What is the appeal of classical music? It just sounds uninteresting to me. Why do people like it?

What is the appeal of classical music? It just sounds uninteresting to me. Why do people like it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VMw0EjLFPXw
sciencealert.com/here-s-what-we-know-about-anhedonia-the-disorder-that-makes-it-impossible-to-feel-pleasure
youtube.com/watch?v=iEl6Nxon_Kc
youtube.com/watch?v=5bVRTtcWmXI
youtube.com/watch?v=fCm5lJpPZJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=nGdFHJXciAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=F5zg_af9b8c
youtube.com/watch?v=sVso_dj_3h0
youtube.com/watch?v=8HON4AswPVk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

t. functionally illiterate, overweight yet scrawny, politically absent, and physically un-noteworthy user

its moving

so they can act like they're smarter or somehow more sophisticated than people who don't listen to classical, it's just about appearing to be smart and acting snobby.

long tracks basically mean that you can get more out of relistening

it's similar to prog rock in that way

>-
ba da bing

what do you listen to?

Same as any other kind of music

>It just sounds uninteresting to me
Because you haven't listened to enough of it

It gets better if you understand what they're doing. Besides, it's pretty varied with no easy way of knowing what will sound like what - Dvorak and Liszt are nothing alike despite being very similar.

The qt pianists

You need some tolerance of boredom to get into it. Once you get into it, you will discover some REALLY good shit, stuff you can't really find in the popular realm.

You definitely need to go into it with the right attitude. To make an analogy: a person who tries to play a heavily story-based game with lots of cutscenes won't get much out of it if he's impatient and just wants to get to the gameplay. The person who invests himself into the story will get a more emotionally-rewarding experience. Same sort of thing with classical music.

My gateway piece was Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony. Maybe give it a listen, all the way through, without distractions, if you feel up to it.

you're just proving my point even further

The most accessible classical track is chopin’s fantasie impromptu. Listen to that

Thanks for the rec, I'll try to go into the genre with a different mindset.

It sounds really interesting to me. I can't stand pop music. It sounds more like people talking than like singing.

You had no point.

>What is the appeal of classical music?
It's a foundation for a lot of contemporary styles, one way or another.
>Why do people like it?
Because it good :DDDDD
But seriously, it's a great starting point if you want to better understand music in general, discover some aspects of the human nature, and shit, sometimes it goes perfect with the mood, it can be quite fun when played at the right place and the right time.
>It just sounds uninteresting to me
No big deal, I'm pretty sure you will find some interesting pieces that will spark up your interest. Liking/Disliking certain composers is totally okay, but do give them a shot.
youtube.com/watch?v=VMw0EjLFPXw

>inb4 you're just too dumb/ADHD to understand it
I played in orchestras for like 10 years and took theory classes and I still find it boring, FWIW

I have no idea why this is so common.
I hope you mean orchestra's from 10 to 20 or something though, did you at least have fun?

Yeah it was a youth orch thing. Concerts were fun to perform I guess but I don't feel like sitting down and listening to it myself

Same here, though I didn't have theory classes unfortunately. I always grew to like most of the songs we performed, but it would mostly be small things I liked about them. Like a neat chord progression or harmony.

It's some of if not the most artistically complex music in existence both in composition and performance. There is so much nuance, subtlety, and technical mastery required to play classical pieces well.

sciencealert.com/here-s-what-we-know-about-anhedonia-the-disorder-that-makes-it-impossible-to-feel-pleasure

You must have been forced to study exclusively Bach. Poor you.

[spoiler]Seriously I will never understand the appeal of Bach except from a technical standpoint.[/spoiler]

Maybe you haven't fully explored the options available. I can wholly agree with a large amount of symphonies and concertos being uninteresting.
What do you think of these?

youtube.com/watch?v=iEl6Nxon_Kc
youtube.com/watch?v=5bVRTtcWmXI
youtube.com/watch?v=fCm5lJpPZJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=nGdFHJXciAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=F5zg_af9b8c
youtube.com/watch?v=sVso_dj_3h0
youtube.com/watch?v=8HON4AswPVk