/prod/ General

Centennial Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting, and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

fo.am/midimutant/
clyp.it/mzitvl0z
clyp.it/wtznh0ld
youtube.com/watch?v=_Moy3kntvMg
clyp.it/fiup2xi4
clyp.it/vcvnbeah
clyp.it/iyotc4og
github.com/yeeking/dx7-programmer
github.com/yeeking/deepvstprogrammers
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV
clyp.it/2ddj5pmp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

im unhappy and synthesizers dont help

you need to boost the serotonin operator

fo.am/midimutant/

This is a program made for a Raspberry Pi that takes an input sound, like an instrument sample, and then generates a bunch of random DX7 presets, compares them all to the target sound using MFCC analysis, picks the closest one, makes random alterations of that, compares, randomizes, repeat.

It's really neat, too bad it's not out yet. Check out the sound examples.

Does anyone know of another program that'll generate synth patches to match a desired sound?

dx7 is very buchla esq desu. slap some lpgs on it and you could sell it to gearfags for $$$.

how do make music like grimes do

you have to smell bad and use ableton

I've been trying to produced some industrial hip-hop and I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't really know what I'm doing going in to making a track, I don't any idea what I want it to sound like. I just fuck around and keep the stuff that sounds good.

Can anyone offer some constructive criticism on these tracks? They're the only ones of my experiments that I think have anything worthwhile in them and I want to know what ideas I can work on.
clyp.it/mzitvl0z
clyp.it/wtznh0ld

i don't know if it's just the genre but the timing on some of those drums seem off

i'm a beginner myself

ah i remember seeing that frequency rolloff button. thanks for the explanation man

That's because I wrote it with 5 steps per beat instead of 4 to try to give it a sort off kilter feel.

oops that makes sense

using smelly underwear as pop filter

using thinly sliced prosciutto. or a donut

do /prod/ rate underbelly?

youtube.com/watch?v=_Moy3kntvMg

boring faggot

these mf doom lyrics are looking pretty good

lmao should i keep trying to record this shit or start looking for a internet singer
clyp.it/fiup2xi4

suicide is an option

You think you can just download a DAW, install a couple of VSTs and PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS?

Agreed. He takes forever to make a point. He needs an editor.

Try it with an increased playback speed, I find most tutorials fare better sped up.

clyp.it/vcvnbeah
rate this
besides the singing performance, that is

anyone have experience with a roland sh201? i have an interest in one since i see one on craigslist for a good price. is 240$ worth it? i have a electribe and have used microbrute and microkorg regularly in the past. ive wanted a full keyboard synth but am not too picky and dont have a huge budget.

gfo needs to be cranked at a higher rate

>mfw i torrented dozens of VST's and saved probably over 1000 dollars

clyp.it/iyotc4og

tried to go for that super blown out south florida type 808 here....failed pretty badly apparently

I found a couple by Matthew Yee-King, one is genetic for DX7 using Dexed and one uses deep neural networks for apparently any VST you want.

github.com/yeeking/dx7-programmer

github.com/yeeking/deepvstprogrammers

I hope I can get at least the first one running.

Hey boys i've been hunting for a yamaha vss 30 vst and havent had any luck.

Also what do you lot us for a autotune vocodor thing?

why nobody replies me

whoopps didnt meant to quote

I fucked up.
My life's been a mess since graduating high school a few years ago due to depressionmeme and a few false starts with education. About a year ago I decided I'd go for a bachelor's in music with a focus on technology instead of just going to a cc or using online tutorials because getting a well-rounded music education is important to me and I want a degree.

After procrastinating all year, the portfolio's due in 20 days and I have holiday plans. I have no experience or background with technology but I'm looking at some reaper tutorials. I know some music theory and can play instruments. How unrealistic is it to think I can throw something together by then?

It looks like it's literally just a sampler, I don't see where the problem lies. You could maybe try TAL-Sampler which has built-in lo-fi effects if you don't want to just put it in the effects chain.

Well there's Autotune which is obvious, Melodyne for doing things that need to be manually moved around and aligned with manual pitch bends and all that and also polyphonic tuning, and Kerovee which is free and is capable of sounding very robotic and gritty.

Why get a shitty VA when you could get a kick ass rompler like the JV 2080 for the same price.

j dilla busts out banger beats in 10-15 minutes and he did that 12 hours a day

>reaper

Install Ableton and if you follow the standard youtube tutorial route you should be able to produce 1-2 dece tracks a week, implying that you put in hours and not just dick around sending snapchats of your keyboard

the middle guitar section was rad. Dont mind ya voice but its not in key i think, feels like it doesnt match the song.

Maybe pitch them down? outro is good

What are college level electronic classes like? I've heard that they expect things to be non pulsed and fine art music.

i wouldn't know yet, but i'm sure the goal is to give you a foundation in all the skills you'd need to make what you want to make eventually. a lot of people who get into film/video game music are composition majors and they might have higher standards for the musical aspects and go more depth into genres you care less about

anyone updated yet to Live 10? I'm only now understanding Live 9 after 2 years of using it.....

unableton

What's wrong with Reaper?

ableton is for fucking faggots. the only two daws worth mentioning are pro tools and FL

do you not know about cubase and logic pro?

i haven't used those so that means they're shit daws

What do you do if you've got a synth lead melody that has crowded frequencies that rub up against each other? It sounds too resonant and crowded

lol

Haven't installed it yet, but from what I've seen it looks pretty much the same.
You'll just have to get used to that "Automation mode" stuff, but for the rest I think it hasn't changed.

OP

include the prod pastebin next time

pastebin.com/08mwwiAV

what album, geidi primes has asian melodies recorded lofi, software drums with broken-tier rhythms, and harmony is achieved through layering of vocals

then you just sing like a retard on top of that

Thinking of buying my first synth, I'm torn between the Roland SH-01A and the Korg MS20. I've heard the ms20 somewhat of a steep learning curve which I don't mind too much. Which one should I buy? My budget is about $600 but I could go over if there's another alternative

I'd probably go for a korg minilogue instead; it's not monophonic, and it's analogue so it will sound pretty nice.

MS20 shouldn't have that steep of a learning curve if you want it though. There's no menu diving and everything is laid out on the faceplate.

I hope you're still alive man

What if we tuned each instrument in a track a few cents apart to avoid them occupying the same frequencies?

Nice meme -____-

Change the melody or change the patch. Probably the patch

kek

T R A N C E
R
A
N
C
E

I literally took a signal processing course. I learned about Fourier Transforms, all kinds of filters, modulation, mixers etc.

I even used MatLab.

I thought this shit would be useful in music production but I open up a software synth and I have no fucking idea what's going on. What is up with these interfaces?

Analog synths are at least intuitive, digital seems to be trying to replicate them but fails hard. I'd honestly rather use math on pen and paper at this point.

Well first of all analog/digital =/= hardware/software

Second
Lol

Degrees are worthless. Experience is everything.

Sorry I meant software not digital. Here's an example of the shit I'm talking about. This is horrible. I've looked around a bit more and there are a few decent soft synths but most of them are really badly designed and seem to miss features that are common to all synths.

You're partly right, experience is just as important as theory.

But I have a lot of experience with actual instruments, as well as music theory, and there was a nice bridge between theory and practice there.

Here instead there seems to be a mismatch. I took the class to learn some theory while I started my electronic music journey, and the theory does not complement the practice at all.

Theory in electronic music production should be a manual for these plugins or some shit.

Making a lil tune with plucky arps, what should I do next with it? thinking of layering some pizicatto harmor chords.

whoops, forgot my clyp
clyp.it/2ddj5pmp

you have to work w one daw for the rest of your life

cubase
logic
pro tools
fl

pick one

fl because free updates ;)

FL studio because it's intuitive and you can do everything you can do on ableton but much faster.

cubase because its what I know best

FL because it's pretty, easy to use, and

tfw can't afford an s950

If you wanna be an autistic engineer using software, just use max msp. It's what autechre uses.

doesnt have as much resources for electronic producing

hey

either that or you're a shit producer?

>>mfw i torrented dozens of VST's and saved probably over 1000 dollars

mate you’ve not saved a penny as you weren’t ever going to buy them anyway, come on man try to keep up

As someone who has used Microsoft excel to do Fourier Transforms and then use the data from those to generate .wav files that are actually musical, you're being a fucking mong.

You took a *SIGNAL PROCESSING COURSE*, not a *SYNTHESIS* course. Learning about the time/frequency domain puts you at a huge advantage in music production, and having an understanding of the maths behind it all is certainly useful, but neither of those are a replacement for actually learning how to use the tools that are out there.

Let's talk about the synth you're using as an example here, Harmor. If you read pretty much anything about it (*cough* the manual *cough*), then you'll know that it is an additive synth. That basically means it is starting in the frequency domain, before doing an inverse FFT into the time domain. It achieves this effect by generating 512 independent sin waves. It then offers a very great deal of control over those sin waves by making extensive use of what's called a line editor (the blue graph taking up most of the bottom right corner). Virtually every parameter in the synth can be very easily controlled with its own modulation on the line editor, and as a bonus, there are also controls over eazch harmonic that can be done in the line editor (like Local EQ, which affects the volume of each sine based on what you draw in it). All those knobs that you can't be bothered to read give you controls over 2 filters (that actually work before it converts to time domain, meaning they are essentially perfect linear phase filters but with none of the problems with linear phase), unison, a phaser, an automatic filter envelope, a unique harmonizer, an extremely unique process called prism, tremlo, harmonic blurring, controls for the phases of each harmonic, and volume controls for the bottom 3 harmonics. You also have the option to add a B version, effectively giving you double all of these controls.

How would you rather this be laid out?

Maschine master race pls

>tfw hooked casio dg-20 to volca FM

also what would be a good 90s laptop to run cubase midi?

RTFM

windows XP embedded POSReady on an old thinkpad

Any guitar players in these threads? What do you guys have in your home studios?

Marshall mg30, fender bassman tube head, tweed champ clone. a few strats, les pauls, a tele and a squier 70s bass.

I use a behringer condenser mic and SM57 a small mixer straight to my PC.

For acoustic i use a ZOOM H2

How the fuck do I just drag an audio file into the playlist? it's impossible.

Good post

I just bought a Moog Mother 32

what am I in for

I don't believe you. Can you prove the purchase of sad unit

Very expensive but it is a Moog so you just know it is worth it.

Is gearslutz a reputable resource for production?

I've looked at their discussion occasionally when googling something, and from what I have seen it seems like a shithole.

The absolute state of DJs

Probably a fun time. Depends how much you like moog sound specifically, and how radically you're going to patch it.
I haven't been on gearslutz in like 2 years, but I remember it being really mixed.

Does anyone know where I can download the Nexus VST for free?

I would really try to support the developers

ah, yes. I know, but I am actually really broke just wanted to check it out, it's OK though I'll wait and get it when I can

who else gives bad advice on purpose to mislead strangers on the music section of an east african female circumcision board?

I never take any of the advice provided here because every is a poorfag and music production is expensive.

Youre not alone. everyone here does that

Also, the entire process of music production is a subjective experience. There is no "right" way to do it.

>post anti modular and analog sentiments
>actually use and enjoy both on a regular basis

Fucking why dude refx is the literal shittiest thing to happen to dance music