Anyone else think 90s indie rock sounds really gay and ineffectual? Whiny as fuck, patronising...

Anyone else think 90s indie rock sounds really gay and ineffectual? Whiny as fuck, patronising, seeming to take the listener for some sort of bowl cut clad clown, cliché, amateurish, etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/V2yy141q8HQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any band would look bad when you post their second worst album.

Fuck off you plebs

Pavement is the only good band that even comes close to what you're describing

whats wrong with gay?

Yes, but that's literally what all indie rock sounds like. It's an entire genre of shite like that. An entire genre that belongs as, and only as, a soundtrack to opening one's veins in a piping hot bath.

Pavement is one of the best bands of the 90s. OP just happened to not post one of their better albums.

*tips fedora*

christ, pavement fans on Sup Forums have the worst taste in pavement

*blocks your shit taste*
youtu.be/V2yy141q8HQ

Just stop. S&E is the sound of a talented band and a genius songwriter who hasn't realized his full potential yet.

WZ > BtC > CRCR > S&E > TT

True patricians know that lo-fi Pavement is best Pavement.

Watery Domestic > S&E > Westing >>>>>>> All

I can't believe people listen to this.

>tfw grew out of Pavement and realised what a piece of shit band they were
once I heard Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Big Idiot God, and other 80's college rock I never looked back

also Built to Spill and Archers of Loaf>Pavement

Are you kidding me? It encapsulates the sound of desperation! The cheery vibe initiated from the sampling descends into a bleak atmosphere of weakness, as the distorted guitars interspersed give the song an eerie, surreal aura!

>Watery Domestic
A mediocre song, a great song, another mediocre song, and a pretty good song. In that order.
>S&E
Listen to it again with fresh ears, the flaws start to pile up pretty fast. I still love it though.
>Westing
Haven't listened in long enough to comment.
I don't get Built to Spill at all and that last Archers of Loaf album is pretty impossible to defend.

>btc that high
Opnion discarded. tracks 9 through 12 are some of their worst songs ever
>that lo-fi Pavement is best Pavement
this.

>Mission of Burma
Good shit.

Don't think I don't have my fair share of a connection with early Pavement, but on record they were a weaker band at that time. A lot of Slanted songs like Fame Throwa are just one riff over and over with another vaguely fitting idea stuck in. Repeated lyrical ideas and chord progressions. Songs that drag. Bee Thousand is the good end of sloppy lo-fi indie, S&E is the slightly worse side.

Passat Dream and Starlings in the Slipstream are amazing tho

Nothing necessarily, it's just an apt descriptor for indie, is it not?

>ineffectual
>Whiny as fuck, patronising, seeming to take the listener for some sort of bowl cut clad clown, cliché, amateurish, etc?

What did he mean by this, and why did he spell patronizing with an s?

Sup Forums is objectively the worst board on Sup Forums. I honestly don't know why I come here.

The main idea of the original gay rights movement was that being gay had nothing to do with who you are, that being gay doesn't make you different. Now, to suggest that a gay person's gayness is irrelevant to who they are is considered "erasing their gay identity." Similarly to how "blacks are the same as whites, just with a different skin color" gradually became "don't make us act white, accept that we're black."

>What did he mean by this
If you want the definition of whiny, ineffectual and amateurish, just speak to your dad.

>why did he spell patronizing with an s?
It's called not being a third world ogre that's browner than a paper bag, tried it?

>third world ogre that's browner than a paper bag

careful lest I report you to a bobbie for racism, britfag

how can music be ineffectual, especially as it applies to Pavement?

I mean, I guess I could accept amateurish because its slacker aesthetic is exactly the point. but if its self-aware of its DIY aesthetic, then does the "amateurish" tag even apply anymore? I take it back, this doesn't make sense either.

Please identify the aspects of S&E that qualify as whiny.

and finally, patronizing is spelled with a z. Not an s, child.

Go away

youre conflating 80s/90s indie & alternative with 00s Indie(tm) like Death Cab For Cutie and Bright Eyes

Screw off, Death Cab For Cutie is legitimately good.

nah, i reckon that album is fantastic, in the mouth a desert is such a winner track

CR,CR > S&E > BtC > TT > WZ

for years i thought the chorus went
WELL I'VE BEEN CROWNED
THE KING OF SHIT
and i thought that was a great line, too

>inb4 KOREA/CAREER

the whole album is a true 9.5, maybe 10/10. Anyone who disagrees has their opinion permanently cast into the trash.

shout i cop first malkmus solo at 4$

yes

it's not far behind Pavement level imo (Face the Truth is his best solo/Jicks album tho)

archers of loaf fucking suck ass

>wowee zowee
>the album with some of their best tracks on it
>last

thats Sup Forums, Sup Forums Sup Forums or /s4s/. Sup Forums isnt even close to worst board, you haven't been to a truly bad board or witnessed a board turn into shit

This. Pre-Sup Forums cancer Sup Forums was even comfy sometimes.

Sup Forums is Hell

No dude, Sup Forums is the worst. I WANT to like it but its consistently shitty. I wish they'd enable country flags on posts here. It would confirm a lot of shit I suspect about this board, I bet.

The worst threads get the most activity here. I don't get it. Just look at the catalog right now.. just awful.

>. I wish they'd enable country flags on posts here.
then you'd see at least 10 threads talking about the flags and Sup Forums memes disguising themselves as music threads

see Sup Forums is the nadir of this shithole. it's all Star Wars shit, capeshit, Sup Forums shit, pedo shit, and shitting on bona fide classics just because they are well-known (not even Sup Forums is that obscurity elitist) or made before 1980. they pretty much hate everything and value being a contrarian above all else (i doubt they have an honest thought or opinion about any show or movie)

fuck 'em

you're just projecting your own personality

meant to link not

>then you'd see at least 10 threads talking about the flags and Sup Forums memes disguising themselves as music threads

price I'd be willing to pay to help cut through the bullshit. maybe it would give you the option to filter by flag.. would be nice.

ya know, even though I don't visit Sup Forums a ton, I've never thought that it succumbs to the pointless dreck that Sup Forums subscribes to. maybe I'll go pay it a visit now just to confirm. usually, the threads I create in Sup Forums get consistent response. whatever it is about here, my threads struggle to get noticed. I'll look at the catalog to see what's getting posts and its just shit I have no interest in, and can't understand why anyone at all would even find those threads interesting. what's considered "interesting" or "news" here just isn't anywhere else. there's too many foreigners diluting relevant culture away here.

>there's too many foreigners diluting relevant culture away here.
oh, you're retarded. nvm you will fit right in on Sup Forums, big guy

I mean, for you.. what country are you from? I'm sure are interests are different. Please don't tell me you come here for the k-pop

Another thing that irks me about Sup Forums is its wholesale rejection of Spotify. Spotify could've made this board great. God damn shame.