What does Sup Forums think of this album?

What does Sup Forums think of this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tc1_sOD4d_M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

3 good songs, max

Some good songs, some awful songs. It seems people are appreciating it more now compared to a few years ago.

>Good Morning
5/10, great sample.

>Champion
4/10, catchy sample but that's it.

>Stronger
7/10, the sample makes the song

>I Wonder
7/10, great sample but the lyrics aren't impressive

>Good Life
4/10, aged horribly

>Can't Tell Me Nothing
8/10, Classic song

>Barry Bonds
4/10, aged horribly

>Drunk and Hot Girls
4/10, stupid but catchy and underrated

>Flashing Lights
8/10, Another classic, great production

>Everything I Am
6/10, underwhelming verse from Kanye as always, great instrumental

>The Glory
3/10, forgettable and bland

>Homecoming
8/10, Classic, catchy and good verses this time

>Big Brother
8/10, Best song on the album, great lyrics, classic, Kanye being honest and shit. So fucking good.

Overall Graduation is a good album, but not one of his best.

>homecoming
>8/10

fuck outta here. Pop Kanye at his worst.

yeezus > graduation > mbdtf > LR > 808 > CD > TLOP

>Good Morning
>5/10

>rapping about his Chi-town
>that great instrumental

It's also one of the few times on the album Kanye actually shows he can rap.

>good morning
>5/10

One of the few good songs on the album.

The sample for it is good but the verses are so underwhelming and basic.

>>Barry Bonds
>4/10, aged horribly

You're only saying that because of the Lil Wayne feature

8/10 pretty good

No, it really has aged badly. The hook is outdated as fuck, that kind of song won't be played on the radio nowadays. Can't Tell Me Nothing and Flashing Lights are good examples of timeless songs.

It has some of his best and some of his worst.

>Top Tier
Flashing Lights, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Everything I Am

>Good Tier
Homecoming, Big Brother, I Wonder

>Solid Tier
Stronger, Champion, Good Morning

>Meh Tier
The Glory, Good Life

>Shit Tier
Barry Bonds, Drunk and Hot Girls

>that cheesy and, at the time, trendy Chris Martin chorus
>that hamfisted piano melody

Homecoming is Kanye's worst hit.

The verses are straight-forward, that's his style. I don't know why people still feel the need to talk shit about Kanye's style when it's been so many years.

It sounds dated but still pretty good desu

Flashing Lights>>>Good Morning>Stronger>Can't Tell me Nothing> I Wonder>Everything I Am>Champion>the rest>>>>Barry Bonds

How do you talk shit about Homecoming where Kanye's lyrics actually have some sort of substance to it other than just bland braggadocious crap? He's rapping about Chi-Town over a great instrumental.

Good Morning is also catchy but there's really not much else to it other than the sample.

>It seems people are appreciating it more now compared to a few years ago.

The story of Kanye's career

Not really, a ton of his music has aged terribly

Examples?

Not really. the only albums people aren't sure about are Graduation and 808s. Even Yeezus got incredible acclaim the past few years. You can't argue that CD, LR, MBDTF and Yeezus are classics.

College Dropout and MBDTF are good, the rest haven't aged well at all.], though you might be able to convince on Yeezus. Late Registration is a prime example though

2nd best Kanye album. Only plebs don't like it.

>The hook is outdated as fuck,

lmao what the fuck are you talking about?

>that kind of song won't be played on the radio nowadays

it wasn't played on the radio in 2007 either...

Absolutely agreed. Homecoming is trash and arguably the worst song on one of the best Kanye albums.

it's not his best but it's still one my favorite kanye albums

College Dropout is about 10 times more dated than Graduation, but everybody trips over their balls to suck that album off.

>Good morning
>5/10

>He's rapping about Chi-Town over a great instrumental.

lol, can you actually explain why it's a good song though? Or do white people just think that rapping about Chicago makes for great subject matter.

> the rest haven't aged well at all

but you realized you just mentioned that College Dropout is good tho right? Like how are you going to argue how his music has aged, when you're a fan of his most dated sounding music? Your opinion kinda lost all of it's merit there.

College Dropout didn't chase pop-trends. Graduation sounds dated in the worst possible way.

you don't need to chase pop trends to sound dated. it's really not up for debate. College Dropout is the most dated of his music, it's just the fact of the matter. Have you heard the drums on College Dropout? They sound like they came out of a Fisher Price keyboard or some shit. Meanwhile, the percussion on Graduation actually sounds very modern in 2017.

So you are judging relevance based on the quality and not the style of the production? Not how I would do it, but I guess you're not wrong by your own logic.

Saying College Dropout sounds dated is like saying Enter the Wu-Tang sounds dated. It's not about the music sounding dated or not, it's about the earnest artistic pursuit and creativity. CD is simply a charming album with a lot of great tracks and many classic ones. Even the skits are tolerable. Graduation has some good singles like Flashing Lights but it doesn't really work as an album.

>Good Life
>4/10, aged horribly

I am judging the style.

>Saying College Dropout sounds dated is like saying Enter the Wu-Tang sounds dated

So would you say that something being "dated" isn't really the most fair criticism? Why does it only apply to Wu Tang and CD, but not his other material?

Could you actually explain yourself better? I don't see how College Dropout is an "earnest artistic pursuit of creativity" but Graduation isn't.

I love this thing. Barry Bonds and Drunk and Hot Girls are the only poor tracks. Everything else is jolly good fun.

Barry Bonds and Drunk and Hot Girls are better than Homecoming t b h

>College Dropout is the most dated of his music, it's just the fact of the matter.

Not at all. College Dropout could be released tomorrow and would sound better than anything out right now

College Dropout is great, but that's not how "being dated" works. If CD came out tomorrow people would be wondering why it sounds like an authentic 2004 album.

Graduation was inspired and very creative for a mainstream hip-hop album at that time. The problem is that it was inspired by the "anthemic stadium performances" of U2. It made sense for Kanye to go all out pop at the time, the Graduation era was by far his most commercially successful. Listening to it now just feels awkward, for me at least. It's like listening to other hugely successful pop-rap records of times gone by, like Thank Me Later. I'm not saying those albums are comparable in quality but Graduation just sticks out like a sore thumb as Kanye's poppiest pop rap record.

Stronger is cool

I love Graduation from the bottom of my heart, but Barry Bonds is terrible.
I mean it got dated even before release, since they were rapping about how fucking great the real life Barry Bonds is, but shortly after the album release in the same month, Barry Bonds was caught in antidopping, his career ended, and suddenly he wasn't so great anymore.

>Good Life 4/10
>Good Morning 5/10

I find Drunk n Hot Girls weirdly enjoyable. Mostly the chorus, the synth lines and the female vocals.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the music stands on its own. You could of course use different drums and record the vocals on better equipment, but the melodies and the lyrics are perfectly relevant for 2017/soon-to-be-2018

Weird. I wasn't into Kanye at the time, so when I went through his discography 5 or so years ago it stood out as one of his strongest. The production does sound like a product of it's time, but I thought it was stellar and to this day I haven't heard any rap album, or any album really that sounds like it. The whole "arena/stadium" sonic quality of it just feels totally unique.

There's a weird pattern among the most disliked Kanye songs: they all follow some narrative, some mood that people simply ignore.
Of course Drunk N Hot Girls feels stupid, it's a drunken Kanye doing stupid shit (ex.: rape), basically an escalation of previous "party themed" Ye songs (Slow Jamz, Celebration) and Mos Def's verses and the pianos gives an eerie contrast to the song, like Kanye's conscious "don't do that shit man"
Yeezus suffers the same, it's basically an opera rock, but people focuses more on how Deathgrips-ish ot sounds like.

I only like it cause of Can.

LA DA DA DA DA DA DA DI DA DA DA DA DAAAA... BRRAH

We go through too much bullshit
Just to mess with these drunk and hot girls
She go through too much bullshit

Driving around town looking for the best spot
For the drunk and hot girls
Up in the club look at here what we got
Some drunk and hot girls
Stop dancing with your girlfriend and come dance with me
Stop talking 'bout your boyfriend since he is not me
Stop running up my tab 'cause these drinks is not free
You drunk and hot girl

I don't want to drop your friends off, I just want you
You drunk and hot girl
You want to sit down but we hit the drive-thru
You drunk and hot girl
Please don't fall asleep, baby, we almost back
Please don't throw up in the car, we almost crashed
Oh, now you sober, how'd I know you'd say that
You drunk and hot girl

Love the dangerous necessity that people seek
Without regard to where they are
The human heart is curious
Above all things, love, the lights are low, your eyes are bright
The music plays, it's sweet delight
It's out of sight, I'm feeling right
Your dress is tight
Oh howwwwww, I want you right now

Don't tell me, you sing, you about to get a deal
You drunk and hot girl
"Ah da da da da." That's how the fuck you sound
You drunk and hot girl, yeah
You only live once, do whatever you like
I thought I'd be with you for only one night
(Now I'm with this girl for the rest of my life
That drunk and hot girl)

The weird and disoriented vibe, the connection it makes with Slow Jamz and Celebration, Mos Def's poetic-ish verse and pianos constrasting the mood, it all follows a narrative.
But y'all niggas just want some instrumental background, some rapping over it and call it a day, if it were for you we'd still be cavemen

>kanye is so deep these plebs will never understand
His music has about as much depth as Lana Del ray

I didn't say or mean that, but since you interpret it this way well, if the shoe fits, wear it

This is all messed up. Can't believe you actually wrote most of this out.
Good Morning and Can't Tell Me Nothing would be nothing without their samples.
Stronger sucks.
Good Life is like if Stronger didn't suck.
The Glory is maybe his best song.

aged horribly

tru

I like "The Glory" too

oh graduation everyone hates you but me

Curious what the people who hate Homecoming think of Home. Personally I dig both versions
youtube.com/watch?v=Tc1_sOD4d_M

Nice digits, yeah Graduation is an 8/10 for me

>Good Morning
>5/10
Stopped reading there

Love Kanye but barley ever bump this album