I have a question lads and I don't know where to turn to. (assuming this is still a tv and FILM board)

I have a question lads and I don't know where to turn to. (assuming this is still a tv and FILM board)
I've been wondering this about indie filmmakers out there: if they use pirated editing software to edit their movies and then send them to festivals and win prizes, does someone actually check OR can they find out if they used pirated software to edit the film?

what about music? what if they have a ton of pirated VSTs and like a pirated version of pro tools or similar programs and make the music for the movie themselves. Is there some exif data that someone could retrieve and make the movie ineligible for prize money?

I'm really curious about how this shit goes down or if anyone in the business really cares if it only concerns festivals and indie films.

tl;dr can you get busted for making your indie film with pirated software? can anyone find out in any way?

pic unrelated

no you aspie, life isn't a fucking pokemon tournament where they check your pokemon id

lol you smoking that reefer or something?

Fuck off frogposter.

(assuming this is still a tv and FILM board)

Smug cunt.

When you finance the film and no money is spend on editing, of course the tax department will find out.

no one will check, just dont use music you dont have the rights to

pls forgiv
do they actually request a financing sheet though? if I apply for a festival and I make the whole thing myself do I actually have to fill out random numbers like 1000 dollars spent on editing and shit? wtf
but if I create the music myself (with pirated software and VSTs obviously) do I still not have rights?

>editing software
no

>VSTs
not that I know

However I know some industry VFX providers include audio watermarks to their samples and have actually sued people who pirate them

Honestly I'd find it extremely moronic for anyone to condone pirating software in the process of making movies

If it's just your solo project then I can understand how that reasoning might stay alive but when you're working with several people, someone's paying them. And to feel the need to pirate software that doesn't even cost that much relative to other things necessary for a good movie... I don't even know where to begin.

You asked such an irritating question

Not at the festival, but if you earn money with the film you'll need to pay taxes.

they sound like a bunch of faggots to me desu

did anyone here (on this board) participate in festivals with their films being made with pirated software btw?

They can't catch you for pirating if you delete system32.

let me clarify:
let's say I make a movie with my camera, use my PC to edit the movie, have like a zoom h5 for audio and actors are friends who I do not pay and make the music myself in a program.
I am literally making everything myself, so the only actual legal expenses would be the actual purchasing of the programs (i.e. editing software, music production software and vsts and the actual camera and lenses).
what then?

kek nobody is gonna look into the finances of a no budget flick, dude
chill

OP, why not use free software? DaVinci Resolve is pretty based

t. Goldberg

I'm honestly considering in the eventuality that I make a short film that is succesful at festivals, wins awards and shit, that I upload it to youtube for free viewing and exposure and then use this to my advantage when I pitch for actual funding.

So then if I want to make an actual feature length with a budget and make everything proper, I can just show the people I'm pitching to: look, I actually made shit.

It might be childish to think like this but I honestly see no problem with this approach.

what do you guys think?

if you're looking that far ahead then whether or not you pirate software or not is the least of your troubles, no?

And I think it's on the software company to sue you for damages based on copyright violation

Fucking Kanye west and his crew use pirated VSTs if someone of his caliber does that you can imagine how many low key musicians, producers and composers pirate absolutely everything

It's like graphic design, it's impossible to tell unless someone breaks into your room

how would they find out?
will they ask me?
"did you pirate your shit?"
>implying I would admit
>implying I wouldn't just say I used a friend's ID during editing and he bought the software
literally how would they find out? this is what I'm asking.
is there actual evidence ANYWHERE? like exif data or similar?

>is there actual evidence ANYWHERE? like exif data or similar?

yes they can check the meta data, and check for pirated software traces, but I doubt they would do so for entry-level festivals.

>does someone actually check OR can they find out if they used pirated software to edit the film?
Haha, good one
You're serious?
Fuck no, the industry would crash and burn if that were the case

I think I was about 16/17 when I had a friend who worked backstage at music festivals or something. And he told me I wouldn't believe the amount of professionals using pirated shit
Just don't be obnoxious about it

alright now we're getting somewhere.
how would you go about removing any traces then?

Some trial software might have watermarks, but if it is well cracked there is no way to know. Yes music made by you is music you have the rights to.

I have gotten into several, but it was a short film, so that probably makes a difference.

You can circumvent this by setting up a company that funds the film and then you can charge a contracting fee (to yourself) for services provided (editing)
It doesn't matter what software you use, the above is how it is always done

No one buys/rents software for a specific film

congrats bro, I honestly hope you make it as a filmmaker (unless you've already made it then props)
any chance you could link your short here? if it wasn't sold or if you want to of course.
I would like to see it

>do editing in sofware of choice
>bounce project to free software after you're finished
>export from it
>remove all metadata

Nobody is gonna check it in the first place. The only way some movie festival would hold this against you is if they literally received a tip from someone that you're using pirated software

>it's impossible to tell unless someone breaks into your room
Which they most likely will, for the nation-wide Christmas penis inspections.

They will now that you've posted about it all over the internet IDIOT

shhhh, it's okay schmully, it's not about me, it's just speculation, be quiet now

Thanks mate, that's the goal. It's still making it's way through the film festival circuit so I can't release it online just yet. It's also animated so there's that.
Anyway, good luck with yours, even if it doesn't make it the learning experience is really valuable and you are already doing more than most people ever will.

much appreciated, good luck to you as well mate