What the FUCK was Nolan thinking with this design?

What the FUCK was Nolan thinking with this design?

>inb4 "homage"

It's fucking stupid.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0UoOhdvQYmo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>inb4 "homage"

First I've heard of this. Homage to what?

ITS fucking good. Shut the fuck up you bitch. Ima kill you

> Being this sad and pathetic
I feel sorry for you

I agree it's a bit silly, but they absolutely needed to subvert the backstabbing/secretly evil/uncanny valley/secret motive/cute/ robot tropes.

They did that by making a robot as physically robotic as possible.

TARS are one of the best things about Interstellar. It was nice to for once see a robot design that hasn't been done in a billion other sci-fi films.

I would assume the monolith from Space odyssey.

This.

Loved the design!

Damn with all those plot holes and illogical character behavior I pretty much forgot about the physically impossible ridiculous looking robot thing. Thanks op for reminding me not to put myself through this again.

No problem

>!

Nolan is the Philip K Dick of cinema. Great ideas, doesn't understand the language. That being said, Inception is a masterpiece

TARS was cool as fuck, I loved seeing all the various modes it had for moving around or performing different functions.

>physically impossible ridiculous looking robot thing
Over 90% of robot designs are ridiculous when you really think about them. Real robots aren't gonna look like R2-D2 or transformers.

i swear too god i played around with them and thought they could be a robot design when i was younger.

fucking nolan stealing my ideas

>TARS, set poor taste to 99%

Literally the mist practical robot design I've ever seen

Good examples definitely. R2 D2 is Dalek tier. Transformers are just magic shapeshifters or something, physics don't apply.

Fully expect him to turn the caps of this juice into a spaceship design his next movie.

Robots are going to look like R2-D2 because of R2-D2 though

>Voiced by Masketta Man
What did Nolan mean by this

Problem being, of course, that it was completely retarded and completely impractical in every aspect.

It actually would've been more subversive had they gone with a "cliche" design THEN had it/them be the most reliable character in the film.

Most practical is still probably HAL, being a fucking spaceship and everything.

Of course they fucked the software, but still.

See
I'm just happy we got a unique robot design.

R2-D2 robots will be made for nerds who are obsessed with Star Wars. They won't have many practical uses. Robots that are made for real uses won't look anything like R2-D2.

R2-D2 would make a perfectly practical robo-bartender

kek

And a Roomba

>OP knows jack shit about robotics

Best explanation from someone who didn't like the movie was from Adam Savage. All movements must come from servos, TARS design limited the ammount of servos and actuators so it was actually a really smart design

Also, yes, it was homage for the monolith of space oddysey youtube.com/watch?v=0UoOhdvQYmo

The only reason it was good was because it IS practical

It makes a lot more sense than some humanoid shit. There would be no practical reason to make it look humanoid.

I still don't understand why they didn't just send all robots instead of humans

I know there was a throwaway line about robots not being able to "improvise" but it seems like robots still did better than humans in every way regardless

and with the TURBO MODE that CASE dislpayed on the water planet there's basically no physical terrain they can't overcome

basically robots > humans, the humans their lousy decisions and failures are holding them back the whole way

TARS and CASE were military robots but in their universe the military ceased to exist around the world, they were salvaged.

Even NASA was a hidden program barely sustaining itself, remember that schools stopped teaching science and focused on farming (lunar landings were a cold war hoax and so on)

Lol nice bait, seems to have triggered a lot of Interstellar-worshippping rebbitors

>I still don't understand why they didn't just send all robots instead of humans
Because then there would be no movie

MAKE WAY - SUPERIOR ROBOTIC SIDEKICK COMING THROUGH!

This doesnt make any sense.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Every time I come to this thread I never see the one interesting thing discussed.

These are supposed to be retired military robots. These dude fought wars? Killed people? Flew aircraft? Are they part of a much bigger device that is used in war?

Never seen this brought up.

it's complicated to have so many limbs. this design is better cost wise considering the world they are in

what's wrong with tars

it grew on me

its the idea of simplicicity for mass production its sad you find it offensive but the military isnt about spennding 100 grand so you can beat your dick to some artificial bitch

just foot soldiers I think
they're well built for it, just add guns to the little gripper arms they can bring out

how are they gonna hold, or fire anything?

their design are terrible foot soldiers. these things must be some operatives, and have tanks or huge walking robots things.

It is genius design, I'm not sure about the physics of it, but that kind of design if possible would be incredibly useful.

Is this that movie where the dude is a clone and there's like hundreds of clones?

Because then they wouldn't be able to do something impossible but necessary.

Fuck you JJ Abrams TARS was the best part of the movie.

glueing 4 teeter totters to a lawn mower engine.

It's the worst robot design I've ever seen. It honestly made the movie hard to take seriously.

At least it wasn't another fucking humanoid.

Yeah, the worst.....

Is there any explanation as to how this works? It just doesn't look practical at fucking all.

It's cool. Also TARS is best character.

at least that robot is useful...like, at all. It has fine motor functions, an opposable digit and is easy for humans to relate to.

Agreed

The robots in Interstellar were very distinctive and good

It was just supposed to be very spartan, utilitarian, basic and versatile. The kind of machine a dying impoverished society would design for utilitarian purposes. The fancy imaginative designs were for the pre-collapse society.

No..... Just no.... Here is the best!

>happybirthdaypaulie

People keep saying the robots were versatile and utilitarian, but I can't actually think of one useful thing a giant mechanical slab can actually do. So, what is ONE thing this robot could do? How does it even capture them at the NASA base? How could it possibly stop a human from just walking away from it...?

it's using swinging a swinging motion to move around. it's neat in the sense that you avoid a boat load of problems with more humanoid designs. the amount of actuators you'd need for shit like TARS in most movement modes are around 4-5 because you're only swinging those long ass arms around.

humanoid robot designs require way more actuators and complex designs to have even basic mobility and that's not including shit with their hands.

how to the 4 slabs connect and disconnect at different points? It's like they are just magnetic or something. I don't know, I just think it's too bulky and not enough fine motor skill to be useful in almost any situation. Literally give me a more humanoid robot any day, for any task. Except, maybe, the ONE useful thing it does in the movie: go fast in a straight line.

>discount Chappie

Nah

>how to the 4 slabs connect and disconnect at different points? It's like they are just magnetic or something.

it's magnets. There's nothing else in the world that would work for TARS except magnets.

>I just think it's too bulky and not enough fine motor skill to be useful in almost any situation

it lacks a lot of finer shit that a humanoid robot would have but it does what it's designed for perfectly in terms of basic heavy lifting and protection. TARS doesn't need the finer movement points a humanoid style robot would need because it's designed to be paired with a human for those tasks.

Chappie is cool, but Johnny 5 is cooler.

I imagine TARS is pretty heavy. Those would be some strong fucking magnets. Not the kind of thing you want in a spaceship filled with sensitive instruments.

I could go on all day. I hate this robot. Was it visually intriguing? Yes. Was it practical? I really don't think so. But it's okay if you like it.

you're fucking stupid.

TARS SET HUMOR TO REDDIT

This. Say what you will about his other movies, but Inception and The Prestige are actual kino.

He also made the best capeshit movie that will ever be made. Closest capeshit could ever come to kino. Prestige and Inception are exceptional stories.

did paulie have sex with his robot?

Best robot design right fucking here!!!FACT!!!

It was designed to be totally practical. It has hands/digits that can fold out from each section. I don't see how it isn't practical since we see it do plenty of stuff in the movie a humanoid robot couldn't do.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not the best scene in the movie?
>that weird silence
>that realization
>that suspense
>realizing they are wasting years as they wait

It was great before it went pure garbage. I think the only thing that could have made it better is when you see the body you see it start getting up so you realize they left him to die for hundredes of years

>implying it's not a fucking Cylon ship

>mfw I found out that was an actual robot robot and not just a robot-looking puppet

It's just that the military is the group most interested in robots. NASA would never have the funding or desire to create a TARS. If something like TARS was ever developed created it would be a military project. That doesn't mean that it has to be running around shooting people. The military would find uses for TARS similar to what it does in the movie like carry things, retrieving people, and being a portable AI thingy which can fly helicopters and stuff.

perfect use of /Spoiler

It's one of the few good things of Interstellar.
Shut up.

adam savage is a walking, breathing meme.

>but user, you're already posting on Sup Forums

>TARS
Moar liek TARD...amirite?

Seriously, about the move...the "time chamber" near o close the blackhole was an alien device...or the guy was having a space time dream?

>how's it going to hold...

Here's the thing, what does it need to hold? Do tanks "hold" guns? No. Of course they don't. You build the gun into the device. Also, if you'd watch the movie, they hold things just fine. They manipulate hand controls just fine and have zero problem picking up an astronaut for instance.

Tars was great. I was rooting so hard for interstellar to be a good movie. The movie's biggest problem was lack of subtlety. They overexplained everything to the point where a drooling retard who was asleep half the time would be able to understand it. The movie should have ended the moment he gets sucked into the black hole. No explaining that he transcended the 4th dimension and became the ghost in the bookshelf (although it was already obvious at this point). Give people room to speculate and things to talk about.

Have you considered watching the movie?

You realise that r2d2 is an astromech droid? he is not made for roaming around being useful.
He is made to be deployed on a spaceship and fix it.

>error, sir. poor taste is already at a maximum and cannot br lowered

They explained everything and people still walked out confused. You guys just have to let that kind of gripe go. Mass market movies are always going to have to expliain shit to the mass audience.

And they're frigging dumb.

See

Now, as much as you think they spent too much time explaining shit, there's thousands of dudes, like this one, that didn't follow. They're the audience.

So instead of being appreciated by a small part of the audience, the movie was appreciated by almost no one. It's like 2001 for 14 year olds.

>UNIQUE AND ORIGINAL = GOOD
kys my man

Ya know...for my engineering duties I'm very aware of all the things I'm dealing.

But for a movie about a "cool" space cowboy fag, a weeping bitch, a retarded transformer and shiet in space...is not that I like to pay a lot of attention..

I just want to know what was all that space chamber thing, that's all.

I litcherally lmaoed in the theater when they gave their cop out answer as to why they couldn't send humans

so basically if you push the thing over by its side its worthless?

wow what a robot

robots*

>They explained everything and people still walked out confused.

Because the explanations were gibberish and the movie was pure wank.

>invite robot to your house
>fucks up all your carpets