Hey this character worked that one time

>Hey this character worked that one time
>Let's make her a recurring character and tell her origins

Why do writers do this? I can't come up with other examples right now but this isn't the only time a show has done this.
Also Goddamn it it's a Moe episode

They literally ran out of ideas. That's it.

spike from btvs

Moe is one of the best characters, its not his fault the writers don't know how to make an episode about him that isn't Moe is lonely and tries to find love.

Because they're funnier and more interesting than the main characters
Skinner, Moe, Burns, Flanders, Troy McClure etc all have some of the best episodes centre around them

Yeah but they were recurring characters from the beginning tho and have interesting and relatable lives. They're basically characters that can carry down a story.
You can see how it's a different case with this lady.

they ran out of good writers. good writers can come up with new, GOOD ideas. the ones they're left with have to try things like "how about Assange as a celebrity guest? what's he famous for? we could do a joke about Homer going to live at his house" and looking over old episodes for characters that were created by the GOOD writers.

how about the teenage drive-through clerk? "Sir, it's a federal felony to taunt the drive-through clerk!' HAHAHAHA, that's hilarous! they should do an episode about his backstory!

>still watching The Simpson's after season 10

those digits

checked

Archer

Is that what they're doing in hell, satan?

is this, dare I even imagine, /ourshow/

also i think at some point (Probably around new contract negotiotions for the 4 mains) they were considering having the simpsons move away and calling the show Springfield. so that may be the reason for developing 1 note characters like comic book guy and disco stu

no brickfrog? fucking garbage

No, that's definitely not it. The writers they have now suck, plain and simple. Running out of plotlines does not explain why they can't write jokes that will even make you smile anymore. Also something I noticed about nu-Simpsons is that they're constantly referencing semi obscure intellectual figures or having them on as guests. "Oh look, it's some current American poet! There's no joke, but there he is!" Is this to make the show seem smarter or something?

Digit status: observed

If there's one character I dislike the most in Zombie Simpsons, it's Lisa.

I hate how the only time Moe shows up anymore is in the background to make an either "he's ugly" or "he's suicidal" joke.

All the characters have been flanderized to the point where I think it actually restricts the writers into a much smaller box than in the Simpsons golden age.

Starting around the teen seasons, they started doing episodes about the other Springfield characters.

Problem was they had to take characters who were once funny because they were bitter creeps or background oddballs and make them sympathetic which makes them less funny.

Every episode with Moe ends up with him crying. There was a time when Moe was asked if he's ever felt unattractive and he says without thinking "Not for a second".

The other problem is they then have to find ways to shoehorn ways to involve the Simpsons. Last night I watched the one where Comic Book Guy has a heart attack and Homer takes him to the hospital while Bart and Milhouse (10 years olds mind you) run his store for him.

The other one that sticks out in my mind is the one where Krusty finds out he has a daughter and he's asking Homer for advice??

Should they have just gone with the 'Tales from Springfield' anthology series?

sweet, sweet candy

>Comic Book Guy finally married with a jap girl

literally defeating the purpose of the character

>Comic Book Guy has had a name for about a decade now
Talk about killing a joke further.

>tfw Comic Book Guy is likely living a better life than the majority of people

he was great when he was JUST the comic book guy

At this point, I'm waiting for the inevitable spin-off where everyone's aged by 5-10 years.

>inevitable spin-off
kek

The series will just die one day and so be it.