I know I'm late to the inevitable trainwreck from p4k for their AOTY list, but Jesus Christ...

I know I'm late to the inevitable trainwreck from p4k for their AOTY list, but Jesus Christ. It's not that I was expecting them to pick something else, but the only other competition I had in mind was Crow, and somehow that got put at 14th. What?
These people also need to do some more digging if they want to make an AOTY list that's not predictable and shitty. Or they did the digging but didn't include the albums they found because they weren't as talked-about.
Fuck me for still caring enough to make this post.

T. fell for the dead wife meme.

But really, just blind yourself to all things Pitchfork. It's good to be in touch with culture, but they force cultural trends harder than Phil forced those lyrics about his wife.

>Hip Hop albums that came out in 2017 that are better than DAMN

crow wasn't that good music wise. why would they give it aoty

>his deeply cerebral rap

cringe

this one

Why do normalfags think Kendrick is deep? Deep means there are layers and layers to peel dig through. Kendrick's songs are very basic and direct. There's literally nothing to uncover, it's all straightforward and to the point.

Now Death Grips on the other hand, you really have to analyze the lyrics. I bet none of you at first knew what "Rita lifted ocean" meant. But it becomes one of the coolest lyrics ever when you finally understand.

why do you still read pitchfork

This is unironically the hip hop aoty for me this year

>Rita lifted ocea
Explain.

>Now Death Grips on the other hand, you really have to analyze the lyrics. I
not this shit again. you autist even found some book about these french philosophers or w/e that connected to dg.
that was a funny time on Sup Forums

>some book about these french philosophers or w/e that connected to dg.
If you wouldn’t mind elaborating

"noided" is actually linked to the Chewa word noidabungo, which was used by africans to signify how the white man was holding them down

Rita lifted ocean. Think about it. What kind of Rita can possibly be that strong? You have to really use your intellect to figure it out. This is the difference between Kendrick and Death Grips. You have to actually think to decipher MC Ride's lyrics. Kendrick's lyrics are only deep to "woke" underage white girls.

"Got the DNA of gothic lemons"

Brainlets will never figure out what he meant by that. Meanwhile all of Kendrick's lyrics are shallow and simple.

>once you figure out what he means by that the curtains of your shitty life will open into a wonderland

That at least made the list. It's not better than anything on that chart either.

>he couldn't figure it out

Hi, brainlet.

Tyler

Brockhampton > Tyler and any Odd Future shit

>If you wouldn’t mind elaborating
Tiqqun magazine and pic related.
all this happening during JENNY DEATH WHEN?
phase.

Newfag

But you didn't explain it.

That also made the list. It's not better than anything on that chart either.

Only a newfag would prefer cringe worthy Tyler over Brockhampton. You're the newfag.

No, Tyler released a great album this year. Bockhampton released three decent ones.

How is Tyler cringe worthy but Brockhampton is not?
Have you even listened to Flower Boy??

loyalty loyalty loyalty (incoherent mumbling)

I did listen to Flower Boy. It's just a generic pop album with weak verses. Tyler is still a very underwhelming rapper even though his hooks have gotten catchier. Brockhampton is pretty much what Odd Future tried to be. They have a better sense of humor, they have better rappers, more interesting production. Flower Boy is just a half-assed pop album with forgettable, 4/10 rapping thrown in. Brockhampton's albums are way better than Tyler's.

>generic pop
Oh no, it's retarded

Confirmed that you haven't listened to the album.

It is generic pop. What else would you call it? The hooks are the most cliche and run-of-the-mill shit as you can get. Tyler's verses are very underwhelming and dull as always.

If you want to prove me wrong, how about giving me examples of what's good about the album? Instead of just throwing weak ad hominems

>generic pop
Oh no, it's retarded

>ad hominem with no argument

I don't need to make Tyler's fans look stupid. They do it to themselves. I know exactly why you don't want to talk about the music, because even you know it's bad.

Have you ever considered not caring about what a corporate-shill webzine thinks?

would add Open Mike Eagle and Uncommon Nasa. good list btw.

not that user, and i don't feel strongly that Flower Boy is good, but i feel like there's very little about it that's like saliently awful. at worst it's on the low end of mediocre. what's so bad about it?

Open Mike Eagle made the p4k list so. It's better than DAMN. Uncommon Nasa's 'written at night' does deserve to mentioned though here. Well picked.

>I'm going to listen to that Uncommon Nasa record now again.

That Uncommon Nasa is a really New York record. There's a lot of pain in it derived from the state of the megalopolis.

>generic pop
I like Tyler and Brockhampton, but Brockhampton has more generic pop sounding songs than Tyler's most recent album. Do you have any clue what generic pop even is? Tyler's album had amazing production and unique.

>Why do normalfags think Kendrick is deep?
They don't, his fans do.

Better than DAMN imo

(Not that guy) While it's not straight-up Justin Beiber pop, it's very clearly an attempt at cashing in on trends to keep (a last ditch effort in this case) relevance, which is the essential pop approach imo. That stupid "casual sadboy chilllll positive vibezzz" aesthetic is all the rage right now with slews of garbage """R&B""" one-hit wonders mobbing Frank Ocean. Tyler, whose last album contained maxed-out industrial bass and absurd violent lyrics, is the last person who should be going into that style. it's one thing to change your sound, it's another case when it's so clearly a grab for "wow guys Tyler really matured with this one" which makes very mediocre music look good when you attach a celebrity narrative to it. As an artistic endeavor it's inauthentic, which I can never support.

lol not the guy either, but I'm pretty sure Tyler has said this was the style of music he had wanted to make all along, even though the album really plays into modern trends when you look at Tylers other work it makes sense that evolved into this sound, plus the quality of the album is on point anyways.

t. Saturation fag