everything that is christian. From white to black.

when she lost the baby literally in a blink of an eye, that was a dead giveaway.

Modern Satanism does not require you to practice satanic scripture. Satanism isn't about piety. I see no reason to believe that this is a story about picking sides, it's about escape from the strict to the freeing. The actual logistics about their worship, WHO black PhIllip really was (what deity, if satan) and what those witches were practicing and to what end is not fully addressed. I don't think the specifics matter that much in the end.

>that's what happens
what happens? I don't understand what your post is talking about honestly.

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

For once we get a GOOD not over the top supernatural/fantastical horror movie. Something we haven't in a decade at least. And you want to put some fucking convoluted plot about madness?

Well okay. Prove your fucking point. Is there anything that let's us support the theory that it was all in the head of Thomasin ?

>yfw only retards like this film
Are you a retard?

delete your post

this is the kind of pop-film critique that comes from being schooled about SYMBOLISM and DOUBLE-MEANING and nothing else. get outta here u pleb

>mfw the ending was actually pretty redpilled

>Watch out ! somebody's talking about religion he must be and alt-right-faggot.

It wasn't that you're talking about religeon, it's that you assumed satanism is evil.
inb4 IT IS

This movie was terrible. That is all.

>Modern Satanism
Yeah, that's not the satanism we're talking about here.

Anti-piety is piety. When you worship something you are pious you have beliefs, rituals all that such.

I agree that it doesn't matter that or who Black Phillip is. But it is still important to note that worship did happen and that there was an abandonment of the old faith for a new one for Thomasin. She didn't strive to be free of christianity. There was no sign of that. She was in the end a victim, a willing victim but that's kind of the point. She was driven to a point where she had no other options.

Imma go to bed, hopefully this thread will be up when I wake up.

Movies been out for over a year and we still don't have a decent shot of that ass or know the body double it belongs to

>The director himself has stated that it is not "psychological".
That doesn't matter. The director's intent only only matters within the confines of the film. If he really wanted it to dispel that interpretation, he should have made it explicit in the film itself. Nothing outside of the film has any bearing, so OP's is a perfectly valid interpretation.

Was dat ass actually hers though is the real question?

It's a better movie if the supernatural shit isn't meant to be real tbqh.

I just don't see this as a tale of failing-faith. I see obstacles thrown up in Thomisin's way, then they get knocked over by what I see as a benevolent force, leading to her escape from oppression. This is Sup Forums, so I don't expect this to be taken well, but I find The Witch to have lots of feminist themes, which I think make up the "point" of the story if there is one.

>Modern Satanism does not require you to practice satanic scripture. Satanism isn't about piety. I see no reason to believe that this is a story about picking sides, it's about escape from the strict to the freeing. The actual logistics about their worship, WHO black PhIllip really was (what deity, if satan) and what those witches were practicing and to what end is not fully addressed. I don't think the specifics matter that much in the end.
There are 2 types of satanists. 1 type is just atheists trying to show stupidity of religion by demanding equal representation everytime church tries to get into school or gov building. the other type has scripture and rules

>he should have made it explicit in the film itself

you are the incarnation of what a terrible movie critic is.

actual Satanism (worship of Satan) is inherently evil

modern Satanism (cheeky atheism used to troll fundies) is not (except to fundies)

She sold her soul to the devil to become "free." Just like feminists.

>Anti-piety is piety.

Ah the old 'atheism is a form of belief in itself' arguement. That's a bit dellusional friend.

I only mentioned it because I wanted to clarify that just because Satan worship was mentioned in my posts, I do not believe the stuff in the movie is explicitly Satanism. Whatever was going on in the movie wasn't the same as what is normally called Satanism imo

>he should have made it explicit in the film itself
Are you retarded? Did you miss the part when the goat turned into Satan and the other witches started flying? Anyone who thinks there wasn't any supernatural element in this film didn't watch it.

NO FROGS!!!

Are you guys serious with this embracing the Devil is a good thing argument? That the ending is a happy ending?

How? The movie presents all forces of darkness as evil. Antagonists. Thomasin and her family run from the bad guys all movie until they're all wiped out and Thomasin is coaxed into becoming a witch. It's a downer ending in the context of the movie, religious beliefs or lack thereof aside.

The Devil/the witches/evil won. And they were the antagonists.

I just don't understand where this interpretation is coming from at all because there is no evidence pointing to surrendering to the dark side or whatever as being a good thing.

It's all because her brother didn't want to give her the D.

>mfw a relativist sits near me

Can you rearrange your words into an actual arguement? Satanism is closer to having no beliefs than to evil. btw what do you personally think evil is?

Sup Forums pls go

What kind of films people are watching when they are disappointed when there's no le epic twist, boss fight or "happy" ending?

see

Two dichotomies are set up in the movie, and you chose to follow the simplest, most Hollywood of the two? Maybe you can't imagine it any other way. It MUST be good vs evil

The hardcore Christians that are the family vs the town that kicks their anachronistic asses out of the town
The harsh, pious and hopeless Christian family and bull-headed father vs freedom, happiness, butter

Don't ever talk about film ever again if this is any sampling of the weak shit you usually bring to the table.

No, explain it to me faggot. Because the ending you're all proposing is better than the one I watched.

Feminism and post-modern (((art))).

>Movie blaringly about religion
>"I think it's about feminism"
Seriously fuck you. Fuck you for even saying that. Fuck you for thinking that LITERALLY EVERYTHING has to be about social justice. Apparently it isn't enough that literary theory was politically radicalized, women and minorities got an excuse to publish bad art, we abandoned the idea that art can even be bad for the sake of using it for social justice, and the general consensus is that we can't know anything about anything JUST SO SOCIAL JUSTICE CAN PREVAIL. No, even the non-dogmatists who try to make art about something else are gonna get social justice themes forced into their work despite their intention because, as Stanley Fish (the fucking hack) says himself, "the words of the book don't matter, everything is in the mind of the reader"
FUCK.
YOU.

>Did you miss the part when the goat turned into Satan and the other witches started flying?
So there's no such thing as symbolism or abstraction?

And for the record, I never said I agree with the "psychological" argument. Just that the director can't retroactively negate that argument. The film speaks for itself.

see

Jesus christ buddy. I mean have your own little plebbit opinion all you want but this story was about witches in the woods using black magic and curses to fuck over this family

They were separated from the rest of their flock, so they were vulnerable and weak.
The devil wanted Tomin because she was a ripe young girl he could tempt easily so he used the witches to do things that would isolate her from her family and turn them against her

You could go on in an abstract sense about how youths hitting puberty are dualistic in a certain sense and want to break away from their family while also loving them and this creates a certain kind of conflict

But in no way was Tomin already a witch and she did not ACTUALLY have some sort of mental illness or split personality. It's a fantasy movie about witches. The devil wanted her so he put her in a position where her only option was joining him.

People like you are no fun

So if this is the director's intent, then why is it that he chose to present the evil side as just being straight up evil without any inclination that it's actually representative of freedom? There's a case to be made for the father's stubbornness and retardation being the downfall of his family and that their lives with the way they were because they lived in a self imposed hell. But going off this, it just seems that she went from bad to worse.

Dude, it is not even a stretch to see this film as the story of a woman escaping from oppression. It is so clearly obviously there that you HAVE to ignore it. Not even a stretch my dude.

Wrong.

Wrong.

>freedom is having Satan's hand up your ass
aight