Should I learn the piano?

should I learn the piano?
how do I learn the piano?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WymgZtZPFlo
amazon.com/WP32-Older-Beginner-Course-Bastien/dp/0849750296/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513804103&sr=8-1&keywords=older beginner piano books
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shameless self bump

sure. the best way would be to get a teacher. but if you can't do that at least buy a beginners book to learn some basics

>should i learn the piano?
depends what kind of music you want to play, how much you want to play it, how much you like music, how much time you're willing to put in to get to where you want to be
>how do i learn the piano?
dont ask how until you know that you want to.

Buy a keyboard and learn online. Preferably with a laptop. Simple as that
Also buy a beginners book.

yeah sure a book seems neat. I'm in high school so I could find a teacher i guess.

damn that's a lot to think about. I'm partial to jazz if I were to play it I guess and classical too. I want to play it a lot it seems magical plus I'll have a hobby. I'm not like overly crazy about music but am a fan. I'm willing it put in as much as is needed.

why with a laptop?

You will never be this woke so don't try.

youtu.be/WymgZtZPFlo

Get this: amazon.com/WP32-Older-Beginner-Course-Bastien/dp/0849750296/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513804103&sr=8-1&keywords=older beginner piano books

Go through it, and then go through the piano adventure books (probably starting around 2A or 2B). Gotta internalize those basics

I would also recommend finding a nearby mormon church, they usually have loads of pianos and you do want to practice on a real piano

T A Y L O R S W I F T S O N G S

Because having a keyboard setup and a desktop setup would be a pain in the ass. If you could make it work then go ahead but you'd need a desk that could have both your desktop and your big ass keyboard on it.

Wait a minute
>I'm in high school

go for it then, my dude. jazz and classical are objectively the two best genres

ask your parents to take you to lessons, a teacher will be able to correct things that a book can't

also, electronic keyboards are not ideal for jazz and classical. but if you dont have money they can work i guess, make sure you get weighted keys

I'm not op, but how do I learn if I want to make mostly synth-related stuff: ambient/dark ambient/industrial/shoegaze/whatever? I guess I don't need to focus on technique (like for classical music), but I still need to pick up some basics, probably learn some complex chords and transitions, I don't know. I've been learning a bit of theory playing guitar and I've already got 61-key midi keyboard. Should I just start trying to learn songs from youtube videos (like Elliott Smith or Radiohead) and getting used to the instrument?

thanks a lot man. does it have to be a mormon church lol because im a britbong and we dont have a lot of those
ah snap yeha that makes sense. cheers
i-im 18 senpai
yeha doubt I'll be able to get a real one. my uncle had one but threw it out which i massively regret not getting. what's the benefits of weighted keys?

Should be pretty easy, learning theory is probably the most important because you would be more worried about chord shapes than timing of notes.
learning songs off of youtube sounds pretty good but try to improvise a bit too if you can

weighted keys feels more like a real piano. you can control volume with how fast you press the keys. trust me, its worth the investment if you're going to be playing anything technical at all

>mormons have loads of pianos

Maybe, but are you suggesting he just walk in and use them? I'm pretty sure the church is going to find it weird if some unaffiliated kid keeps coming in and playing their pianos. I tried even just playing the pianos at my uni and the music school ran me off because "they're for the music students". They had like, 50 pianos or some shit.

Weighted keys feel as heavy as piano keys.

Low end it may cost you $400 tho. I think the Yamaha p45 has fully weighted keys

buy some sheet music. its more important to learn to read than to learn by ear. you might not learn to play "pretty" but you could build an okay foundation.

i got the p45 for $100 from sam ash, though maybe it was used. good enough for starting out, especially for the price i got it at.

Hey, John Cage here, no you shouldn't bye

no
and
no

Bartók's Mikrokosmos.

stop bitching and do it