ITT: Best prog rock/metal albums

ITT: Best prog rock/metal albums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5JU5_6GE77E
youtube.com/watch?v=taMofykEqLI
youtube.com/watch?v=6UpXjBOBQB8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pretty much anything involving Toby Driver.

youtube.com/watch?v=5JU5_6GE77E

t. tool is prog meme

I’ll agree on 3/4 of their albums, aenima is good tho

youtube.com/watch?v=taMofykEqLI

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

my absolute dude
why this one? I love btbam but this was fairly unimpressive to me

the best

I felt it was more prog then their other stuff, also I prefer Tommy’s smooth vocals in this album

youtube.com/watch?v=6UpXjBOBQB8

huh I liked it less probably because it sounded like Tommy's solo material was getting too blended in with btbam's sound, where I prefer the spastic and visceral metalcore sound of their older outputs.

>you ever drink bailey's out of a shoe?

Yea I get that, I only started listening to them with Parallax 2, so I didn’t get attached to their original sound very much

No one ever mentions that album but I love it.

Also, Pic related.

Yeah that extreme album is incredible, it never gets enough love. Waiting for the punchline is good but I wish they would be stuck with the progressive kick they got into on III Sides

Is it strange that I like James Labrie but can't stand Geoff Tate? For some reason I've always seen queensryche as a poor man's dream theater even though they preceded them.

Basically anything with Portnoy

Eh up to a certain point id say so, his latest efforts seem to be pretty derivative and really just a watered down "portnoy style and fill" fest with nothing too crazy or new. Sons of Apollo is decent, Derek sherinian and bumblefoot are great but I hope they get better on the second album.

Yea psychotic symphony was a tad bit disappointing imho

The synths are tight as hell and theres some great moments but it was pretty underwhelming.

Gretchen goes to nebraska is proggier but the production and tones on this album are killer

Shit a chance to talk about Haken.

Aquarius is my favorite though, the story just resonates with me more than Visions did, which I am somewhat still trying to find out what all happened in between.

Even with Aquarius I had gotten the ending wrong at first but once I realized what had happened it just made it that much more special to me.

I really enjoy the sound and aesthetic of 1985

Yea I love Aquarius, I personally like the sound and story of visions more, but Aquarius is awesome as well. I’d say simply musically i like the mountain the most

Yes

BTBAM has like 6 albums that are better than this one though

/thread

Nice man. This and kezia are 10/10s, couldn't get into as scurrilous as much but volitions great as well

goatest

Agreed. Although I quite liked Scurrilous, I understand the criticism it gets. Volition was probably a step up in terms of songwriting, and I enjoyed it, but for some reason I don't go back to it as often. Their material kinda took a hit when their bassist stopped writing the lyrics. Sucks to see the original lineup didn't stay together forever

yeah arif was a huge part of the sound, shame he didn't stay on.

Agreed.

Not strange at all.

god damn all this btbam and no one even posts their best album

That recent EP of theirs was honestly the worst thing they've ever done. I'm worried about their future. Next album might be a make or break for me.

thanks, I was literally gonna do the same thing. How are their two arguably worst albums posted?

>says the guy posting the TGM

I'd put a few of their releases above TGM, but it's definitely far better than Parallax 2 and Coma Ecliptic.

Their Parallax EP is arguably the best thing they've done since Colors.

Their newer shit is way more prog tho, and I like coma the most bc I don’t like 99 percent screaming unless the instrumentals are godly (Parallax)

>Parallax EP
even the band agrees that is on of their weakest outputs

The albums with Daniel Tompkins are better imo. But they've got a great sound.

source? I thought it was incredible and if it were a full length album it would be debatabley better than Colors. Sucks that Parallax 2 was such a disappointing follow up.

Yes! Sherinian is such a groovy player

Their early material is godlike in its own right
This honestly is some of the best proto-prog deathcore and I beg that you listen to this atleast till you get to the end of Naked by the Computer

Even tho their new album is meh

>all these posts and no riverside yet

Dan said they just pushed out that material as fast as possible once they switched from Victory Records to Metal Blade. IMO Parallax 2 is my fav out of their entire discography and I do love everything they have put out just Parallax 1 you can tell was forced

shit that was supposed to be their selftitled album

It’s lit

The Mountain > Visions > Aquarius > Affinity

Comfy thread is comfy

Imho visions and the mountain are interchangeable but dead on man

>SJW metal

>Piotr will never come back

>tfw I like affinity

Interesting. I think they captured lightning in a bottle with that EP. Colors, TGM, and Parallax EP all felt like they stood on their own and felt refreshing in comparison to the material that came before, but Parallax 2 just felt like more of the same from them. Almost like a Colors2.0, which is something they were always vocal about avoiding.

This album is amazing, one of my personal 10/10s

Just because it’s the worst Haken album doesn’t mean it’s a bad album, I love it still

I do think they went a little overboard with the politics on their later material, but Fortress and Kezia were far from SJW metal.

Yeah, I like it, but it's a step down from their previous output

Ah, was waiting for this. Would've gone with focus myself

This should have been posted so much earlier in the thread :/

Affinity is one of my favorites of theirs, mostly because I really like the 80's prog vibe that most prog revival bands stay away from which IS BULLSHIT

Echostar's EP was pretty fucking dope too

> tfw no one has posted the greatest prog album

I had to post other stuff my dude

Yeah I dig it for that aesthetic, the synths are on point

see

Why was To the Bone so shit

It's only shit if you don't like prog pop like Peter Gariel or Kate Bush

Yea Kingdom and the Crown off that is perfect

devin townsend incoming?