Why do Americans build houses out of wood?

Surely with all the natural disasters you've had you would of thought to build out of bricks by now? Whats going on? Do Americans even know how to lay bricks? I've never heard of an American brick layer. I think you need to reread the 3 little piggys to get a better understanding on how to build durable structures.

When Trump becomes president is the wall even going to be a wall or are you going to build fence?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bJPGuMfnty4
youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA
youtu.be/QIjmE9O3kDE?t=479
youtube.com/watch?v=amlxjC3qLAQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Brick and stone homes also get destroyed by Tornados.

I don't think The Brit can appreciate the destructive power of some storms in the USA.

So, if wood house gets blown apart, but next door the brick house also got blown apart... who is going to be rebuilt faster?
Answer: the wood house.

I have personally seen an entire second floor blown off a 1840's brick house by a tornado.

In my house, made of wood, there is a door that has a FEATHER embedded THROUGH the door by the force of wind from a tornado that my wood house survived in the 1970's

>reread the 3 little piggys
this american engineering = total utter shit.
same goes for their 'engineers'

>So, if wood house gets blown apart, but next door the brick house also got blown apart...
..american engineering shit as always, you don't even realize it. kek

>Brick and stone homes also get destroyed by Tornados.

This. Does the UK even get F3+ Tornadoes? American tornado alley storms are better, stronger, and more unpredictable just like everything else in our country.

Why do Britbongs not know what a proper plumbing system looks like.

Some tornadoes are so strong they literally scour the ground of everything including laid concrete. The only safe place to be in those cases is underground.

Hello Hans
I am in a part of the USA that was colonized by Krauts in the 1800's.
Care to guess how many Kraut built buildings are left standing?
Very few.
So sad, because many were quite beautiful.
Big heavy stone houses I've seen in pictures... turned into piles of rocks and rubble because of wind.

Why don't people in the midwest live in partially underground homes, with fortified bunkers? After the first few tornadoes you'd think instead of relying on insurance companies to simply rebuild the shitty house, they'd come up with something more survivable. Just stop living in normal homes made to withstand normal weather, or move to somewhere that's less likely to get wrekt by natural disasters like the east coast.

>people in the midwest live in partially underground homes
We have basements and cellars
I'm in the mid-west, in a wood house that in 120+ years old.
My town has experienced exactly 1 tornado, in the 1970's

Soooo, not a real big risk or concern, certainly not enough to spend extra $$$ on the maybe/what-if scenario

ty for elaborating, but

> the 1800's.
complaining that a poor settler's cheap built house from 1816 withstands like a rock all the tornadoes of the last 200yrs still doesn't speak for the high proficiency of the american 'engineer'

come back when you put a man on the moon. or at least have a functioning power grid.

brick houses can easily withstand f3 tornadoes, as long as they are structurally sound. the only thing that gets usually damaged are the roofs. reinforced concrete houses are basically bunkers and can probably withstand even the worst of storms, especially with ground anchors,

this, if the earth would be hit by a asteroid, humanity would ne kill, but german houses would float around in the universe, as a whole, still fully intact. you could use the toilet if you wanted to.

Not all ground is suitable for building a basement, oklahoma in particular has soil too moist and building one would result in a flooded basement.

Lol America wooden houses kek

>Not all ground is suitable for building a basement

>soil too moist
>would result in a flooded basement.

HAHAHAHAHA
homerwithcrownonhead.jpeg

germany laughs in your face for your utter incompetence, third worlder

>this, if the earth would be hit by a asteroid, humanity would be kill, but german houses would float around in the universe, as a whole, still fully intact. you could use the toilet if you wanted to.

no thanks

What about old forts made of stones by Europeans? They all are in ruins now, init?

Eehhh. Our houses are built with brick walls and concrete reinforced beams & pillars. But I'm guessing that's because the cost of labour is much cheaper here.

Time to switch to IBS America.

Wood, if treated properly allows the co2 that the trees have absorbed to be locked away for hundreds of years. It might be small but it helps with our carbon footprint. Concrete creation releases a shit load of co2.

yo OP, check out a google maps of an american suburb
these houses are made as quickly and cheaply as possible and not to last
we get away with this because we have vast expanses of land to fill up especially in the west

Whoa there Hans, worrying about our magnificent homes. The real question is, will your cuck shed survive the Muslim invasion.

They are all insured, they don't give a fuck.

You fuckers don't get the storms we get. Go away.

America actually has severe weather outbreaks, unlike britain which is just damp and dreary 24/7

>I don't really know what tornadoes are

ah yes, the deadly poison CO2 that plants need to survive

. There are some benefits to wooden houses that brick houses don't have. Wooden houses generally allow for cavity walls which then make plumbing, electrical and insulation installation much easier. It's also a lot cheaper and quicker to fix if there's some kind of mistake during construction.They require cheaper materials and less skilled labor. People here in burgerland are able to get larger homes for cheaper than they would have should the house been constructed entirely of masonry. Wood is weaker than brick in compression but does a hell of a job in tension

good question actually

>the only thing that gets usually damaged are the roofs
>Roofs get damaged
In a tornado if the roof get damaged there goes the whole structure, when that happens the entire structure is now exposed to a shit ton more force.
>reinforced concrete houses are basically bunkers and can probably withstand even the worst of storms, especially with ground anchors
See The only reinforced concrete structure that has a chance of making it through that is a monolithic dome. When you think of certain tornadoes, think of a nuke in terms of what you need.
>germany laughs in your face for your utter incompetence, third worlder
The same Germany that has people die fairly often in the 100s from heat?

Do you seriously think that brick houses don't have cavity walls?

well those shitty huts are probably much cheaper compared to brick houses? how much cost on average a house in usa

>People here in burgerland are able to get larger homes for cheaper than they would have should the house been constructed entirely of masonry
pay for a new one everytime a tornado comes. great saving strategy, no really. also very enviromentally friendly.

>Wood is weaker than brick in compression but does a hell of a job in tension
how is that relevant for walls?

Here in South Florida, virtually all new homes are made from cinder blocks. Wooden homes simply wouldn't last here due to hurricanes.

Depends on where you live. A decent house where I live could be around $180,000. The same house in new York or California would be 400,000+

youtube.com/watch?v=bJPGuMfnty4

this gymnasium was made of steel and cinder blocks

it is completely destroyed by a tornado. your little medieval huts wouldn't survive as long as this did.

oh i thought much cheaper...well i guess since they are very fast to build it's good. i think they are uglier thank brick houses but whatever, favelas people also love favelas

>The way that wall falls down
wow, you burgers are really shit at engineering.

>pay for a new one everytime a tornado comes
Doesn't happen very often. Most of tornadoland is farms.
>how is that relevant for walls
It's not, but shear is, and masonry can't handle shear at all, which is why all those mediterraneans get rekt whenever there's an earthquake. Shear is also the problem with tornadoes. Wood houses can handle shear better, but they also have really light walls, so the wind can do them in easily, too.

For a tornado, what you really want is something so heavy the wind can't move it. Basically, you'd need a castle.

Stupid amerifats please stop the meme that we have no tornandos.
Pic related tornando in Hamburg just a couple of days ago.
>mfw no house destroyed just damaged roofs
>mfw no one died or got hurt
learn to build proper houses pls.

>cinder blocks
>google that
>kek, Betonschalungssteine, europe abadoned these in the 50s and only use them for garages now.

-scheiß maßhaltigkeit
-keine wärmedämmung
-beton, aber lässt sich nicht sinnvoll bewehren
-betonüberdeckung in fugen nicht gewährleistet

usa confirmed for having achieved same technological level like country named west sahara.

>people die fairly often in the 100s
what's your point?

kek you can clearly see that the cinder block structure is bad but survived almost with no damage to the tornado only part of the roof and entrance was destroyed, windows, doors...

What about earthquakes. Wood just moves while bricks crack and break.

you're not even a real german. you're just a pussy who's ancestors weren't man enough to die for their country in ww2. thankfully, descendants of real germans carry on in the usa. we're more german than you'll ever be

This, I would rather just sweep up and put a new door on than rebuild the entire fucking structure every time.

>survived almost with no damage to the tornado

the entire wall opposite the camera was blown in

did you watch the right video?

>how to build durable structures

You plebs are not getting the whole picture. We burgers are not prepping to live 1,000 years in a carved out pile of rocks no matter how wonderful they look or comfy they are.

>t. home builder.

That includes the price of the lot as well as the structure. I'm sure in California that the land is a much bigger fraction of the cost.

Of course they don't get tornadoes in California either, it's a phenomenon particular to the US midwest because of how winds from various directions interact. Not that California doesn't get any love: mudslides in floods, fires in droughts, earthquakes any time.

>tornado near where I live disintegrated 18-wheelers and ripped plumbing out of the ground
>brag that you get f3s in turkland

Tornadoes will fuck up brick houses anyway, except now instead of dealing with flying planks of wood, you're dealing with huge chunks of brick and stone flying around at 80mph. Not only does this cause more damage to the surrounding area but it costs much more to rebuild.

you need to reread what he said Muhammad.

>What is Japan?
They literally get daily earthquakes but their buildings are engineered against them.

When it does go over a populated area, you can see how it cuts a narrow path.

And for those a little more adventurous, here is where we are headed.

>benefits to wooden houses that brick houses don't have. Wooden houses generally allow for cavity walls

that's a cute little twister

Yeah. Japans houses are made mostly out of wood you dipshit.

And if you're looking for a job, here is where we are going to start.

Call back when you have multi-vortex tornadoes, tornadoes that can hit 450km/h+ wind speeds (strongest recorded was just shy of 500km/h), or tornadoes 3km across. Our tornadoes have been known to scour up to half a meter of soil off the ground, rip up asphalt, drive wood splinters clear through concrete, pick up and throw fully loaded train cars and 18-wheeler trucks several kilometers, and flay anything and everything caught up into them into tiny little chunks.

You also dont get mesocyclone storm systems that can shit out hundreds of tornadoes over their lifespans.

Your century level tornadoes are something we get at least 3 of every time a storm system crosses the US.

You also have seasonal tornado alleys and active earthquake fault lines, right?

that's a big F5

Their towers are also obviously made out of wood eh?
Also when was the last time Japan got a tornado? Different buildings for different circumstances burger. Is that so difficult to understand?

Well maybe you should stop offending God, and He will stop raining destruction upon you.

Basically this. Pretty much any vibrations in the ground around the building over the years (earthquakes, train tracks, high traffic roads, etc.) put stress on the concrete/brick. You'll see cracks in concrete/brick foundations over time because of these issues, but the wooden structure will be fine. Structural issues in wood mostly come from poor maintenance (termites, rot from a leaky roof.)

i see. do wood work good for insulation from heat/cold? or you spend lots for warming/cooling your house

your brain is probably also made out of wood

I don't think I've seen separate taps outside of a handful of pubs

It is not super bad but most of this wood houses have no additional isolation, so they are basically a money sink in the winter.

Look up the F5 tornado that hit Jerrell Texas. Not even the concrete house foundations were left.

>masonry can't handle shear at all,
it can to a sufficient degree.

>which is why all those mediterraneans get rekt whenever there's an earthquake.
no, that's because they got no idea either. there are earthquakes in west europe too and nobody ever dies. there will be some little cracks in some building's walls, that's true, but most times that's easily repairable.

Learn to read yurocuck I said mostly. But have fun while the mudslimes rape your women.

>it's a phenomenon particular to the US midwest

We can afford A/C here, prob not in your shithole 3rd world country.

>When Trump becomes president is the wall even going to be a wall or are you going to build fence?
If it was a wall for the UK, we could just hang a curtain. You bongs don't even have a knife to cut through it.

>Can't hold a conversation without reverting to memes.
And here I thought that I can have an intelligent discussion. Burgers will be always burgers.

Japanese houses are traditionally only built with cheaper materials so that they only last for 10-15 years. They're basically made out of thin untreated wood and paper. Most don't even have foundations. Even high winds could knock them down. Some kind of weird cultural thing, they're completely different than American houses.

>Repair roof
Job done. Well done brick-building sensible person.

youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA

>Not even the concrete house foundations were left.

Bet the concrete foundations were left, everything above it is still drywall

we can too, but probably your wooden brain fails to understand you throw away lots of money with bad insulation

See all those spaces between the joists? Insulation goes there after the wiring and plumbing has been installed in the outside walls. Modern construction uses expanding closed-cell foam (spray a thin layer, it instantly expands to all three inches deep and hardens) which is better than the fiberglass mats from late 20th-century construction.

>>mfw no house destroyed just damaged roofs
>>mfw no one died or got hurt
That's not a tornado then

We use wood because it's cheap and widely available. You guys burned all your forests about 300 years ago so now you must use masonry.

A few inches of insulation (or less) and double-paned windows works pretty well. You get older (pre-80's), or built-by-mexican houses with garbage insulation though, and those can cost a lot to heat and cool.

It's cheaper and easier to replace structures than to build structures that can withstand EF4/5 tornadoes. The people that live in those areas are very aware of the risk and usually have a storm cellar or they gtfo when they see something coming.

Beats that 200 year old, million dollar crumbling brick closet you posting from.

It's a merchant trick to make it easier for the ATF to burn us out

>Suggesting Americans be less cheap and stupid
There's a flaw in here somewhere

Tornadoes don't destroy by sheer force, they destroy by pressure difference and explosive decompression. Not even a titanium airplane will survive that. So you just assume that, in the case of a tornado, your shit's gonna get fucked up, so you just build it for cheap.

>what is asbestos

is that the reason I've never seen a bridge made from concrete?

Wood is good.
However, why people continue to live in tornado valley is beyond me. Sure, living in Washington we have the possibility of volcanoes, tsunamis and earthquakes, but those are far and few between.
Reminds me of this
youtu.be/QIjmE9O3kDE?t=479

Americans build houses out of wood because we are not cucks to our masons.

Americans build houses out of concrete because they have the money.

Laying brick is expensive. Moving the brick is expensive. Purchasing the brick is expensive. Masonry in North America is alive and well, but it tends to be things that are less likely to experience death and desolation type weather, as well as less likely to be shot holes full of.

We build out of wood for structures that we can afford to lose. Living in North America isn't for pussies. We are perfectly capable of slate rooves, stone block construction and even artisan glass, if we give a shit.

But we do not, most of the time. Don't mistake keeping it simple for shit engineering. Your BDSM obsessed scheizers still haven't been to the moon, and the way you tell it, that superior German engineering could get you there by appropriating a bath tub from Deutchland.

Hard to tell from this picture, but it's also hard to build well enough to survive a tornado that will suck the entire fucking building off the ground.

And you can spend all you want to reinforce a bulding, but it's a winning-the-lottery tier chance that any particular building will get hit by a tornado. They hit a narrow path, unlike hurricanes.

Underground? The ground sucks in most of tornado alley, if you built an underground-only building of any decent size, the water table would probably float it up out of the ground.

Why are American engineers so bad Sup Forums?

At the firm I used to work at, we refused anyone with an American degree unless it was Ivy League or a decent State School.

Do your educational institutions just not give a fuck and think quantity > quality? No regulation? Just overall shit at mathematics thanks to common core?

What's the deal?

KEK Some American Scientist discover concrete can survive undamaged to tornadoes and strong winds
-->:youtube.com/watch?v=amlxjC3qLAQ

>Some kind of weird cultural thing
Living in an earthquake zone, probably.

Engineer your way out of mass production by the enemy.

Oh wait. You don't do that.

Which is why you speak German today, but will probably speak Arabic tomorrow.

> have fun while a tornado rapes you house

one in mississippi sucked the damn earth off the ground

>would of thought
Surely they should of