Let's discuss this heat - deceit

let's discuss this heat - deceit.
what makes this album so great?
i think it's the percussion and vocals mostly, and the somewhat experimental yet still relatively accessible songwriting. but everything about it blows me away, i can't get enough.
(please rec me a similar album, i am fucking loving this lately, deceit is my favorite post punk album so far. )

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ScAYeUyY_uk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>what makes this album so great?
its not great. failed experiment tbqh

> i am fucking loving this lately, deceit is my favorite post punk album so far.
here u go
youtube.com/watch?v=ScAYeUyY_uk

why do you think it'sa failed experiment?

>Wire
AKA edgy watered-down shit for college students

also thanks for the rec been meaning to listen to more wire

what do you listen to user?

I'm not falling for that

you think i give a fuck about the theme? the political intention? that doesn't fucking affect the artistic quality of it you massive autist. i bet you think entertainment! is a bad album too

>AKA edgy watered-down shit for college students
perf 4 us then
check out gang of four and mekons also
idk i prefer the S/T more. paper cuts is a 10/10 but the rest of songs to me. but idk i found the sounds they were going especially how krautrock influence it is didn't really impress me. thats entirely subjective tho. so you and many others might find it wonderful.

it's not a trick, genuinely curious. i'm in a great mood today

This is unironically the superior album.

i'm going to listen to it today, already have it downloaded. i listened to deceit first because i heard from a few people that the s/t is wankery, but i think they may have just had shit taste

I like some of the indivual phrases of the album like certain riffs and the rhythmic accompaniment behind them. The band can get really creative with those. I also really like the vocalists approach to harsh vocals which are abrasive like hardcore or extreme metal vocals but more textural than percussive which is fitting for post-punk. BUT, my biggest beef with the album is how goddamn repetitive each song is with non-existent variation. Paper Hats for example doesn't need to be six goddamn minutes long for what's in the end three sections. Also the riffs usually aren't more than a couple measures long each, so there isn't that kind of variety on the album. One last thing I beef with is that the album's just not hard hitting enough for something trying to be this dark. This really just makes it feel like a product of its time with records around it's time and shortly after just trouncing it in hard hitting dark atmosphere particularly in the hardcore punk and no wave genres.

I still prefer Deceit over Chairs. Wire is ok, but they never had that extra something that This Heat had, in my opinion.

>Paper Hats for example doesn't need to be six goddamn minutes long for what's in the end three sections.
Six minutes is nothing, are you kidding me? That's barely enough for them to establish the atmosphere and feel for each individual section. What, would you rather they just went the Mr Bungle route and just crammed as many different sections and styles in as possible? That's not what they were going for, it's not a race.

WE WUZ ALL ROMANZ

thats fine. 154 is my fav wire album. then again i rate music based on how much replay value i give it.

>six minutes is nothing
Why? It's the same damn thing repeated without variation for what? Like 1 minute 30 secs to two full minutes for each riff on that song? Stuff that establishes atmosphere through crazy amounts of repitition doesn't play the exact same thing for so long. Swans, Steve Reich, Burzum, Gas I just gave four completely different examples that know better than to do that.

I am not even saying that they have chaotic structures. But again just more development of the ideas they have. Listen to freaking Unknown Pleasures from Joy Division for example. Many songs on that album repeat their main phrase more than Deceit, but there's some much variety added with slight variations from the guitars usually doing weird jagged shit that's slightly different each time. Or that long krautrock style song on This Heat where there's slight variation in groove and that additional guitar riff before it moves into the next section of the track. Or that loop track on that album where it's just constant variation on one thing. You gotta keep things engaging imo for music to be interesting and good (even music that develops atmosphere since it's never circular usually), which is something Deceit just doesn't do that well.

a lot of people don't like s/t because it's much more experimental than Deceit, with all its dada influences

it feels much more enigmatic and unnerving than Deceit

it is tho

>removes "Independence"
Ahhh much better.

M8 you can't go calling it a failed experiment, and then say you just don't dig it.

Actually, Deceit is one of the few albums I have listened which actually have a clear vision behind their experimentation. It's funny that you mention Wire, since they have this quality too. Deceit uses the atmosphere of each song to reinforce and add shades to the theme/message of each song. The experiment also achieved the creation of a style that can express anger and desspair while staying detached.

The vocal harmonies are a huge part of why I prefer this to their s/t

>Swans

Yep, same. I really, really love how eerie/discordant they sound. Especially on Cenotaph.