If Shaquille O'Neal would have let go of his stubborn insistence on looking manly and learned to shoot free throws...

If Shaquille O'Neal would have let go of his stubborn insistence on looking manly and learned to shoot free throws underhanded he would have been unquestionably the greatest basketball player of all-time and averaged at least 40 points per game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qawlTEmBEns
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ok.

yep. true
him with kobes mentality wouldve easily been goat and kobe knows it and it bothers kobe

>learn free throws
throwing 11,500 wasn't enough practice?

he's the GOAT nba player at shilling products and services lol

he's got a billion dollars and he's selling car insurance for The General

why do nba players get so butthurt about the shooting motion. I think baseball
>adam eaton leaning back like Negan
>Ichiro running towards first as he swings
>darren o'day sideways wind up
>kevin youkilis duck waddle

there's no right or wrong way. as long as the ball goes in the net/get a hit/etc.

Dont diss the general on my board m8

This

Because nobody in baseball is standing in front of you stopping your swing you fucking retard. Shot form has a direct correlation to how easy/difficult it is for defenders to guard you. Not to mention if you have awkward shot form, getting rushed by a defender about to block you will have much more effect than if you shoot with correct form. Take Shawn Marion. Because of his form, he could only shoot when his defender was at least 3 feet away.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...getting your shot blocked on a free throw isn't a concern. Let's be honest though, part of the culture in the NBA is looking cool. Better to look good and fail than look bad and succeed.

Ever tried to shoot a free throw with a tennis ball? That's what shooting free throws "normally" was like with Shaq hands. It's much easier to get a nice arc and spin on the ball underhanded for people with gigantic hands.

This is silly; Kawhi's hand's are similair in size to Shaws and Kawhi shot nearly 90% this year.

I've never bought the big hands argument
If your hands overnight grew to 3x their size, sure you'll have trouble doing stuff
But his hands were always huge, and he had 35 years to account for it

But then he'd look like a bitch

If he had done that then he'd be making his free throws and hack a shaq wouldn't be a thing

Big guys who shoot free throws at a high percentage are the exception rather than the norm.

Does muscle memory play a role? If an NBA player starts shooting free throws underhand would it fuck with his muscle memory and make his normal shot worse?

youtube.com/watch?v=qawlTEmBEns

Or maybe if he just shot the ball at the white square on the backboard instead of trying to swish it he could've sunk some more baskets.

We're talking about shooting freethrows. Defenders can't suddenly block your freethrow if you shoot underhanded.

This.

Isn't it supposed to be easier to use the backboard? Why the players always try to score FT without using it?

JUST

People still throwing out this retarded argument?

lol retarded

basketball is easy as hell. he was just a fat lazy nigger

>Confirmed for never playing basketball or shooting free throws
It's actually alot harder to do it if you shoot like that. Because big guys like him have alot of power behind their shot, from that range hitting the backboard will often send the ball right back to you. You need that arc to get it in. I've been practicing free throws for a while now, trust me, the backboard is not your friend during a free throw.
>b-but what about short range jumpers and layups
It's really different when you're at an angle, and that close of a range you can instinctively control the power behind your shot. At the free throw line, you need to be alot more precise, especially from the angle you have. Think about it, when you shoot from directly in front of the basket, if you aim for the backboard, from the angle you're shooting at, what will happen is the ball will bounce off the back of the rim, almost every time unless your arc is perfect, but then you need a lot more height behind it to compensate, but it's easier to go for a regular swish shot and put less height and arc to it.

Try shooting free throws some time lads

>7' 300lb man
>look like a bich
Pick one.
He could've gone out there wearing a fucking ballerina outfit and stilled look like a monster.

>It's really different when you're at an angle
fucking this, banking it in straight on is hard

For some stupid reason freakishly large players aren't required to practice free throws when they are young. There is no pressure for them to get better at it because no coach in rec league, middle school, or high school is going to bench their tallest player. There is no accountability for the players or the coaches. Then they get to the NBA and put out dumb shit like "big people can't shoot FTs because of the hands".

jesus christ lol he has no fucking excuse hes an 8 feet tall orangutan with superhuman strength and his whole entire life is playing with the same ball i can shoot a basketball into the net over and over if i practice for like half hour

The idea of fouling Shaq was to stop him, it's not like it ever did

Even if Shaq hit 80% of his free throws he would still "only" be 3rd on the all time scoring list.

See
And stop being a faggot

A bit unrelated to the thread
How the fuck do players make 3's from the corners? If you are even slightly off with the arc or anything, the ball is going either in front of the rim for an easy rebound or over the rim for an easy rebound.

When I shoot 3's I always go for that spot in between the corner and the center and bank it off the backboard. Isn't that the easiest way of going about it? Someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong

Every European big man shoots a high free throw percentage.

Speaking of Shaq, what happened to double teams in the NBA? I don't think I ever see Durant or Lebron get doubled or attempt to trap them.

>How the fuck do players make 3's from the corners?

Corner 3s are the easiest.

>When I shoot 3's I always go for that spot in between the corner and the center and bank it off the backboard

You're trying to bank it every time? That's definitely not the easiest way of going about it.

>corner 3s are easiest
Um no. Corner 3s are the hardest because they fuck with your perception of the rim. Easiest 3s are directly in front of the basket

>Easiest 3s are directly in front of the basket

literally wrong

Corner 3s are the easiest because they're closer. They only fuck with your perception if you suck.

Durant couldn't be double teamed because of his teamates. It must be the same about Lebron since the Cavs are memechuking more than everyone.

Too much spacing, too many guys who can hit long range shots. You double up one guy, and you're one quick pass away from an easy 3. It can only be done against teams who have 1 great player and no good shooters (for example, the Bulls back when they had Butler).

also wondering this. You can't shoot a jumper underhand, so maybe NBA players don't want to have to perfect two different shooting motions

Rick Barry didn't seem to have any trouble shooting either way.

not as if shaq was known for his midrange game

He would've gotten fouled less and made more field goals

Why do they wear these gay ass socks?

>having frosty ankles

You're a special kind of tard, every basketball, NBA and stats guys will regurgitate this. The corner 3 in the best shot in the game.