Who was the best 70s prog band and why was it Jethro Tull

Who was the best 70s prog band and why was it Jethro Tull

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Vq8m0sARWk
youtube.com/watch?v=YsTK2LHZKPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Rwn0R1PFUwU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They had good lyrics, for once. Not a lot of prog band can flaunt themselves of that.

No but seriously, Jethro Tull is very unique, even as far as prog is concerned, in the sense that, perhaps more than any other band in the genre, they developed a style that is instantly recognizable and supremely enjoyable. On top of that, they released almost only great albums from the late sixties to the late seventies, in which they never fell into the trap that so many other prog bands tend to fall into: gratuitously complicated wankery.

That, and the thing with the lyrics too, desu.

moody blues

They're good but KC, Genesis, Camel and floyd all had better streaks

That's a funny way to spell King Crimson

ELP are the fucking greatest, this one is an all time favorite of mine

Hard to fuck with giger cover art

The Acqualung-Thick as a Brick-Passion Play streak is one of the greatest in prog

Bunch of fucking wankers glad they're all dead

SITTING ON THE PARK BENCH

its Faust

Too bad camel's vocalist was shit, I'd probably love them if it wasnt for the guy with the pussy diaphragm

Faust, Amon Duul ii, Can, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull are the god-tier of prog as far as I'm concerned. I'm keeping my mind open to new stuff though, even if a lot of it is shockingly shitty for how effusively it gets recommended to me by some mouthbreather on Sup Forums.

My god tier is Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, King crimson, and tool. Discuss.

You're racist to germans or maybe krautrock just isn't to your taste and that's fine

Good list. This is one of my favs, absolutely essential.

King Crimson and Pink Floyd are the apex of 70s prog. There are no other acceptable answers.

What do you think of gryphon and return to forever

Fuck you pleb. Also Emerson is still alive.

It might be an entry level answer, but for me it is and always will be Yes. they just hit all the right spots for me and although there were many great prog bands with amazing songs, none of them have as many tracks that would touch me on such a deep level as Yes has. Jethro Tull is up there as well though, great band. I'm pissed as hell because they were playing in a city next to mine literally like 2 weeks ago and I fucking missed it

Rush.

2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are all 10/10 prog albums.

Why do people consider Aqualung a prog album?

For me it's more like a hard rock album without genre boundaries. Like Led Zeppelin 3 or Houses of the holy.

Yeah I never really think of Tull when I think of Prog. They're different the most the stuff in the genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Vq8m0sARWk

Best album that isn't Aqualung or Thick as a Brick?

I really like Songs for the Wood.

It is Jethro Tull
Good job OP

>Emerson
>Alive

I Wish

Well its not rush

A Passion Play

70's Prog Rock Power Rankings:
1. King Crimson
2. Yes
3. Pink Floyd
4. Genesis
5. Tull

WHISKEY WOMAN DONT YOU KNOW YOU ARE DRIVING ME INSAAAAAAAANE YEAH

Nah

Zappa > Tull > Zeppelin > Pink Floyd > Yes

CHANGES.....CHANGEEEEEEEEYAAYAYAAAAAS....CHANGES.....CHANGEEEEEEEHHHEEEEAAAAAEEEAAAEAAA

Good post. They were really unique and had a lot of good albums that don't get much attention these days outside of their singles.

Hard to rank them in prog because there's so many different styles of it, they kinda sound like the Canterbury style stuff more then the regular mainstream prog.

I love all of those bands but I wouldnt personally group Led Zeppelin in w/ the prog bands. I was a fool for overlooking Zappa tho

You must score a lot with an original taste like that.

>Zeppelin
Sabbath is more prog..

Oh fair enough. Didn't realize you were talking strictly about prog though.

sorry I didn't meet your obscurity quota. I just gave you my honest opinion

That's a good one.

favorite led zeppelin album?

>They had good lyrics, for once. Not a lot of prog band can flaunt themselves of that.
What 70s prog band didn't have great lyrics?

Genesis

It's Van der Graaf Generator.

How could you possibly think that?

C'mon mate Genesis has some pretty lame lyrics

I know what I want in your wardrobe is bascially the worst chorus of all time

Physical Graffitti

Henry Cow is love

Stand Up

> muh commie prog

You seem like a good guy and I like your opinions, but I think Yes fucked around too much with cheesy synthesizer starting with Topographic Oceans.

Gabriel-era Genesis will always be my favorite.

TFTO is apex patrician though

>cheesy synthesizer
opinion discarded

Aqualung is one of my favorite albums ever OP. It's just so perfect, top to bottom. If you ever want to showcase perfect flow between tracks to form a cohesive album experience, look no further. Who says you need 20 minute songs. THIS is songwriting.

VICTIM OF CHANGEEEEEESSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yikes

>Bunch of fucking wankers glad they're all dead
>Carl Palmer
They're decent but nowhere near the level of Jethro Tull or most other 70's prog bands. They had 2 good albums and that's it, plus their style was super niche and you have to be in the right mood for it. Whereas bands like PF or JT wrote super catchy, anthemic, songs which you could groove to whenever while still maintaining the musical complexity of a group like ELP

>Zappa
>Zeppelin
>Prog

Benefit is v good

FLYING SO HIGH, TRYING TO REMEMBER
HOW MANY CIGARETTES DID I BRING ALOOONG

youtube.com/watch?v=YsTK2LHZKPQ

Rush is the best prog act and the sooner you learn this the better

>implying

WHEN I GET DOOOWN
I'LL JUMP IN A TAXI CAB
DRIVING THROUGH LONDON TOWN
TO CRY YOU A SONG

"The mountain cuts off the town from view
Like a cancer growth is removed by skill
Let it be revealed
A waterfall, his madrigal
An inland sea, his symphony

Undinal songs
Urge the sailors on
Till lured by the sirens' cry

Now as the river dissolves in sea
So Neptune has claimed another soul
And so with gods and men
The sheep remain inside their pen
Until the Shepherd leads his flock away

The sands of time were eroded by
The river of constant change"

These are some of the worst lyrics ever written and I love Genesis.

Based

Fuck off pleb

This.

i dont see the issue here. this is far from the most nonsensical thing to come out of peter gabriels mouth

Tha's fuh true

this guy knows
Stand up is their second best album
Aqualung is weak as a full package, few good songs

>Aqualung is weak as a full package, few good songs
retard

This image is missing The Power And The Glory

This. Aspirations is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Gentle Giant knew how to make sublime songs when they wanted to.

Yes and Supertramp were way better than Jethro Tull. Even the first 2 albums by UFO stumps them

Frigg off

For me, it's Genesis

*blocks your path*

Fag

IT'S BEEN A LONG TIIIIME
STILL SHAKING MY WINGS
WELL I'M A GLAD BIRD
I GOT CHANGES TO RING

>Aqualung is weak as a full package, few good songs

"Stand Up" is among Jethro Tull's best, I agree with that, but that "Aqualung" is weak... my dude, "Aqualung" is so good as a full package, you can't help but feel like it's a concept album even though Ian Anderson himself said that it isnt.
This user put it really well

Too Old To Rock n Roll, Too Young to Die is a guilty please, the album has some turds but the title track is fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rwn0R1PFUwU

I agree but why do people here only ever recognize Brain Salad Surgery when Trilogy is so much better?

stop clinging onto pink floyd, user, they're terrible

gentle giant

MAGMA

I used to be a big progger, but I was on the folky side. Tull, Wishbone Ash Mk. I, Gentle Giant, Comus, the list could go on.

In what fucking universe is Trilogy better than BSS

This for me desu

a thread died for this

Dunno if I'd call them the best but I think they had a sense of fun and playfulness that you don't usually associate with classic prog bands. And they threw in some folk and hard rock influences that gave them their own identity. And Anderson was just a great songwriter and lyricist. Aqualung and Thick as a Brick are masterpieces.

It's a really underrated album, same thing for Minstrel in the Gallery. Baker Street Muse is one of their finest songs, yet it's hardly ever talked about.

> ctrl f “popol vuh”
> 0 matches
> closes thread