context.reverso.net/translation/
thepolyglotdream.com/learning-more-than-one-language-at-the-same-time/
youtube.com/channel/UCK7vjKGoE96qjeAE2EdtUrA
russianforeveryone.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Pw5i-RQKcEY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

bump

¿Qué te parecieron las canciones de ayer?

I'm trying to learn german, I'm at the very start, I'm having issues finding out how to tell when "sie" refers to she, they, and the proper you. Is it purely context based or is there any way to distinguish?

How do you find the energy and focus to study and learn a language?

Just a little bit each day, even 15 minutes, just do it daily and make it into routine.

I try this but after a few months I always end up neglecting it until I don't study anymore at all. I need a foreign gf or something

Try the language exchange sites mentioned earlier, watch movies, read books/comics/whatever in the language you're learning, play games in the language, listen to radio in it, choices aplenty. Just absorb the language, even passively, as much as you can.

Trying to learn French from scratch. So far I've downloaded Rosetta stone and Assimil New French with Ease. Do you think this will be sufficient to gain a basic understanding? Planning to revise 2 hours or so a day.

Yeah, you look at the verb my American buddy

Yo I'm from /cp/ culture pals and honestly I'd recommend trying interpals for foreign exchange. I have a spain spanish qt messaging me in spanish which is helping immersion, and every once in a while I get a faroe qt to message me with grammar tips and pronunciation tips.
Just don't go on our general, they use it purely for getting nudes.

bump

I think I'll give it a try

I was taught english in a institute, but I learn to comprehend it by consuming media in said language. Once you have the basics alright just start watching videos of any topic that you like, play vidya on the language to learn or just visit forums and see how the natives speak. Academical environment it's good but involving yourself in this way is incredible effective. Also try to practice orally, I ended up understanding and writing decently but I speak with really bad pronunciation.

>nudes

All right, I'm in

Has anyone ever found love there?

Some people from /cp/ got married but they were super autistic.

Are you fucking serious!?
I need to use it asap

I talk everyday with a Russian cutie. Wouldn't say its love, but its a nice ego boost knowing there is someone out there that thinks you're worth talking to.

Are there any cute 日本人 grills there?

Rossetta and Assimil will help you a lot in the beginning, specially to be able to distinguish the sounds of the language. After that they pretty much become useless, though, in my experience.

thepolyglotdream.com/learning-more-than-one-language-at-the-same-time/

Mandatory to read.

Interesting. I'm too overwhelmed with 日本語 right now to add another language on top of though.

appreciate you posting these threads, lad :)

estaban bonitas gracias

I mostly know the Cyrillic alphabet and can sorta butcher pronunciation
what next lads

You're probably learning Russian, so have fun with the grammatical cases

ho boy I haven't got anywhere near that, last thing I learnt was the voiced and unvoiced consonants malarkey

うまくいってるのか?

話し相手が欲しいなら付き合ってもいいなんだけど。

you using duolingo and all that?

personally, the further along i got, i felt like i didnt pick up on the grammar fast enough and got a little weighed down by it, so I had to specifically search for the information about the cases

youtube.com/channel/UCK7vjKGoE96qjeAE2EdtUrA

when you're ready check out this lady, her video quality is quite poor, but the information is really good and she teaches in an easy way, that helped me at least

I am still a russian pleb, though lel

No, do verbs first

(//∇//)
Two weeks of studying and all I could get from that is that the top one is a question thanks to the ~か ending. Time for すどく

russianforeveryone.com/

this is a good one, too

>just learned alphabet
>verbs
He's not ready for this shit

Been learning Russian. I think I've got a decent grip on pronunciation and can make my own sentences, but my vocabulary is very limited.

Me alegro

Is it an app you chat through, or do you just exchange info and then chat on kik or email or whatever?

you can chat on the website, i think

you just send each other messages through your profiles

Cool. Might try it once I get to a semi conversational level.

LIFELINE
DON'T DIE

¿Qué planes tienes para el fin de semana?

Bump

probablemente tocaré baloncesto y seguiré aprender nuevas palabras

>two weeks of studying
Ah, sorry about that. I'm used to seeing people who're studying Japanese to be several months into the undertaking already.

To be honest, nothing I said was easy enough to be understandable after two weeks of studying, so good job figuring out what you did.

>tocaré baloncesto
The verb used for sports is "jugar". "Jugaré baloncesto" would be correct.

>seguiré aprender
This formation actually requires the gerund for the main verb ("aprendiendo"). This is actually similar to English "I'll continue learning".

I hope you don't mind corrections, I love getting corrected myself when I'm learning a new language.

thank you my drug mule friend

It's all good man, eventually I'll be able to understand it.

I want to learn too many languages for my own good.

I want to get to a basic level at dozens of them, just for that instant gratification, just so I can look at every (relevant) script in the world and not feel 100% out of touch with it. I don't want to speak Swedish, but I'd like to know what's going on when I look at Swedish, Polish or Icelandic text.

Is anyone else afflicted by this particular feel? I still have target languages at which I want to get proficient, but they are not as many.

At least I think there's a Brit with something similar. He may show up at some point later, he's a regular of /lang/

idk, sometimes i'm really feisty, and sometimes I just want to give up and tell everybody to fuck off, but I always come back to improve it

focus on the tenses...

Hey I wanna learn Russian

I'm too much of a worthless lazy idiot to ever learn a language, but I'd be more than happy to help anybody who's trying to learn French.

I'm ready

H-hola

Just check the verb, my boi. If the verb is conjugated as it would be for wir then its most likely Sie/sie (you (formal)/they)

I'm like that too! I have a main 5-7 that I'm actually learning head-on, but I have around 20+ that I'm studying the basics and scripts for.

Have been learning German for 3+ years now (2 yrs in high school, but i started picking it up before then),

Russian for probably a month now (however those hard and soft signs still confuse me),

Mandarin Chinese, Korean & Japanese for a few weeks now (interest picked up recently with new job and having fun writing in the languages - all very basic knowledge with korean being the one i know the least about),
and Spanish (because Im gonna run into it anyway, so why not?)

So far Ive been enjoying learning non-latin based languages. Its a very fun challenge.

Any tips for russian, mandarin, korean, or japanese?
I use duolingo and Lingvist for russian
I use Chineseskill and HelloChinese for learning chinese and so far theyve been pretty good. I have no apps for learning Korean (yet).
With Duolingo adding Japanese I have never been happier. I used Kanjistudy to learn Hiragana but Im stuck on memorizing Katakana.

Will you put it up your bum?

No
You should

I was going to make 2000 or so flash cards but then I realized no pencil of mine would last that long so gonna have to buy few more of the same color desu.

For what language?
I'm using a note book to start learning Russian

You sound like you already went ahead and did some study, can you elaborate on how that works for you?

I'm pretty autistic and feel like if I learn even a dozen words from (say) Russian, I will be tainting my regular language learning of Japanese with clutter/noise. Even though I have no problem learning thousands of memes or fictional characters every day, studying new languages' vocabulary/grammar feels "wrong".

Coping with this bullshit aside, how does juggling languages work for you? What do you know and how much does that help?

For Swedish, good luck on your studies senpai.

Thanks, you too!
>>Spanish is easy, remembering the accents is just annoying

Para eso está /lang/

Y /lang/ Es El Niño do Díos

>ctrl f norwegian, norsk
>no results

ok bye

Hello. I've kept my language learning a secret until I can surprise people with my ability, but the people around me are wondering what I do in my time and demanding I do other things and it's bothered me so much that it's slowed my learning down. Although OP seems to be right, does anyone have suggestions?

I felt the same too in the beginning when I was learning German and I started picking up Russian. It was kind of like not having enough room in your head for more than one or two languages and the other seems to fade quicker the more you lose focus on it. The i before e rule confuses me now because I studied german for so long I try to pronounce ei and ie as if it were a german word!

Figure out what your main languages are so that theres no confusion in the future. I often want to add another language that has peaked my interest based on sound, caligraphy, or whatnot so I try to keep it 6 at max and boot the ones i've lost interest in. The rejects of the moment are put on the back burner for a later day of study.

One thing that has helped me juggle multiple languages is having a big binder with dividers to show which languages you are tackling head-on. Or if you'd prefer a divided notebook of sorts to separate and write in to avoid having to open up the binder and put paper in, which is what seems to be working for me at the moment.

Also dont forget to have a target level you want to achieve in each language! (Iirc A1 is beginner and C3 is absolutely fluent - feel free to correct me on that anons) I find that I become discontented with my studies when I dont have a specific goal in mind. The skys the limit but at the same time, youre less motivated because theres endgoal so youre just floating about grabbing vocab here and there, y'know?

Anyway, hope this helps, future polyglot user!

It bothered you so much it slowed your learning down?I don't know how to help with that, maybe say you are playing video games, watching sports... or just disregard people and acquire langesthetics that's a solution too.

It's not just that slowing it down, but there's very little 'support' in general. I can't get a book either because I'm dependent on others and never ask for anything.

>remembering the accents is just annoying
If you mean when to use á é í ó ú, I'd reckon it's actually very easy, especially compared to a sister language like Portuguese.

This video can help you with the rules for when you're reading: youtube.com/watch?v=Pw5i-RQKcEY (skip to 5:40 for the relevant bit)

It basically only left out that the accent marks can be used to break up diphthongs (like "María", which has three syllables, while "Mario" has only two).

>future polyglot
That might be really close (2 years max).
I'm fluent in English and Portuguese, Upper Intermediate in French and Intermediate in Japanese. In the future I'd like to learn Russian, Finnish and Romanian (not sure about the priority order).

Some languages I have curiosity about, though, are Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic (standard), Icelandic and Mongolian.
With that I should cover every unique aspect of grammar (cases, ideograms, tones, SOV/SVO, etc.)

Do you know Laoshuu? He's an American dude who speaks over 50 languages, but they're all pretty basic - he learns some greetings, approaches foreign-looking people and try to engage in conversation. Lots of videos on YouTube.
I don't like his approach very much because he's basically cheating by creating a "script" of possible questions/answers that always come up and doesn't seem to go beyond that point, where he can actually talk about trivia outside of this controlled environment. But it's damn fun to watch him surprising people with his skills and getting a kick from the whole experience, probably what inspired me in the first place.

What I've been thinking lately is to use a "most used words" approach based on the 80/20 rule. It could be done with multiple languages instead of one. A native English speaker knows around 25k words, so if I would aim to know just 2000 "most used words" from each target language of mine (that amount covers around 80% of all text), I could learn more than 10 languages for the space of just one!
In terms of time, that's about 3 months learning 20 words a day (done that with Japanese for over 18 months, and it's way harder than most languages because ideograms). Then there's grammar, that should be solid at least on the fundamentals to allow for some improvisation.

How about you, which ones are you working/have worked on, or plan to? Had opportunities to use them?

I've come to the conclusion that learning Mandarin is one of the best things you can do to improve your Japanese. Remembering the Japanese pronunciation is very easy, and associating it to the Mandarin pronunciation (and meaning, which you absolutely require when learning Chinese) allows you to master all the 漢語 in Japanese, of which there's a ridiculous amount.

Then again, learning Mandarin is also a ridiculously tasking endeavor.

Sie with a capital S means 'you', sie with a lower case s means either she or they, you have to tell by the verb ending (-en for they and -t for she)
Zum beispiel
>sie schwimmen = they swim
>sie schwimmt = she swims
>Schwimmen sie? = do you swim (sir)

I cant think of a context where you'd have to tell someone that they swim so you'll probably never have to say "Sie schwimmen" as in 'you are swimming (sir)'

tocar only means 'to play' in the english sense of 'to play an instrument', otherwise tocar means 'to touch' and the term for play is jugar

hola amigo
es chicano?

How well do you know Mandarin and Japanese?

>Japanese
I speak it fluently but have about high school level reading comprehension if I don't have access to a Kanji look up tool.

>Chinese
lol almost not at all. Just the very basics. I was making some progress a few months ago, but things came up and I kind of stopped.

Tärve

Olen Ruotsalainen. Minä juoma oluut

Ya veo, dale duro.
>Que números tan bonitos

>Tärve
>Olen Ruotsalainen. Minä juoma oluut
>Need I am Swedish. I drink the oysters

What?

Olen Ruotsalainen = I am Swedish
Minä juoma *olutta = I drink beer

I think

Moi! Minä myös aloin opiskella suomi. Sinä olet opiskellut pitkään?

*oletko

Only a few months

Terve
Olen ruotsalainen. Minä juon olutta.

Nationalities are written with a small first letter.

Moi! Minä aloin myös opiskella suomea. Oletko opiskellut pitkään?

Kiitos

What language are you learning?
Sometimes the people who care about you the most are the ones that also drag you down and stop you from growing the most.

No I havent heard of Laoshuu but he sounds interesting. I wouldnt take his approach because I like to savor and appreciate the language like a fine meal and not just rape it and steal what i need from it quickly (thats just how I see it t b h, but the technique Im describing is generally torturously slow and requires a lot of patience with yourself and others), but I can respect it as a way to quickly pick up vocab using a cheatsheet when youre about to visit that country in a few days. I just wouldnt use it for long term language learning.

See this post ( ) for which languages I'm currently learning.

As far as opportunities to use them my job allows me to hear from people all over the world (I work at an amusement park) so ive mostly heard languages like Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Hindi, Spanish, and a few others I probably know but dont hear too often. Its been an interesting way to practice listening comprehension for Chinese. As far as german goes, I write back and forth with my old german teacher in german and Ill occasionally run into a german gamer and make friends and talk in german and whatnot.

I can see the memorizing the 2000+ most common words working well just so long as you practice making your own sentences with them.

Meant this post dammit lol

The Fluent in three months guy is also a helpful source if you wanna try to learn a language within 3 months

Question about norwegian, what's the difference between folelser and folelser. Is it a nynorsk/bokmål thing or a dialect thing?

fölelser is the bokmål word for feelings
kjensler is nynorsk for feelings

In Swedish we say "känslor". My guess is that fölelser came from Danish and since nynorsk was made specificaly to be unlike Danish, it has kjensler instead.

>3 months
Isn't that a meme?

he makes some good points occasionally. bit of a hack though

Always feel like I could work harder when I'm learning, but always get a bit burnt out after a while

Do you get this?