/lbg/

Letterboxd thread: post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QOTD: it's the day of the week we all know and love, that's right fellas, it's Friday today

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/
letterboxd.com/KagsMagnus/
letterboxd.com/SwimmingPool/
letterboxd.com/josiahmorgan11/film/trash-humpers/
letterboxd.com/josiahmorgan11/film/late-spring/
letterboxd.com/MrEnormous/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hey nerds

Is there anything better than a DIY punk as fuck movie that is entertaining

How the fuck is this allowed?

Woman in the dunes is not overrated for sure, the kind of film that goes for style over substance, and I don't say this in a good way. Is ok, but just ok, the story is really simple, its a shame because it has beautiful photography and really good ideas, but overall it feel like there is something missing.

how does it compare to the face of another?

Performances are close to irrelevant in this movie because it's all about the pure presence of a Body within an Artificial space;

The face of another has a better concept but is cheesier, Woman in the dunes is simpler and has hypnotic sequences, both films are good and incredible well crafted, most people would say Woman in the dunes is better, I would say is slightly better.

josiah is fucking awful but the film is actually really great

Should I go an watch Nocturnal Animals tonight?

There is also an 'immersive' screening of Krampus promising smoke, sound effects and lights and scares (?), should I go to that instead?

josiah is ok but the film actually sucks

I thought the subplot with the girl and her brother wasn't as interesting as the main plot in face of another, I liked both though.
Dunes was more focused.
But my real favourite by him is onibaba.
I need to see more of his films.

letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/
That rewatch of ossos was worthwhile, still don't think its as strong as o sangue in terms of its cinematography but its much much more depressing, I mean to the point where I couldn't finish it on the first go round, worked up the courage to watch the whole thing, the docufiction style and lack of dialogue really helps the film.

Apparently 4 lions isn't liked on here? I didn't think it was as funny as some people thought it was nor was it as offensive, I was amused by it though but kind of felt bad a bit for laughing.

I was skeptical about miracle in milan because I'm used to De Sica's films not having humour in them but it was funny and I liked the magical realism later on.

Intentions of murder is my favourite shohei film so far, really grim and I liked its take on human nature.
Although I prefer Suzuki and Teshighara when it comes to Jap new wave directors.

Felt more emotionally involved in A single man but nocturnal animals is worth seeing for Gylennhall and Aaron Tylor's performances and the visual style alone aswell as the story within the story.

>onibaba
>teshigara
delete this post right now embryo

So much of my relationship with cinema is predicated on finding a sincere emotional resonance and rhythm with actors and characters-- I'm wondering how it's possible to engage with a film beyond a robotic sort of "aesthetic appreciation" when you see actors (performances, specifically) as irrelevant because it's about "the pure presence of a body within an artificial space." I'm not jackie but actors are not cattle, or even worse set decorations to be herded around the screen

Damn, my mistake that was shindo...
Who is actually quite a good director, I'd also recommend kuroneko.

Why do a lot of users spout Sup Forums lingo in their reviews or bios but they've never posted in here?

Is it possible to truly appreciate and understand film without ever having experienced love?

when so much of cinema (particularly art house cinema) revolves around human relationships and intimacy and desire, how can you really claim to understand it when you have no frame of reference or experience yourself?

memes are real life now

redditors like link_gorro

is this josiah again?

bad example since he posted his profile here

Is it possible to truly appreciate and understand film without even having faith?
when so much of cinema (particularly art house cinema) revolves around spirituality and existence and abstract thought, how can you really claim to understand it when you have no frame of reference or experience yourself?

no it's me. I'm offering a rebuttal to Josiah's particular lens of criticism

How different is the Argento cut of Dawn of the Dead? Is it better or worse?

Argento sucks ass

Every film would be improved if they didn't have """""""""""""""actors""""""""""""""

in your opinion

Stop being gay, Ronald

Worse, but worth watching. The Goblin score is dope.

Thank you.

No

hmm ok. The new 4K restoration (by our good friend NWR) which is online is only the Argento cut but sounds like the original is probably worth watching for first viewing. Now to work out theatrical or extended

>'thank you'
>no

that's right bitch

Just watch both. Your time is not valuable or you wouldn't be here.

Damn, Ronald is WILD today!

I will, I was just wondering which to watch first and if it's worth waiting for a better version of the original

letterboxd.com/KagsMagnus/

ILMDF

I usually watch the shorter version(s) first. Easier to see the difference when you watch the longer one after.

But that's just my opinion.

Someone should be reported for the proper authorities for being RUDE

my best friend

t. embryo

are you rating movies below 4 again?

I wanna fuck Marion Coltard
Aroo

I like most of these directors. Does that mean I should follow you? And not get followed back.

psot profile

>Nastassja Kisnki is 55 now

letterboxd.com/SwimmingPool/

I want to fuck 23 yo Alain Delon =P

Haha, I know better than that.

i will follo u bb

I want to fuck 23 yo Alain Delon =P

What did /lbg/ think?

Take your fairy tales out of here
I'm smarter than you btw

Definitely watch the original version first, Argento's cut removes most of Romero's satire which is pretty vital to the film. Theatrical and extended are both good, the difference is pretty negligible iirc.

Nuh uh I'm more intelligent than you all
Go kill a gay person and rape a Muslim you bigot.

>Le story is most important meme
Old school way of thinking Gramps gets with the post-postmodern times already

>dude's name is swimmingpool
>next post is about people wanting to fuck alain delon
>p o e t r y

What are you watching this weekend?

/dropout_bear

>Gone With The Wind
>4.5

Yikes

damn...........

is he really like 14 yo?

Kill yourself tb.h

respect the dropout_bear punk

>Go kill a gay person and rape a Muslim you bigot.
Muslims already do that themselves

>mention mudslime
>dropout_cuck comes running
Does he like sand negresses because it's easier for him to imagine a sand nigger pounding her?

What do Ford cultists think of Wee Willie Winkie?

*farts in your face*

what you gonna do kiddo?

This is one of my favorite movies, you can't say that

I'm sorry nobody has kindled an appreciation for gorgeous Persian women in your soul yet

Dropout_cuck

no

They probably overrate it like crazy, as that seems to be the rule in the ford club, overrating mediocre and okay films just because the director made great cinema elsewhere.
And with JF this is even worse considering how much he worked.

Well, thanks for telling me what you think they might think.

what mediocre and okay films do #FordFanatics overrate?

>If you have ever been drunk and felt a bit deformed and lost yourself in the streets past midnight, occasionally stumbling past highways and waking up an elderly woman or a disabled man, passing delivery trucks in rare instances, walking so far from your house that you don't know how you'll ever get back, then you can probably vibe to Trash Humpers. I don't recommend this to the uptight, to the urban kids, to those with hopes and dreams and futures and lives, this is filmmaking for anyone who knows what its like to run around in sub-zero temperature with no clothes on because you have nothing better to do. None of this excuses Korine's selfish filmmaking, and the fact that it's awful, whiny, needless, entirely ugly. At least it's interesting.

letterboxd.com/josiahmorgan11/film/trash-humpers/

That was your question

Wasted quads on the delusions of hipster knowledge of this huge fucking faggot

And thanks for your informed answer!

Not him actually, just said that was what you asked. I don't know why you're upset.

yikes

we are so far trapped inside ourselves that interpersonal connections are fleeting and the greatest gifts we can be given, every action we witness but do not experience is an inherent form of censorship and an instigation of further longing for:

1) I have been feeling really existentially unsettled for a few weeks now but especially tonight and Shyamalan always makes me feel better;

2) His lack of talent doesn't even matter because M. Night takes full advantage of his stilted and uncomfortable performance by grafting the direction of the rest of the cast around this ineptitude;
3) Performances are close to irrelevant in this movie because it's all about the pure presence of a Body within an Artificial space;

4) I've been totally bowled over by this movie for the first time after hating it like everyone else for a bit: not sure I've seen another film which builds such a real-feeling family and then proceeds to let that family act as a positive force with and for each other in the face of any and all manifestations around them (on which note this is the best Ender's Game adaptation we'll ever get);

5) I love that this film posits that fear is the central human emotion, that when we are devoid of it we are literally 'ghosting' (fake) (representations) (of who we (could(n't?)) be);

6) I could be totally misreading this movie because my brain is all over the fucking place but it feels like a movie about how our surroundings and those we are surrounded by alter our instincts until we are no longer ourselves which leads me to consider;

7) That our minds are not our own and are controlled by the media which saturates our thoughts, which leads me to consider that;

8) If my mind/our minds are liberated by films like these, are we truly free because we have still relied on being trapped by this media in the first place, sat in front of this 'liberating' image for two hours? Meaning that my final thoughts are this;

I find I learn new things not only about myself (though this is certainly applicable) but also others and primarily about film - the medium - and stories - their timelessness - and writing - in all its complexities - as well.

I am always open to talk about existential anxieties but I find it so hard to pinpoint distortions within my own mind as - though I do not want to sound melodramatic - I am almost constantly paranoid, frustrated, upset, angered, but these feelings so constantly shift and redirect toward alternate things that I can never pinpoint the roots. I think I am mostly concerned about the state of humanity not necessarily within a Trump presidency but within a changing climate (boring ik) and also an encroaching anxiety about living within an entirely un - conscious society with so many un - conscious people, which is not a fault of theirs but mine for being unable to accommodate where I am currently at. If there is one thing The Movies have taught me it is that I am always open for any instance of human connection and your comments are always welcome (for they are always insightful) even if I disagree, even if they frustrate me more. I am constantly concerned about where I'm at and where I'm going but everything to date has ultimately turned out fine so maybe thats where my focus should be directed instead. Freedom is the ultimate form of entrapment because as soon as one is "free" by the definitions of Authorities, that One has a true responsibility to function in an open and constantly shifting capacity.

The moment that hit me hardest in this film for me - on this go - is when Jaden runs from some creatures and has to repeatedly be told;
>"You are running from nothing."

test

A study of permanence and impermanence and the ways we internalize our emotions until they explode into a physically affecting form, an abstraction of narrative that Snyder pushes so hard it loops into and under itself, there are snapshots of other films - images people have labelled unnecessary - but this is not so much misplaced exposition as it is a myriad of secondary narratives superseding our core one - that's why the titular fight takes over an hour to get going. We know these stories - by now the death of the Wayne family's parents is a household story, a cozy narrative with a moral to tuck your kids into bed with at night. Snyder tears these morals apart, he rebuilds a mythology from the ground up and Cavill is the face he puts to this.

The most ridiculous thing about any superhero mythology is that Clark Kent expects not to be recognized as the Superman solely because he takes off his glasses; Snyder messes with this: Affleck's (incredible) Batman has a constantly hidden face; a sociopath rejected by society to counterbalance Cavill's open, freely-displayed God amongst men.

letterboxd.com/josiahmorgan11/film/late-spring/

NEVER FORGET

this is a post-modern reflexive view

of an entire genre,

a scathing satire

no laughs.

any constructed idea of the 'supervillain'

destroyed

letterboxd.com/MrEnormous/

Thinking of watching some new Ozu tonight. Between "Tokyo Twilight", "An Autumn Afternoon", and "Late Autumn", which should I watch?

Ozu's failure as an artist is a reflection of the Japanese people as a collective lacking empathy and conception of the numinous. His films lack 'that spark of emotive connection' because his people lack the internal awareness and emotional volatility that permit European art to communicate on a more profound and abstract level, just as they lack the ability to relativise their experience of reality. The results – as women are incapable of making art about anything other than their vaginas, so too are the Japs incapable of making art about anything other than being Japs.

nobody wants to speak out,

nobody wants to share thoughts

everyone knows what's going on

This is the way the world ends,

God vs. Mortal -

indeed the media acts as a literal narrative obstruction...

there's no way to understand

those around us

if our own voice is in the way,

if we can't hear

what they're trying to say.

Too many people

trying to

communicate

all at once,

until

all of a sudden

a total blackout

with cosmic consequence.

Tokyo Twilight

Most interesting is the idea of family - brother/sister, parent/child...

somewhere in here, Martha Kent brings up a point about 'coming of age' -

this is the comment which hit me hardest.

Superhero movies have traditionally been mythological retellings of pathways to adulthood, coming of age films - Man Of Steel skipped the growing up part, instead tracking Kent from his adulthood, on his pathway to fame as a God,

which is why it is so miraculously important that we are introduced to Wayne as a PTSD-riddled older man without a past: these people never had the chance to grow up, because they never had the chance to be young.

But none of this is what I want to talk about. I want to talk about the fact that the DC Cinematic Universe may very well be the one time, now - or ever - that an auteur is given a massive budget and free reign to do as he pleases. This is Snyder messing with form and genre on a fundamental scale, a film about the cycle of destruction breeding destruction, hate breeding hate, fire is only ever fought with fire and nothing gets in the way of human intimacy. Because ultimately, it's our connections - those we love, and those we hate - that forge the paths of our lives.

Let's not begin loving this in fifty years when the criticism no longer matters. Let's start appreciating this now, while it still means something.

Primal.

Mann's immaculate focus..

a world where this is the story

Never stopped being right

We are.

call me a pleb all you like but, An Autumn Afternoon is the only Ozu I've liked so far and I've seen a fair few of them at this point.

Seeing everything.

At Once.

Oh my god i started this and the opening credits happened and I just randomly started crying idk