MUSIC REVIEWS

Who did you start reading when you finally decided to drop Pitchfork?

>reading reviews

how do you find new music to listen to then? and don't tell me you take Sup Forums recs seriously

that best song is actually so on point

Are you really incapable of finding your own music without being told what to like and dislike?

>implying reading reviews means automatically agreeing with them

are you retarded?

Actually I didn't imply that. You can be told to do something and then not do it. Perhaps you would understand my post better if someone wrote a review of it.

>missing the point of music criticism this hard
ouch

The point of critics is to make you think critically. A good critic should state his subjective opinion of the music and then explain that opinion by discussing the objective qualities of the music. If he's a good critic you shouldn't always agree with him.

Whether you agree or disagree with him is not important, because a good critic should make you question and think about WHY you agree or disagree, essentially turning you into a critic yourself. This is especially helpful when exploring genres you're not as experienced in, as a more experienced listener will pick up on more subtle aspects of the music.

Fantano, Christgau, and the writers at P4k are all terrible critics. Scaruffi is slightly better but still pretty bad.

still didn't answer how you, personally, find new music? do you just meditate and divine album titles out of thin air?

Do you not?

rym

I sometimes read TheQuietus, The Wire, Tiny Mix Tapes, and Bleep.

Not much beyond that though in the way of music journalism/criticism/news

too bad he only reviews jazz t b h

your most underrated and overrated picks are spot on man

Any good critics?

implying Sup Forums isn't full of review fags in forms of shitposts

I never read reviews and most likely never will.

Trust nobodies taste but your own, user.

tmt
the wire
random blogspots
scaruffi with a pinch of salt

sans a few exceptions like jtg, rym is just as bad as p4k

>random blogspots
which ones?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh come on mate

jesus christ, how are you incapable of figuring out ways people can discover music without relying on critics?

like, keeping up-to-date on concerts and venues going on and see whichever sound interesting, picking up stuff in record stores or just read about genres you like and trying out bands you haven't heard of.

or, god forbid, actually talking to people you know who share a similar music taste and discussing it rather than relying on internet bros to water down albums for you because you only enjoy music that's already been dissected for you.

yes, me

Some people have jobs and don't want to waste the little free time they have listening to an album where there's a 50% chance of liking it, you know? People with lives still exist, even on this very board.

last.fm, youtube and basically any streaming platform offer you recommendations and related artists, based on what you listen or not.
like the other user said, theres plenty ways to find music without ever checking on critics/reviews with little to no effort.

>youtube or any streaming platform
so, basically listen to corporate shills basing their recs on algorithms and spied listening habits rather than an evaluation of the music itself then. gotcha.

sure, music critics are pretty much shills, too, but at least they are arguing their position, and there's never unanimity among them

the anthony fantano of jazz

the nostalgia critic of jazz

Eucalyptus is the best AnCo-related release since MPP

Name 5 good reviewers on RYM please