Anyone care to tell me how they're making these sounds from 2:40 onwards

Anyone care to tell me how they're making these sounds from 2:40 onwards

youtu.be/n17zT_EFHdU

How do you sustain that feedback like that? Why do the guitars sound like they're wailing like that? Never heard anything like this, not even from Mercury Rev

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=USImpaOktIc
youtu.be/Pf3LleUYUXU
youtube.com/watch?v=LrS5ztAJ5xw
youtube.com/watch?v=gwsfT8MiZBo
youtube.com/watch?v=8h2VvMgwIF4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Distorted guitars

No it doesn't work like that

I'm wondering if it's possibly a human voice

it definitely sounds like someone singing

if you like that, you need to listen to brainiac op
youtube.com/watch?v=USImpaOktIc

Not OP, but I have a similar question
Does anyone have tips or a "tutorial" on how to get guitar tone like that on the first two Mercury Rev albums or the early BJM stuff?

For Brian Jonestown Massacre it's almost exclusively various distortion pedals and reverb. Anton is not a gear head at all.

Mercury Rev is a lot more complicated. They're using a lot of fuzz pedals and wah but I haven't been able to get that tone, ever.

Here's something I bet you haven't heard before. Listen to those guitars that come in around 1:55

youtu.be/Pf3LleUYUXU

I mean what the fuck? How do they do that? This isn't even early Mercury Rev. That's from like 10 years ago

Holy shit, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about - how do they do that?
I really don't have a clue when it comes to gear, I'm an ok guitarist but I'm only starting to build up a set of pedals
Any suggestions for this sort of noisy psychedelia?

reminds me of 4:03 in this song
youtube.com/watch?v=LrS5ztAJ5xw

wow you're right

It's the same thing going on

How are they distorting vocals like that?

Probably yelling through the guitar pickups

guitar pickups don't react to a human voice

They absolutely do. Different types of pickups will do it to varying degrees, generally old, well-worn pickups have looser internals which will resonate more from outside sounds and are more likely to pick up noise.

You can clearly see it 1:59 into this video: youtube.com/watch?v=gwsfT8MiZBo

Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse does it all the time.

He's yelling into his guitar pickups with a distortion pedal and the amps cranked all the way up

I have never heard something so fucked up and crushing as this just now. It sounds like a guitar crying

there's also a whammy bar being used here

all these people saying it's someone singing into the pickups are wrong.

the mics would've picked up the vocals being yelled into the pickups.

something else is going on here.

just ask anton on twitter

he responds to pretty much everyone

bump

final bump

Under a wire
Don't stand there like a crucifix fucking hit me!
Oh god what have I done
Did you see her.
Death has Dominion here. Death has Dominion here.

fuck me i forgot how fucking PATRICIAN this album is. this is the coolest bjm album

>Any suggestions for this sort of noisy psychedelia?
have you listened to yerself is steam and boces?

youtube.com/watch?v=8h2VvMgwIF4

I meant suggestions for pedals to help achieve this sound
But of course I've listened to Boces and YIS, they are probably my two favorite albums at the moment

e-bow? (plus pedals?)

These kinda sound like the sort of stuff Dean Wareham was doing in Galaxie 500 in during those long solos he'd do.

Trips don't lie.
Regardless of my opinion on Silverchair, that's a pretty cool trick.
I've seen Sonic Youth do this on Late Night with David Letterman, as well. Then they attacked each other with their instruments and shoved drumsticks underneath the guitar strings and stuff like that. It's one of the few times I've seen Letterman totally lose it laughing.
Couldn't tell you what song it was or when but it was when he was still doing the show back in New York in the early 90s.