Was 2005-2008 (the snap/ringtone rap era) the worst era in hip hop? When unlistenable, juvenile, unmusical...

Was 2005-2008 (the snap/ringtone rap era) the worst era in hip hop? When unlistenable, juvenile, unmusical, moronic trash like D4L, Kelis, Dem Franchise Boyz, Hurricane Chris, Jibbs, and Soulja Boy dominated the charts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dnKtO4q9hA0
youtube.com/watch?v=ofHrdqEcGfo
youtube.com/watch?v=yDMiKT5rqHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qv9VKKXwVxU
youtube.com/watch?v=0FOjmV66zf8
youtube.com/watch?v=rmizz4lLMxY
youtube.com/watch?v=DlRrBYk_5Kc
youtube.com/watch?v=perdWKW1eb0
youtube.com/watch?v=TD_GGnS52qA
youtube.com/watch?v=zefI1vmNoOA
youtube.com/watch?v=herLMUn2-U0
youtube.com/watch?v=blVzLM3qGqY
youtube.com/watch?v=SFI_sNLZrRU
youtube.com/watch?v=fJdN2rYuTok
soundcloud.com/twacharlesh/the-swingback
youtube.com/watch?v=SRcnnId15BA
youtube.com/watch?v=uPtvWcXJHws
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no that shit was good

it was bad, but mumble rap is even worse. the main difference is that critics weren't morally obligated to worship every new flash in the pan rap single back in the 2000's

this

Dumb fun is better than dumb boredom a la migos, 21 savage, etc etc

I would have agreed a few year ago until we reached the age of soundcloud rap with every moron having dyed dread, face tattos, and mumbling about lean and xanex.

At least ringtone rap was funny

ringtone rap was the last expression of the black proles before rap became uber pretentious and more concerned with what bourgeoisie white hipster dork websites said about them and started wearing tight pants and dresses.
It also coincided with the last major wave of rock music before the neoliberal hipsters that inhabit those websites decided it was better to celebrate the corporate mediocrity of top 40 pop.

What im getting at is that in order to be a music critic a person should be forced to be a welders apprentice in kansas

basically this

you know, maybe the commies were on to something. rich people really do ruin everything

(((rich people)))

That's literally my favorite pop rap music era, though it was probably because it coincided with my falchion days of school

rap music used to be black and lower class. It was an expression from the streets.
Poptamism is just consumer capitalism masked under the idea of being socially liberal.

I mean really fucking think about it from a class perspective. You realize poptamism is just a social signifier fore petit bourgise coastal liberals.
They arent one of them dumb fucks from middle america that like foo fighters.
They are an open minded cosmopolitan liberal who enjoys whatever corporate abomination the record company feeds them.

Its hooked into their identity. And the obama years were peak neoliberal identity politics

You tell them that buying a beyonce album means they are good feminists.

A communist would know that there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism.

The lowerclass, the underground, the heathens on the edge of society, the proles. Thats were all good art starts.

And the music critics in their unending quest to not appear out of touch or bourgies champion the stupidest and shittiest music on the planet. Because they convince themselves that is more authentic

You want to know how to get a good p4k score? Make them think you are authentic.

At least that shit was fun and catchy. Mumble rap is literally that, lazily mumbling retarded shit over tinny, shitty trap beats.

this is wrong, they both suck but ringtone rap was a whole other level of shit. Saying that mumble rap is worse because critics say it's good is retarded. It also shows that Sup Forums only bases their opinions on how artists are viewed by everyone else. Contrarian brainlet

Literally the best era of rap

everyone likes rap, rap is the mainstream. Its not cool.
The coolest thing you can do now is wear suits and play the accordion.
Thats what being a rebel is

mainstream rap hasn't been good since the end of the 90's

think for yourself instead of mindlessly doing the opposite of what's in-style just to be "different"

>What im getting at is that in order to be a music critic a person should be forced to be a welders apprentice in kansas
please sticky this

so i should think for myself by conforming to what everyone else is doing?

Nah, the real rebels are the ones who dont follow trends.

The last thing i would be caught doing in this age is listening to rap

Seconded

>caring about image
>not just liking things that you like
way to be a poser fag

2005-2008 also had metalcore, which is objectively the worst genre ever and the metal equivalent of ringtone rap

lmao. post grunge and indie rock are infinitely worse.

>The lowerclass, the underground, the heathens on the edge of society, the proles. Thats were all good art starts.
Literally none of the artists who invented this idea that you just lifted out of the sub-thought expressions in pop-culture you've passively ingested since childhood were ever any of those things. Art has always been the realm of the well-off, upperclass, "noble" members of society.

it's one thing to ignore trends

it's another thing to do the exact opposite to make yourself feel smarter. You sound like the kind of person who listens to music as a fashion statement, same as the mumble-rap fans you hate so much

No, i dont listen to music thats popular. I listen to music because i like it. Not because everyone else is doing it.

>Ignoring the years when T.I was spittin hard, before his imprisonment, and led the Southern Trap scene alongside Yung Joc, Big Kuntry (underrated genius) and co.

>Forgetting the time when The Game brought Compton Gangsta rap back on the map, after his feud with G-Unit, when he collaborated with Dre and Busta.

>Neglecting the best years in Kanye's career as a rapper (not a producer though), before he went crazy.

>Overlooking the golden years of RnB, after the R.Kelly story exploded and brought an end to his over-sexualized dominion over the scene. When Akon, T-Pain, Usher, Trey Songz, The Dream (best voice ever), Ne-Yo and pre-Rihanna Chris Brown were on the rise. Just before autotune became overabundant and fucked it up.

I personally liked the DJ Spinz Southern Swagger mixtapes, the Nitti and Swizz beats were insane (better than the repetitive Mustard...). They are shallow lyrically, but c'mon, it's not like you would expect something sophisticated, and you still had the occasional Tech-N9ne, Jadakiss and Ludacris song to listen to (not to mention underground rap, of course).

Soulja Boy was a one hit wonder and never dominated the scene, the same with the others you mentioned (yeah, like 'King Kong' by Hurricane Chris and Jibbs was any bigger than Ridin' Dirty the super-meme or anything by T-Pain). I am putting Lil Wayne aside because he is always dominant, but inconsistent with his sharpness and wit, so irrelevant.

And I don't get why everything people see in today's rap scene is the mumble crap, when there has never been such a rise of so many unique and talented voices altogether: Logic, Kendric, Dicky, Gambino etc. I really do think the Nerdcore scene is gonna explode due to their geeky-ish nature. And of course, Eminem is still active, which always overshadows everything else in the industry, especially when he disses the President.

>The lowerclass, the underground, the heathens on the edge of society, the proles. Thats were all good art starts.
damn, it's absolutely retarded

people dont listen to classical music anymore pol tard. They listen to some nigger rhyming man
The concept of art has changed since the 1600's you moron

>real rebels do ______
>I would be caught doing ______
>I listen to music because i like it. Not because everyone else is doing it.
Do you see the hypocrisy?

>Logic, Kendric, Dicky, Gambino
LMAO. fucking boring ass garbage.

What was punk rock, what was techno, what was hip hop, what were the blues?

It's easier for rich people to participate in art, but they are not the sole participant, and a plethora of genres arose from the lower class only to be co-opted by the wealthy.

When people are calling people culture vultures too often they racialize their grievances, when in actuality someone like post malone or drake taking something and becoming more successful than the people who created it has to do with their relative wealth. The rich really produce nothing, they only exploit.

how is that hypocritical? Going against the grain, going against whats popular. Not conforming. Thats rebellion. Not dressing, acting, and listening to the same things everyone else does

>hating on Kelis
Shit taste

yes but going against the grain for the sake of it just makes you just as much of a follower. It's like how goths rebelled against the mainstream by looking and dressing exactly the same as each other.

>gambino
>boring ass garbage
incorrect

I forgot to mention Hopsin, is that 'interesting' enough for you edgy teens?

how am i a follower if i am not following anyone but my own path?
You are trying way to hard to make this a thing dude.

hopsin is fucking garbage along with everybody else you listed. typical suburban white kid WOKE garbage.

>Kelis

Nas went...
And tattoo'd the bitch on his arm.

Kelis is actually a fairly decent RnB singer though

Rumble is a good song

T-Pain is patrician, suck my flaccid dong and check these

youtube.com/watch?v=dnKtO4q9hA0

okay brainlet, you've made your point, you can go fap to cardi B and loop Migos while I finish my Physics degree.

>hopped off the bed
>turn my swag on
>take a look to the mirror
>say wassup
>yeah I'm getting money
>awww
It was [fire emoji]

I dont get why people the on old BMTH or Suicide Silence. It is great metal

bump

at least ringtone rap got 15 year old girls to grind their asses on me at high school homecoming. This backpack shit is impossible to mack to

they would probably make more in a winter of fixing farm equipment as a certified welder than their lifetime of adclick revenue too

>Nerdcore
cringe

was he our guy?
youtube.com/watch?v=ofHrdqEcGfo

>what if chris chan was black

YOUR A FUCKING MORON

yeah basically except he could rap and produce, and like all the greatest rappers today he's done a fire in the boof with charlie slof
youtube.com/watch?v=yDMiKT5rqHQ

>D4L
That shit was just randomly played at parties.
>Kelis
Solid fucking artist. What.
>Dem Franchise Boyz
It was funny how awful they were at rapping. Singles were good for parties.
>Hurricane Chris
That shit flopped almost immediately.
>Jibbs
I don't even remember this one.
>Soulja Boy
Paved the way for soundcloud rappers, who are largely worse.

While some of the groups sucked, the hip hop of the 2000s was damn good fun. I miss that.

We need to get away from these blanket "xxxx era was bad" shit. It's dumb.

Limp Bizkit will save hip hop with Stampede of The Disco Elephants.

No, the worst era for hip-hop was by far the jerking era.

youtube.com/watch?v=qv9VKKXwVxU
youtube.com/watch?v=0FOjmV66zf8
youtube.com/watch?v=rmizz4lLMxY
youtube.com/watch?v=DlRrBYk_5Kc
youtube.com/watch?v=perdWKW1eb0

This.
Hip-Hop has been terrible for the entire time it existed.

you aren't wrong but the way you said that makes you sound like a twat

he was our only hope, now adays he just freestyles on IG while looking homeless

t. soyboy

>I really do think the Nerdcore scene is gonna explode due to their geeky-ish nature.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
We'll get a disco-rap revival movement before that shit

>implying Cardi B and Migos are trash
>implying that your opinion is worth more because you listen to backpack rap and go to college
you are exactly what's wrong with the culture

this is so bad i dont even think they would make it in todays soundcloud era of rappers. nothing special lyrically, no witty punchlines or metaphors, bland delivery, horrible beats. wtf

>unlistenable, juvenile, unmusical, moronic trash

you looked to the past but unwittingly described the present. fascinating.

>falchion
lol I think you mean 'halcyon'
a falchion is a type of sword

>backpack rap
now thats a term I haven't heard in a long time

I like hip hop music from before 2015, probably because that's when I was younger and looking up to "cool people" (I'm 19 now). My music taste has also changed from trying to fit in with modern rap to metal in 2013. Theres still the odd song on the radio I genuinely like, but most of it sounds horrible. The same goes with rappers. I don't mind Lil Pump or xxxtentacion, or some regional underground rappers.

ur a jerk

These songs were literally made as background music for the silly dance they're all doing in the videos and rapping about in the songs.
The dance is called jerking that's what they're all doing.
It's the worst thing ever. I wouldn't be surprised if half of these niggas had topped themselves out of embarrassment.

youtube.com/watch?v=TD_GGnS52qA

and i thought rap was cookie cutter now but now that i look back at it, this jerk movement was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse. and this clip is cringeworthy, a bunch of suburban black dudes saying "yeah my nigga" over and over again then turning around and calling themselves nerds. im happy this has been almost forgotten

its like these dudes know theyre super lame but since they made a song that got them some semi-fame, they just run with it

kys

You weren't expected to pretend Kiss Me Thru The Phone was a masterwork of profound economic-racial philosophy though.
Part of what makes modern trap/pop so unbearable is how seriously it takes itself, and how artists only succeed through industry connections or by checking off the right boxes on Pitchfork's agenda. 2000s rap was dumb fun, or just dumb at worst.

This absolutely fell apart in the last paragraph
If it's b8, truly good job

who are your favoirte artists?

2005-07 wasn't bad tho

>>implying Cardi B and Migos are trash
Alright don't get ahead of yourself

The New Boyz managed to move away from the jerking shite and build a pretty decent career out of their You're A Jerk song. They dropped 2 albums and had 3 platinum singles that were pretty popular radio/club hits at the time. It's impressive considering one of them was an average at best rapper and the other was godawful.

youtube.com/watch?v=zefI1vmNoOA
youtube.com/watch?v=herLMUn2-U0
youtube.com/watch?v=blVzLM3qGqY
youtube.com/watch?v=SFI_sNLZrRU

Now they've split and one of them's gotten on the drugs.
youtube.com/watch?v=fJdN2rYuTok

nice reading comprehension

Yes overall it was a weak era but there’s some gold that came out during that time. Here’s a few albums worth checking out:
Common - Be
Little Brother - The Minstrel show
Kanye West - Late Registration
Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor
J Dilla - Donuts
Madlib - Beat Konducta In India
Blu and Exile - Below The Heavens
Danny Brown - Hot Soup
Q Tip - The Renaissance

They were weak years overall but like every year it wasn’t without a few highlights.

>before rap became uber pretentious and more concerned with what bourgeoisie white hipster dork websites said about them and started

Juju On That Beat, Watch Me, Black Beatles.

i never heard most of those songs, New Boyz where the best to come out of that wave tho, and i am impressed they where able to sell records and work with so many different artists in the industry at such a young age, you gotta have a good attitude and outstanding character to pull that off.

I liked chopped Paul Wall an the Three Six Mafia guys. Also, prime Lil Wayne.

>art has always been the realm of the well-off
this isn't the 1700s anymore. Maybe back in the renaissance this was true, but rich people can't make good music anymore, at least in the pop realm. Most genres came from poverty stricken blacks and poor people in general. Struggle begets creativity, and have you listened to a lot of born wealthy people's music? In my perception, they always seem to miss that "pain" or "struggle" feeling. This is a generalization but you get the idea.

he still uploads shit to soundcloud and there's occasionally some diamonds in the rough like this. he's been open to critique and what fans want/expect from him on twitter a lot recently so hopefully he'll start writing again
soundcloud.com/twacharlesh/the-swingback

dude is in a different vortex, like he has no control over his brain

damn, I don't come here often any more but Sup Forums has really gone downhill

Punk rock killed music you stupid fucking commie

It was the best you pleb.

youtube.com/watch?v=SRcnnId15BA

>all that shitty hip-hop in GTA IV because it came out during the bling era
>tfw Kanye is unironically the only good song on the soundtrack

I'm pretty sure music is still around, sorry I hurt your rich kid feelings, hopefully your mom can get you a good (((therapist))) before your mcmansion gets repossessed by the proles.

50 cent legit looks retarded

Gta IV soundtrack was indeed 10 times better

Yeah, they never really didn't anything interesting which is why people always love to say that they were a one hit wonder but they really weren't. They were around for a good few years and had a few hits at the time.

Also I maintain that the lightskin dude was never that bad and could've been a decent rapper if he was led down a different path musically.

youtube.com/watch?v=uPtvWcXJHws

>Kelis
>bad
nigga fuck you

checked