"All those moments will be lost, like tears in rain."

>"All those moments will be lost, like tears in rain."
>"Time to die."

Has there ever in the history of cinema been a quote that encapsulated the human condition better than this one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XIgbPTBINhk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

> I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Stars and spaceships and shit.

>"Bane?"

>I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.

>"yo, why does my finger smell like shit?"

OOzeee 9 meeleemeter?

this thread had potential

"Now I know what a tv dinner feels like"

>it's not possible t. computer
>no, it's necessary t. human

>Like Sands through an hourglass, these are the days of our lives

Easily superior

yet switzerland is one of the best country in the world to live in.

why is this quote considered so deep? Like everytime my friend gets drunk theres a 20% chance he brings this up and goes into some emotional existentsal state. But it doesn't seem that impressive.

t. pleb

that line was ad-libbed too

> "Computer, end program"

>"all those lives will be lost, like farts in the wind"
>"time to die"

Why doesn't any film mention that Hitler was just following orders?

Tears in rain is a very accurate and emotional metaphore for our lives. You can't notice them even if they had a much more meaningful sense to you than just being water.

ITT linear thinkers

>doesn't percieve the futility of existence
lucky you

>reading comprehension

Yeah you need some

It's not deep so much as poignant

The music and acting are 10/10 during that scene

What Switzerland created in 500 years ? A much better place to live than Italy.

>"I have finally become the Blade Runner"
Really?

Hauer is, for me and for ever, the ultimate vilain. He has the charisma and the aura of a great man but somehow feels wrong and dangerous at the same time. You don't even have to give him lines, you know that guy is your final opponent in life.

Damn we're so brainwashed by anti-nazi propaganda.

>this ship is unsinkable, its THE TITANIC
>look at him box, he's like THE RAGING BULL
>this isn't funny anymore, enough with THE FUNNY GAMES
>ease up on those drums or you'll get THE WHIPLASH
>smile you son of a bitch, let me see THE JAWS

He wasn't even human, how the fuck would he know what it's like?

Don't swim in that river for 10 minutes, I just did a massive shit squirt and it's an APOCALYPSE NOW

how is that even a requirement

The Swiss also make the best chocolate and cheese

Your friend sounds cool

seconded; would get drunk with him 10/10 times

>Sometimes, there's a man.

He's not human, but he's mortal and conscious.

>look at this net

in the book the protagonist felt empathy for droids and wondered if they were human, in the end it becomes obvious replicants are really just electric appliances and incapable of feeling or understanding empathy even towards other droid

the movie is just weepy bullshit about "the humans are the real monsters\muh slavery".

the twist is that I'm the one who does realize it and I'm considered a "downer"
It's just I acknowledge it and I'm content with existence so I can talk about it freely, and then move on. Whereas he gets all philosophical and emotional and shit.

I'm a human being goddammit, my life has value!

I don't know how you got all that shit about humans being monsters; the replicants are as just monstrous if not more. That's not even relevant though? The point imho is the transience of existence and lack of anything meaningful other than our own subjective experiences, that we can't even properly relate to one another, regardless of any moral framework (which are essentially irrelevant). The replicants are nothing but a sublimation of that, a constant reminder and a confirmation of our own failures.

patrician choice in movies; watch Strawberry Statement if you haven't already. It's fucking unbelievable what usa kino used to be and what it is now.

>Damn we're so brainwashed by anti-nazi propaganda.

hauer isn't german

>Damn we're so brainwashed by anti-nazi propaganda.
What?

>Share the load

I realize it might surprise you but most people freak out over these things and generally avoid thinking about them.

It has to do a lot with the level of understanding you have and the realization that no matter how smart you are, how good at perceiving "true quality" and value of the world around you, you are helplessly alone and doomed to eke out your existence unsatisfied and unfulfilled. Some people can turn a blind eye to it (like you), but many cannot. Especially if they never find a friendly soul to share the existential burden with.

“The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.”

I thought the point of the movie was that the test proved they wernt human by showing they lacked empathy, but at the end Hauer shows empathy, blurring the lines. I never got a muh slavery feel.

Belgium has better chocolate
Netherlands better cheese.

Switzerland has just clocks and cucks

Switzerland's quality of life is rather recent compared to Italy, it's not like they became a financial powerhouse overnight

Too bad Roy Batty is impossible to relate to and his strife isn't properly set up.

Blade Runner a shit.

elaborate pls? Am genuinely interested in your explanation/interpretation unless you're just trolling

Unless you're an edgy attractive dude on drugs, there's no appeal and no connection. Anyone who's actually been oppressed in life sees through the bullshit.

The point is that italy has produced far more of transcendental worth in a few decades because of the strife in its past than switzerland could with hundreds of years of peace and prosperity. Which will last into the foreseeable eternity, the art and minds from the renaissance, or the fact that the swiss have slightly more comfortable lives than italians?

>>The point is that italy has produced far more of transcendental worth in a few decades because of the strife
Except it didn't, it's not like Leonardo or Michelangelo were born in those 30 years. They're a product of a far longer time that came before them, and also they were fully financed by rich faggots with too much blood money to spend on themselves alone.

>Which will last into the foreseeable eternity, the art and minds from the renaissance, or the fact that the swiss have slightly more comfortable lives than italians?
Unironically and literally the latter, renaissance is completely dead as an artistic, moral, ideological, philosophical etc. entity, no one is building upon that anymore, and everything that's been built upon that has also been toppled by postmodernism since.

"I shall return soon'

Sorry but I don't understand, what the hell does oppression has to do with anything here? How's that the spotlight of relating to Roy Batty?

What manga is this from?

The point seems to be that you're ignorant of the Northern Renaissance and Swiss history m8.

As is the way with almost every story, the journey is always better than the destination.

But Blade Runner occurs at the end of Batty's character development. He doesn't have anywhere to go, and instead it's just him going from setpiece to setpiece in a revenge plot.

Seeing Batty's motivations for revenge would have been the better plotline (See: Moon/Sam Bell). His revelation at who and what he is, and his predicament. That's where the story is at, and it's only present in Blade Runner via expository monologues to an awful/characterless supporting cast.

Deckard is easily the worst character because the questions worth asking aren't asked, and he just follows Batty like a Gumshoe, determined to figure out the same shit Batty already monologued to the audience 5 minutes prior. I still loved Hauer's performance with what he was given, but it doesn't matter how many cuts you do, the fact is the right scenes weren't filmed for a script that was trying to (for whatever reason) be it's own thing.

Setpiece: The Movie. Good for what it was, accurately received at the time of release, overrated by people who think films are wine.

>how is a movie that's literally about the oppression of minorities, but presents the "oppressed" as a romantic rebel i.e. Che Guevara on heroin related to oppression

Kill yourself, loser.

I want to be a cyber punk :(

install gentoo

Surprisingly spot on/insightful; it has some great cinematography and monologues but as a whole it tends to be too predictable and somewhat of a drag. As if someone tried to copy Tarkovsky's approach to film-making without actually understanding it.

But for me the Roy Batty scenes are beautiful and melancholic enough that they make the movie worth watching (even if skipping everything else).

Sorry but I disagree; that looks as quite an superficial approach to the whole Replicant problem. I don't see them as romantic or even rebellious. Just that they are "ahead of the curve" in a sense that they don't fall for the bullshitery and self-delusions that the rest of us feed ourselves every second of every day. They are honest, and that's the first and foremost thing that makes me "empathize" with Roy.

>Just that they are "ahead of the curve" in a sense that they don't fall for the bullshitery and self-delusions that the rest of us feed ourselves every second of every day.

lefedoratippingdawkinsworshipper.jpg

>netherlands has better cheese
topu keku

no, nothing in a sense that being ahead is something arrogant or that it makes them better than the rest of us. It's simply the side-effect of being what they are. They can't escape it, and coupled with their expiration dates, makes them even more fucked up. Ignorance is bliss, but what can one do after he truly sees the reality? Get back to living a lie and producing watts for the machines or spend your life in misery, but with your eyes open? Tough shit.

And fuck Dawkins, I hate that overrated self-infatuated faggot.

Good thing theyre taking in migrants

I never knew Vienna before the war...

Youre normal, though your response is more common with people who believe in some higher power. The secularism and atheism of modernity is what brings about reflection in existential crisis

>Has there ever in the history of cinema been a quote that encapsulated the human condition better than this one?

yes

youtube.com/watch?v=XIgbPTBINhk