Sludge/Stoner/Doom Metal General

Sludge/Stoner/Doom Metal General.

ITT: Who is the best sludge metal band and why is it EHG?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tpqLn0t1GBw
youtube.com/watch?v=EpR64j8qskM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Eyehategod is one of my favorites. Love Dopesick and Take as Needed For Pain.

Eye saw them a couple times. The first time I was high on shrooms and stared at mike like a serial killer. Good times.

Boris of course and Earth

So, Through Silver in Blood remains the greatest record in the genre?

Thats a funny way to spell Sleeps Holy Mountain

For real though that sounds like some 3rd rate mastadon shit I have never even heard of that.

Dopesmoker is arguably better than Holy Mountain

Crowbar is way better than EHG imo

I've been obsessed with these guys lately:

youtube.com/watch?v=tpqLn0t1GBw

Their new one's great too, just not as sludgy/doomy. The production is more clear and brittle, but the composition is just as abstract. Lacks the male vocals though, which I thought meshed really well in their last album. Hard to choose which is better:

youtube.com/watch?v=EpR64j8qskM

Love the artwork, too.

Crowbar is classic.

ITT

Well now how is that supposed to make me feel?

Take as needed for pain is everything sludge should be and is easily the best in the genre. Nothing else touches it. If you ever get the chance, see EHG live because they are a fucking sight to behold.

other good sludge
>disembowelment-transcendence into the peripheral
>weedeater-god luck and good speed, 16 tons
>grief-come to grief
>high on fire-the art of self defense

EHG is insane in how good it is. Live it's basically an experience, it's just heavy in different ways. Maybe I'm biased though, it gets me through depression and helps.

I agree that a many of those are super faggy bands, or faggy albums, especially the Sunbather album which got a lot of praise here but it's one of the gayest shit I've ever heard. Only good thing to come out of it was that dumb fuck user who bought the guitar and tried to play covers and he sucked and was made fun of.

But other albums are something I'd never think faggy pasty hipsters would like while drinking their starbucks late.
For example, wouldn't they have a problem with Pantera or Burzum due to the connections with things they hate?

Most albums here are basically, "metal that Sup Forums tolerates" which now that I think about it, makes the chart true.

PROTIP: if you want good music threads, just start a "what music do you listen while lifting" in /fit/ and you'll see good shit.

That chart is bait, user.

Maybe it's bait but tons of it is indeed gay ass shit that Sup Forums loves.
Vektor was one of the recent ones I remember Sup Forums making threads about, and it's probably one of the worst listening experiences I've had. It's like jumanji disney orchestra crossed with voivod.

What do you mean when you throw around words like "faggy" and "gay ass"? I suspect you mean to say metal played by skinny hipsters but I want to be certain.

>faggy lol this music is so faggy and gay lol
You sound like a huge autistic 12 yo my dude, stop sharing your embarrassing fucking opinions and go back to /meal/

Sorry, it's just a broad term that encompasses things that just feel characterless, tryhard, poser, un-trve, or whatever you want to call it. I'm old bu Sup Forums standards, so faggy is still a word we use around our age and group to describe things that feel lacking in passion.
Dunno how to describe it.
For example, with Crack the Sky, Mastodon went heavy on the choruses, the guitars are doing diddly shit instead of laying it heavy, the drummer got too excited about his drummer award and is too over the top with fills, etc.
Sunbather is just bad in general.
Vektor is Voivod or Coroner but it's also so heavy on just strummed chords and choruses that it feels like a radio friendly version. Plus it's so treble heavy it hurts.
Focus by Cynic is just lame compared to their demos, it's like they took their good demo songs and butchered them in a studio with unnecessary stuff. I guess to not sound like Death, but it ends up sounding like Death with synths.
/metal/ is just Sup Forums cancer too, I only come here to check the guitar general and give theory advise.

Bleeding into black metal and even noise a bit, but Dragged Into Sunlight is fucking phenomenal

>I'm old bu Sup Forums standards, so faggy is still a word we use around our age and group to describe things that feel lacking in passion.
If you're "old by Sup Forums standards" you should start using an adult vocabulary, bud.
I appreciate you ending up using actual criticism, though.

My gut reaction is to disagree with you because I don't like the idea of some of these bands being insincere, but that's a fair critique to level at them. I see your angle when you put it that way.

"Adult" vocabulary is just for business and acquaintances, everyone still speaks like when they were teenagers when with their friends.

Right, maybe insincere is too much, they are probably passionate about what they do, but I feel like from what we have heard from these bands they could do way better, or maybe it's fine but the association of their name with a different style choice is a contrast I don't like. I guess some fans like me just dislike change but would be alright if we had heard it under a different name.

I love Eye Hate God, but they're not St. Vitus, or Witchfinder General.

>writing out a paragraph over bait
faggot

One of the only bands I still like that uses such an extreme vocal style. They really are fantastic.

Widowmaker was just as good as Hatred too

St vitus is amazing witchfinder general is terrible seek a lobotomy

EHG is good, but I’m going to have to say Rwake is best.