Why are there some many musicians that claim they don't know how to read sheet music...

Why are there some many musicians that claim they don't know how to read sheet music? It is something you can learn in a few hours and get used to with some weeks of training.
How the fuck someone who makes a living out of music can't bother to learn something so basic?

Because they don't need to.

ITT: play by the rules or someone is gonna get hurt

learning to read sheet music limits your creativity because it's a quantized medium.

How does it limit your creativity?

Because he thinks so.

This is said a lot but doesn't really make sense. Reading sheet music does not necessarily mean writing music by 'the rules', and playing from sheet music does not necessarily limit creativity. It's just another tool that can be used or not, and can be useful in several ways.

I do also think if more musicians had better understanding of music through proper study then they would write better, considering most aren't really aiming to do anything particularly creative or experimental anyway. Plus knowing the rules means you can break them better e.g. serialism.

ugh let me tell u a secret. everybody knows sheet music. its just a inside joke ppl have been saying.

I know how to read sheet music, but honestly you just need to if you play classical or jazz.

Learning to read sheet music is doable in a short amount of time and there are apps and shit to practice reading so I don’t know why any musician wouldn’t want to.

If they're not playing someone else's music, most musicians don't need to read sheet music.

There aren't rules though. Serialism is theory too.

What does the crotchet rest between the staffs mean? Also, wouldn't the dotted half note already fill up a whole bar in 3/4 time?
Being a brainlet is suffering.

It's a divisi. The bottom note gets played, then 1 beat later the other 3 notes are played for 2 beats.

if they're playing rock or some other simple riff or texture-driven genre then writing it in sheet music can be useless or awkward
or singers can do everything by ear

Probably one of the stupidest posts I have read on this board.

You realize all the most respected musicians used to transcribe and re-write note for note the music of the masters before them. They literally didn't just learn the songs the coppied them. The lack of creativity comes from there not being any there in the first place. Someone who is truly creative or a "genius" can look at what works and do their own take on it. You learn a lot from analyzing classical music and it helps if you're serious and want to be respected and aren't just a soundcloud nibba

>want to be respected
I don't think that's what one's motivation should be when making music

I learned it in gradeschool and then forgot it because I got into Stevie Ray Vaughan.

>I don't want to be the best at what I do

t. soyboy faggot

Maybe I worded it weird but if you want to be respected as a writer/composer. You don't make music to be respected, I was more saying if you want to be a respected artist vs a trend. Like a Prince vs Mc Hammer or Beethoven vs Zara Larson. Does that make more sense?

You probably like the mountain goats you fucking nerd

I still think it's better to just do whatever you bloody well please when writing music, without obsessing over whether people will respect you for it.

Well that's a good way to look at it. Do your own thing, but if you're actually talented you will gain the respect of others. But the idea that studying to get better shows you care. Trust me, I'm not a genius, but I've grown leaps and bounds from taking classes and having to analyze music that I never would have done on my own. Seriously, I still do it after the classes because there is a lot to learn. Just like how a scientist looks at the work of his predecessors and builds off it, a true artist looks and the past and builds off it with their own creative spin.

If you don't want to excel at something then just give up on it.

I'm friends with some guys in a local band. They just don't use it. They aren't doing recitals in a fancy concert hall. They play in sleazy dive bars. Sheet music doesn't come up for them. When they record they're all together and learn their parts, and if they do need to write something down it's done quickly with tabbing software. I don't think they even know how to read sheet but they've already been able to go on tour to Europe. I would say it completely depends on what you're playing and trying to do.

Because pop musicians don't really need to as long as they can play it.