Would the Silmarillion work better as a movie or a TV series?

Would the Silmarillion work better as a movie or a TV series?

Neither, that mistake was already made with the Hobbit

the only way it could work is adapting certain events, but nobody in the general public would care so that'd never happen

Yea, make a movie about a bunch of autistic singing ghosts

TV series but it would be terrible either way. It takes place over thousands of years with literally thousands of uneventful years separating anything interesting.

They need to make the Kinslaying into some form of PSA though just so everyone with always be reminded of the treachery of elves.

They've already done 6, whats the harm in like 14 more?

>treachery of elves
>implying those pussies didn't deserve it

turning down the true heir of the noldor baka

9 hour trilogy, despite tolkienfags telling otherwise, there are lots of stuff that could be cut and wouln't affect the bigger picture.

50 years from now people will still complain about Mim being cut out.

Who would argue that there's NOT a lot of stuff that can be cut? The Silmarrilion is a series of vaguely connected stories spanning thousands of years and dozens of characters. Of course things can be cut, it isn't a single story

like lotr and the hobbit it works MUCH better as a book

It works best as a book

yeah but who's going to bother putting all the energy into turning the scripts into novels? idiots

Neither, it'd be like adapting the Bible.

Making the Silmarillion into a movie would be like taking a college course book and making a script
You miss out on the substance by trying to make a story out of the cliffnites

I'd stick to the story of how Sauron caused that Island to be destroyed (Numerians).

That could work as a single movie (but they will ruin it by turning it into three movies).

They can't do that because Sauron still looked pretty and it would confuse the normies. Also people would take "black Numenorians" and put it in the wrong context.

Why can't you have time jumps? I'm sure there's a creative way to do it, similar to how the book does (I never read the book so Idk how it handles them)

My idea for the optimal Silmarillion adaptation is a highly stylized animated miniseries, but there's literally no chance of it happening

First, it can't happen because the movie rights are being actively defended.

But, if I were to make something out if it. It should focus on Sauron and the ring. I have not read the book, but I guess there is some shit related to that in it.

Once Tolkien's kids die it'll be possible, and they're all pretty old. I'd say it's possible within our lifetimes, but unlikely due to the lack of widespread appeal the movie would have. Also, Sauron and the Ring are in the book, but it's only a relatively small portion of the overarching story

Sauron's biggest role in the book is losing to a girl and her talking dog.

HBO tv series

>Once Tolkien's kids die it'll be possible
Yeah. But some of Christopher sons liked the LotR films. One of them even visited the set when they were filming.

Sketch show.

neat
>Chris Tolkien is 92
>his sister is 87
the rights will be sold for a movie license in the next 5 years

>What do you mean she's my sister?!
>womp womp wooomp

it should be a miniseries, something like 12 hours probably
although is largely right

Convincing the Númenóreans to start sacrificing people to Morgoth and send a fleet to Valinor was mildly important.

hate to admit this but it would only work as an anime.

while the Akallabêth is included in the book The Silmarillion, it is not a part of the Quenta Silmarillion proper.

This.

They would butcher it and fill the cast with niggers and women

>while the Akallabêth is included in the book The Silmarillion
And you said "the book." I don't give a damn about your back peddling. Never respond to me again.

If some studio insists on adapting the Silmarillion - which is a mistake in itself - a TV series would be the more sensible choice of the two, considering it is, in effect, a collection of short stories.

Because the Silmarillion is not a fucking novel, its the autistic ramblings of a dying old man.

Redone as a dnd campaign, a harmonquest movie: the slimilarion

i bet you think there are only three books in The Lord of the Rings instead of six.

Why not just pick select stories, make them into NINETY MINUTE movies, not 3 fucking hours, 2 hours tops for some, but dont make them 3 fucking hours long

Forging of Silmarills and Kinslaying
The Children of Hurin
Beren and Lúthien

would be decent stand alones
but they would want another trilogy

He actually wrote them when he was younger and stopped to write the hobbit and lotr. He went back and dabbled with the Silmarillion but never finished it. It probably his most idyllic set of stories.

Beren and Luthien is my favorite of his works, and it was inspired by meeting his wife, and it shows.

Too bad it doesnt get much love, would rather have seen that adapted into a whole book instead of Children of Hurin

you mean animation

LOTR is essentially the western canon filtered into a fantasy series

it should be a western animation with a fairly stoic and realistic style

the soundtrack should be compiled from/covers and medleys of Led Zeppelin

>Too bad it doesnt get much love, would rather have seen that adapted into a whole book instead of Children of Hurin
google is your best friend

> I'm sure there's a creative way to do it

There is

They won't do it

>Berenfags
get out
turin is the hero we deserve
fucking tuor and beren get everything and turin gets the shaft because his dad had brass balls
eru is a cunt

i said anime because the west doesn't produce adult oriented non-comedy cartoons that go on for hundreds of episodes.

FPBP

Turin fucking Turumbar is all that matters in the books.

Isn't Chris giving the rights to the son who said "Fuck the movies" though?

Can already hear the distant sound of hand wringing

Maybe a TV show like Black Mirror would be the ideal model for an adaptation, but the cost per episode would be extreme, so the possibility of this happening is true in maybe 50 years from now. An adaptation right now would be fucking cheap as hell and would make a disservice to the grandiosity of the book.

If you're a degenerate chad, sure

beren was a chad and luthien was a stacy
the fuck are you smoking

Turin was very far from a Chad. Turin was cursed for life for his father's actions and even after proving himself was met with a solid "fuck off".

But the real sin in your post was doubting Men at all.

Peter Jackson's "The Silmarillion" trilogy (tm):

Movie 1: Creation of the Silmarils in intro narration. Cheesy dramatic scenes where Feanor threatens Fingolfin. Ungoliant must be made with bad CGI. Movie ends with Feanor's death. Leader of the Teleri played by Sean Bean. Post-credits: Fingolfin crossing the ice looking real pissed off.

Movie 2: Movie focuses on setting up Gondolin as the hope of elves. Humans arrive in middle earth. Movie shows Maeglin creeping on his cousin. Ends with Fingolfin's death (played by Sean Bean). Post credits: Shadowy sillhouette (Maeglin) talking to Melkor.

Movie 3: Hurin captured in the first five minutes. For the ENTIRE rest of the 180 minute movie, the screen is split (5%/95%) and in the 5%, they show Hurin sitting uncomfortably on his chair, getting older. Whichever actor plays Hurin is forced to really sit there for 3 hours while fliming. Most Turin stuff gets cut becuase it's too much of a side-quest and also Peter Jackson makes another trilogy of it later. Main focus of the movie is Luthien and Beren. Huan is coming relief like Gimli and has no speaking restrictions. Ends with Morgoth (Sean Bean) being thrown into the void. Turin is there to see Morgoth dethroned, and walks up to Hurin on the main screen which then merges with the 5% screen at the end. Post-credits: Sauron walking into Mount Doom or making a ring or something.

Score written by Blind Guardian.

>score done by anyone other than Howard Shore

>implying I won't take part in your damned fate

>treachery
You mean those cunts teleri who couldn't spare some ships to help Feanor get his revenge on the asshole who killed his father and stole his shit?

I want a Silmarillion musical on the notes of a nightfall in middle earth

The Kinslaying is the closest thing to Original Sin the LotR reality has, and you are excusing it. Go complain about the consistency of maggots in your levened bread elsewhere.

What are the other three

The Ring Sets Out
The Ring Goes South
The Treason of Isengard
The Ring Goes East
The War of the Ring
The End of the Third Age

I wish the feanorfags would leave, we don't want your kind in here, noldor scum

I think the Downfall of Numenor is the most adaptable part of the Silmarillion.

The plot consists of the Empire of Numenor in its last days, starting with the Numenorian war against Sauron, peaking with the civil war between the King's Men and the Elf-friends, and ending with the Siege of Bara-dur, and Elendil, Isildur and Gil-galad heading off to their final battle. It would be filmed in eight or so parts, with time skips in between them in the style of a miniseries like John Adams.

Main characters:

> Ar-Pharazon the Golden: A man consumed by ambition, but who starts with good intentions -- Walter White if he'd stayed with Gray matter. Main motivation: "Around Elves, watch yourselves." Played by Mads Mikkelsen.
> Tar-Miriel: Ar-Pharazon's wife and cousin, she tries to find a way to survive the politicking of Numenor and retain some sense of agency. Played by Evan Rachel Wood or someone like her who can make an angry badger face on command.
> Elendil: One of Ar-Pharazon's advisors and an Elf-Friend, whose conscience gets the better of him. Played by Ciaran Hinds.
> Sauron: Also known as Tar-Mairon, the BBEG we all know and love. Portrayed as being a master manipulator and public speaker, but also wise and powerful -- much like the inverse of Gandalf. Played by James Purefoy.
> Some Elf Bitch: Because there needs to be one of those. Love interest for Isildur or something.
> Isildur: The tousle-headed male lead. Headstrong and brave, he provides much of the combat in the series. Played by Lorenzo Richelmy.
> Gil-galad: The leader of the Elves of Middle-earth, and the outside perspective that Elendil needs. Portrayed as alien and aloof, to the point where there has to be some question as to whether Sauron is telling the truth about elves. Played by Jason Isaacs, or some other actor known for villainous roles.

But yeah, "Rome in Middle-earth" seems like the best way to play it.

fuck off
i bet you're a bloody vanyar

Will we get such a remake of LotR "soon"? I almost think so.

I can see it working best as a series of art works. I'm not kidding. Just depictions complementing certain passages of the Silmarilion. Entire paintings or sculptures of deities and people, similar to how we make art pieces of religious texts

Gay

>/covers and medleys of Led Zeppelin
and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer... Floyd... Deep Purple...