I teach international students in leaf country

I teach international students in leaf country
AMA

Other urls found in this thread:

cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1. What is the meaning of life?
2. If a bear and a shark had a fight, who would win?

1. Depending on each person's perspective, to me it is giving the next generation a chance to survive and thrive beyond this planet. Human or any species ever born is given a chance to live and understand the universe also suffers the possibility of got snuffed out like a candle in the night, or expand and travel beyond our limited knowledge of everything.
2. You have to provide me more: like ages, size and battleground.

I know that in Canada teachers are obliged to report and contact the authorities if they even so much suspect anything like abuse (and in canada physical disciplinary punishment towards your own kids is considered abuse, correct?)

I wonder, would also something like what you posted be considered a sign of an intolerant/racist household?
Would the background and nationality of the child make a difference?

These kids come from Asia. They have never seen a black man or any men who look different from their own.
All they ever know about black or dark-skinned man is from TV and news. The media there rarely portraits them as good or even well -mannered.
On top of that, most Asians are terrified of blacks, thus leading to bad images.

I'm assuming you're either working in BC or Ontario where most of the immigration fluxes concentrate.

What does the school do to promote integration?
How are parents who might learn to hide it in public but never ever really abandon their own fixed views and stereotypes dealt with?

I'm genuinely curious of the practical steps teachers in Canada, at the elementary level, have to put in practice to better mould and shape the children into what is considered acceptable.

Worst/best students? (by country)

>What does the school do to promote integration?
We begin from the root of any problems ever: history. We have extended programs to teach them about our history, and where it fits in with the world. The most important thing is we have to be straightforward: Bad things happened, along with other good things, but they are all processes which make Canada into what it is today. Our society is not perfect, but it is much better than it used to be, and you (as future citizens) can make it even better.
Also, we try to encourage them to get into activities of the locals, to teach them about the way of our country. It's always hard at first, but it's all about time and patience.
>How are parents who might learn to hide it in public but never ever really abandon their own fixed views and stereotypes dealt with?
There is little we can do with this type of parents, since they belong to a generation who spent a long time in their own systems. We generally deal with our teaching sometimes conflicting with the parents'

worst: [spoiler]Chinese[spoiler]
best: [spoiler]Russian[spoiler]

fuck

I know the vast majority of Ontarian speak a second language at home (wasn't Toronto population something like >50% non Canadian born?)

How is language dealt with in the school? I imagine that if the class is heterogeneous, with a large variety of different nationality, english will naturally adopted by the kids among themselves.

What if instead most of the kids come from the same-speaking ethnicity and they speak say, tagalog, among each other? DO you guys "impose" english (and impose it's not quite the right word).

Hardly
We only impose English in the class, not outside. Ontario is an amazing city, where you walk for 10 mins, you can hear 4 -5 different languages. We understand that Canada is a country made up of immigrants, it is important that we do not forget where we are from, hence the language-free outside classes.

That's what I meant, obviously I meant in the classroom. Beside being unethical it'd be practically unenforceable.

Then we do not have any reasons to force them to speak English even outside classes

>I know the vast majority of Ontarian speak a second language at home

Only Toronto.
Outside of the GTA and Ottawa, Ontario is 95%+ white and English speaking.

sure, but my question was how is it dealt with *in* the classroom.

Toronto isn't the entirety of Ontario.

>random hick smalltowns are the rest of ontario

oh boy you are dumb. ontario is a province of metropolises, outside of GTA is just mini-GTAs.

I don't dispute this, but I'm sure in terms of population, economic output and political pull has to be the first city in Ontario, no?

We have a "participation in class" section in our grade system, if one refuses to speak English in class despite many warnings, teachers can take points of that section.
Also we have what technically is called "manner notes" among teachers, if one student's name is mentioned in a teacher's note for 5 or more times, he is expelled from that class.

immigrant kids rarely speak their parent's language to each other, probably because they identify speaking english with being part of a different generation.

the result is rapid assimilation into one language, which is why 2nd generations usually never speak another language.

t. went to and volunteered at elementary schools in the past

this is why Ontario is shit. it's a province of immigrants and homos and they want to bring this shittiness to the rest of Canada

he's ignorant, the vast majority of ontarians live in cities with populations over 100k. the small towns he's talking about aren't that common or populated.

How old are your students?
Is your class obligatory?

Forgive me for sounding ignorant but if a city produces a significant amount of your provinces wealth.
How is it shitty?

wow very interesting.
>teachers can take points of that section
do you find that taking points off from one part of their final mark works as a deterrent?

also how often do students get expelled? I can't imagine too many with them being kids and all.

They are mostly high school students, from 14-18
Yes it is obligatory

pic related

>places like toronto and montreal and ottawa are shitholes because their are people there i don't like

k. without these cities you'd probably have to hunt moose to survive m8. i don't get this small town hate and envy for urbanites here.

Wealth isn't everything. I'd rather have a million Bancrofts over one GTA.

If anything I pity those places or at least the whites who still live there.

These punishment seems to do well with most of them.
Unfortunately, a good number of them are from rich families and has been spoiled since their birth. Each semester, we have about 1 or 2 students expelled.

How do you deal with religious differences in class?

>without these cities you'd probably have to hunt moose to survive m8
Sounds alright.

Can I move to Canada? Will you be my teacher?

How do you feel about whitey becoming a minority in canada within two decades?

not everyone is triggered by the sight of different looking people like you are.

your entire economy is sustained off tourism from toronto fucking kek. why do you hate the hand that feeds you?

We allowed any religion to be practiced in our country, even in the middle of our classes.
Most of the time, there are no incidents, but when there is, it is important that we teach them they should respect each other's belief.

It is a long and hard process, but IMO, it is worth it in the end.
Possibly.

btw jesus fuck this is pretty racist, are these actual citizens?

>We allowed any religion to be practiced in our country, even in the middle of our classes.
Yeah, I know, I think it's pretty cool. What I meant is how you treat that topic.

>your entire economy is sustained off tourism from toronto fucking kek. why do you hate the hand that feeds you?
I don't live in a small town. The hand that feeds is too shitty to ever want to eat from.

Literally Sup Forums

bancroft has like a thousand people max, its one of the small towns in cottage country.

I'm graduating in Industrial engineering, will it help/make it easier?

>different looking

Try different thinking, different sounding, different living as well. Unlike the other half of this mockery of a country I do not want to be replaced by some subhuman nigger or slopehead. John A. and the Fathers of Confederation did not unify for this bullshit. Fuck the muslims and mentally ill trannies too. 14-88 Sieg Heil. Arrest me Trudeau you French speaking faggot I'll kick your high school drama teaching ass.

Too be honest I think conservatives should be more welcoming of immigrants not because *racism is bad and we're all equals" but because most of the immigrants coming into Canada will be more conservative-leaning themselves. From the studies and researchers I've been doing (I find immigration movements and the influences people have on their new country fascinating, especially seeing how and why integration has been beneficial or damaging).

I believe that if the the more right-leaning spectrum of canadian politics managed to held themselves the immigrant welcoming banner they might find easier ground in having some of the others issues they have at heart gain a stronger foothold.

Holy fucking shit just ban all leafs.
Why are you on an international board?

>whitey becoming a minority in canada within two decades
It will be a long time until this becomes true, leafy
Sometimes I think about this when I am utterly drunk, and I am terrified too, but I have been working a good long time with these non-white people and they simply just seek a better lives than their old shitty ones.
I just don't know mates, but I have a feeling that whiteies will be alright

if you speak english AND french, its the biggest factor and will very likely guarantee you citizenship if you have a degree. the government only highers bilinguals for example and you have to speak both if you work at places that do things like issue vehicle licenses.

how easy is it to go from portugese to french?

Ethno-nationalism is more important issue than social conservatism. It is to me at least.

fuck forgot to attach.

>how easy is it to go from portugese to french?
Not hard, I think I will start learning french

It is the freedom of beliefs in Canada. We believe that each person is unique, hence the inevitable differences in beliefs.
A Canadian will listen and respect another's belief and leave them well enough alone. In case that their belief cause harm to others physically and emotionally, it is the only time that we should act

just to add, you need 68 points total. if you are under 35 and already have a professional degree you have about 35 points. speak english at near native fluency and understand it too and its like 20+ points.

I don't disagree that it might be. and I don't think you're intrinsically wrong.
I see how we deal with such things here in my country and I know for a fact that many north americans would stand in disbelief in front of my nation's stance on immigration.

However I believe you live in a place where the vast majority of the people holds views that are diametrically opposed from yours.

What can you do to make it better, and live a life that better suits your ideals? Probably very little if you stay in canada (and particularly Ontario I'm going to assume). Maybe have many children to contribute to your more immediate community in reflecting what you believe is a more "correct" demographic.

or maybe try and find a place where your ideas are going to be held as the normality for yet a long time. Unfortunately you might be in a minority, not as a white person, but as a person with certain views on the world. at least where you're located right now.

That's because you're so edgy.

k good luck m8. here's a reference system for how the points operate.

No, they are here for summer camp only.
Also see

ethnonationalism is like the complete opposite of what canada's values have promoted for 100+ years. people will be nostalgic for an "anglo past" but canada has been diverse and integrating different ethnic groups since it was founded, IE french canadians/ metis and natives in the west/runaway black slaves, etc.

Well, my point exactly.
So I was just suggesting what I thought a single person could do, within the confinement of the law and plausible achievability, to make the society he lives in to better fit his own views.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Canada has always been multicultural but it hasn't always been multiracial, at least not to large degree.

Canada until recently was a nation of Pan-Europeans uniting under the dominant and founding British identity. But then Trudeau sr. fucking ruined it all.

No offense, but the most of the chinese students account for barely 20% of attendance in all classes.
Also, they are the hardest group to encourage to "adapt" into Canada society, since their parents are rich and powerful in China and China-related countries.

Fuck off we've only been promoting multiculturalism since Cuck Sr.

Why are Russians good students?

>runaway black slaves, etc.
Not exactly a huge part of the population
, more like

As a teacher, all i ever want of the students is that they pay interest in my lesson and the passion to be a Canadian.
Russian is pretty much top tier in that wish.

>and the passion to be a Canadian.
What is that to you?

>PRC Chinese
Oh I see, I agree with you then.

It is the understanding and desire to be a part of this country, rather than a pig in a hen's cage

Well a pig cannot become a hen.

does your camp just cater to wealthy people? i use to work at a summer-camp for highschoolers interested in going to my uni. this is typically true that most groups are kinda arrogant (not surprising since its rich teenagers from china, india, russia, latin america) but seem to operate with an inferiority complex since they go to my city and realize how well-mannered people here are, and how much better our cities and standard of living is.

people don't really operate with an individual sense of identity like other people here do if they are foreign visitors imo.

If you look further, a pig is not that much different from a hen in term of use for human. This is getting out of hand. but what I am trying to say is they are not strangers from your great great grandfather. They are just trying to have a better life and earn one for their future generations.

this is a dumb line of reasoning. the prairies and northern quebec/ontario were very much mostly native/metis until ukrainians and so-on came along,

not even forgetting that there's a strong logical gap if you think a continent belongs to whites when other groups have lived here longer. i can understand if a european wants their country to be homogenous or atleast more culturally theirs, but there's literally no basis for this idea here except your own individual beliefs.

Gimme a worksheet to do and I'll see if I can do it

We do not cater to wealthy people. We provide services to whoever pay our fees for the summer camp.
I did not talk to them well enough to reach the "inferiority complex" like you mentioned, but I do not believe that is the case. They are simply spoiled to the point that they don't find anything interesting beyond their ipad apps and childish behaviors. But hey, it is our job to get them to be interested.
We tried our best, and we fail or succeed? Who knows ?

For 200 years this continent was ours. The British created Canada and the US. It is ours and anyone else who wants to come here needs to integrate or leave.

eh my university has the same type of mentality, IE spoilted rich kids from china/dubai/etc. who don't plan on staying here, and most thankfully don't, but also people who have relatively normal ambitions to live in a stable, prosperous and comfy country who do end up staying here.

I think his point was that canada was founded by white people.
I fond it strange that metis are considered native americans, but the others definitely need larger areas like they do down in Brazil.

>I fond it strange that metis are considered native americans
Why is it strange?

>Canada until recently was a nation of Pan-Europeans uniting under the dominant and founding British identity
Why are white nationalists always so ignorant of history?
The process leading to official multiculturalism started because of three factors: the declining relevance of the British Empire after WWII; the increasing relevance of American cultural and economic influence; and maybe most importantly, Quebecois wanting French Canadian-ness to have equal recognition alongside British Canada. This started in the 1950s up the the early 1970s when multiculturalism was adopted.

Trudeau Sr at first accepted biculturalism, but this caused an uproar from other European immigrant groups who felt that they'd be relegated to second-tier status - Ukrainians, Poles, Italians, etc. So the final compromise was multiculturalism. It was political pressure from EUROPEANS that caused multiculturalism; non-European groups were far too small in number to have any political influence whatsoever, except maybe Native Americans who no one really cared much about back then.

It's ironic that those who claim to care the most about preserving bygone identities know the least about them.

eh mine was different because we mostly just teach them about living in canada from an adult POV/about university and type of shit they will learn and do.

it really is based on their own motivations imo, some really like it and are open-minded and smart enough to take in the info, but like anything else you can't really reach a person unless they have it in them first.

i don't disagree with you that there are certain values everyone needs to respect and adhere too but i'm arguing with the user who thinks its a whites only country and trying to argue for a Sup Forums state.

Because they're half european.

So? They still have native blood.

So? They still have foreign blood

nobody likes spoilt brats, they seem to have the idea that the world doesn't evolve around them and are adamant to changes. Unlike those rich chinks, my parents came here poor and vulnerable. They strife to make ends meet, either adapt, assimilate or simply parish from the weight of pressure and prejudice

But the native blood is what connects them to the land. Plus, it's not like Metis were created in Europe and then migrated to Canada.

yeah, alot of rich kids i've met seem to just use this country/their education as a shopping mall which helps our economy surely, but most of them lack a personal drive to do anything else but satiate their wants and never turn out to become well-adjusted people imo.

i mostly pity alot of them imo.

You cannot possibly expect your "pure Candian blood" (if it even exists in the first place) to survive in the next change sequence of human. If that is true, then you stand alone my friend.

It was British Canadians themselves back in the fifties and sixties who gradually (maybe begrudgingly) relinquished the idea that to be Canadian was to be British. Don't project your desire to keep national identities fixed onto other people, past and present. There were huge debates about this that occurred in Parliament and the public sphere (eg, newspapers) in which people with your views ended up losing.

How do they measure Adaptability?

And neither can metis? I'm not sure what you mean.

protip:

their culture and identity was shaped by natives more so because their european heritage was mostly just fur-trappers who had to learn native ways to survive, while at the same time maintaining european religion and some dress/clothes.

think of it as a nation descendend from leonardo dicaprio in the revenant. you can understand why native identity turned out bigger here.

if you worked here in the past its 10 points.

I'm trying to say that you should drop your view of Canadian and nor-Canadian based on their origins. It is in our belief that everyone should pursuit a better life despite their upbringings.

Nevermind, just saw the reference you linked here I must admit that I find it a bit strange how Canadians in Sup Forums (and in general as well) seem to want immigrants and support immigration from most countries.

>I must admit that I find it a bit strange how Canadians in Sup Forums (and in general as well) seem to want immigrants and support immigration from most countries.
They want cute asian girls to move there

>canadians of int support immigrants

nope i can guarantee you most leafs here are right of centre. they adapt to the Sup Forums-lite attitude here to fit in. its a way different attitude than everyday life, since normal people IRL aren't sjws or alt-rightists except the internet and a few college campuses.

>It is in our belief that everyone should pursuit a better life despite their upbringings.
That wasn't why I brought up metis.
I agree, everybody should be able to pursue a better life, by making their country better regardless of boundaries.