Probably late to the party here, but is pic related dead? How the fuck is Bodak Yellow the #1 song of the year...

Probably late to the party here, but is pic related dead? How the fuck is Bodak Yellow the #1 song of the year? How the fuck? A lot of idiots actually respect this site?

when was pitchfork alive?
they've always been shit

>listening to the "opinions" of a business

That was retarded even by p4k standards.
Like No Flocking is superior in every way. I do not understand why bodak yellow is more popular.

They had no credibility to begin with. The only people that read it are plebs who need others to tell them what to like.

because it slaps ho

they literally sold out lol

they're gonna slowly downgrade and lose staff over the next few years until its mostly freelance writers and genuine-buzzfeed tier

Bodak Yellow's the first female fronted hip hop track since some shit in the late 90s by Lauryn Hill to reach #1 in all the charts without any features. Considering it's still early on in Cardi's career, that's a fantastic achievement.

PITCHFORK REFLECTS TRENDS NOT OBJECTIVE TRUTH IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR OBJECTIVELY MUSIC TO BE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED THEN JUST WAIT FOR YOUR TURN IN THE CYCLE

what does that even mean

PItchfork is dad music journalism.

I really, sincerely doubt that.
Also that doesn’t = a good song.

>I really, sincerely doubt that
This isn't up for debate. It's a fact.
>Also that doesn’t = a good song.
That's subjective and up to each individual person. You can't make everyone happy if we go by your or mine or anyone else's personal arbitrary standards for good.

What matters more, the content of the song or the cultural achievement? I know they try and take both in with they grade this stuff, but you would think content matters more and Bodak Yellow doesn't have much good content.

FUNNY
PUNCHY
MEAN

Who the fuck are you or anyone else to judge content of song? That's some subjective shit, and if you try to think otherwise your head's too far up your own ass. Cultural importance for such a list is far more important than "content" because that means the work was able to affect actual existence itself on a larger scale. If it's good or not is your own personal thing, but you can't mix that up with everyone else.

Oh shit didn't know we had Cardi B herself on /mu tonight. I'm sorry I don't find a generic trap beat with similar lyrical themes to what thousands of rappers have rapped about before special, or even good, because this time it was done by a black-latina lady.

Dude I don't care for her music in terms of personal listening, either. You can try looking for her in this chart of mine that entails my favorite 2017 records. Hint: she's not there. I guess I am just sorry that you are so far up your own ass that all you can do is think just from your perspective like you're the center of the universe.

Just listened to it for the first time, yeah, what the fuck. This is objectively bland, rehashing the same tropes of rap music for the last 25 years, we get it your rich and the shit.

What in the fuck are you on about? There are are songs that I don't like, but understand why they are good. Plenty of them actually. Bodak Yellow is not one of them. Like I say, it's not exactly a bad song, but it is generic and that it is even on the top 100 is laughable. Are you trying to say we are not allowed to say songs are bad anymore because someone out there may like the song?

they only promote niggers now, no more disgusting wh*te people

>Are you trying to say we are not allowed to say songs are bad anymore because someone out there may like the song?
no what he is saying dumbass. that other ppl(millions) think the song is good and p4k themselves agreed with them. is it that hard to comprehend that p4k doesn't evolve around you anymore?

>There are are songs that I don't like, but understand why they are good. Plenty of them actually.
This is ridiculous. If you aren't secure enough in your opinion to argue that something is not good by virtue of you not liking it, you're not worth taking seriously.

I never said you can't hate on the track. But if you don't realize why it would be number 1 on a list of top tracks of the year; a list curated by a site that works within its specific culture, not just one person's specific taste or one genre, it makes perfect sense why it would be a viable choice.

Not this fucking shit again. Music is subjective, but some songs are objectively shit. There's nothing new or interesting here.

>but some songs are objectively shit
Nope. No such thing. You ain't shit as a person that can take away someone's else enjoyment of a particular musical work no matter how shitty you think it is.

They literally only put her up there because she is a brown woman. That's why she's popular in the first place too, even though she is bland as shit. If p4k really wanted to play that card so badly, they should have done it with SZA or something

>he still thinks an artistic medium like music has some subjective-objective duality
>he still doesn't realize it's all just rationalizations based on how you emotionally respond to the material
Not this fucking shit again.
>everyone who disagrees with someone is implicitly trying to make them feel bad for liking what they disagree on
You sound underage.

>You sound underage.
Nope. All I saying is that you're self-centered as fuck if you believe that music can be objectively good or bad because there'll always be someone that likes something because that's their own personal taste. I bet you can't even come up with a criteria of what makes music objectively good or bad. Believing that music has objective metrics outside analysis purposes is the true underage view. Note how you can only also say "not this shit" or "underage".

See that would be a head up ass view point.

So what makes the track good then? All I got from the P4 blurb on their top songs is she is confident and she is apart of a marginalized group. Credit is due for being able to convey an emotion like confidence in song, but outside of that I don't see much. If that is selfish in your eyes, fine. I'm not criticizing those who like it, I'm not calling them dumb. If people have it as their #1 song of the year or decade or ever because they like the sound and her confidence, so be it. From a music review source, I expect more. Is that me shitting on the song, yes. I'm shitting on it, because I don't think it deserves #1, or even top 100. Other than that, it's whatever.

So popular song = good?

So is anything objective at all or is everything subjective in medium?

You're confused. I'm arguing that framing music in objective terms is impossible because "good" is an intrinsically subjective concept which disqualifies "objectivity" altogether. "Good" doesn't exist without someone bestow it as being good. and are my only posts in here so far. I just take issue with what you said about taking away someone else's enjoyment.

>So what makes the track good then?
I literally keep saying that this is subjective, what don't you get about that? Are you fucking blind, trolling or retarded?

>From a music review source, I expect more.
Like what? To cater to your tastes? When they cover as much music as they do with the traffic they get do you really think that's possible? That's not how these things work. Perhaps you should instead find a publication or reviewer that caters to your interests.

I would think that from a mainstream perspective it is probably far more viable than any other chart topper because of the cultural achievement attached to it and the success it has relative to the newness of the artist. These kinds of things make it relevant. Such relevancy definitely makes it a contender for some kind of "best of 2017" list.

In relation to what? Lets keep this to music. The actual qualities of the music. Pitch, timbre, dynamics, structure, etc.. Those things can be analyzed and we can note them down. But whether or not a particular choice of those is overall a good or bad thing? That's subjective.
The whole point of my taking away someone's enjoyment post is that such a concept is ridiculous.

So is there any objective thing that makes up good music? Or is it all subjective? All these highly thought of albums here, the mucore for example, is the only pillar of good they stand on is people here enjoy listening to them and that's it? I've played those for other people before and they all give me confused glances and did the old, quiet "yeah, it was good...." I know it's arguable, but those albums are not objectively good? Only subjectively to this part of the internet? Are artists that are commonly considered good like David Bowie, Radiohead, Kanye West, NMH, etc. only good subjectively?

I'm honestly not trying to troll, and I understand judging mediums is part subjective, but there has to be some objectivity, no?

>but there has to be some objectivity, no?
no it doesn't.

Well then what makes certain albums highly thought of? Like why is ItAOtS so highly thought of? Or Loveless?

> Like why is ItAOtS so highly thought of?
because critics and ppl subjectively thought it was good? i don't see the issue here
this is art not sports. heck even in sports ppl can't pick an objective best player due to era's and matchups.
i don't see why you would think its easier in music especially with how we humans are react differently to certain sounds. i know plenty of ppl who can't stand jeffs voice. i myself do like nmh but is it something i put on everyday let alone week? no. in fact that album went from being a 9/10 to 6/10 for me just because i don't really enjoy it anymore.

BLACKED

Nope, no objectivity. You said it, it's the internet that's usually just really into certain artists. Like Neutral Milk Hotel or Death Grips both have enormous internet presences that's counter to most average people not finding either group pleasant to listen to. Others like Beatles, Bowie, Radiohead, and Kanye all have influence that goes far beyond the internet as they are all immense cultural figures that have been able to influence a lot of peers through either innovating new ideas, bringing lesser known ideas to the mainstream, or by being part of the cultural zeitgeist.

There's a reason that it's almost always pop music, too that's in these top lists here and elsewhere on the internet. Most classical, although arguably far larger in influence, complexity, and innovation than any other form of music, is often never found anywhere in these lists. That's because it's far more inaccessible. So even the bug of accessibility that us music listeners often pretend to be above that usually affects "normies" actually affects the very communities we are part of, too.

In the end, dude you just enjoy what you like listening to. That's all there should be to all this.

I've already said there is chunk of subjectivity to judging mediums. I'm not denying that. If it is all subjective, why do people put certain music review sources over others? Why is P4 so respected, and don't say it isn't, it is. Why do people give a shit what Fantano says? Or Scaruffi? Why not just get best of list from your 10 your old kid? If mediums are just subjective, why even have schools that analyze certain films and pieces of music?

>why do people put certain music review sources over others?
because they are popular websites due to marketing and ppl like to agree on the popular opinion.
tinymixtapes has a much diff list than the norm. but they don't have much influence yet.

> If mediums are just subjective, why even have schools that analyze certain films and pieces of music?
schools prefer picking popular and accessible things that are easy to teach and breakdown concepts to their students. thats how teaching works my friend.

So you're saying all music analysis is useless then

Third post best post

haha retard

>So you're saying all music analysis is useless then
no?

Why not? If music analysis give no indication of the quality of the music then what is the point of respecting any musical opinion

>then what is the point of respecting any musical opinion
thats always going to be up to the individual which it makes it subjective again. proper analysis can enhance or bring down the enjoyment of a work.

>my favorite artists were never featured on that site
Feels good man