I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease...

>I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge. He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.

What was his fucking problem?

doesn't like jews obviously

mwauuuHAAAAAAAAAAAAA THE FRENSHCH

Aaaand that pretty much describes me.. thanks for the feel

I like woody allen..

AAAAAAAAH LES FRERES DARDENNES

It's kinda obvious he's also talking about himself in there.

wow woody btfo

I agree. These kind of people are pathetic beyond belief, and horrible to talk with.

Covers Johnny Depp also.

So that's why people hate me.

Wow this guy seems really smart

>Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably arrogant
does that ring true to anyone? In my experience loudmouths are more arrogant and quieter people more humble

You gotta love how Orson Welles - one the most talented and original actors/filmmakers/all of that - will be remembered by coming generations for this: a fat drunk butchering his takes for cheap wine commercial. If he only knew that he himself was the undoing of his own legacy. The Internet doesn't care about Citizen Kane or his brilliant take on Othello, no, they love the meme. And really, who can blame them?

Just, do anything?

No shit why do you think Elliot Rodger was also hated

"When I'm in public, I even try to hide. I keep as quiet as possible so that I'm not noticed. Not that I hide behind doorways or anything ridiculous like that, but I hide by not making waves. I also try to make myself seem as unapproachable as possible."

Who wins?

>Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably arrogant.
How does this make sense at all?

He's kinda right. There are different types of "quiet" people. There's the confident type who just doesn't speak when he doesn't have anything to say, and then there's the type who DOES have something to say, but keeps to himself because he's afraid people won't like what he has to say.

In my experience, the timid, neurotic types DO like to call a lot of attention to themselves. They're just always reaching for sympathy rather than praise. You know the type - you can't speak too harshly to him, or mention certain things around him, or put him in the same room as (other person), or do half the things you'd normally do, because he'd just fall to pieces. The type where you have to constantly walk on eggshells and make special allowances

This doesn't apply to all quiet people, or all timid people, but he's talking about a certain personality type that I've also met before, and he's kinda spot-on. Woody Allen definitely fits the profile. He constantly moans about his insecurities and inadequacies, but at the same time he's a highly successful globe-trotting filmmaker, not remotely camera-shy, pulling TONS of pussy, so it really doesn't ring true does it? He's just got a lifelong case of self-pity because he wasn't ALSO born with a muscular frame, or whatever he's on about

He's spot on about arrogance and timidness I think

Because he threw violent tantrums when 10/10 white women didn't give up their pussies

Orson was a man's man

i read that in his voice. thank you

I disagree. The timid ones are the most arrogant. While they don't run their mouth at all, they always have this aura of superiority about them and subtly drop hints of being better than everyone. Then they double back and talk about 'woe is me' all the time making themselves look weaker. So if anyone attacks them, they are instantly the victim. I know classmates who act like this and it infuriates me that nobody calls him out on it.

I agree. Orson Welles is the greatest individual in American film. His legacy wasn't undone by wine commercials, but the very people who pushed him into these roles. Welles was a hated man in hollywood and by other elites (Hearst). I feel bad that such a force of nature was cut down to the point where they mocked him. Even late in his career he was very interesting. I listened to old hour long interviews with Orson when he was old and fat and he didn't speak like a drunken madman at all. Orson knew the theater and he knew it well.

>tfw too modest

He doesn't consider other people worth talking to.

Isn't this how most comedians are though? Reserved in public and don't really like to bring attention to themselves

>The timid ones are the most arrogant.
Timid people are timid because they have no confidence in themselves, they don't speak up because they think their opinions are wrong, their ideas are stupid, and maybe that their voice sounds faggy. They hate themselves and they think others will hate them too. This insecurity makes them fragile to criticism because they're already getting a constant stream of it from themselves, that if someone else were to agree, everyone of their insecurities will be confirmed and they'll just fucking kill themselves.
I fail to see how this is arrogant, it's quite the opposite.

>While they don't run their mouth at all, they always have this aura of superiority about them and subtly drop hints of being better than everyone.
>without running their mouth at all
Maybe you're the insecure one, projecting arrogance on people that don't know how to talk to you.

That's a self centered interpretation of timid people by a clueless extrovert.
They don't consider themselves worth talking to, or anything they think worthy of saying.

Yes. You have to either be this kind of person or know one well to get it. I'm terrified of other people and think I'm a pathetic piece of shit, but at the same time I consider myself smarter than 99% of people. It's funny how our brains let us do things like that.

I like his work in the 70s.
Everything up to Annie Hall was funny.

Don't you get it? Self-pity is self-obsession. EVERYONE has insecurities, but when you allow them to cripple you, you're not really participating in society, you're not giving it your best shot. That is inherently selfish.

Anyone that still wants you in their life is forced to tiptoe around your insecurities and weak spots, modify their behavior and filter their opinions to suit you.

Definitely some projection.
He does have a point though, but it's more than just Allen. Most comedians gravitate towards comedy for therapeutic reasons, usually to justify their idiosyncrasies or amoral behavior

Do you know any?

Fuck people like that

shit. my ex called me out on this a while ago. I'm trying to be more manly, always. but my ex specifically said that what infuriated her the most was when I'd beat down on myself.

I also hold back from speaking or just being comfortable with myself because I'm really too frightened to do that. but that was the past.

even right now I post this for (you)s patting my ass. if you respond aggressively, I will laugh it off in classic manner. because I cannot fathom someone like me ever warranting hostility.

Welles is impatient around those more introverted and takes it personally, then projects his own arrogance back upon them.

Damn Orson really knows how to throw shade

Are introverts really 50% of the population?
I can't believe that from observing most people around me.
25% -35% seems way more accurate.

you fail to see how it is arrogant - that part was true.

I'm sure these people have been told "it's ok, nobody really minds about you that much" to no avail. because they are convinced everyone minds. and that is essentially arrogance. arrogance here is simply putting ones value above others, being engrossed by the self and all matters to do with it. to not think about the world and what they can do for it without being held back by petty shit about their smile or capabilities is the opposite of this sort of arrogance.

bye rddit

>Reserved in public and don't really like to bring attention to themselves
This doesn't describe Woody Allen, and it's not the type of person Welles was talking about. Guys like Woody Allen LOVE attention, and the show of fragility/timidness is just a way to ensure that that attention is always positive.

He's a globally successful filmmaker that stars in his own work, sleeps with his beautiful co-stars, he's an educated international socialite, the guy is not averse to attention. He just says "Oh, poor me, I'm just so awkward and unsure of myself, oh I really just hate myself, please reassure me that I'm talented and smart and fun to be around or I'll just die" And nobody wants to be the big, bad bully picking on poor little Woody, so he gets to go most of his life without people calling him on his bullshit

Shut the fuck up and ma up or get the fuck out you self-serving narcissist. Get dirty, make mistakes and make something of yourself.

You could say self-improvement is self-obsession too. Improving yourself and getting people to like you isn't for other people's benefit, people seek those pleasures and accomplishments for their own joy.
We all have to modify our behavior around these alphas too, we have make sure we don't make them think we're trying to 'compete' for their precious 'air-time'. The "outta my way introverted fucking shits" people are looking for their social success and nothing is to get in their way. And their going to sit there and call other people arrogant?

Orson My main man. Silentbitchspeciesgo tocoygraves.

Lol at the triggered losers in this thread saying 'projection'

Woody Allen's still alive and fucking women a fraction of his age. He's not the one with the embarrassing body.

your illiterate

>fucking women a fraction of his age.
Yeah, 1/80th

>We all have to modify our behavior around these alphas too
This. When you personally offend an insecure "alpha", he will lash out at you rather than listen.

It can be, but at least self-improvement is generally positive. And for most people, "self-improvement" isn't just lifting weights and staring in the mirror. If you're working at improving your career, your hobbies, your friendships & relationships, then you're making yourself more useful and involved with the people around you. "Social success" isn't just a selfish, internalized goal, it means you're actually being good to the people in your life.

The type of self-pity you're talking about is just "waah, I'll never be perfect so I won't even try!" It's a waste of a life.

And by the way - I'm not talking about introversion. Introverts don't all hate themselves, introversion isn't ANTIsocial, they just need time alone.

just imagine all the shut-ins who never go outside though

most people don't want to be spoken to. Speaking to ~1000 people a day been a sidejob of mine, though one can realize this without any experience

>normie extrovert surrounds himself with normie extroverts
>"dude introverts don't exist lmao"

wrong website kiddo

>tfw when the board that actually has a discussion that affects me personally and made me think about my life was Sup Forums

This was a big step for me

Actually I'm a very introverted person. Watching others interact with each other and watching how they act toward me is why I think the percentage is lower than 50%. Most people I know are very chatty.

>I'm a unique special snowflake

wrong website kiddo

>tfw he described me with 100% accuracy in that paragraph

I-I'm sorry, Orson.

>Timid people are timid because they have no confidence in themselves, they don't speak up because they think their opinions are wrong, their ideas are stupid, and maybe that their voice sounds faggy. They hate themselves and they think others will hate them too. This insecurity makes them fragile to criticism because they're already getting a constant stream of it from themselves, that if someone else were to agree, everyone of their insecurities will be confirmed and they'll just fucking kill themselves.
>I fail to see how this is arrogant, it's quite the opposite.

Holy shit this hit so close to home it flew through my window and landed in my lap.

>I'll never be perfect so I won't even try!"

This is what I think though. Life is pointless if I can't have what I want, so I'm not going to try.

that's literally me

That's not really it at all, the way Orson Welles put it is so on-the-money it's almost frighting.

Super timid people have 0 self-esteem and they don't talk much because their mind starts wants to shit-talking itself before any real human being has a chance. It's total self pity.

When the timid smart-ass does muster up the courage to speak it's with a rebellious and egotistical attitude, cause he feels like he's finally standing up for himself. Except he's not, nobody was ever being mean to him except his inner monologue, and all anyone sees is a dude who's a weepy sensitive pussy half the time and a total stuck-up cock the other half.

...oh, and if he's ever confronted about it he immediately reverts back into the woe-is-me dainty little scumbag. People like this are so fucking awful to be around, they need to realize literally no-one's going to feel bad for them just because they hate themselves.

True alphas aren't really like that. People who act like that are usually fat fucks trying to act alpha and failing. If you challenge these fakes they shrivel up in a second and reveal their cowardliness.

Yeah but the thing is it's not anybody else's problem if you hate yourself. Nobody has ever gone "Gee I fucking hate this guy but it looks like he started hating himself first so that now I don't need to, guess I'll be nice instead."

If you walk around like you got a chip on your shoulder people are gonna treat you as if you do. The whole world's not your fucking therapist and nobody is trying to figure out your motivations.

this thread just made me realize i need to see a prostitute, thanks guys

Imagine being so arrogant that timid people offend you.

>How dare this person be humble? they're actually more arrogant than me I assume!!!

Same sort of mentality that autistic pieces of shit use to justify their rude behaviour 'I'm just honest bro!!!'

Literally everyone hates being around timid people dude.

A super polite person might feel bad for them and will just come up with excuses to not hang out.

There's a solution though, just take responsibility for own personality and present yourself as as who you authentically are. whatever rough edges you have will be sanded down pretty quickly and your life will become a million times better.

He's more right than wrong about this - the timid man won't allow those around him to stop monitoring his feelings for long - it's another way of being the center of attention. Whereas Welles types try to earn the attention they seek by being actively entertaining conversationalists and raconteurs, Woody types demand attention long before they repay it, by which time their air of vulnerability has persuaded everyone to dial down their expectations. To caricature his argument, 'Listen to me, I'm a genius!' is far less of a gyp to the hearer than 'Listen to me, I may say something if you all stop talking' - though both have their limits as conversational strategies.

I don't think that's very accurate. Timid people in my experience have grown-up in repressive/traumatic environments and are afraid to speak up because they hate themselves and have literally zero confidence. The arrogance may come for some as a coping strategy - they simultaneously consider themselves above everyone else and the worst person on the planet. Not all timid people are like this, though.

Timid =/= humble. It's possible to be humble while also being assertive and functional

>whatever rough edges you have will be sanded down pretty quickly and your life will become a million times better.
Not really. If timid people just take responsibility for who they are and strive for authenticity they will just keep being timid.

>MUAAHHHHHHHHHHH! Luke, did I ever tell you about Paul Masson? The Corellian Starpilots have always been renowned for their excellence. There is a Corellian Starpilot who gave his life for the republic. And like all good friends, he was captured by the empire and fermented in carbonite. Did I mention he was vintage dated?........Luke?

Socializing is too difficult
I'm always afraid of saying the wrong thing and triggering someone or being offended
That's why I seldom go out or speak in public. Many people consider me arrogant for this

I'm not going to remember him at all for some wine drunk shit.

I'm going to remember him for his hate of all things Philadelphia.

Why would you want to keep the company of the easily offended? What value to you gain from such weak minds?

You gotta love how Orson Welles - one the most talented and original actors/filmmakers/all of that - will only be remembered by me as Unicron. I don't care about Citizen Kane or his brilliant take on Othello, no, I love the shitty cartoon made to sell toys. And really, who can blame me?

Just, do anything?

Bronson was actually the quiet badass stereotype but IRL.
Worked in the mines and then did WW2 for fuck sake.

Nonsense. I'm an introvert, I pay very fucking close attention to why people are saying what they say, how they're feeling, what their objective is. To claim no-one does this is naive, and amusingly, quite arrogant.

>a rich full bodied wine reasonably priced at a dollar a jug

What did he mean by this?

To be fair, I'd be pissed off if I have to talk to a pedophile.

It's the kind of guy who can't talk to women without nearly having a panic attack but can easily shitpost like a madman on a Taiwanese Phone Bill forum.

Make some female friends and it will go away. It sounds like a hassle but I did it and I'm smooth as fuck now. Girls also seem to make very good caring friends.

this is the most retarded post i've read all day

If you ACTUALLY offend someone literally all that happens cringy inside for about 30 minutes. Then your brain re-calibrates itself you never make the same mistake again.

Just don't say obviously dumb shit like "YEAH SO I WAS JERKIN IT TO SOME GORE PHOTOS LOL NIGGERFARTGOT HAHA AREN'T I SUCH A FUNNY CONFIDANT PERSON?"

We need to make a distinction between real timidity and acting timid while possessing enough self-confidence to have a successful nightclub act. The timid, arrogant man, the man who courts attention while behaving fearfully, not in reaction to hurts really received, but in reaction to the omnipotence of his fantasies, is the kind Orson is talking about.

I know that's what I did. I agree with Orson's quote because I was that type of guy for most of high school.

It's all true

>tfw smart but too timid

They fester their arrogance to themselves and let it build. I actually think it's pretty accurate.

He mentions himself once, and frankly, when he refers to having to pretend to be modest. Welles could be incredibly self-critical, he wasn't the sort to accuse others of his own faults.

Pretty much this. Woody Allen makes movies starring Woody Allen, they're successful around the world, he's an educated high-society socialite who bangs his pretty co-stars and travels the world, he's talented and funny and successful. He is not "timid" in the same way the average /r9k/ shut-in is timid. He's just never stopped pitying himself for the fact that he isn't ALSO burly, muscular, and handsome in the traditional Anglo-Saxon sense. He's the kid that gets a brand-new car for Christmas, and throws a tantrum because he wanted a car AND a swimming pool

He doesnt like pedophiles who cheat on a woman to fuck the gook adopted girl they raised together.

Also he's a fucking kike.

>It's all true

10/10 for this inconspicuous Orson in-joke.

Who's to say he never stopped pitying himself?

That makes absolutely no sense, by definition a timid person is afraid to reveal their actual personality because they can't stand the thought that people might not like them or might be mean to them. Timidity is like a burka for your personality.

A timid person isn't the same as a quiet person. A quiet person is still capable of speaking with vitality whenever he desires.

People like Allen and Sup Forums users are quiet while feeling contempt and looking down at everyone around them.

Angry little betas basically

you sound pretty arrogant

Woody Allen

You just described feminists.

Exactly this.

>tfw too smart to be timid

No problem. He was based.

I hate faggots like that too. Such as this one.