/daily/ our boy has found a silly hat edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Other urls found in this thread:

tabsout.com/?p=16684
rateyourmusic.com/list/_natkingcole_/ranking-2017/
rateyourmusic.com/collection/FlyingIceWizard/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/caduceus_f1/middle_ages/
youtube.com/watch?v=3zhonFtBBfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=xmXXuTBcrbo
rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/top-albums-of-2017/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/josiah-steinbrick/meeting-of-waters/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/janek-schaefer/alone-at-last/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lr/the_fragility_of_happiness/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/seht/hrry/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/guenter_schlienz/tape_studies/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert-millis/relief-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=4rGJI3b8SiY
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pascal-comelade/slow-music/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pascal-comelade/irregular-organs/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/corina_corrina/corina2_tour_82/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert_ashley/private_parts/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/george-russell/electronic-sonata-for-souls-loved-by-nature-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/steffen_basho_junghans/in_the_morning_twilight/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert_lester_folsom/ode_to_a_rainy_day__archives_1972_1975/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/goldenrod/goldenrod/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/algarnas_tradgard/framtiden_ar_ett_svavande_skepp__forankrat_i_forntiden/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/deuter/d/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fifty-foot-hose/cauldron/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ensemble-of-unique-instruments-danlee-mitchell/delusion-of-the-fury/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/earthless/rhythms_from_a_cosmic_sky/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/beyond_the_calico_wall/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mighty_baby/mighty_baby/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/itoh-masyitoh-rineka-swara/naon-margina/
clyp.it/kzopajl0
rateyourmusic.com/list/Accelerando_/2017-select-selects/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lmao imagine beign first in a /daily/ thread but also imagine being TRIP up and then thats when the grears start to turn for real...

have you thanked this goddess yet today?

last thread dummy

Fav releases of 2017, lads?

Steroids is still a strong number 1 for me

I just discovered this list tho
>tabsout.com/?p=16684
so now I've got a lot more to work through

""no""

haha yeah

honestly kinda snoozy year. and i probably overrated my #1 as it is

woof

agreed, not even multiple 4s this year

best year of the 2010s still 2011, 12, or 15

still have yet to listen to anything by james ferraro

2016 was a much better year desu

best and worst of the chart so far incoming

>Cat Power - Moon Pix
It's a slowcore album with a singer with a pretty voice and the occasional Songs: Ohia-slightly-alt-country-guitar-type vibe and that's why I like it. Simple as that. Check out "Cross Bones Style" (heavy alt-country vibes here and I can dig it) and "Moonshiner" (a Dylan cover but Dylan's version sucks in comparison). 3.5+

>Akiko Kiyama - Ophelia
The first disappointment was the fact that, in spite of its genre tags on RYM suggesting otherwise, there's awfully little on here that could pass for "minimal techno." It closer resembles electroacoustic music occasionally backed by a beat, and not particularly great electroacoustic music at that. The second disappointment was the fact that, insofar this album has good ideas, they're almost never developed very well. The tracks that are over 6 minutes just meander on and on without making serious progress, and I would have been fine with this if this were an actual techno album or an ambient album or something, where lack of song development can be forgiven if the sound is good and you can chill to it, but this album doesn't evoke many feelings beyond mild irritation. This is the kind of album that makes me question what the artist was trying to achieve. It doesn't flow well, the tracks drag on for too long, it doesn't feel stylistically coherent, and the general appeal of a techno-ish album that is too frustrating to work as a techno album while being too uneventful and straightforward to work as an experimental album is lost on me. 1.5-

Barlow - Fell Asleep
[2013]

I'm a big fan of the three longest tracks on here (In The Air, Saint Walker, Laundromat) which are crunchy lofi noise pop done well. The other pieces either feel minor in scope or didn't give me much of an impression - not saying the're bad though, just that this could've been better if it was more compact and concentrated. The production and mixing make this very comfy and something you might wanna play while wearing your pyjamas and having a cup of tea.

6+

hmm

nah, 2015 was tho

>gucci gang
hmm indeed

positively hmm?

rateyourmusic.com/list/_natkingcole_/ranking-2017/

tfcf shocked me, that album is dope

good moon pix onion, great album

Prob Omni's Multi-task, I've been shit at keeping up with releases this year though

that Bill Orcutt is also a contender, need to check out Here Lies Man

Okay lets start this chart

>Pharaoh Sanders - Karma
This album feels holy. From the playing to the lyrics to the atmosphere. It all comes together to make a fantastic feeling that I love.
8/10
>Lil Ugly Mane - Uneven Compromise
This is the good shit. Amazing flow, fantastic lyrics, great experimentation in the genre, switching to around between so many different ideas in such a short time yet still making it all work. Fantastic stuff.
8/10
>Fishmans - Long Season
When I first listened to this album, I cried. I had never heard anything like it, from the bass to the drums to Sato's voice. Everything clicked for me. Upon my third listen, I still found it a magical and beautiful album, but it does not bring about the same emotions as my first listen. Still this is an amazing piece of music but lost some affection towards it.
9/10
>Pink moon
One of the most personal albums I have ever heard. Fantastic lyrics, fantastic instrumentation, fantastic atmosphere, amazing music to cry to.
8/10
>Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free for All
Art Blakey is a god damn master at the drums. Everyone else is amazing as well and the songs and solos are fantastic, every solo Hubbard had floored me. Fantastic stuff.
8/10
>Comus - First Utterance
These vocals are transcendental, and the violin, and everything on here. The atmosphere is thick, its music for doing dark rituals in the woods. Amazing stuff. Also the freak out moment Drip Drip is perfect, that may be one of my favorite music moments ever.
9/10
>Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Wow this is fantastic. The lyrics are great, the instrumentation is amazing, some of the funkiest stuff I have ever heard. Fantastic stuff.
8/10

>SECTEURFLECHE - Une active indetermination
>Sound collage, Experimental French Hip Hop
Perplexing. Nice synth choices. French always sounds unlike any other language in music.

>Reines d'Angelterre - Les Comores
>Industrial
This has more french singing than to be expected for an industrial release. This isn't pounding, heavy music-- just listen to the usage of a baby toy and the male coos in track 3.

>John Hudak - On and On
>Minimalism, Ambient
Bird chirping -> Guitar Picking -> MIDI Notes -> 70 minute mimalist track
The tone used itself is nice, but I wouldn't listen to this as a whole.

>Mike Tamburo - Dance Enis Dance
>American primitivism, ambient
Remember that Peter Silbermann release, where it was even more sentimental because Silbermann was going deaf, which was why the music was so quiet?

This might be the purer, distilled form of that. A huge poem sits on the bottom of the bandcamp page, possibly meant to be read at the same time. Guitar, dulcimer, ebow, and tibetanbowls are played by one Tamburo in a miniature journey.

>The Magic I.D. - Till My Breath Gives Out
>Post Rock, Chamber Jazz, Experimental Rock
Lots of clarinet, mild glitch, a middle-aged female vocalist. Unfortunately short.

>Lee Patterson - Seven Vignettes
>Drone, Noise
It's alright? This is mostly just simple tuneless ambience with mild experimentation. The last track is the most enjoyable.

5+

>When I first listened to this album, I cried.
when i first listened to it i thought "are those poop splashes"

>>Fishmans - Long Season
>When I first listened to this album, I cried.

>Karma an ate
>crying to long sneezin'

rateyourmusic.com/collection/FlyingIceWizard/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017

>when the best release of the year was a re-recording of a song from 2011

agreed

Is opera the most underrated genre in the whole of music? I certainly think so. I've been listening to Spotify's top 100 Opera picks and it's pretty amazing.

Take me away boys, take me to the bad taste jail.

ikr karma is a 9 at least

if you liked Nick Drake Pink Moon, you would love his 2nd studio album "Bryter Layter", released in 1971 just a year before Pink Moon.

this is the most upbeat dungeon synth album i've ever heard
bordering New Age at some points, i think rod may like this

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/caduceus_f1/middle_ages/

youtube.com/watch?v=3zhonFtBBfQ

holy fuck

ok, my first tourney is done. I should think of a prize before posting the result.

really? i skimmed through the track and wasn't a big fan. still love the original beach life-in-death

usually it's a kiss on the cheek and or a drone

done with final exams feelgudman

update

that russian stuff was terrible. super boring. not actively repellant like the slits, but it was a chore to listen to.

bum tickley was good but the style isn't my speed. maybe in the distant future i'll have more of an appreciation for it.

max tundra was not awful, but not really good. I was never really offended but not really pleased, and then it took a while to end.

the music tapes were excellent. reminds me of musical miracle/tally hall, which was surprising from an elephant 6 affiliate.

steve gunn was really pleasing, i've been wanting to hear music like this for a while, but it meandered a lot.

>that double ferraro 8
nice. this has been a good year for him. his weird post-vocaloid opera thing is finally starting to not be as much of a novelty.

Lmao no
Go to any big city and visit an actual opera, it will be sold out if it doesn’t suck.
It’s just that listening to opera is only giving you at best half of the experience and is just generally a bad idea.

had a feeling you'd like tapes, though i only found it through montie's review lmpo

If I finished this would that be cool or what?

can i have the origin of the OP pic?

noisegrind chart

youtube.com/watch?v=xmXXuTBcrbo

sure do it

I believe in you Nyar!

i've already heard this stuff, this is for anyone else. fish wanted to see one

merci beaucoup user!

rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/top-albums-of-2017/

I’ve loved this year in music but I also give out 4s way more than most of /daily/. So keep that in mind

well i'm not user but no problem my guy
always happy to help

Yeah, it's not nearly as good. I consider the original track to be a perfect 10.

Has anyone seen Dogwander around? I had some questions to him so please respawn

me as well
haven't but i sure love moon safari

>Ride - Coming Up for Air
I have to admit I didn't remember a thing from this band's music after the first time I listened to them a few years back, thus why I never tried to come back to their music. Either way, I'm sure if "Nowhere" would have sounded anything like the Soundchecks on this album the story would be different. After those 6 minutes I got hyped for "Performance", a 30 minute jam fueled by psychedelia. While the flow on this improvised piece is terrific I think it always stays on surface level, every so often is like something is building but it just never comes to a conclusion and it becomes monotonous, a lot for just having some memorable moments here and there. At the end of the day I think any respectable psych band should be able to jam like this.
5-

>Ceramic TL + Ipek Gorgun - Perfect Lung
This album is all over the place, from the noise parts to the watery synth work and percussion (which reminds me a lot of James Ferraro) you're getting an extense sample of textures, either by heavy repetition or by droning. On the other hand I think this plays against the album, being the only donwside that with such a huge list of elements you'd expect them to last or appear a little more.

welp that's it, thanks to everyone that participated in this thing.
congrats EthyBoy, feel free to drop me some recs (between 10-20?) either here or on rym (~huit) to start droning you

aw man! Knew I should have reccd that Necks album!

Nice! Working on a list of 10 things you’ll like

Been letting these pile up a bit.

>Seefeel - Quique
Honestly my favorite track is the ambient closer. The mix of shoegaze and electronics is very nice, but here I don't feel like the techno beat adds very much.

>Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
Pleasant to the point of blandness. The non-funk instrumental tracks in particular feel very listless and lethargic. I can see why people think it has a lot of filler. I still like it though.

>Del tha Funkee Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
I like the warm, funky production and Del's lyricism and storytelling. The slice of life kind of songs like Sleepin' On My Couch and The Wacky World of Rapid Transit are probably my favorites. Unfortunately, the early 90's flow sounds very stiff and dated by modern standards, and brings the whole album down.

>Oliver - Standing Stone
Just put my Oar review here. The only difference is that a lot of the folk has been replaced by psych rock and some blues. For a private press it's not bad, just not to my interest.

>Bowery Electric - Beat
I feel like they tried to do too much at once here. The trip-hop, shoegaze, post-rock, and ambient tend to not mesh very well together (ex: the hard, metallic trip-hop drums don't sound right when used on the normal shoegaze tracks). The individual songs are quite nice, but as a whole it's still a bit lacking.

>Yellow Swan - Drowner
Very noisy ambient that sometimes borders on straight noise, though there's also some post-rock elements that are more predominant. The wordless vocals buried deep in the mix really enhance the feeling of longing and isolation. Additionally there are some well-curated vocal field recordings, though they don't really add as much. This is probably my limit when it comes to noise, but it's a good limit.

Seriously guys give me ambient or piano recs, I can only listen to Colette Roper so many times

Celer - The Girl At The Gas Station
Fires Were Shot - Solace
William Basinski - Melancholia
36 - Blue Tape Series
Benn Jordan - Pale Blue Dot
Echo Lane Afterschool Rec. Dept. - Greenvale Sodapop & Clinic
ironomi - Recode

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/josiah-steinbrick/meeting-of-waters/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/janek-schaefer/alone-at-last/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lr/the_fragility_of_happiness/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/seht/hrry/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/guenter_schlienz/tape_studies/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert-millis/relief-1/

youtube.com/watch?v=4rGJI3b8SiY

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pascal-comelade/slow-music/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pascal-comelade/irregular-organs/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/corina_corrina/corina2_tour_82/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert_ashley/private_parts/

Hello, I have listened to another 19 albums by James Ferraro and is associated aliases. This carries us through his 2008 output in which his music is less noisy and the individual components are salient but both familiar and alien. This is the part of the discography that makes me wonder how he could release all of this so quickly.

wb

what happend 2 bleep

Thanks. I took some time off but now I'm back and ready to finish this off.

James Ferraro - Virtual Erase (2008)
>I think the length of this one detracts from its enjoyment but the pieces of his later work are starting to take form. I'm beginning to recognize some of the timbres and patterns, but they are so muddled here in the mix. It's like his later works spawned out of this primordial soup. 6/10

The Skaters Mountaineer Skyness of Majestic Planes (2008)
>The last skaters release. I've grown to find these sounds spooky and rather comforting. Nothing outside their typical repertoire, but this one feels a little more tonal. The final two tracks are particularly pleasant. 6/10

90210 - 90210 (2008)
>Very interesting. Sam Meringue is a contributor on this album and offers much more structured melodies. In fact this album plays out as a lofi jam session whereas the previous works of Ferraro feel less rhythmic and more disorganized. A nice change of pace. 7/10

James Ferraro - Last American Hero / Adrenaline's End (2008)
>This one is another popular Ferraro release which I guess is supposed to serve as a stark portrayal of midwest boredom in a society overrun by department stores. It certainly begins with a different sonic pallate but then progresses into a typical Ferraro soundscape. I'm not giving this as much credit as others would but certainly check this out for the distinct sound. 6/10

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/george-russell/electronic-sonata-for-souls-loved-by-nature-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/steffen_basho_junghans/in_the_morning_twilight/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert_lester_folsom/ode_to_a_rainy_day__archives_1972_1975/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/goldenrod/goldenrod/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/algarnas_tradgard/framtiden_ar_ett_svavande_skepp__forankrat_i_forntiden/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/deuter/d/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fifty-foot-hose/cauldron/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ensemble-of-unique-instruments-danlee-mitchell/delusion-of-the-fury/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/earthless/rhythms_from_a_cosmic_sky/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/beyond_the_calico_wall/

Ok. Some pretty safe bets IMO, but unsure if you’ll like last one because it’s extremely out-there. Still 5 stars.

Blue Oyster Cult - Bad Channels (2008)
>Somehow on RYM the DMT feature on this album is associated to James Ferraro's D.M.T., which I sincerely doubt. I'm not rating this. -/10

D.M.T. - D.M.T. (2008)
>Have I heard segments of this before in the previous releases? Definitely. Tracks 1 and 3 are very familiar while track 4 is a remix of track 2 from blue surf. There also seems to be a Spencer Clark (solo spencer) influence especially in the second track. 5/10

Edward Flex - Edward Flex Presents: Maui Black Out / Liquid Bikini Summer (2008)
>Now this is truly a toxic waste dump. The tracks here are very short and include frequent samples of vocal grunts. Some of the guitar licks are really great. I am viewing these years of his discography as a march to iAsia, and I think this brings us one step closer. Less like Maui and more like Venice beach in my opinion. 6/10

Excel - Excel (2008)
>I was kind of surprised by this one. The first half contains some melodic ambient drones and then disperses into a more creepy tone of ambient complete with bell sounds and vocal utterances. It really did feel as though there were contributions unique to the ones I have been hearing from James thus far. 7/10

K2 - Encino Man (2008)
>It's hard for me to understand where this release is coming from. Seems more sparse than some of his other releases, but to be honest this really didn't stick with me. 5/10

K2 - Dianetic Biodome (2008)
>This is a good one. High pitched resonances at the beginning and a more electronic vibe than his previous works. The last track of the album is fantastic as well. 7/10

K2 - Silicon Oasis (2008)
>Fantastic. The first two tracks alternate between understated ambient bits and loud bursts of melodic lofi noise that really agree with the aesthetic being presented. I assume that this album must have taken some inspiration from the Dubai Silicon Oasis, but James might also be from another dimension. 8/10

Liquid Metal - Alternative Soundtrack to "Digital Overdrive" (2008)
>Not as connected with this one, although there are some decent parts. Heavy on the guitar licks and some sections remind me of sounds of the Jarvid 9 series. Like Lamborghini Crystal without the fun. 6/10

Monopoly Child Star Searchers / Angel Snake - No Jaw Nite Rights / Snakinish Sand Form (2008)
>Nice to revisit Spencer Clark in a different format. Spencer has taken a softer and more airy/exotic approach to his drones while Ferraro dips into his usual oddball textures and structures. I feel like I would rate this higher if I was more familiar with Clark's other works. 6/10

Way of the Cross - Mind of the Dolphin (2008)
>Intriguing array of freak folk. That dude who is constantly emitting jibberish from his face hole should probably relax, is that Ferraro? 6/10

James Ferraro - Heaven's Gate (2008)
>Like Clear but an hour long and very static. However the length really gave me the chance to get lost in the drone. It's amazing how the low fidelity of the recording allows such a melodic drone to be simultaneously abrasive. Also I have researched a bit about Heaven's Gate before this and it makes this release a bit morbid, although the presentation of this album does not lend itself to such serious themes. 7/10

James Ferraro - Edward Flex Presents: Do You Believe in Hawaii? (2008)
>Someone on the YouTube comments asked "did James set a zoo on fire?" Vibrant animal squeals mixed with meditative synth lines and endless guitar solos. Also some creepy didstorted voice yelling at me. 7/10

James Ferraro - Genie Head Gas in the Tower of Dreams "Jesters Midnight Toys" (2008)
>I think I kind of see where this one is going, but then again James is a master at presenting an aesthetic both familiar and alien. Did not connect with this one musically however. 5/10

James Ferraro - KFC City 3099: Pt. 1 Toxic Spill (2009)
>A dump of percussion and strange vocal skits with lots of guns and fighting. Some nice synth bits in the beginning but those are phased out by the end and you're left with almost entirely a percussion driven record. This is one of Ferraro's highest rated works of this era; I can't help but think people are attributing their ratings to the title. 6/10

James Ferraro - Star Digital Theatre: Movies For P.T. Cruisers (2009)
>Some urgent synth passages thrown into the mix here. We're getting closer to a Jarvid type composition but the aesthetic is still very unfocoused. 5/10

James Ferraro - Citrac (2009)
>James brings in a much more industrial sound to this record. Creepy phone calls, clanging pipes, ghostly vibes. An unsettling release that changes up the formula a bit on his usual jams of this era. 6/10

This is what I have so far. The next batch will take us through James' 2009 output which features some of my favorites including iAsia, Rerex, and Jarvid. At the end of this I expect to be able to give you a definitive top 10 for his discography, and I expect a few positions on that list to be occupied by these next few releases.

that was fast, thank you.
actually, could you change the first two (russell and basho-junghans)? I'm familiar with those already

>Sissy Spacek
>Insect Warfare
hell yeaaaah

*note: Last American Hero is solid, but it's only popular because the owner of the label Olde English Spelling Bee is known for harassing review sites and musicians to give him press coverage.

i wrote up an essay on why i love kfc city that i'll be making into a video at some point. it's possibly his most conceptually realized work of everything he's done, which is saying a lot.

iAsia is so top.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mighty_baby/mighty_baby/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/itoh-masyitoh-rineka-swara/naon-margina/

Yaeji - Yaeji EP (2017)
>ambient house, deep house

Decent house weighed down by some poorly conceived attempts at pop. The house itself isn't really anything special, it's your standard fuzzy, lo-fi house release, but Yaeji captures an eerie, dusty sound and vibe so perfectly. The pop is derivative and it isn't even done well, the vocals grate and the barebones nature of the EP rears its ugly head a bit too much.

2.0+

Vagabon - Infinite Worlds (2017)
>indie rock, singer/songwriter

It's an indie rock album, that's for sure. Starts decently enough, the lead singer has the kind of passionate, yearning voice that Frances Quinlan from Hop Along has (seriously, my god, they sound exactly the same) and she's about the only thing that carries this bore of an album. "Mal à l'aise" is one of the most mind-numbingly monotonous tracks of the year, and the non-interlude tracks aren't exactly very quality to begin with.

0.5+

Boi. I did it. I finished IJ.

I'm going to have to start it all over. But man that finale made me visibly cringe in the bus, that was some gruesome imagery.

It's interesting that you bring up OESB because I think there's a certain context that I am missing while listening to these releases, and it's a context that will soon be forgotten if not already forgotten. I wonder too if you could briefly elaborate on your thoughts on kfc city

one of these days I'm gonna sit down and actually work on a flashcore track, actually sequence things instead of just automating patches to generate effects for me
clyp.it/kzopajl0
I lost the project file for this :(

anyway, someone recommend some abrasive electronic music, preferably in the vein of breakcore

exam in an hour, wish me luck lads

good luck boyo

Good luck boss

Good luck. You'll need it dumbass lmao.

kill it my dude

I actually dug pretty deep into this year and found two albums that I absolutely loved. (Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die, and Circuit des Yeux - Reaching for Indigo)

Lingua Ignota is incomparable to the rest of the releases this year. I haven't heard something so simultaneously intense and beautiful ever before. Everybody should check out, it's very good and currently my album of the decade so far.

Circuit des Yeux's "Reaching for Indigo" is a serious work of art, too. Vocals are wonderful, tons of different textures and ideas. It was really impressive on so many fronts. Not quite the brutish heaven and hell of emotion that All Bitches Die was, but it was still quite incredible.

Residente was really interesting from its inception. I won't say the guy is my favorite producer, but this album scores points just for how interesting and diverse it is.

Tyler, Red Velvet and Hellripper were just top-notch for their genre and really enjoyable.

death's dynamic shroud was a bit of surprise. The creative production style really caught me. It is the most likely to go down out of the bunch, though.

2017 was a very good year, imo. Best in a while.

ops meant to reply

oops ALSO meant to reply wew keepin' that thread alive.

yo, what's everyone doing?

dusting off my ipod, hope the battery works like it used to. feels good :)

briefly, it's one of the scariest things i've ever heard. it achieves the image of dystopia via means of overproduction through the lens of 80's z-movies, a very literal translation of the concept of overproduction. the lack of visuals to accompany the spoken word segments takes any and all comedy out of them, and their constant, unforgiving nature portrays a world in a primordial state that, due to the titling of the album, seems to be unending.
james uses no samples on any of his releases that he doesn't record himself btw. most early albums of his were intense experiments with loop pedals above all else. james likely designed most of the imagery around what he heard, so there's likely going to be some disconnect between the music and the context at point.
since i don't feel like reading a dictionary atm, would peeping the ending ruin the rest of the book or no?
gl
Ana Jikia - Sm9POW`L*.:。 *゚‘゚
2017 was boring imo
listening to o'rourke. avoiding responsibilities.

choof it's Arkuski hope you're doing well. I have an album coming out of 53 tracks each less than 15 seconds I'll hit you up when it gets released. how has ffr been

i find that fascinating that james used no samples. do you know him personally?

Here comes another review dump, lemme know if you got questions and such.

[1/3?]

Basil Kirchin - Particles (2007)
>Avant-Garde Jazz… Glitch?

The concept for this one is absolutely fascinating. In the midst of a serious cancer diagnosis, Kirchin pieced much of this album together with vocal samples of conversations he had with friends in Caretaker-esque fashion. He added in some jazz flavor with the help of viola, flute, trumpet, etc and the result is a glitchy, sparse piece of free jazz. Instruments wanders around aimlessly at times but the emptiness of most of the tracks is absolutely nuts and at times they merely contribute little honks or chimes. When the band gets in a groove, it’s actually quite catchy though. It has a nice puttering trumpet and reedy sax that I’m pretty much always down for in this style. The closer, “E+Me” is magnificent even though it’s a completely different style as the rest of the album. Based on the melody Kirchin’s wife used to sing to autistic children she taught. So as you’d imagine, it’s very mellow, modal and cozy.

All in all, a terrific album!

4.5/5

Isis - Oceanic (2002)
>Atmospheric Sludge

As I’ve come to expect from Isis, the band does an awesome job switching between heavenly, almost post-rock passages and moments of heaviness more typical in metal. It’s a blend I wouldn’t have thought would be too successful but Isis pulls it off and manages to keep mixing it up without throwing me off. Lots of gorgeous moments with a hint of intensity… definitely more along the lines of what I dig in metal.

The Fall - Perverted By Language (1983)
>Post-Punk

Mark E Smith, for all his brilliant sardonic lyrics and awesome jagged guitar riffs - has proven to me that he’s not perfect. This album has moments that really shine through, like “Eat Y’Self Fitter” and “Garden” but it’s honestly just not as good as other Fall albums.

[2/3]

Nothing else stands out, with a few songs going in one ear and out the next. There’s nothing inherently wrong with this album - it’s strong through and through - it just isn’t something I’d love to come back to. I’ll stick with other Fall albums instead.

Benjamin Clementine - I Tell A Fly (2017)
>Art Pop

Definitely one of the biggest surprises for the year, especially considering the genre tags. I’m not much of a pop fan in general but Clementine manages to bring a lot to the table. It’s a bit of a mish-mash of styles, with a strong leaning towards jazz and electronic influences. Clementine manages to make some fairly complex songs without making them feel awkward or cluttered. In all reality, the album is a fucking mess but it’s an awesome one that shows a lot potential.

Sharon Jones - Soul of a Woman (2017)
>Southern Soul

This album came out this year? No fucking way. This sounds like it came straight out of Motown, with a similar production style. The album’s arrangements, particularly its use of brass, organ and funk-styled guitar is so 70s. But it’s not a bad thing - I personally think a lot of neo-soul can verge on too smooth for me. The funk influence and throwback flair of this ensures it’s catchy and entertaining without coming off as too derivative. Fun stuff, through and through.

Somi - Petite Afrique (2017)
>Neo-Soul

The first few tracks on this thing got me super excited. I was looking forward to a super bombastic, bold Afrocentric album fronted by a great singer. The first half is quite strong, with twinges of African influences, great lyrics and even an awesome Aloe Blacc feature. Kind of like an Erykah Badu vibe going on here. Unfortunately, the second half of trails off so quickly… turning into mushy, generic coffeeshop music. The first half keeps this from being a total dud but the blandness of the second half ensures I probably won’t be revisiting this in full.

Jim Hall - Concierto (1975)
>Cool Jazz

I’m struggling to see why this is so highly regarded in the world of cool jazz. Chet Baker provides a cozy atmosphere as usual and Roland Hanna has some very pretty licks on the piano… but aside from that, nothing pops out. To me, it honestly represents everything I don’t like about CTI albums… a little too smooth all around. RYM has this listed as post-bop but I don’t hear any boundary-pushing or experimental elements that I usually associate with the movement. I know that’s not all the term signifies but I was looking forward to some weirded out cool jazz, I dunno. This album also manages to make “Concierto de Aranjuez”, one of my favorite Miles compositions, absolutely bore me to tears. Maybe I’ll throw this on if I’m reading or something but honestly - was not a fan.

i've read a lot about him, and i think i know some people who know people who know him, but sadly no. would love to meet the guy though.

>listening to o'rourke
sweet, which album? I'm listening to his Peel session

his Wakes On Cerulean joint with Kassel Jaeger from this year. the last three o'rourkes i've heard have been 8s, and the one before that was a 9. i'm not sure if my standards are dropping or if this is what it's like to be happy.

well yeah probably it's because how amazing is O'Rourke's music. I still have a long way to at least trying to catch up with his releases tho

gonna go to japan just to see o'rourke & emamouse live and buy official evangelion tit mousepads

quick rec me two folk albums

>What's your AOTY
>out of the 400 something eps/albums?

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

rateyourmusic.com/list/Accelerando_/2017-select-selects/
i'll probably update one more time on the 30th

hey bub! I'm doing alright, finished up a contract recently and now I'm going back to school. hit me up on discord, choof#2621
are you making grindcore now

yo this mix owns, thanks a bunch

welcome! her stuff is super underrated in general.

>emamouse
emamouse is such a great person

>Madvillain - Madvillainy
Madlib is amazing with everything that he is doing, the beats are amazing and everything flows perfectly. DOOM's lyrics are fun but at the same time really dumb. The combo oddly works and creates an great rap album. Though DOOM's lyrics are goofy but they flow and sit so well within the beats that Madlib makes, which are incredible in their own right.
7/10
>Joanna Newsom - Ys
Wow. Beautiful instrumentation, amazing lyrics, and some of the most raw and emotive vocals I've heard. All these elements come together to make something magical. Also Sawdust and Diamonds is god damn near perfect.
8/10
>Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Everyone in this album is way better than me and makes me feel bad about my own musical skill, I love that feeling. The album is great but there is definitely some stuff here that I am not getting. I'll be coming back to this when I've listened to some more jazz and can give this album the praise it deserves.
7/10
>Minor Threat - Complete Discography
He's so mad. This is the highpoint and bench mark of hardcore, hard hitting vocals, lyrics, and instrumentation.
7/10

>Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead / Boys
Can't believe this came out in 1979. Bela Lugosi's Dead in it entirity is dark, desolate, and tense, constantly waiting to erupt, which it does in glorious fashion. Then there's the b side. Boys is not a bad song but when compared to Bela Lugosi's Dead, it doesn't have the scope. But Bela Lugosi's Dead is amazing.
7/10
>Unwound - Fake Train
It's weird hearing an angry version of Unwound. I'm used to them being a dark and melancholic band that talks about ghosts and love going wrong. Fake Train is an interesting starting point for what Unwound would end up being, not that that is a bad thing. This is still an Unwound album through and through, fantastic playing from everyone, a dark unsettling atmosphere, wonderful noise freak outs, and amazing lyrics make this one hell of a record. Also Sara Lund is so underated.
8/10
>Godspeed You Black Emperor! - FA∞
When it comes to GYBE! I always break it down to story/flow and atmosphere. The story and flow is some of their best, the naration in the begining leads wonderfully into the musical landscapes that make up the bulk of the album. The landscapes themselves are great too. Not as good as later GYBL but still has that dark atmosphere that grips hard and does not let go.
7/10