Can any Canadoams provide an update on the fires?

Can any Canadoams provide an update on the fires?

Is there a way to actively track them?

Like a HelioViewer for wildfires?

Other urls found in this thread:

cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/south-african-firefighters-alberta-1.3624581
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not sliding. I'm surprised the scale of the damage hasn't been on the news everyday considering the initial furor over it.

It's over 70% contained now. It's ogre

When do the SA'fricans go home?

Also proofs of 70% figure?

The south africans went home, they weren't being paid properly by whatever company in SA it was that set up that deal. Canada only provided housing, not pay. They were basically getting paid like a couple bucks an hour to fight flames that are like 100ft high, can hardly blame em.

cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/south-african-firefighters-alberta-1.3624581
>The province said that the Fort McMurray fire is now 70 per cent contained, with 2,000 firefighters involved in the effort.

Sup Forums is quiet tonight

Over 500 thousand people have been killed but experts say that is just a conservative estimate, and the real number of deaths may range anywhere from 800000 to 1 million. Several major cities have been evacuated, and about 60% of Central Canada has been reduced to ashes. I'm fucking scared guys.

I aggregated the info on them already. They really left?

6 million Canadians are now dead

Most of them are gone I believe

Can we airlift refugees to take their place?

And in the meantime your leader prance around on twitter. What a shame.

Sounded like they would be making much more on top of their base salaries in SA if they stuck around. Was it really that poorly executed, or was it them?

It's not Canada's responsibility to ensure they are paid correctly. If south africa doesn't have the proper business laws in place to ensure their wage for hazard pay, out-of-country work, etc. it's really not any of our business. SA had none of that in place hence they got pissed, went home.
If this was canadians going to SA they'd probably be making like 300-400% their normal wage and would be raking in like $100-$150/hr. Those guys were making ~$4/hr so it wasn't worth it for them to stay.

I heard about their management effectively holding all but $15 from their $50 Canadian dollars for them to spend on per diem until they returned, on top of an elevated base salary + room/food/board.

Some anons asserted some fuckery on the part of the host company skimming off their payment per worker, while some asserted misinformation leading to workers striking.

Any confirmations thus far?

I heard they refused to leave. Might have been an user shitposting though.

Quote from the archive of the official article had that as a quote, though I don't know if they really meant it in that way. More like they wouldn't move till they were adequately paid, as I imagine in SA once you're back you have no international stage or benefactors to ensure you get due process due to the level of corruption in their native country.

They were doing 12 hour shifts for $50/day pay. Even without skimming off the top that's horribly illegal in pretty much every western country, and probably SA as well.
Just because accommodations were provided is not a legal basis for reduced pay. They were staying at work camps I believe, and in Canada staying at a work camp is not a legal loophole to reduced pay.

Oh what a shoa!

They were being paid their SA wages
Plus an additional 50 CAD per day stipend (however they were only receiving 15$ per day while here, the rest when they return to SA)
We paid their flight in
We paid their flight out
We paid their lodging
We paid their food
They were on strike for the five days thay they were here because they wanted 27/hr CAD
They then decided to leave
And now some are refusing to leave
They weren't even real firefighters but people from an anti-poverty program called Working on Fire
Literally just learned how to use water for a fire this month

Really they were making 600 Rand per day when they'd normally be paid like 370

Stipend pay conflicts with minimum wage pay when it's prefaced the way their contracts seemed to be already?

Why didn't they hold some form of oversight to assess this ahead of time?

It's literally not any of Canada's problem lol
I believe all their accommodations and flights were paid for by Suncor actually, but the canadian government took credit. They stayed at the suncor work camp I think.

They basically came here, discovered how horribly underpaid they are compared to canadians and threw a tantrum.
Realistically the flames from this fire are actually like a solid 100-150 feet tall and they expect a bunch of guys earning $4/hr to throw buckets of water on that shit? The whole thing is just retarded.

Yeah I remember it being touted initially as a CA funded deal when in fact the SA companies were the real ones handing out the dole. Was the idea to have them piggyback off of the inevitable extinguishing of the fire already underway for some form of diversity points or was it an idea previously agreed to ahead of the Alberta disaster?

All my friends who work out there are shitting their pants now and setting up grow ops to make wages... There's going to be a huge demand for constructions workers as soon as the fire is out. From what I understand they have moved most of the oil operations to grand prarie for the time being. A few guys are working compared to before but it's still going. Should be interesting in the next while to see what plays out. There's a lot of toys and rig pig trucks up for sale so there are a lot of deals to be had. 90% of the oil workers make big cash at work, but a truck and quad or sled, come home and party for two weeks and piss it all away on booze coco and girls.

I don't think it's ever been explained as to why they ever came to be honest.

I lived in fort mac when younger for years and everyone there is basically sub-100 iq or something. Really if those guys talked to basically anyone up there they would have been corrupted and thought all this strike shit was a genius plan because I guarantee you there is not a single rig pig up there that even can comprehend the concept of regional economic disparities and if they talked to even one single person that lived in fort mac they would have infected their minds with whatever bullshit economic theory rig pigs cling to for that month.

Technically speaking they probably weren't underpaid for what their work is in SA, but they were sent to the region with the most inflated wages in the history of Canada and also the region with the least likely collection of people that have any intelligence whatsoever and thus you get a bunch of retards infecting other retards with retarded ideas lol

I see. Could the other countries have prevented the amount of loss to the populace otherwise in the same time, or was it unavoidable?

>I see. Could the other countries have prevented the amount of loss to the populace otherwise in the same time, or was it unavoidable?
Alberta has undergone a huge climate change shift. In Edmonton and Calgary the cities are now being designed for huge huge flooding.
Although many people think it rained more in the past, they're only correct on an average scale.
Maybe it's not global warming, but engineers here now design land development and high rises specifically around climate change because it actually completely wrecks places. We have storm ponds in EVERY new district in Edmonton and Calgary, often many of them actually.

The reason I'm mentioning that is because it played into what caused the fire this year. In the past our average rainfall was very dispersed throughout the year. Lately our province goes through very very severe drought followed by very very severe flooding. This is something that is quite new to the province and engineers have been quickly adapting buildings to prevent the ensuing destruction. High rises here now can store thousands of liters of water in their parkades rather than dumping it into city storm drains which aren't suited for such quantities for example.

Basically what happened in Fort Mac is the result of that change. We had our drought, and lo and behold, we now have our flood and the fire is basically contained. That forest was bone dry, those trees were most likely on the brink of death due to dehydration so it's not surprising it burnt up so quickly. Last year Alberta had a state of emergency due to this trend in climate change and it obliterated farm yields because up until recently irrigation systems were not a requirement, but that is quickly changing now.