Contemporary """"design""""

Contemporary """"design""""

When did art and more especially architecture and interior / industrial design become a haven for the marginally creative, low iq, normies of the world?

>go to garbage dump
>find some foam
>tie it together with rope
GENIUS
INNOVATIVE

I swear all you need to be successful in the design world is to have no self awareness and a really nice sized ego.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/101804860
rense.com/general32/americ.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

'

Now, for the beauty.

]

[

If Bernini was so great, why couldn't he make the statues non-glossy

the absolute madman

And one last one ;)

vimeo.com/101804860

Heheh.. so masterful though.

Richest artist in the UK.

imagine how long this would take. all those folds.

I've noticed the same thing. I mean I didn't necessarily have a problem with the transition from decades-old heirlooms to Ikea-tier furniture but now I feel like young people just have sweat-stained beds and a lamp. What the fuck happened.

I mean we've obviously talked about Weimar art/architecture but never interior design. I don't know. I remember Ghost went on a rant about it a little while ago.

wew

That's Michelangelo's Pieta..

Gob smacking indeed.

bauhuas isn't even bad compared to what we have now.

look at this fucking piece of shit.
if i see one more cookie cut, soft wood veneered rectangle im gonna lose it.

exposed steel support beams.. natural wood veneer..concrete.. what the fuck kind of retard shit is this. a 10 year old could design this house.

le epic wood box with floor to ceiling windows, le so refined and edgy.
this is what all contemporary design is. literally all of it.

they're gearing us up for communism.

:^)

WHY DONT YOU GUYS JUST GO LIVE IN FUCKING CABINS YOU HATE EVERYTHING WHAT THE FUCK

God that new building is trash, wonder how they managed to justify replacing the old architecture.

If you look at the thread we also post what we like see

the 60's at least. There was an episode of "I Dream of Genie" about this very thing.

This is objectively bad.
Landscaping is poverty tier.
4 different exterior finishes.. 4..

>See I want wood paneling on my deck because I'm outdoorsy kinda guy, but I also want my living room to be floor to ceiling polished concrete because I'm a edgy industrial kind of guy
I want yuppies to leave.

and this piece of garbage is featured on every design blog perpetuating the fad.

there are thousands of different types of contemporary designs

you are cherry picking examples of the worse

And with this stuff man, with time it tends to become dirty and look like complete trash.

I'm picking the most mainstream. Which is to make every house look like a sauna in norway.

>I'm picking the most mainstream. Which is to make every house look like a sauna in norway.

On fire.

Looks like a public toilet.

>Sup Forums - Art and Architecture

Best Board

Until you look at it and realize that the Virgin Mary's proportions are about the same as Wun Wun's compared to manlet Jesus.

Seriously, she's about 9' tall compared to him.

That toilet has a more consistent design than the house, tbqfhmf.

>He doesn't get brutalism

That's fucking aesthetic perfection, you goddamn philistine. Shouldn't you be drinking outside the local ladbroke's in your favorite team england tracksuit or something?

Tbf she is wearing a large flowing garment and is healthy, Jesus is completely drained and without much clothes on. I think the effect you describe is intentional.

Looks like beginners first source engine map

unfinished concrete a shit

>That's fucking aesthetic perfection, you goddamn philistine.

Looks like trash to me, how does it nourish your soul? Just look at this comparison This type of thing tends to become tired and soulless looking.

I like it

You'd rather have this?

the point is to show how a grown man is still a small baby to his mother

We could make an argument that this whole thread is art.

>>He doesn't get brutalism
>That's fucking aesthetic perfection, you goddamn philistine.

I'm going to ask you the question you dread, instead of shitposting back:

Why?

It is culturally neutral also. I think some of this is intentional.

The local council has to build something and they make it culturally neutral as to not offend the sensibilities of incoming migrants from whereeverthefuckistan.

Requesting the post where the guy carved a dragon that was placed next to the clay sculpture of a guy suckling his own dick.

>>go to garbage dump
>>find some foam
>>tie it together with rope
>GENIUS
>INNOVATIVE
Well, if it's so easy why don't you do it and get filthy rich?

It's rather beautiful in this sense.

Birmingham library is an atrocity, but there are plenty of other brutalist buildings that aren't.

Just as there are plenty of hackneyed, atrocious looking neo-gothic and neoclassical buildings out there.

It's all about the execution, not the specific aesthetic style.

I personally think that the rococo stylings of neo-gothic English cities of the Victorian era could be just as monotonous and overpowering as the the worst that Brutalism inflicted over there.

Honestly, the ones who hit the sweet spot were the early pre-modernists like Louis Sullivan, Giles Gilbert Scott, Edwin Lutyens, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and Frank Lloyd Wright, but that's neither here nor there.

the whole point of its creation was to project the strength of the state.
I like some of it, but I don't want my city covered in it and I prefer it in brick not concrete.

At least it's an ethos.. and not swedish sauna box for the creatively inept.

I admittedly like in in some instances but its overdone, especially in certain cities

desu I don't mind Boston City Hall considering the rest of the city is classic

It's a bait and switch. The truly wealthy and powerful live in proper castles, Georgian estates, and classically appointed flats with Greek moldings. They keep their equivalent of normies out by forcememeing the notion that what's really cool is Scandinavian minimalism, basic shapes and solid designer colors.
Just like diversity for thee but not for me.

Concrete, when used well, has an incredibly calming effect. It's literally stone, massaged and re-arranged into man-made forms, and in a way, it's the pinnacle of traditional masonry-based architecture.

Good brutalism stripped away all pretensions and focused on the inherently calm strength of the raw concrete form, working with it and manipulating it into all sorts of intricate, almost cave-like forms. The truly great brutalist architects went one step further and built of of Le Corbusier's wonderful mastery of natural light and the notion that navigating and interacting with the built environment should be an adventure in it's own right.

When executed properly, brutalism could produce intimate, cozy, yet hauntingly sublime spaces that were on par with all but the best of the high French cathedrals in terms of how they combined an imposing, solemn, and almost timeless grace with surprise moments of human scale interaction.

And that's completely ignoring all of the prewar, 1950's and early 1960's optimism and excitement about our technological future that underpinned this overwhelming desire to build these raw concrete techno-cathedrals of the 20th century that might last in the same way that their stone forebears have.

I would never put modern art shit on the wall but a painting made by a chimp, even if it looks like shit, would be pretty funny to have desu.

I might even pay 400 bucks for it.

>inb4 some one links an african artist

You have plenty of chimps in your country, I'm sure at least one of them has painted in something other than blood.

SFU, getting students ready for communism since 1963

Why do I read this in Patrick Batemans voice

Just a coincidence
rense.com/general32/americ.htm
>22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to "eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms."

>23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. "Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art."

Boston City Hall has some GOAT interiors, pic related

The only reason that people don't like it more is that all the people who work in it are classless dindus and mic townies who are miffed that it doesn't feel like their triple-decker inside.

t. Boston born and raised.

We have some GOAT brutalist architecture here, from Corbu's Art's building at Harvard to the Pei buildings at MIT and the Christian Science Center to the Paul Rudolph complex a block or two from City Hall.

but kahn was a genius.
inept gen x architects just try to rip him off.

and we arent saying concrete is bad.
brutalism isn't bad either, but it's definitely not meant to be calming in any way.

My friends have made that comparison before.

>he doesnt want his own raft made out of funoodles
it's like you just hate having a good time.

kek I went to Chicago we had a similar brutalist library. I hate it for all it stands for, but you have to realize the postmodern floor-to-ceiling glass is as much a testament to double and triple pane tinted glass and four-pipe modern HVAC as anything.

sure. I grew up in a brick colonial though and would prefer that over any other style if given a choice.

That's what I'm saying though

Kahn, Le Corbusier, Pei, Rudolph, Breuer, and countless more utterly fucking fantastic brutalist architects (even some of the British and Canadian ones) are dragged down by all the shitty knock-offs that are out there.

I was an architecture student at one point, and the more you begin to delve into basic theory, the more the genius of the brutalists becomes apparent.

It's just that most of the public doesn't have the time or patience to even begin to try and understand it, much less appreciate it, and we're so programmed to like traditional shit that we don't recognize the just-as-plentiful shit traditional architecture for what it is.

Sure, most everyday people love Justin Bieber, Rihanna, or Florida Georgia Line, and would think that Animal Collective or [insert your favorite obscure band/style here] is ugly incomprehensible noise, but that doesn't make the throngs of people gobbling down corporate pop, country, and R&B somehow have more developed or valid taste than your average musical junkie who has moved past the dreck and into stuff with more aesthetic substance.

>just glass my shit up senpai

When are we finally going to see some based futurism in the real world?

I've met Koolhaas, and other than being an /r9k/-tier Aspergers case, the guy knows his shit.

Just look up the design methodology for the library, where he breaks it down graphically into the key components of its program (aka, the # of square footage dedicated to different uses), then stacks those squares in such a way that they connect in the most organic way possible to facilitate the flow of people through the space.

You stretch a glass box around the weird, disjointed but functional shape that you now have and voila!

Seattle Public Library.

yeah, ive seen those diagrams. Still don't get how all those cantilevers work

Where can I go to look at pictures of good interior design?

I went to several subreddits and they were predictably cancer. Mostly either stupid vintage shit or stupid cheap glass-and-plastic pretend futuristic shit.

>ctrl+f
>Jews
>phrase not found

Seriously? Jews are famously garbage at aesthetics and have spatial reasoning skills a full standard deviation lower than the average. They cannot create.

you have as much time as you need to to tell me why this picture I made is modern art and why it isn't as good as

or
these faggots. I'm genuinely curious if I should become a modern artist.

The building was a structural engineering nightmare and certain sections were incapable of supporting themselves until they were completed.

But Koolhaas played with the arrangement of the masses to create those cantilevers because the dude just loves cantilevers and negative space.

His best building is pic related, the never-built Museum Plaza in Louisville. Some god-tier futurism that only got killed by the 2008 financial crisis.

>to build these raw concrete techno-cathedrals of the 20th century that might last in the same way that their stone forebears have.
>concrete
When our society is africanized and minorities are put in charge of maintaining infrastructure things will start to decay. First a power outage every other month, then weekly, then daily. First the the power for excess lighting, fountains and giant electrical billboards will go, then the heating.

Then the moisture will set in, mold will start to spread and, it will seep into the concrete and after decades it will reach the reinforcing steel. The rebar will start to rust, slowly turning the skeleton that supports your giant ''techno-cathedrals'' into spongy, soft, expanding mush. Then after centuries they will collapse and wither away into heaps of gravel that is slowly recovered by nature. Millennia will pass and there will nothing left except another layer of strange soil with an unusual high concentration of iron and scraps of plastic.

But the stone ruins of great cathedrals, castles and temples that our ancestors built hundreds and thousands of years ago will still be there. Standing tall for millenniums to come.

The people who walk these lands thousands of years from now will not see see the degenerate architecture from the modern age but will instead marvel over the ancient temples in Greece, the Norman castles in England, the Romanesque cathedrals in Italy the Gothic churces in Germany and the Renaissance buildings in France. Perhaps they will stop for a moment and contemplate about the geniuses that must have inhabited this continent before them, blissfully ignorant about the buffoons that inherited it.

And that, at least, gives me a little bit of solace.

This is literally the ideal house to spend the rest of your life in you fucking nigger

>>go to garbage dump
>>find some foam
>>tie it together with rope
>GENIUS
That would literally be better. They prolly paid top dollar for the finest sustainably sourced foam.

This looks like something Donald Trump would build.

Best building coming thru

>Reinforced concrete will rust from within and inevitably collapse over the next thousand or so years

yeah, about that...

pantheon was unreinforced breh
the walls are like 5 feet thick

utterly transcendent, this piece truly evokes the ennui of modern society

More greats from uptown Manhattan

my bad

not reinforced with iron.

The pillars of most big brutalist buildings are easily that thick as well.

Most of their architects designed them to turn to ruins exactly as the cathedrals, castles, and abbeys did.

They're gonna be here for a while...

pure concidence shabbos goyim

Yeah I'm from the area. Almost all of the train stations are brutalist to some end. I really like the layout of Quincy overall, 90s vibes all around.

All you need to succeed in any industry is to find a customer who will pay you for your work.

Alewife would be beautiful if the dindu nuffins at the T actually maintained it.

I grew up in Davis square in the late 80's, and Davis as well as the (then) new Harvard Station were both comfy AF.

Modern art is literally a scam. It's just playing on the pretentiousness of the rich elite that buy things to seem fashionable and up to date.

Shit, even people like Warhol were doing it. He was literally insulting the people who bought his "art", it was (((literally))) cheap, mass produced, shallow shit. That was the point. Everything he did was a fucking critique of modern society and what the art world had become, and people STILL ate it up and made him rich and incredibly famous.

Some London "artist" a while back was selling canvases painted in solid colours for millions. Literally just a canvas painted solidly red, for example. For millions of pounds.

Its funny because a lot of the time, hipster liberals fall for the scam and end up "appreciating" it too, when its actually made specifically for people with more money than sense. It's shallow art for the elite, that the plebs who consider themselves the proletariat and enlightened worship.

Alewife is nice

They did the dirty to Government Station. I thought pol would enjoy this masterpiece :^)

Easy answer:

When modernism was picking up, people really did prefer the simplistic designs over the ornate and heavily ornamentated buildings and styles of the past. When the neoclassical style was in two decades before, these buildings, erected like monuments, seemed to simply follow a formula to emulate historic buildings of past. New building technology was quickly moving on and the forcing buildings to follow classical rules became so unnecessary.

To design a building with such a simplistic look was so unnatural at that time.

The largest change in architectural history (it really is) inspired so many people to pursue this style. The problem with the modern architecture is that it is very easy subject to complete. Once we figure out the most simplistic, and clean looking style, the only way to differentiate is to go against the modern style. So these artists are stuck with coming up with odd and usually unrealistic creations to further the modern style in their own way.

The incubators of the industry favored the weird. The societal tradition honored the popular artists. An economical excercise in concrete became a push for brutalism. A preference in glass façades became repetitive indistinguishable corporate office blocks.

I don't know how to solve these issues. The current style is to come up with complex computer generated shapes that defy gravity, and I am taken to task as a Structural Engineer to hold up these irregular shapes, as money is no issue, and has not been an issue for at least two decades. What happens when the people decide supposed great monuments really just look like a pair of pants or a penis, or a cheese grater, and thus an eyesore? What happens when we have already covered every geometric shape? Where do we go from here?

I'll give you 6 million shekels for it.

You need to be able to sell yourself.

It's not about whats on display. It's about the name you can make for yourself; where you manage to get your work displayed.

No one would actually buy it if your name was steve and you were a mechanic for 10 years before realizing you could do this shit and make millions.

R8 my masterpiece.

I actually really like the boxy architecture, I don't know if I'm a faggot or what. I jusT REALLY fucking hate traditional architecture and design, and Victorian most of all. It just feels like it's trying too hard to be impressive, pic related, the original McMansion, and one of the ugliest houses I've ever seen.

ill giv you a million for it if you smear some poo on it

gud

2/10 too much pixels

Like this?