youtube.com/watch?v=R41XYa5yO-U
youtube.com/watch?v=g_ihXlWKC7g
youtube.com/watch?v=MK73Y-W8JJg
youtube.com/watch?v=_nGsT_qFMBs
youtube.com/watch?v=l9C-gfrYaKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=V0Xx2uM8gbY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Face lift isnt grunge.

>my definition of grunge will arbitrarily change just so I can gatekeep a genre to feel superior

you want to call dirt, sap, jar of flies, and self titled grunge? be my guess. But facelift isnt grunge

Fair point. I agree AIC is more metal, but this album is certainly is included in discussions about "grunge" music. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

LEGENDARY

lmao dude you got btfo just stop posting

Skin Yard -s/t
youtu.be/k70ldeyK-S4

Skin Yard was Soundgardens sister band.
Matt Cameron plays drums on this album

Never heard. Better be good.

let me know what you think user

>Facelift
>grunge

It's metal/hard rock. It is one of my top favorite albums though.

Love skin yard. Fucking sick baselines on this album.

I like it. You can sense something there. Not a big fan on its own desu. Thanks for posting it.

Love Battery - Dayglo is fucking awesome too.
youtu.be/9tT8Wi3c_1Y

>Facelift
>grunge
Good one desu

>though
Is it not grunge? No element of it is grunge? Please explain

i'm being honest borther.
Stop being smug, how do you know this isn't grunge?

I've always thought of there being two sides to Grunge.
the Punk side: NIrvana, Mudhoney, ect
and
the Metal side: Alice in Chain, (early) Soundgarden, ect

dirt is my favorite alice in chains album and song

Grunge is a meme
Just have your singer sound like goat and you're grunge

Nah it sounds nothing like the metal of the time.
Dirt is a better example of grunge though.

Because there is no punk element and because it sounds more like Guns n Roses than it does Nirvana

i do as well. nirvana and mudhoney are way more punk than metal but aren't quite enough of either to be considered just one or the other. and i feel like alice in chains and melvins are metal bands thrown into the grunge label because of where they were and who they played with.
all four are great bands and i love them

Only in retrospect, you need to know the music that was playing at the time. Facelift was different and fit into grunge easily back then.
Nowadays, the media distorts what is and isn't "grunge".

Grunge was a broad sound, arguably going from Jane's Addiction's psych/alternative sound, to Nirvana's punk sound, to bands like Jesus Lizard, Melvins, The Scientists and various bands that have unique sounds at the time.
Most of grunge was the content and style of the lyrics, the themes. The sound was not as distingishable.

Then again, most genres are never simply sounds, there's always context and themes that relate to it.

>no punk element
There's heaps of punk element in it, the fuck are you listening to?
He literally boasts about heroin use in the last song.

>Drummer Sean Kinney rejects the grunge label, stating in a 2013 interview "I mean, before we first came out there was no grunge, they hadn’t invented that word. Before they invented the word grunge we were alternative rock and alternative metal and metal and rock, and we didn’t give a shit

If you mean general early 90s alt rock or so, this one's my favorite.

Most grunge bands rejected the label though.
That was part of grunge. It was more of a niche attitude than a sound. And a forced meme that became something real.

Look at the interviews of AiC, the whole time they are mocking the industry.
That's quintessential grunge.

>alice in chains and melvins are metal bands thrown into the grunge label because of where they were and who they played with.
Exactly.

U-Men, not Jane's Addiction

>U-Men, not Jane's Addiction
Some would say the Birthday Party had elements of the "shock" and "social decay" part of grunge.
And the sort of bluesy flavour in some ways.

Some would even drag shoegaze bands that were doing the loudness thing, that became a part of it.
It never had a comfortable set of goal posts, only one definable album as a "compass point"

Guns n Roses has a punk element
Why is punk needed in Grunge?
Why is Nirvana your benchmark for what Grunge is?

Some grunge bands were influenced by them, they were unique for "hair metal" because there was a sniff of criticism of the way society was in it.

And them and faith no more certainly opened the door for what followed.

I think Is correct in pointing out the U-Men, there was that dirtyness to grunge. A bluesy sexiness.
With noises intending to sound a bit jaded.

As far as a grunge sound, U-Men has the 'dirty' punk sound many Seattle bands used and many of them cite U-Men as one of their influences.
but even Mark Arms first band Mr. Epp goes back to 1980, so you could even credit him with the creation of the grunge sound.

>posts scott
STP stopped being grunge after Purple and that was probably for the best. RIP.

I would say they ripped off the scientists and birthday party too.
Btw that sounds in revival down here again.. interesting.

I heard that the term "Grunge rock" originated in the early 80's Australian underground scene.
Can't recall where I heard it though, dunno if true.

I think grunge would have had a revival had Weiland and Cornell not died.
People are dying for some authentic rock n roll

I think that's crap though, though it does sound like aussie slang "Oi cunt stop that fucking grunge".
Melvins, Nirvana and that were apparently into the naughty sounding rock that came from here, the rock that took the piss.
e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=yl7hadboHQ0 (great album)
That was influenced by pub rock here, because punk never quite took off here. You needed attitude and boogie. Still is like that here. Oh and AC/DC and The Angels.

I think the term is yanks taking the piss of our slang. I think it was from seattle though.

Wish we could turn this into an AiC thread instead

I love Core and Purple. I agree. After that everything was different. why do you think it was for the best?

what are your top 3 AiC songs ?

I think gizz is a sniff of something that's emerging. But that melb sound is a bit tame, needs more provocation.

Heard a decent hardcore punk band from Detroit recently called "child bite". They did some stuff with the Melvins who are STILL touring everywhere.
Great Dead Kennedys/ Jesus Lizard/ Birthday Party sort of thing going.

People gotta stop splitting hairs over Grunge's sound and realize it's just a scene; a particular place in a particular time.

That's how AiC's Dirt is considered grunge while their EPs Jar of Flies and Sap are also considered grunge, while sounding COMPLETELY different from one another.

The same goes for Nirvana's studio albums and their MTV Unplugged live album.

There are some arguably not so good tracks on that.
And some underrated gold.

This track is also a hidden gem.
youtube.com/watch?v=qKXIk45pL0o
Wasted on a fucking soundtrack for a shit "burnt out schwarzenegger in need of cash and roles" flick

I think its more accurate to call it Seattle Scene, rather than Grunge.
There's a lot of similarities with say other 'Scenes', ie, incestuous bands,

I agree.
People always bitch though "YOU CAN'T CALL THAT GRUNGE REEEEEEEE"

wew lads

>Mark Arm, the vocalist for the Seattle band Green River—and later Mudhoney—is generally credited as being the first to use the term grunge to describe the Seattle genre of music. Arm first used the term in 1981, when he wrote a letter under his given name Mark McLaughlin to the Seattle zine Desperate Times, criticizing his own band Mr. Epp and the Calculations as "Pure grunge! Pure noise! Pure shit!".[9]
>Arm said years later that he did not make the term up himself; he stated that the term had been used in Australia in the mid-1980s to describe bands such as King Snake Roost, The Scientists, Salamander Jim, and Beasts of Bourbon.[11] Arm used grunge as a descriptive term rather than a genre term, but it eventually came to describe the punk/metal hybrid sound of the Seattle music scene.[12]

>better than any AiC album

To me it was the loudest underground bands of the late 80's early 90's that broke the mainstream and fucked everybody's heads and society in general, for shits and gigs.

People underestimate the influence of musical shitposting on Grunge. It made the attitude.

>why do you think it was for the best?
Because they stopped being buttrock. I fucking love Purple though.

But I will say grunge (in America) was louder and more metal, and far better dress sense wise.
youtube.com/watch?v=GOM5BUJ6fgw
Kim Salmon's an odd one.. Lived in a wreck of a place with heaps of other similar bands. Were also stuck in a town with no musical outlet other than the worst joints in town. He played in a lot of those bands.

For me, it has to be We Die Young and God Am.

Number one has to go Lying Season
>mfw the chorus

Would, Nutshell, Dam That River.

Does Grebo have any relation to Grunge?
I never got into, wondering if it's like a parallel genre, like Aussie pub rock is to grunge.

This was Seattle Grunge back before the word 'Grunge' existed.

Read the thread retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=KTCg66kb4IY

Mono Men
youtube.com/watch?v=wOtLZVjM5tk

youtube.com/watch?v=S5cQ8sQtdJo
Hmm, this is pretty close to grunge in some ways too.
Legendary band.

I can also see what Mark Arm and Buzz were on about with this band too.
Dat growl.
Dat riff.
youtube.com/watch?v=R41XYa5yO-U

underrated gem

What?

Green River weren't the first on that path.
In fact, there is no clear "first grunge" band. It just mutated into something that became huge in the early 90's.

>be my guess

Grunge as a whole isn't really a thing. Just a term journalists/publications used to group together a bunch of different sounding bands that shared a similar scene/aesthetic, but not necessarily sound. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Nirvana really don't sound all that much alike, but they came around from a similar place at a similar time so they get grouped together.
Scentless Apprentice is a jam for years.

Frogs, No excuses and over now

Im abov and river of deceit are the only good songs in the ehole album, the rest isn't that great

>who they played with
that's the most defining grunge quality tho

Big four grunge rankings?
For me I'll say Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Pearl Jam

> be my guess

Is it Grunge checklist:
Washing State?
Early 80s to mid 90s?
Is it rock music?
is it on Sub Pop or C/Z records?
Is it incestuously made up of other qualifying bands?
Any songs about the culture/scene
Was Jack Endino the sound engineer?

this.

fucking Nutshell hits me in the feels so god damn hard

youtube.com/watch?v=g_ihXlWKC7g

Gruntruck: youtube.com/watch?v=MK73Y-W8JJg

Mudhoney: youtube.com/watch?v=_nGsT_qFMBs

youtube.com/watch?v=l9C-gfrYaKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=V0Xx2uM8gbY
This album was way underrated.

killer taste, user
same, with maybe no excuses instead of lying season

john bigley is my uncle

from the u-men bitches

Shit brings back my Idaho childhood. Everything posted on this thread would play regularly on the radio station I liked.

>post grunge

I'm pretty sure they were the first to sign to the sub-pop label. The members also went to form later Grunge band such as Mudhoney and Pearl Jam.

It's good post-grunge but

>pearl jam
>good
good one user

Oh man, you can't just ask for something like that when they have so many gems in their discography. Top 10 or 15 maybe I could manage, but no way I'd be able to pick top 3 out of all this gold

one of the best of any hard rock really

i don't think pearl jam are really a 'grunge' band, like they were there at the time and wore the clothes but yeah, still sorta like stadium rock (imo)

wow this ruined my day

>FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTEEEEEEEER WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN