Why weren't there any battle scenes in The Force Awakens on par with this one?

Why weren't there any battle scenes in The Force Awakens on par with this one?

They had a massive budget, what went wrong?

youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zGwDwx10wB4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because they had to pay Harrison Ford $35 million

The real question is why aren't any space battles on par with ROTJ's?

Don't even think ROTS' shit is anywhere enar the level of ROTJ's space battle.

Why the hell was Harrison in Episode 6 again? After they unfroze him, he contributed nothing to the plot. He was just a background character.

TFA battle scene and ROTJ battle are exactly equal. TFA just seemed smaller because it happened over a big planet instead of a space station orbiting a moon

>Why the hell was Harrison in Episode 6 again?
Because people loved Han Solo. Both Ford and Kasdan wanted to kill off the character.

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet there will be a bigger scale fleet vs fleet space battle in one of the sequels.

It really is the best space battle ever in a movie. Yet to be topped.

>Don't even think ROTS' shit is anywhere enar the level of ROTJ's space battle.
But it is.
The CGI is bad meme needs to end.

>Why weren't there any battle scenes in The Force Awakens on par with this one?
Ask the same question about the prequels. Those closest we get is in revenge of the sheev, and you see it for six seconds before our protagonist dip the fuck out to have shenanigans with buzz droids instead.

>the Nu-Empire has a more giant army than the actual Republic """Resistance"""

The Solo-Chewbacca brodom is one of the most legendary in film history. It is so iconic that it's the crutch of the entire 7th film in every way. If Ford wasn't an old ass man I bet you he wouldn't have even died.

Star Wars is so fucking gay

>I bet you he wouldn't have even died.
He only did TFA if they agreed to kill his character. He didn't even really want to come back for Jedi.

the battle of endor is one of the greatest space battles in TV history not just because of the epic spaceship action itself, but because we're emotionally invested. we care about the rebels fighting on endor, we care about lando leading the charge against the death star and we're on the edge of our seats when luke confronts the emporer.

I didn't care about anything in ep7.

What the hell are you talking about? He led the ground assault on Endor to deactivate the shield generators protecting the Death Star.

This

ROTS Opening scene bro

Did you even read the second sentence, of his two sentence post.

>ground assault on Endor
You mean the parts where the entire movie stops dead in its tracks?

I did, I'm saying i think it's better

It's not a question of whether the CGI in the ROTS battle was good. It's more a question of "Who cares?" The viewer has no compelling interest in the battle because there's literally NO ONE TO ROOT FOR. Both sides of the battle are controlled and manipulated by the same guy.

With the ROTJ battle, it was a clear distinction--rebels vs. the Evil Empire. If the good guys win, you get freedom...if the bad guys win, all hope of freedom is lost and you're worse off than when you started. The stakes were incredibly high, and you (the viewer) had a reason to care about the outcome.

ROTS, on the other hand, was a pitched battle between CGI clone troopers and faceless "Separatists" whose motivations were murky at best.

what the hell are they doing there?
Also, how can a human be so close to a laser that can destroy entire planets and not melt down?

>ROTS, on the other hand, was a pitched battle between CGI clone troopers and faceless "Separatists" whose motivations were murky at best.
Not to mention besides the only thing you see is the opening shot. After that its abandoned for wacky hijinks on the iron fist. Whereas Jedi it's a special effects marvel you cut back and forth from to illustrate the rising action, and as a ticking clock to create dramatic tension. Plus it has such a great fucking twist and one of the greatest lines of dialogue in the franchise youtu.be/zGwDwx10wB4

What's the battle in sith got? A call back to HIT THE NOSE!?

I always assumed the green halo around the laser was some kind of containment field or something.

>This fucking back tracking on ROTJ
Are you serious? Again, you need to remember it because it's true - the only good thing about the final act was Luke, Vader and Palpatine. The space battle had all the same problems the Force Awakens had

The Death Star battle was unoriginal and a direct copy of ANH only with a lot less investment
None of the characters meant anything. Sure, they seem like major characters now because of Star Wars being such a massive brand but there isn't one character in the space battle that you care about.
The ending doesn't even mean that much as everything on Endor and everything with Luke and Vader has had more put into it.

If you like this space battle you should also like TFA's space battle. They're both exactly the same.

That was such a shitty scene, ruined the opening. It broke the pace of the space battle, it adds nothing to the story and was boring.

>a direct copy of ANH
>If you like this space battle you should also like TFA's space battle.

Why the fuck do these Disney shils keep spreading their blatant lies?

Space battles are a patriachal construct and extremely mysoginist, since not all women can fly a spaceship.

>it adds nothing to the story
IT INFORMS THE AUDIENCE THAT THE REBELS ARE WALKING INTO A TRAP

I love ROTS and think the intro is one of the best opening to a film action packed, looks great, introduces what the fuck is going on.

But this one user is right, there's no emotional investment. Even Obi leaving guys to die for reasons it's not got a real impact.
In ROTS it's just another battle, a superpower against another superpower.

But in ROTJ, it's all or nothing now, a last act of desperation.
"LOL JKs REBELS, IT'S A TRAP" Was a big thing, quite the O SHIT moment.

>for reasons
They're disposable fake people bred to die in combat. Anakin deciding to go back and save him is the more confusing part.

maybe, maybe...