/prod/ baby! It's Production General!

Adderall Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting, and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/m2skhp45
zero-g.co.uk/products/jungle-warfare-volume-1
forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=38210
thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiChords
soundcloud.com/narcoricterys/storm-song2
clyp.it/fzjy0ibh
youtube.com/watch?v=xCwGMLncumM
vocaroo.com/i/s0hPxJFuN3RM
clyp.it/3y10rocj
superlust.bandcamp.com/album/ct-kidob-rot-maschine
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV
m.linuxjournal.com/video/hyper-low-latency-audio-real-time-kernel
soundcloud.com/user-655852679/update-this
clyp.it/wy3px0gf
pastebin.com/cCA5in17
youtube.com/watch?v=9PoPv0Gj9_o
youtube.com/watch?v=va4OyeQHbr8
clyp.it/wa2pcfuz
youtu.be/XD5bKbM4OhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9QQ1T-ikBQQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ask me anything I'm nobody

what is your name?

Bongo Billy

The funkiest ass-slapper this side of Texas

real shit

clyp.it/m2skhp45

been workin on this, aaaaaaaaaany advice, esp composition-wise would b greatly appreciated

Any of you using any android/iOS apps for making music?

not for making exactly, but i have a keyboard app installed on my phone that i can put record ideas into if i come up with something on the bus/at uni or something like that. one of my mates does a similiar thing but just hums into his phone and records his voice.

Where does Sup Forums get audio samples from?

Sample packs can be expensive and torrents for newer stuff are hard to find.

I've recently discovered Splice. It's very time-consuming to use, but I do like the pay-for-what-you-want model.

Anyone else find producing really tiresome? Like I'll work on a project for ~2 hours and afterwards I feel like I just spent 6 hours and my body is all tired. What's up with that?

The reed sounding thing seems out of place before the drums come in. It's overbearing in terms of how often it's present and how many notes its playing, seems like the piano / xylophone bits are enough. It's alright with the drums, only comes in here and there and there's less happening so it's less clustered.

Old breaks, collections from users on forums like Dogs on Acid, googling for samples people have in public directories like intitle:index.of "parent directory" kick wav, checking SoulSeek, BedroomProducers, drum machines, etc. Don't really look much anymore unless I stumble on something real interesting like some samples from a pack a user uploaded that I traced to some E-Lab set. Got gigabytes of samples and I don't use most of em, think I'm set.

ADD? Monitor too bright? Depression? Poor workflow?

For whatever reason applying some attention and focus is draining you despite presumably enjoying the process, even if your workflow is trash I don't think that'd happen from that alone. Only thing I can think of like that with me is reading / studying. Does it feel like your body is actively trying to get away from it? Like holding two magnets together at the same poles?

Yeah I guess it's some form of ADD. I usually procrastinate a lot and don't do anything with my life but when I produce I focus 100% on the project and forget about everything else. But once I'm done with the session I'm drained.

Kinda wanna mess with something other than 4/4 and I've settled on 3/5, or what I'm actually using in FL which is 6 beats and 5 bars because I like having the finer grid, and I wanted to see what other folks have composed or what other cultures have for rhythms in this time signature and I just see folks sayin it doesn't exist?

What's up with that?

I'm lookin at 3/5 right now, I have a drum rhythm written for it, I'm hearing it, what's the issue?

My rhythm is going 1 2 3 1 2 with a constant 123123123123123 in the hats, is this just something else entirely?

I have quite a few iOS apps for the iPad that I like to mess about with sometimes when I don’t feel like actually being in the studio. I often use it as an effects unit for synths too. Favourites are:
>Korg
iMS-20, iM1, ODYSSEi, iWavetable, gadget.
>akai
MPC Pro
>Steinberg
Cubasis
>Various
Troublemaker, Cassini, Thor, borderlands, Photophore.
>effects
AUFX-Dub delay, space.
amazing noises-Reverb, Dedalus
Flux-fx

i've been experiencing this lately. i can't focus and dick around for most of the day when i have a thesis statement due on friday, but when i do work, it's for a few hours, and it's exhausting. i didn't used to have this problem, although i also used to get suicidally obsessed with completing my work, like my life would be over if i didn't get good grades.

i got over that, cause it was causing me to waste away, but now i have nothing to drive me; i'm looking for a positive motive, but i don't about anything profitable. i like media. i like playing games and reading scifi and listening to music, but actually doing anything significant? i burn out immediately.

Zero-G jungle warfare sample packs are on offer at the moment. Classic sample packs for jungle.

Didn't know they could still sell those, maybe I'm thinking of a different Zero-G set.

I find working on the computer makes me super tired. It basically puts me to sleep. Working with hardware seems to keep me ingaged for some reason so I tend to be going this route nowadays. As much as I like /prod/ing ITB for convenience I just can’t do it anymore.

i think the piano should sound just a tad quieter, so that you don't hear the percussive qualities

otherwise the piano sound will sound like something from a wii sports soundtrack

I don’t think they ever stopped selling them, just no physical sale anymore, download only.

zero-g.co.uk/products/jungle-warfare-volume-1

Adding onto your idea, maybe work in some articulation so that some notes are percussive and some have the percussive element softened, be it through a bit of a slower attack or lowpass or starting the sample playback a little later to skip that section, or some mix of the three. Make it more expressive and able to emphasize some beats.

can I make any synth on fl studio have midi chords, as in play a whole chord just by presing one note on the keyboard? I know ableton has the shift knobs but on fl studio?

>3/5
literally what
Set different pitches/notes for every oscillator.

RTFM Yeah

I love making tracks and feel energised by it but the mixing stage often leaves me tired and frustrated even when it's sounding good, I hope this is something that'll be less of a problem as I improve

texas meet up when

Like this.

Only thing I can think of within FL is the echo option under the Function (FUNC) tab of the channel settings window which just plays additional notes to make echos. You can set the time to 0 and set the pitch +/- 1200 cents but it's not useful for chords, only special effects / chorus.

SynthMaker can do it if you make it but I don't know much about it. forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=38210 This has a ready made SynthMaker plugin but I haven't known my ImageLine info for a decade so I can't get the attached file.

However there's VST plugins that'll turn one midi note into a midi chord you can route to a synth like thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiChords and probably others. Might want to Google around a bit, this one mentions needing to donate to remove the demo text but I'm not sure if it's a nag message or if it literally just says demo on the UI while still working fine.

You ever try the pink noise trick? You get something like mdaTestTone to generate pink noise which is even across the octaves and you adjust the volume of everything until you can just barely hear it through the noise. Maybe even EQ the tracks a bit so the most important ranges poke through just a little.

I ain't drivin to Texas.

How much should I pay attention to random peaks?
On the track I'm working on at the moment my kick and bass are bussed together and on one note in the bassline it jumps up by 2db but doesn't sound any louder than the other points they play together, i've limited just this one note and it doesn't really sound any different but now the little peak is gone.
I also have a master limiter that I turn on periodically to check how the track sounds when at roughly the same lufs/rms and volume as my reference tracks and when that little peak is caught by the master limiter it distorts a little but when it's caught on the bus first it doesn't.
Is this the correct approach?
Is there some tool or method I could be using to do this better?
Been stressing about this the past two days

I recently started working with Serum and I have to say it's improved my mixes considerably just by itself. I mostly make Drum and Bass and Trip Hop so what works for me won't necessarily work for you but sometimes just switching up your tool set within the parameters of the gear you already possess will go a long way towards making that problem go away. I had serum sitting on my hard drive for months before I bothered to think about using it. Maybe someday I'll do the same thing with the copy of FL Studio that I have.

I'm including my most recent DnB track for reference for the kinds of sounds Serum is good for

I have heard of the pink noise method but I don't really get how it works or why it's a good idea

soundcloud.com/narcoricterys/storm-song2

whoops forgot the track

Yeah I've definitely found that I've found mixing better and easier by using better sounds and focusing more on the arrangement and crafting the sounds more in the sort of mix preparation stage has helped a lot, I've even done some stuff I'm pretty happy with and is quite close to the tracks I like but I just find the whole process quite a drag still

Gives you a reference of how loud each frequency range is since it's all equal. Without it you might think the bass is louder than the treble or something when in reality it isn't, be it through ear fatigue or your speakers or w/e. Also if you can just barely hear it through an even distribution of noise that's filling all the frequencies, you'll be able to hear it in music that's less spectrally dense than absolute noise.

I'm not the biggest DnB head but this is pretty good imo

Not quite how that works. 4/4 implies there are 4 quarter note beats per measure. 3/5 would imply 3 fifth notes to each measure which... just no. You're essentially in 5/4 time with triplets on the hats.

ayy thanks, still working on it but the majority is there

Oh, alright.

clyp.it/fzjy0ibh

Was pretty fun and different.

>Like this.
so, 5/4?
Us an ISP limiter.

this might be a tad out there for /prod/ but why the fuck does the power supply that came with my 1990 alesis sr-16 have a 3.5mm jack instead of a standard plug

If we're talking songwriting what's the deal with rhyming? Do you try to rhyme all the time?
Do you try to rhyme when to put extra weight behind on that particulair sentence or do you not rhyme to accentuate that sentence?

unless you're rapping, you don't need to rhyme at all?

was wondering how to get this sort of ethereal sound youtube.com/watch?v=xCwGMLncumM
whenever I try adding reverb and or delay it ends up too messy. I'm using Reaper + guitar rig if that helps.

So this is pretty much the first actual project I made in LMMS... a backing track for Snow ((Hey Oh)) that I can sing and play the guitar to. I don't have a bass so I had to try and emulate one using the triple wave oscillator... mixed results. Not happy with the hi hat samples either, I need to go hunting for better ones. Might add more automation tracks to control drum volume for different parts as well.
Aside from that, can you give a noob some pointers?

vocaroo.com/i/s0hPxJFuN3RM
(Skip to around 3 min)

>Not talking in rhymes and riddles constant

what i started last night. i think the acapella i have is kind of tainted cause around the second half the vocals get sped up or something and goes off beat a little so i tried stretching it out in ableton to get it back on beat. not perfect but still. clyp.it/3y10rocj

virgin digital vs virgin analog vs chad hybrid

i wish this was higher quality cause i would jam it

>his post doesn't rhyme and isn't verbose
What are you doing? Into the trash it goes.

I think it would sound great if you had better instrument for the bass something like kontakt or other sampler and more realistic sounding drums they sound too robotic and same velocity

I tried varying the velocity for things like 16ths on the snare, 8ths on the ride / hi hat etc, reckon I should do that to a more extreme degree or just modulate it with an LFO?
The OEM drum samples sound bad, I agree. Will go hunting for better ones. The tambourine samples are actually some I found myself, too bad you can barely hear them over everything else.
Bass.. I worked with what I had. Any idea how I could modify the triple oscillator settings to achieve a more natural sound? I could always just play it on guitar and pitch shift it down one octave...

you dont have a synth that has a bass wavetable? most synths nowadays have some sort of bass guitar wave. also for drums try to move em around abit so they're not perfectly on beat

that plug looks like its one of those multi use plug adapters, but your missing the piece it goes into to make it compatible with the alesis.

probably be better off just getting the correct adapter for the alesis. Check the manual of back/base of device for a voltage level and either a - over +, or + over - symbol... then amazon one that matches that

>synth that has a bass wavetable
There is a wavetable synth but it doesn't have any bass-like sounding presets. Will play with it a bit I guess.
>also for drums try to move em around abit so they're not perfectly on beat
Good idea, will do. I'll also move them around on the stereo matrix I guess, pan them out a bit.

anybody here use Max/Msp? just shamelessly stole this book online and am planning to read it. are there any other proper beginner books for max out there?

I'm just gonna quietly shill my label's freshest tracks.

superlust.bandcamp.com/album/ct-kidob-rot-maschine

Thank you.

I am using max/msp for a few things. Everything I know was learned from youtube videos. It's not that difficult as it first seems.
I don't use it much tho, the visual programming feels fucking babby while being needlessly complicated. I've had much more fun building my own shit in reaktor.

Please don't. I can't stop you but please don't.

Can a pirated Serum copy run without constantly crashing?

Y'all care way too much about pirating synths and Serum.

Ain't your DAW come with somethin? Ain't you looked at the plethora of free synths out there?

And you know some wiseguy is gonna say somethin like Oh yeah well what synth that isn't Serum is exactly Serum? like it matters.

Like damn, just pick a synth that works and learn to use it, please, God, quit chasing some mythical music goodizer plugin. Biggest that changes when you start making good music is you.

This user knows whats up

Who hurt you

cheap shit studio monitors

plz help

Y'all fuckers.

For whoever makes the next thread:
Include the /prod/ pastebin:
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

budget

>mfw 3ms latency on toaster laptop
m.linuxjournal.com/video/hyper-low-latency-audio-real-time-kernel

price of a blowjob

...alright well I saw someone post a soundcloud link so I guess it's alright. I just don't have any other sites and I was wondering if a prod. could tell me what they think of this:

soundcloud.com/user-655852679/update-this

I like most of it the only part I'm worried of is the granular part: I don't want it to be too overpowering or raw? I also feel now listening to it again it needs limiting but I don't want to mess with the integrity of the drums. I don't know. any advice is much appreciated...

Use Clyp.it guys posting soundcloud and bandcamp links isn't welcome here.

There are threads for you to shill your music elsewhere. Please

*please x-cuse my other post.

clyp.it/wy3px0gf

o.k. that as easier then I thought...

what is the ramen pack in the pastebin
cant seem to find it

(I agree never even used serum, plus music is an enjoyment. it's a gift we were blessed to have not something to quarrel over, never understood prod.'s who argue over the tiniest things like: it's not a big deal yo.)

I don't understand the question. ramen pack?

Kinda sounds really good I think, But really disjointed. The Bass seems to be overpowering everything else. 3:23 sounds good to me. I'd lose the jazzy nonsense myself but I dunno, I'm guessing you're going for that kinda style? Sounds like 4 kids have been let loose on a couple of instruments each and are just bashing the fuck out of them. Sorry user

pastebin.com/cCA5in17
under other vsts in the main pastebin, i got everything from here except the 'ramen pack'

I'm using addictive keys and I've actually never figured out away to remove it without affecting the sound much. everyone always comments on it so maybe i'll just replace it. I really like the hammered sound for some music but i sometimes it just doesnt fit.

also understandable, i have a tendency to do too much, i'll try fix that.

>have the percussive element softened, be it through a bit of a slower attack
Yeah this is the only way I've managed to fix it this problem in the past, filtering never worked

thx for the help

>pastebin.com/cCA5in17
Fuck knows. Who even uses the stuff in the pastebin? Its probably some shitty Amen sample pack

no, not at all. I heard good and trash in the same sentence, this was my goal. ,My style is...me. thank you. I probably will lower that bass a pinch. thx for listening.

I want someone to use the amen sample pack, serum, a kontakt instrument, and some synth straight out of ableton, then title it: "Brrrap sauce"

Well I'm working on breaks guess i could call that "Brrrap Breaks" if that'll make you happy?

How's your desk and chair setup? If they suck, that could cause fatigue

ha,
kool.

you have some shit...
that you need to be doing.
go do it, and get it over with, and get back to producing,
(unless it's killing yourself in which case just skip that step -amen.)

I have no musical ability whatsoever other than playing some songs on guitar that I learned and I want to get into making electronic music, mostly without a computer since I sit in front of that thing too much already anway.
Where do I start this endeavour? Currently trying syntorial. But how do I get stuff to actually sound good together on a sequencer? Is that just trial and error and basically practise or are there resources to get me started?

I'd appreciate the help

So What are you using if not a computer? Do you have a synth? a Sequencer? Come on Help us help you

I'm using Reason 5 as a beginner and the synths and whole thing is easy to use and there's a lot of good tutorials from propellerheads youtube channel already. The sampling in reason is kinda shitty though, there's no ability to pitch shift samples while keeping the same speed. If someone knows if Reason 9.5 or 10 has this feature I might buy it.

How to get stuff that sounds good together? You mean like, how do you write music or how do you make sounds that don't clash?

If it's writing music:

Both excellent music teachers with building blocks / beginners info on music theory that isn't dry and unwatchable. They talk and illustrate and Micheal New will play things on his keyboard so you can see that too.

Sorry, sure.
So far I got a pocket operator PO-20 and a volca sample, wanted to get into it cheap to try it out first. Meaning to expand the volca range before I move into more expensive territories.

this is how you actually make money doing this user, you get a band, and you make some songs, write them down and stuff, then you go to shows and gigs once you git gud, and then you get paid, and then when you want an album you come to us and we record your stuff. I'd recommend buying a cheap synth, practice on both guitar and synth, and get some people together and practice at least 10 hours a week, maybe more, then go to shows and junk. or join someone looking to start a band on craigslist or something.

Are You the user from the last thread? Electribe, Circuit Sample user?

Please don't profile me.

profiling is my fetish....
(not him...)

I really like these techno tracks from moderat and jon hopkins that run for longer than 5 minutes:

youtube.com/watch?v=9PoPv0Gj9_o
youtube.com/watch?v=va4OyeQHbr8

How can I extend my song to go on for longer, got any ideas?

here's the link: clyp.it/wa2pcfuz

My chair is indeed shit, it's just a free chair that a neighbor left standing around in the hallway because he didn't need it anymore. It's an "ergonomic" office chair but I think it fucks up my back.

Nah I make enough money to live off of and everything is going pretty well in my life I've just been procrastinating stuff all my life, it's really difficult to change a habit I've had for over 20 years now but I'm working on it.

I'd start with reading the manual for the volca. Then just fuck about with that. the stock samples are a good place to start. I just loaded mine back up with the stock samples yesterday and was enjoying using them.
Play with the looping function and motion sequencing along with the sample start and end points. with short sample lengths you can get some really cool granular-like shit going on

youtu.be/XD5bKbM4OhQ

(skips to 6 in...)
looks like basically you just loop till you can't loop no more in his case, but honestly: it's parts: variations of parts:
youtube.com/watch?v=9QQ1T-ikBQQ