Short film ideas based around a glass of water, please hellpppp

short film ideas based around a glass of water, please hellpppp

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle
youtube.com/watch?v=7ADBL7_A9qA&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=stRPiifxQnM
youtube.com/watch?v=IwAQ6SbpSn0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That old trope where the poison is in a glass and it ends up getting passed around back and forth on accident. By the end it's been passed like 5-6 times between three people (one is a waiter), and the protagonist is pretty sure it's finally back to the victim's drink. They drink their water and finish their conversation and leave, and some extra in the background dies.

For it to be good, their conversation has to be about a spy thing, and it has to escalate.

guy comes home covered in dust wearing a blue collar uniform. slides his steel capped boots off and exhales.

goes to the kitchen and washes his hands with soap and stares out the window.

fixes himself a nice tall glass of water.

walks back around the house and finds his wife on the computer.

she bitches him out for not bringing him a glass.you dont care about me. youre never home.

he slams the glass into the wall, bloodied hand

she begins to cry and dials for the police

he does the hokey pokey and they turn around

thats what its all about

Main character comes home from a log day of work, filling up his cup of water to wash away his woes. It's the last of the water in the water tank. MC goes to take a sip and drops his water on his carpet. Cut to black.

waterworld

The one on the left drops.

too easy

Answer to pic depends on the buoyancy of the steel ball apply downward pressure and the weight of ping pong ball applying downward pressure.

the corrupt water industry has taken over, roving street gangs beat up people who don't drink their brand

the evian and dasani tribes are fighting for control of LA, and one man holds the last regular glass of water

Not necessarily.

the gravitational field around the steel ball would cause the water molecules to gain more weight relative to the gravitational field of the ping pong ball. Thus the pressure exerted by the right beaker will cause it to drop while the white lifts.

the downward pressure is a factor but I don't know what you mean by "depends on". There is a definite answer and is solvable by information given.

It's just a gravity thing. The steel ball's gravity isn't actually pushing down on the scale. It displaces the water a little bit, but it doesn't adds to the mass of the water.

Whereas the ping-pong ball DOES add to the mass of the water on the left.

asd

Black and white film where the camera explores what looks like an abandoned house. You hear a man sobbing as the camera roams from room to room. Eventually it enters what was once a child's room. A man sits in front of an empty crip on the floor sobbing loudly while looking a glass of water.

Cut to credits.

it's not about mass, it's about forces.

mass and gravity is the only thing that exerts force

Two men are in an interrogation room with a glass of water between them. It's implied based on clothing that one is likely a cop and the other a suspect. There is a single glass of water between them. The short film starts off about who reaches for the glass first, each decision with radically different circumstances based on using it as a weapon, sitting back and sipping, I don't know, you're the Film Major, figure it out.

photons have no mass but they can exert force

You're correct, my mistake. Had to look it up: since the ping pong ball is floating upwards we know it weighs less than the water, so the scale will tip right.

The scale will type right.

Also God. :^)

The displacement caused by the steel ball will mean the weight is greater on the right than the left. We know this because the ping pong ball is floating upwards, only being tethered by a string. This means it is lighter than the water, whereas the steel ball has to be held up by a string, meaning it is heavier than the water.

Thus, the displacement caused by something that is heavier than the water is greater than the displacement caused by something that is lighter than the water, and so the scale will tip right. Look it up if you must.

Show different shit happening in the room. Shoot light and shit through the glass of water. The glass of water is like a prism for life maaaaan

The water falls, a movie about a small guy building a plane to get away from the big guy in his life.

Ping pong ball is tethered and creating an upward force thus pulling the beaker slightly up. Steel ball and ping pong ball exert same force downward by displacing the same amount of water so displacement is a red herring. Steel ball not tethered to beaker so exerting no extra mass to equation. Ping pong ball beaker rises.

The same argument works in terms of forces.

The force of gravity from the steel ball works on the stand, not on the water (think about this in terms of gasses. An object on a string doesn't exert its gravity on the air below it). So, the mass of the one on the right (and the downward force) is just that of the water.

The force of gravity from the ping pong ball works on the scale. Ignore the upward force on the PING PONG BALL due to bouyancy, and you just have a system (the water and ping pong ball) that has more mass than just the water alone, and therefore more downward force due to gravity. The ping pong ball doesn't float in air, so it being submerged is equivalent to it just adding its mass to the cup on the left.

I love these questions they fuck with my head.

maybe this is more your speed

A virus spreading.

They just make me feel like 2 semesters of physics classes were a waste

The one on the left is heavier by the amount the weight of the string and ping pong ball

A glass of water with a faint lipstick print, sitting on a table with a few empty beer bottles, in a clean but plain apartment. A tired-looking man, wearing a t-shirt and underwear, enters the room. He empties the glass, drinking from the side opposite the lipstick, and leaves it in the kitchen sink.

Okay this one helped me understand it.

So buoyancy is an upward force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. So both the ping pong ball and the steel ball have the same buoyancy acting on them. Except, the buoyancy of the the ping pong ball is actually acting on the string, which is acting on the scale. Whereas, the buoyancy of the steel ball is just an upward force on the steel ball. So the one on the left will rise.

It's been a long time since I did buoyancy stuff. It's strange because you would think that the ping pong ball adds to the force of gravity on the left, but actually the buoyancy is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, which is obviously greater than the pingpong ball's weight (because the ping-pong ball wants to float). It's a volume and density thing. It all makes sense now

The one on the left weighs slightly more because of the weight of the ping pong ball and string.

A guy who is hungover in the morning after night of drinking. Is mouth is dry as fuck and his wife is nagging at him for all the stupid shit he did the night before with flashbacks. But he barely listens and keeps focusing on the glass of water. He's so focused that he hears some parts of what he did wrong, so his wife has to retell it properly (so the scene would rewind and then the correct outcome would happen).

you're over thinking this. The ping pong ball and the ball bearing both displace the same amount of water but the weight of the ball bearing is falling on the scale so for all intents and purposes it's not there.

*ISN'T

Yeah, so the steel ball doesn't change the mass at all and the ping pong ball exerts just an upward force, its buoyancy. So the ping pong ball will rise

wew

>so the steel ball doesn't change the mass at all
it does, it changed the mass by the amount of water it displaces. The ping pong ball displaces the same amount so it's irrelevant though. If the ping pong ball was just sitting on top of the water, not tethered and the steel ball was unchanged then steel ball beaker would still fall

>hanged the mass by the amount of water it displaces
que?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle

Yeah but the right isn't FALLING due to the weight of the steel ball's displacement, the left is RISING due to the buoyancy of the ping pong ball.

If the ping pong ball wasn't tethered (or wasn't there at all) then it would be falling due to the weight of the displaced mass from the steel ball, yes.

The ping pong ball floating doesn't change the overall weight of the beaker, it does however add a tiny amount of weight to the beaker. It's floating because it has less mass than the water, but not no mass.

The steel ball however is only displacing water, and not adding any weight to the beaker on the right. Due to the steel ball being suspended in the beaker, it's mass is irrelevant.

You're an idiot

I'm pretty sure I'm right. Obviously the right one sinks and the left one raises, but I'm pretty sure this is because of the bouyancy of the ping pong ball pulling it up. Both sides have the same force of gravity down from the identical masses of the displaced water. But the one on the left ALSO has the force upward from the buoyancy of the ping pong ball.

This is the narrative I'm accepting.

Man wakes up, rubs his eyes and yawns. Reaches over for a glass of water at his bedside table, realizes it's empty. Dammit. Starts drowsily going downstairs....but the scenery around him is not what it usually is...
Man wakes up, rubs his eyes and yawns. Reaches over for a glass of water at his bedside table, realizes it's empty. Has quick flashback, decides to go back to sleep.

Pls gibe credit if this film goes triple platinum

Turns out I was wrong, the beaker on the right is actually suppoting a fraction of the weight of the steel ball, adding weight to the right.

Missed pic somehow

A glass of water comes home after a hard days work of being drunken by ingrates all day. It sighs as it rolls in to the living room spilling it's liquid contents all over the carpet. The glass of waters girl friend, a sink, gives it a dirty look and begins complaining about how it was their date night that the glass of water is late. The glass of water sighs again and moans, 'im really not in the mood tonight, lets do it tomorrow..'. The sink goes ballistic and starts draining it's soapy contents down the plughole. ' Oh would you give it a rest already!', yellows the glass of water even louder back, ' i don't have to take this shit from you!". The sink starts crying and the glass of water, rolls back out the door, 'i forgot something at work!'. 'Why don't you stay there you asshole!', screams the sink as the glass of water rolls down the apartment hallway. End scene.

Last man on earth, there are dead people in the lakes and shit, no drinkable water, he is thirsty as fuck, sees glass of water through a window, has to get to it, accidentially stangles himself while trying to climb a fence or something.
He dead, camera zooms out to some other source of water.

Guy in a restaurant is trying to get the waiter's attention to get a glass of water and is constantly blocked and frustrated. Finally gets his water and there's a bug in it.

Guy sits in a living room looking afraid everything is colorful but there are scary things around. People with distorted faces gore whatever.
Infront of him is a glass of water and a handful of pills.
He starts taking pill after pill draining and refilling the glass for every pill.
The more pills he takes the less scary the world gets and he gets less afraid but also the color fades. Until he swallows the last pill and everything is black and white and he looks bored and tired and closes his eyes.

The 'weight' of the ping pong ball is pulling the scale up, though, since it is lighter than water

a man is in a desert slowly dehydrating and going crazy
he is deeply convicted that he must stop the glass from emptying at all costs
the glass slowly evaporates
his various attempts to stop the forces stealing his water simply lead to further water loss
at some point he becomes convinced that he's drinking the water and forgetting it
eventually he dies.

it's "art"

it stays balanced you idiots

deep

a 10 min long surrealist horror hat shows the dread of vomiting bile due to binge drinking, the intense thirst that follows and how you keep drinking even though you know you'll puke it up

Initial D

it doesn't though

>Can't you see? The glass was half-empty... AND NOW ITS HALF FULL!!
>user your children need you!

"what is in this glass, water? what is water? a liquid? just a liquid? i beg to differ. water is not an ordinary liquid but life itself in material, fluid form. it contains life and it is contained within life. water gives birth and water takes it away too. what is life, an accident? perhaps, but i beg to differ. i feel life was an intentional invention of water. so what is water, our god? i think. are we children of water? apparently. we were born in water and we will die in water. eventually water will die too. but it will make sure we die peacefully in her bosom before that happens so that we don't have to face the harsh nature of universe. what is water, our protector? i think so. why am i drinking this glass of water? am i thirsty? yes. what am i thirsty for, drinking? no. i am thirsty to know who i am. what lies inside me. and the more i try to know myself, the more i realise, that i am just water."

show the narrator slowly drinking a glass of water for 10 minutes

Lol
This thread!

Bump!

Incorrect, dunce.

So if I fill this with paint, does the path at least spell "fuck you"?

It's settled then - OP should make a film about this experiment and fake its result.

you suck at this game

>putting your hand in boiling water

>being a pussy

The one on the right, because steel is heavier than ping pong.

Faggot.

Assuming the balls have the same volume, each glass contains the same amount of water. The one on the left also has a ping pong ball and a piece of string weighing it down.

so you're saying left will tip down?

Since the ping pong ball is pulling the string up he is also pulling up the scale.

protagonist discovers some water that cant fall over but also cannot be easily drank

then show off it's a camera angle trick and the water was just part of the glass design

then some little girl shows up and drinks it all and the main character breaks the glass after she leaves

>a guy drinks water
>he suddenly remembers how africans don't have lots of water (instead, aids)
>he gets a plane ticket and goes to aforementioned place, he wants to help
>he finds out that the negros are savage-like, of considerably lower intelect and violent trash subhumans
>he understands he must destroy this ancient disgusting race, before it spreads itself all over and pollutes the world
>he goes back to his homeland to inform about the horrors he witnessed
>turns out everyone is secretly nigger
>gets blacked

try doing your own film school homework next time you fag

>this stupid picture derails whole thread for 10 hours

This is actually why it will tip right, right? Because the steel ball on the right adds no force to the water tank, it just displaces the water.

Weighing down the left side of the scale:
X amount of water
A ping pong ball
Some string

Weighing down the right side of the scale:
X amount of water

Weight on the left > Weight on the right

the right side goes down though :^)

If you can't explain how then I will assume you are wrong.

String on ping pong cancels out buoyancy, leaving the water only affected by the mass of the ping pong, whereas the steel balls has the opposite effect of the water, not adding mass but affecting it with its buoyancy, so it will tip to the right if the buoyancy of the steel ball is more than the effect of the mass of the ping pong ball

Thank you, Gyro.

the buoyant force from the ping pong, which is delivered to the system via the attached tether (ie pushing the system downwards), creates less overall gravitational mass compared to the other beaker.

youtube.com/watch?v=7ADBL7_A9qA&t=0s

that guy is awful
>12mins

youtube.com/watch?v=stRPiifxQnM

>creates less overall gravitational mass compared to the other beaker.
How?

Remake this.

youtube.com/watch?v=IwAQ6SbpSn0

wtf that didnt even have a ping pong ball

/thread

right answer
wrong working
6/10
see me after class

I'd say so, yes.

>String on ping pong cancels out buoyancy
The image shows the ping pong ball pulling the string up.
I'd normally say it might depend on the weight of the string, but the image doesn't show the ball just floating but pulling up.

The ping pong ball is only rising relative to the water, it wouldn't pull the scale up.

Watch it:

Never mind, I misunderstood your post.

A collection of people, all asking for a glass of water in a coffee shop and all stuck in different kinds of situations. For example: a girl would spill her glass of water on her boyfriend's head when he confesses he cheated on her or a guy would throws his glass through the shop as he learns he's fired.