/southpark/

Member when South Park was actually good?
When did South Park go utter shit?
What the fuck is wrong with last seasons?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_Aid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Christmas,_Charlie_Manson!
youtube.com/watch?v=IUqA-uMEDgg
youtube.com/watch?v=45C16tToen8
youtu.be/DjYAZKYen8U?t=12m10s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They have opinions you don't like so now you don't enjoy the show. It's not too complicated.

The last season's story arc was centered around Hillary winning.

She didn't win, so that's why it makes no fucking sense now.

MEMBA hehehehe

south park was never good.

This is the first season that I've disliked almost all the content of the show. Usually a bad episode is self contained, but since this storyline spans an entire season, if it doesn't work, then the whole season doesn't work, and this doesn't work.

Shoulda just kept it episodic with an overarching plot in the background, because I think a lot of the unfunny shit would be funny, or at least not irritating, if it was in smaller doses.

Probably a bad idea to make such a big bet against Trump twice too, since now they're stuck with Garrison as president, and them being basically fucked because of it, which I guess is a poetic justice in of itself.

I remember, yeah. It was great for the first three seasons. I remember watching the trailers with a friend from school and being so excited. The pilot aired on my tenth birthday. It was all we talked about for a while.

Why would they think Hillary was winning?

Polls.

I member when Drawn Together ripped them a new one, by having better jokes and animation.

they live in cali

South Park is a mediocre parody focused show with a few good episodes now and then and lot more worse.

It was never good, never. They had some moments here and then and that's it.

every time Hillary was in front in the polls it was within the error margin.
journalism/showbusiness is full of liars

I hate to say it, but at least they tried something different with the new seasons. However, it's bad because they're making shit up one week in advance for something that is supposed to be considered as a whole so it doesn't really makes sense anymore.
Also I feel South Park is now too "political". It has, like the Simpsons, kind of became a parody of itself. South Park was satyrical yes. But it was not a satyrical show rather than a funny show with god-tier situations/jokes/lines from two stoned writers.
Finally, I'm not fond of the new fancy animation style...

That wasn't the last season, that is this season

I know I'm being a smart ass but come on.

Why do autists have SOOOO much fun posting on FourChan that South Park was never good?

I mean fuck, I bet they'll see "This is my first time ever posting it", but I really highly doubt each and every day a new dozen Sup Forums posters find the Sup Forums board and comment for their first time how South Park was never funny.

user, the word is "satire". "Satyr" is a half-man-half-goat mythological creature.

The worst part is that they took a week off before the election, and in that week the investigation into the email scandal was ongoing, yet they still put all their eggs in one basket.

then quote a better series in the same genre

thx

>Hillary's revenge against men plot
>Member berries true goal
>JJ Abrams
What are some other plot points that won't be properly wrapped up?

Also
>No Stan or Kenny for a whole season

np

They got too obsessed with their political statements.
It's supposed to be a show about kids who swear.

this is the truth and it hurts

I think it have it's moments, but there is a lot of crap on that show. You can single out some funny ones, but when you just put them together it's just really mediocre.

It turns out that making up the plot week after week doesn't go well with season-long storylines.
It's just a mess at this point.

The season with all the PC stuff was gold. Everything since has been shit.

When did they start basing the entire episode off the week's news?

I agree with this. this shows in the episodes post-Trump victory. They were prepared to a whole season around Clinton, but the American people thought differently.

It was good until the last three episodes where they couldn't find out a way to close things so they made it about ads. Couldn't even properly tie up how PC Principal was one of them.

Dis

when le current events and popculture episodes started instead of showing more bizarre shit like casa bonita, manbearpig and garrison's entity

Southpark hasn't been good for years, its time to move on.

Care to explain, faggot?

Member berries is one of the unfunniest things they've ever made.
The plotline was cool at first, but when their lefty bias got out and all of the season-related recurring jokes got real old real fast (because we already deal with this shit on a day-to-day basis and we're sick of it enough in reality) it just put a sour taste in my mouth.
It needs to stop being so fucking political too. One of the loudest elections ever recorded is finally over, we need to fucking move away from politics for a long ass time.

Last season was great. This one through...
I cant remember laughing once.
I might be finished with South Park.

South park went to shit once they started doing seasonal arcs built around taking half as many jokes per season and repeating them for ten episodes.

Second season then?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_Aid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Christmas,_Charlie_Manson!

They were all pop cultures of the times, take off the googles.

I must've missed the nationwide underpants gnome craze that underpands gnomes were referencing.

I'm with you, user. I've been trying to watch every new episode but it's just been feeling more and more like that lately - trying. This season started out with some promise, but then they pretty much announced that they wanted Hillary to win, then after the election it's become more and more obvious that they're just making shit up as they go along, which is problematic for a continuous story arc. Not to mention that the show is becoming less and less funny. It takes me serious effort to get through just one episode and I roll my eyes and shake my head more than I laugh. I don't even exhale sharply through my nose with a smirk on my face in any episodes anymore.

I wish they'd stop pretending to be such a serious show. Matt and Trey haven't given a fuck about this show for at least 4-5 seasons now but this one is becoming unbearable. I don't think I'm going to watch season 21. I can't believe most of the internet reviews of this season are so praiseworthy and the 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes either means that I've gotten too old and out of touch or that it's being massaged for favorable reviews.

After about season 13-14, in my opinion, the show started going down hill.

t. someone who watched the first premier of the first episode and remembers laughing so hard every episode after that that it hurt.

being this new

Also, it seems that they invented the whole member-berries arc, which they seem to have finally dropped because it was fucking stupid and pointless after like the third episode, so that anyone who complained about the new direction the show is taking could just be parodied by a bunch of fags who never watched the original seasons without them being like "ohhh hurrrrrrr 'MEMBER WHEN I WAS YOUNGER AND SOUTH PARK WAS FUNNIER TO ME?' durrr"

Fuck this new season and fuck people who think it's just the show "evolving". It's just Matt and Trey being lazy as fuck and not giving a shit anymore met with people who only started watching South Park during seasons 15 and later (which was the beginning of the worst era of the show, imho)

Acess the link....

>In the episode, Harbucks (a reference to Starbucks), plans to enter the South Park coffee market, posing a threat to the local coffee business owners, the Tweak Parents. Mr. Tweak, scheming to use the boys’ school report as a platform to fight Harbucks, convinces the boys to deliver their school report on the supposed threat corporatism poses to small businesses, moving the South Park community to take action against Harbucks.

Referencing the starbucks rise aired on December 16, 1998.

watching it now season 345 and 6 are great

this

Not that user you're replying to, but Underpants Gnomes was still a lot more of a full-hearted and hilarious way to illustrate something than this inane and vapid story arc that is going on in season 20.

It seems to be lets find the topical thing of the tiime and make a drama out of it with some jokes thrown in

Or was that always the way?

It takes 6 days days to make an episode and it really shows

The point you're ignoring is the central focus of the episode, underpants gnomes, was not the topical reference. The topical references were a backdrop to the underpants gnomes.

WHERE IS KENNY?

Only heartfelt moment since Lorde montage in S18
youtube.com/watch?v=IUqA-uMEDgg

>the central focus of the episode, underpants gnomes,

Debatable.

Manbearpig was current events making fun of Al Gore after he released An Inconvenient Truth.

and its not debatable at all with modern south park.

So you've never seen a single episode of the first few seasons then?

I was watching some of the later seasons tonight and I think they still held up extremely well. If you actually look up the individual episodes and think about them, most were pretty solid.

Season 16's "A Nightmare on Facetime" for example. That's the one where Randy bought a Blockbuster video. Fuckin' hilarious all the way through, even the side stories. Like the scene where the boys try to stop the burglary as the Avengers. Just a solid episode.

Or even last season's cock magic. That old Southpark style of humor where it was nothing political or topical at all (unless you count the MtG craze from the mid-90's as "topical") but just low brow humor all the way through.

This season is really the first genuinely awful season.

>So you've never seen a single episode of the first few seasons then?

I have, why?

Is it because there was always topical stuff in the episode? I agree but it didn't dominate the entire episode

Anyway, this is my favorite episode.

youtube.com/watch?v=45C16tToen8

The episodes were entirely hit or miss until they started seasonal arcs.

The seasonal arcs mean if a "joke" missed with you, you were still going to see it at least five more times, dragging down every episode that featured it.

Also sarcastiball is the last utterly perfect episode they've made.

>Member
The fact that you are still repeating a current joke proves they still go it.

Everyone loves the member joke and has to quote it.

Even the seasonal arcs were okay. They did that last season and still put out quality episodes. The Yelp episode was fantastic, the Tweek and Craig Yaoi one was great too, and the one where the boys dressed like Ninjas and got mistaken for ISIS was also good.

Having the arc just loosely be tied together with a few running gags like gluten and PC Principal worked well enough. It's this recent season that plays like one long awful protracted episode that's really jumped the shark for South Park.

I miss the early season urban legend shit they used to do like Scuzzlebut. They've gotten so far up their own ass now.

>When did South Park go utter shit?
when trey got married

I don't have a problem with the show as a whole and I think that 19/20 of the seasons are still really good

Its just this one fucking season, thats all it is

Its hard, because everyone has to take a bullshit stand and say that South Park is dead OR that South Park was never good OR that Season 20 is great and people that don't like it are just alt-right buttbabies

I just really think Season 20 sucks ass

Garrison as the President is fucking hilarious.

Overall the season is kinda weak and the Cartman story line better pay off in a major way.
But I wouldn't say it "sucks ass"
You are exaggerating while complaining that everyone exaggerates. You are very stupid user.

I've just enjoyed Garrison and Gerald this season, everything else is pretty shitty and I'm getting bored with this season. Even with all the twists and turns they do I still find I'm bored with what they do. I just want an entire season of Gerald being a dick to people and Garrison fucking everyone to death.

Same. There were some shit episodes, sure, but largely all 19 seasons were good.

20 is the only honest to god awful season.

Agreed this season sucks

I think last year they had a good balance of episodic and individual storylines

This season is just 1 giant episode and none of it is really funny

This season is just going to end with Heidi Rick Rolling everyone, isn't it?

Do you not realise the difference between those and what the show has been for the last 10 or so years? Those are all original, imaginative stories with elements of real life incorporated within the story to enhance it. Today they would simply read the news or look up the latest internet fad and retell it with South Park, or they'd go ahead and start forcing a story around whatever is trending at the moment.

In other words, the stories used to be original with cultural references added as jokes, whereas today the stories are cultural references / parodies with South Park added around it.

>Those are all original, imaginative stories with elements of real life incorporated within the story to enhance it.
>Today they would simply read the news or look up the latest internet fad and retell it with South Park, or they'd go ahead and start forcing a story around whatever is trending at the moment.

Literally describing the same thing twice.
This is astonishing.

Remember the episode about spreading IRL memes and Sarah Jessica Parker?

That was the worst episode of all time.

At least South Park as been on the up since that fateful and objective "Worst Episode Ever".

this is what happened basically. They are california liberals now.

I rewatched a few episodes from season 6 and 7 this weekend. It's incredible how much they've fallen.

The weird part is that the production process etc. is still the same (i.e. lazy and objectively terrible), so even then they had some plainly bad stuff, but now they just don't come up with ANYTHING good.

What? They're the opposite.

You think the order is different but the behind the scenes proves you wrong.
So you are just retarded.

Its fine to grow out of something. But don't pretend it has changed when the only thing that has changed is you.

I honestly cant believe you people still dont get it. The real south park ended after Chef left, they had to change everything about the show after this. Instead of all the kids being stupid and chef coming in to teach them something or save the day they had to take that character trait and give it to stan and kyle and have they switch between the voice of reason that use to be chef.

Its no surprise the show starts to go downhill at season 10 the season he left, and its been all downhill from there.

youtu.be/DjYAZKYen8U?t=12m10s

Hmm it checks out actually

>behind the scenes proves you wrong.
Really? How so?

Stan and Kyle used to save the day way before Chef left cuz

yeah to the point where Kyle's "I think we all learned something today...." was usually how most of the episodes ended in the first 10 or so seasons

hell they still make jokes about Kyle having to restrain himself from doing "what we learned" speeches

But chef would always be the one to show kyle the thing that would lead to that speech. Now he just "learns something" on his own. Its completely different

You can't keep doing the same thing for 20 years. They reinvented themselves to not become like zombie simpsons. It may be hit and miss, but if they'd kept up the same schtick it would certainly be utter crap now.

i honestly think its not problem in SP but state of the world,
first,world really went to shit since 9/11 so they cant push our buttons without literally risk some crazy liberal/fundamentalist/whateveramist or whatever blows them up.
And second, they should stop being critics of state of society/world but deal with characters(old Cartman,Randy, Whatwhatwhat,where the fuck are them 2 rednecks:one wo lost voice in Vietnam,uncle,Towlie) and their delusions,
episodes that deal with them are best by far.
Las season was huge ad for Stick of Truth and they have one shtick and they are spreading it as whole season.

not always, only when they wanted to use him to advance the plot, chef was a secondary character dumbass

also there were plenty of episodes without this, e.g. AWESOME-O

>Las season was huge ad for Stick of Truth and they have one shtick and they are spreading it as whole season.
Fractured but Whole better be good.

This season was going really well up until the election. It obviously threw Trey & Matt off balance and now they're struggling to redirect the story arc. Hopefully they can make it work in the end but right now the plot is seeming very aimless and unfocused.

couldn't they just pretend Hillary on and go along with it? It's a cartoon, it's fiction. They could drop this the next season anyways.

It tried something new and that scares you.

What's lazy about working 15+ hours a day?

I member when they canceled Ugly Americans & Futurama for not being edgy enough,
Ugly Americans had potential to be at least as good as Bojack if not much better.

because the (((mainstream media))) kept telling everyone she would win in a landslide

Of course he wasn't like that every episode but that was still the main focus of the show. The 4 kids and chef would help them, then they had side characters. Chef was like the 5th main character up until season 10

After chef left they started giving full episodes to side characters because they needed someone to replace him so you have garrison and randy being used to death, they are even using kyles dad this season as the 5th main character it seems.

Suck on my chocolate salty balls

yeah honestly i was kinda let down that they had their whole season plan built around a Clinton win

like yeah, Trump was a longshot at best to most people

but guys who have been doing this schtick for literally 20 years should have planned better than going all in on one candidate

like literally the actual election didn't even start before they drafted up "the Very First Gentleman" with Bill Clinton

for guys who pride themselves on flying by the seat of their pants, this was just a shitty move

Not preparing off season?

*won

SP has always been political, its just the plots involving politics are more direct and consequential now. They went from one-off jabs to season-long lampoons.

This is the problem though the single episodes aren't funny its like you have to watch 9 episodes just to get the pay off in the 10th which makes rewatching the season almost painful

it has no plot

I really think you are giving Chef too much credit

I totally will agree though the vibe isn't the same without him...but he wasn't exactly an integral part of the show.

But he certainly was not the 5th character, if anything Wendy was in it just as much as he was

it has too many plots