Can someone explain to me what's wrong with "hipster" metal?

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with "hipster" metal?

Why can't bands incorporate influences from other genres, or use imagery that's not traditionally metal, or play softer or more melodic music, or go for moods that aren't just angry or infernal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xae5RJ24qF8
youtube.com/watch?v=fo32nrvszIg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The main problem with hipster metal is: it's metal.

What is the nu-male movement? We must know it so that we can deny its advances when it comes to tempt us.

Nu-male is safe but progressive.
Nu-male is accessible but intolerant.
Nu-male is intellectual but facile.

Nu-male is a product invented from whole cloth, an unnatural academic foray into metal, adorned with stolen designs like a Christmas tree with baubles - and no less commercial. Nu-male is an appropriation of the sound of danger, and thus represents a marginalization and disenfranchisement of the progenitors and true artists that work with that sound. Nu-male does not celebrate its origin; nu-male uses its origin as the basis of a semantic fallacy in order to bootstrap its own agenda into legitimacy. The often-mocked term applied to it is actually entirely accurate: nu-male is untrue. It is false. It is a sheep in wolfs' clothing. It is a cultural assault perpetrated on a genre that is already made defenseless by way of its own defense: the isolation from the mainstream. With no representative in popular culture, the industry and critic complex are free to plunder the vaults of true metal, cobble together whatever disarmed Frankenstein's monster they please and sell it to the general public as a morally safe and forward-thinking product - as socially or artistically "acceptable" metal.

True metal is not acceptable. It is a hate crime.

"Hipster metal" is metal for people who don't like metal. It's metal that lacks any sort of real energy or aggression.

>metal music must be aggressive
why?

because of the trve cult fanbase

There's nothing wrong with it. This is my favorite hipster metal album.

BLACK METAL IS ABOUT HATRED AND INTOLERANCE. NO FUCKING COMPROMISES.

Because it's shitty music devoid of what I like in metal. It's Pitchfork indie with a metal paintjob.

plenty of “hipster metal” is aggressive (or at least *played aggressively* if you want to be pedantic)

I'll just say flat out blackers/thrashers/slammers don't like to be lumped in with people who tie their hair int man buns, get offended by non-pc lyrics, snapchat themselves moshing for 5 seconds then leaving the pit to text, standing straight up with their arms crossed at shows, talking shit about non-djent/post-black bands, wearing Burzum shirts but not being able to name a song or album, actually hypd for the fucking Mayhem movie next year.

Because they're pretentious as fuck and it bleeds through in their music.

They're bands that got praise from p4k.

“wow they’re really pushing the genre forward away from all the corpse paint and elitism and lo-fi, could they be the future of black metal?”

t. music media about WITTR in 2007, and then about Deafeaven in 2013, and then about Myrkur in 2017

this is why we hate them

So, Black Sabbath is to blame for everything, right?

It may as well be, that is until you turn 18.

You didn't provide an example. It's not as if "hipster metal" is a distinctive subgenre either.

So Akhenaten is just wrong, oh ok

>Why can't bands incorporate influences from other genres, or use imagery that's not traditionally metal, or play softer or more melodic music, or go for moods that aren't just angry or infernal?
they can. but don't act like you're still fucking metal. especially when you cater your music to an audience who as a majority don't give a fuck about metal.
stop being butthurt you can't join the metal club for being a poser
i still like liturgy even tho hhh is a fag

True Satanic Black Metal are bands such as Darkthrone, Aryan Satankampf, Graveland, the Gestapo 666, Satanic Warmaster, Beherit and Impaled Nazarene. You can listen to Metallica if you want, but you do not understand anything about the real Hitleric Nazi Black Metal. You are just a poser and you can fuck off the whole scene. Black Metal is real music, not intended for animals like you, but the real Satanic Misanthropists who do not care about people like you dampers.

Black Metal is music for the elite and you do not understand it. None of you understand the real Satanism. You ridiculous little kids. Our worldview is based on Wotanic Hitlerism, on a personal level satanic individualism, collective level Hitleric Fascism. Without an understanding of theoretical occultism, it is useless to dream of understanding the Wotanic worldview. None of you can understand Wotanism, for you are all intellectually earthworms. You can not reach the elite level of Satanism, so why even dream about it. Satanism and Black Metal are for the elite. For real misanthropists.

By aggressive I don't exactly mean "war metal or GTFO". I mean something with a lot of energy, which all metal during the 80's had

I would not consider something like Deafheaven or blackgaze aggressive.

would have read if post got quints 6

Because metalheads are the most autistic purists on the internet

t. nu-male who got called out on his shit taste

wow dude you're so hardcore youtube.com/watch?v=Xae5RJ24qF8

Alright, easy with the piss takes

I’d still call bands like Woe or Krallice hipster metal, for example, and they’re plenty aggressive

get out newfag

it's pasta you newfag

dude its copypasta

newfag

They might be kinda aggressive but they are also extremely pretentious, which is another staple of hipster metal.

krallice isn't aggressive at all dude people just think that because they're music is loud and kind of abrasive but it's just randomly changing noodling with meandering """"riffs"""" that never go anywhere and weak vocals

How do you define “aggression” then

Yeah they’re complete fags but that’s not what we were talking about

it's pasta but it's unironic pasta, nu-males

We're talking about metal that hipsters like. That type of metal tends to not be aggressive, but there are always exeptions. To be fair though, neither of those bands are partiuarly aggressive. They are aiming more for muh atmosphere and muh experimentation rather than high-energy.

I met a guy who looked really clean and harmless, but then turned out to be really hard into Black Metal.

We're talking about "I wear corpse paint and commit to a Pilgrimage to Walken semi-yearly."

He had to cut his hair and shit because he didn't want employers in his field to look down on him for it.

like if u cry everytim

>pasta is unironic

“people should be able to wear corpse paint to their office jobs”

krallice's music doesn't elicit any kind of emotional response opposed to other black metal like youtube.com/watch?v=fo32nrvszIg which has some technicality, but also empowering riffs that make you want to fuck shit up

>empowering
nu-male

t. Basement dwelling virgin neckbeard

> True

>thinks sjws invented the word
retard

fucking kek, did you mean to use all the classic nu-male school of arguing deflections in your post as a joke or are you being sincere?

Go back to DMU with your embarrassing LARPing faggot

you seem upset

The thing is, there has always been a divide in music, a dichotomy of feminine/masculine. In the former category, we have effeminate music by hippies, hipsters, etc, conveying peace, love and understanding. And in the latter we have metal, emphasizing aggression, hate and disagreement. Needless to say, both ends hate and repel each other.
There are of course middle grounds between two genres, for example punk. But due to different reasons, even punk eventually divided into genres gravitating to one end or another. Hardcore intermerged with metal, while hippies got their postpunk, new wave, post-hardcore, etc. Note how the latter immediately wanted to cut ties with "overly loud, caveman hardcore", while the former couldn't get enough of it.
Anyway, there are middle grounds, but there are extremes in each genre. And extreme metal is a polar opposite of hipsters and hippies. It is the logical perpetuation of everything masculine. It evolved into a roaring satanic beast, conforming to nothing, pure testosterone in audible form. It was and is de-facto male-only music. And any attempts to inject it with feminity are simply compromising the whole package. They never sound like metal; they always sound like post-rock, indie, whatever. And needless to say, metal fans will hate hipster metal for what it is: a misleading fraud, a deceptive attempt to penetrate metal territory by its opposite parties.

So to summarize the reasons people brought up:

>It's pretentious!

Doesn't that apply to like, 90% of metal? This is the genre that prides itself on concept albums, 20 minute songs, sometimes masturbatory musicianship and feelings of superiority towards outsiders.

>Nobody wants to be associated with hipsters.

This is a problem that literally every genre has, though. It's inevitable that any genre that gains mainstream attention (or at least p4k attention) will have hipsters latch onto it. In that case, doesn't it make more sense to criticize the hipsters themselves rather than the bands for their ability to attract non-metalheads?

All of these reasons seem extraneous to the actual music. The criticisms I understand are that it's just not aggressive or abrasive enough for your taste, or resemble other genres you dislike.

>especially when you cater your music to an audience who...

How are you so sure they're "catering" to an audience, rather than just making the kind of music they want to make?

>stop being butthurt you can't join the metal club for being a poser

This is the kind of mentality I don't understand. Do you really think there are legions of people who WANT to be seen as metalheads? This is a group of people who are often seen as creepy, violent or weird by mainstream society.

I'm not doubting that "posers" exist, but I think metalheads vastly overestimate their own cultural capital.

>Do you really think there are legions of people who WANT to be seen as metalheads

*just for the sake of it

>Doesn't that apply to like, 90% of metal?
No. Most metal feture very simple riffs with occational progressive song structures. It's made too be fun too listen too. Maybe you could argue some second wave black metal bands were pretentious, but they did it purely for image and don't act that way anymore and definitely werent pretentious when it came to song writting.

Damn, you must really wish your parents were still married.

>This is the genre that prides itself on concept albums, 20 minute songs, sometimes masturbatory musicianship

have you only listened to a few shitty prog metal bands or something?