/cyc/ - TdF stage 2 - RIP Valverde edition

195km flat stage into Belgium

Thomas in yellow
Valverde broken knee
Izagirre also dead. Broken back

Other urls found in this thread:

fredericgrappe.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/vortex.pdf
npo.nl/live/npo-1
cyclingtips.com/2017/07/thermal-imaging-cameras-use-prevent-motors-tour-de-france/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Route: a ride up the Neander valley, better known as the Neandertal, the limestone canyon that gave its name to the early humanoid discoveries. An early climb will reward any breakaways or at least one rider gets one point at the top but the second climb later on also offers one point (if two riders are tied on one point the polka dot jersey goes to the better placed rider on GC). Both climbs are just over a kilometre long and just over 4%, a big gear sprint. So are the other bumps on the profile above, the profile shows the course getting hillier but there’s nothing vicious. This visits Liege but without the steep and narrow climbs we associate with April’s Ardennes week. The intermediate sprint has a tight bend in town with 800m to go but it’s on a wide road before a slight rise to the line.

The Finish: fast and flat. The race approaches Liège from the south-west via the Vesdre valley along the N61 road and rides into town on a big road with no sharp corners, just the occasional central divider in the road to worry about. The principal danger comes from the riders fighting for position in this tense contest. The final 3km are on one road that’s flat to the finish.

looks like no one gives a shit about this semen slurping sport lmao

>using pedals

Sky up to their usual tricks getting 4 men in the top 10

fredericgrappe.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/vortex.pdf

>Avec une diminution du SCx de 5% avec les bandes de vortex de chaque côté des bras, le gain de puissance est de 24 W soit un gain de temps de 18 sec sur le chrono de Düsseldorf. Avec une diminution du SCx de 7%, le gain de puissance est de 33 W soit un gain de temps de 25 sec.

I don't think porte can win boys

1. Thomas
2. Froome +0:12
3. Latour +0:25
4. Gesink +0:31
5. Yates +0:37
6. Porte +0:47
7. Quintana +0:48
8. Majka +0:49
9. Talansky +0:49
10. Martin +0:49
11. Pinot +0:50
12. Bardet +0:51
13. Aru +0:52
14 Contador +0:54
15. Fuglsang +0:54
16. Uran +1:03
17. Landa +1:08

>muh motors

Greg LeMond has piled further pressure on Sir Dave Brailsford, describing his answers to questions pertaining to Team Sky’s past use of Therapeutic Use Exemptions, painkillers and the infamous Jiffy bag sent out to France in 2011 as “bulls---”.

The three-time Tour de France champion has also repeated his concerns at the potential for mechanical doping in the sport, accusing the UCI, cycling’s world governing body, of failing to take the issue seriously enough.

>LeMond told the CBS show 60 Minutes last winter that he found the Sky bike used for a team trial at the 2015 Tour suspicious. According to 60 Minutes, French authorities found that Sky were the only team that day with heavier bikes, each about 800 grams more. LeMond noted that that was the exact weight of a motor that can allegedly be hidden inside the hub of the back wheel.

>A Team Sky spokesman told CBS the team never used mechanical assistance, saying time trial bikes might be heavier to allow for better aerodynamics and adding that all Sky bikes were checked and cleared by the International Cycling Union (UCI).

>“You don’t have a bike that weighs 1kg more for a TTT,” LeMond told The Sunday Telegraph. “Maybe it’s more aerodynamic but I doubt it.

>It’s difficult. I don’t want to open up a can of worms. I actually hate to bring it up as people look at you like you are talking about UFOs, like ‘Here goes Greg again’ but I do really worry about mechanical doping. It is so easy to do. The riders might not even know they have them on their bikes. They could be operated remotely.

>I worry that the authorities just don’t have the appetite to stop it. It would actually be very easy to stop. The technology needed [to detect motors] is not cheap – the proper equipment would cost around $1.5million (£1.13million) – but they just don’t seem to be taking it seriously

I don't believe this for a second. No way you could get away with it.

is there usually a youtube stream of race or can you only watch it on tv?

Can anyone beat Kittel today lads? What do we expect from Cav and Sagan?

I don't think there's YouTube but definitely other streams around.

LeMond is literally insane. Guaranteed he watches youtube videos and tells everyone about the conspiracies and cover-ups he's just discovered. THEY'VE CURED CANCER ALREADY.

Good afternoon lads, time for comfy.
Can't watch the whole race with you unfortunately, as I'll go for snooker practice this afternoon. But I'll be back for the finish for sure.

Cav usually takes a few stages to get his sprinting legs going...and even more so this year I would expect.

Demare has been sprinting well.

>I'll go for snooker practice this afternoon.
Based. Hope to see you at the Crucible next year.

nos.nl streams fellow dutchbro

Lets go

npo.nl/live/npo-1

calling it already

As spectator maybe. Had my first lesson last sunday. But I'm loving it. Practicing almost every day and getting noticeably better every time.
It's a great hobby to have.

>The riders might not even know they have them on their bikes. They could be operated remotely.
kek, Greg has gone full tinfoil. I'm an absolute hack and I would KNOW if I there was a fucking motor in my bike.

I would not want to watch the whole stage. 5 hours on a flat stage. Going out for a cycle myself.

THANKS JUAN

snooker is not a hobby. how dare you.

I'm not that hype for this year lads.

Vroom looks like he's somehow still in great shape and Sky seems Discovery Channel levels of dominant.

Quintana is a boring midget and with Valverde dead will be exposed as not that great.

>Porte
lol

>Contador
Rode his ass off and only got like the 65th time (at the time). Mollema was coasting and hardly did worse. Trusting this old spanish midget to lead the time was the dumbest thing they could have done.

last year greg said Froome pedalled too fast, and you can't accelerate with high cadence. he's legit mentally retarded.

Good, lad. Keep it up.

It's called being American :^)

ALLE MENSCHEN WERDEN BRÜDER

Makes you proud to be English.

The Danish TV2 Studio looks amazing

Laura :3

That building they're at is giving me anxiety. Jesus.

Dooseldorf looks beautiful

Are you guys having fun watching this?

>Doping is treason to your fans! We want a clean sport!

lel

no

fuck yeah. and this isn't even the most exciting part of the stage.

would have fun watching the stages uninterrupted by all this preshow/extra/behind the stages/interview fucking shit

>nobody punching that runner in the head

Yep. Feeling laidback and comfy. That's how I like watching sports.

AAAAAAAAA that overhang

oh nice. I'll use that

yeah i'm not going near that

I don't understand how that can physically work.

/valverde/ :(

Nobody does, mate. We just have to accept it.

Would look better without it

DEPART

That mirror thing looks like that thing in Chicago

>juan commentating

/comfy/

So do you like my city?

Honestly if Vroom wasn't there this Tour would be way more hype.

And if Sky actually puts out the dominance I could see the other teams start colluding to try and dethrone them. Other riders know that this type of dominance ain't good for any teams but Sky.

>Doubting the GOAT

The sight of Alberto Contador sitting up during the climbs on the Criterium du Dauphine was a worrying one for his fans - but was actually part of his new strategy to win a third Tour de France title.Contador used to be one of a very few riders who went out for victory and nothing else when they pinned a race number on their back. This time he has switched to a different approach, one adopted by three-time champion Chris Froome: use all other races just to prepare for the Tour.The Spaniard said his all-for-the-Tour strategy should mean he starts the race fresher than ever.

Polkadots for Phinney almost guaranteed.

>German nationalism on the rise

> Dumoulin toilet

kek

Phinney the hipster

kek, saved

Are we going to have a crash caused by a motorcycle in this tour de france y/n?

on this stage, or in the whole race?

yes and yes.

>everybody writing off this race before it begins
On Saturday everybody said this was the closest race for years.
Going by odds, recently Froome has been just over evens for the tour. 50% chance.
This year he was 7/4, 36%.
After yesterday, he's evens.

I think that's a great bet, but it's not even started yet. The problem for the neutrals is lolPorte.

y
1/10 shot

>tfw no qt time-gap gf

>mfw G holds onto the yellow jersey for the entire tour

top kek

the motor stuff could be real though.
On low tier pro race some journalist used IR camera to spot a potential use of a motor and tere were some shady stuff

fuck year the first castle of this tour

Anybody else hate the new tv graphics?

Reminder that this is your average house in Europe

Yeah. I didn't like the old one but I don't like any change

cyclingtips.com/2017/07/thermal-imaging-cameras-use-prevent-motors-tour-de-france/

also handheld scanners

It's just a di2 battery about to overheat. Stop with the accusations already.

But there already was one before that.

I kinda like them.

At the bridge Yall Need anything?

Dutch commentators talking about Neutral Moresnet. Ebin. Obscure history just around the corner.
Last time I checked there was one person born in Neutral Moresnet still alive.

is there any eurosport acestream?

>blocks your path

sure it could. i've little doubt they have been used in races.
used by elite teams in elite races? i have a lot of doubt. getting caught with that is something a team would never ever recover from. the reward is not nearly worth the risk.

no, köln is much better

That's a big crowd.

Memes

>But there already was one before that.

missed that one, had to go take a shit. This is the first one for me, so time to get comfy. I generally google stuff when watching the tour - makes it educational.

jesus christ he is insufferable

i suppose its because he will never live up to his mother or father

he is insecure as fuck

>Tour de France and Wimbledon sharing 2 same weeks when it's usually only one

>toothpaste had to go poo
really makes you think

I need you to greentext the road, but I know you won't.

Gimi pls

what did they mean by this?

mate, it's just a moustache. you seem to have overreacted.

Here's to a race with more memes

WE

I would if i had something to write with

WUZ