Why do we need the FDA?

Why do we need the FDA?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the FDA?

Food & Drug Administration

They basically tell us what we can and cannot eat/drink/take for medicine

Because capitalism will gladly kill you for profits.

why can't the people just do whatever they want?

That sounds like a really good night...

As true as this is, there's no reason to enforce morality. Besides, there's plenty of shit the American FDA doesn't do which should, like labelling ingredient lists with ((GM)) or banning certain food dyes/preservatives/flavour enhancers. Don't quote me, but there's a few that are banned here but not America because muh profits.

why can't you put out a fire?

Because some people are idiots.

>killing all of your customers and workers

I wish i could buy that shit today at my local pharmacy

Think of the children.

FDA has in multiple cases waited until patents on medicin has run out before approving it.

If the FDA is responsible for food safety, then how did the Chipotle outbreak happen? Should the FDA get sued?

Yes I'll go all the way to Alberta from the other side of the country with my fire ext extinguisher.
You know there's forest fires here every year right?

That doesn't make any fucking sense.
Maybe over a course of years, eventually giving you cancer or some shut, but why would a corporation poison their product?
>hey Jim let's work on our new product line
>how about we put fucking rat poison in our kool-aid so all our customers die
Like fucking wat.

So people don't make the cure for cancer, with the side effects of getting aids and leprosy

>Why do we need the FDA?
to ensure amerifats eat yummy, yummy foods

You might want to look up a particular clay from mexico that is used for upset stomach aces. The FDA banned it because it had 10 times the legal limit of lead in the 90's. Canadians still import it and consume it despite this. Canada is a failed state tbqh.

Because weedman is busy giving our money away to niggers and Muslims.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

>Why do we need the FDA?
To prevent the kind of brain damage your mother passed on to you because she had some weird 1990's shit in her Mexican-made drugs.

Only really poor people eat shit like that.
It looks like tv dinner in a can

Because there were a lot of untested substances sold as medicine in the 19th and early 20th centuries that had no medical effect or turned out to literally be poisons. Huge numbers of people died from things like drinking radium tonic, or from thinking that they were taking medicine while actually ingesting an inert substance. At the same time, things like class action lawsuits weren't really a thing yet, so there wasn't much recourse against these snake oil salesmen.

The FDA was very necessary back then, but has spread out of control and is arguably not needed at all in our more litigious modern society.

Capitalism has ZERO profit if nobody's buying.

I never heard of it, and Americans are too scared a lot of areas still have lead pipes here and all the houses have asbestos in them you guys need to stop being pussies