If the holodeck can't create real physical matter how come Picard was hit by Wesley's snowball when he was CLEARLY...

if the holodeck can't create real physical matter how come Picard was hit by Wesley's snowball when he was CLEARLY outside of the holodeck's boundaries??

boy I hope someone got fired over this blunder

cuz roddenberry is a hack

guy should've stopped after TOS

what do you expect from a show about a bunch of gay cowboys in space

maybe it can make basic matter like water

holodeck simulations are not holograms per se, they said that in the series premier

holodeck creations are basically "timed" matter from the giant matter replicator

holo is a misnomer

What about the episode where they made 100 sentient Hitlers?

How did Roddenberry get away with that?

Wesley brought he snow ball into the holodeck after making it with a replicator

>it's a Riker goes on a tirade about the Jews episode

happened way too often

>A holodeck combines elements of transporter technology with that of replicators, by generating actual matter, as well as projecting force fields to give the objects the illusion of substance. It can be controlled from an exterior control or the interior arch control. This arch can be summoned at any time to change the parameters of a running holoprogram. Matter and energy are interchangeable as such objects created on the holodeck can be either matter or energy.

>In the early 24th century, matter replication was primarily used for objects and characters that would be in direct contact with the occupants which gave them an extreme sense of realism. Water, for example, would feel like actual water because on some level, it was, and it could create experiences like odors. This also enabled simple matter to exist outside of the holodeck for brief periods of time (such as snow) before they would lose cohesion without the support of the holodeck grid and revert back to energy.

this. i would assume that for things that need to touch you (like rain, snow, etc...) the system would just pipe water into the holodeck, freeze/make it ice, etc...

in this scene Beverly is wearing a 20th century wristwatch, are we SERIOUSLY supposed to believe that people in the 24th century still use watches? 400 year old ones at that

Say that to me in the Ambojitsu ring not online, see what happens.

yes nice people wear rings and necklaces

and I suppose Nestle still exists and is making plastic bottles of water 200 years in the future

I am AMAZED people can take this HACK JOB seriously

The worst was that episode of DS9 when they went back in time to 20th century Earth, and Quark said he was disgusted by how greedy the Jews were, because even Ferengi have standards.

how come one of the engineers is looking up 'STAR TREK' on the ship computers??

I didn't know that Apple was making computer systems for the Federation in the 24th century

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

how come Kirk would spontaneously be replaced by a completely different random dude that looked like Kirk Douglas?

who is this guy??
CERTAINLY not Picard

This, jfc, how stupid are you people?

why would he bring a real snowball when he could create as many holographic snowballs as he wanted without worry so long as he remained in the holodeck?

same reason i bring your mom into the holodeck

If gold and jewels can just be replicated, why do people wear them? Is it still supposed to signify wealth?

Same reason you have a lawn.

why didn't they just fly the holodecks to Cardassia Prime?

To signify wealth?

Snow and water in the holodeck are made by the environmental control systems.

what part of "Disengage Safety Protocols" don't you understand?

Because it does create physical matter, but it needs to be in holodeck for energy. Outside its energy drains and it disappears after a bit

in the second Moriarty episode, Moriarty creates a holodeck within a holodeck
lets imagine that a third holodeck was created within the 2nd, then a fourth, and so on unto infinity
what would happen?

would the holodecks all collapse on themselves at some point like a white dwarf?

on a similar point, if a singularity was created within the holodeck and safety protocols turned off, would that singularity consume the entire ship?

I can't believe people are still talking about a dead franchise. It's time you embraced God-Tier Scifi

So I always figured the holodeck used replicator tech occasionally. Reasons being Picard getting wet and that episode in DS9 where the kid spends a goodamn decade in one and he had to eat somehow.

>heavy-handed SJW agenda
Fuck that.

Stargate > Battlestar = Star Trek > Star wars

people frequently come out of the holodeck drenched, its just one of those things

i just watched this episode. Riker never knew his father was cheating to win, kek

Okay, problem with this, do you know how much energy is in a kilo of water? About the same as a kilo of antimatter, which for simplicity's sake we will say is anti-water. That shit, if converted back into energy, would go nuclear unless it was part of a system designed to re-absorb it. That a basic replicator is fundamentally the equivalent of an antimatter bomb seemed kinda irresponsible.

But that is just one of those parts of science they ignore for trek, because stories.

Why would they do that - just go on the internet and tell lies?

They can travel nearly 10,000 times the speed of light. There's nothing they could do on the holodeck that would require more energy than using their engines.

Phil pls

Web browsers didn't even exist as you'd recognize them when that episode was filmed. NCSA Mosaic wouldn't be released for another two years.

>There's nothing they could do on the holodeck that would require more energy than using their engines.

>he's never used gopher
>he's never telnetted on an ANSI term

They fixed it for the Blu Ray.

The computer is not powered by the warp drive

>Time travel is easily doable in Kirk's era
>expecting me to feel tension after that point

Borg destroyed earth? eh try again infinitely

>he never tied up single line BBSes to shitpost on FidoNet
>he never manually reassembled usenet binaries

What if they simulated two sets of engines firing inside the holodeck?

>checkmate

Tasty bait. I'll bite!

Star Trek is the definition of science fiction. Fictional works about fictional science.

Star Wars is pure magical destiny fantasy shakespeare in space.

Then it would simulate it, but I doubt it could create a working warp drive, and creating real antimatter would definitely violate safety protocols.

>muh absolutism
It's a gradient, Star Wars is closer to the fantasy end of the spectrum, and Trek is a little closer than Wars to the hard science fiction ideal, but both stray into each others' territory from time to time.

>he never got two nodes banned from the starwars echo because of his shitposting
>he never met up with local sysops and inadvertently got molested
>he never got his grandparents raided by the secret service

They would just see the holographic representation of two engines firing.

That's like saying they can't simulate the warp core in the holodeck because it would take too much energy. It doesn't actually function, it's a holographic representation. It just recreates the sight, touch and sound of it. Taste too if you're daring.

>he never met up with local sysops and inadvertently got molested
y-yeah..

>the height of human martial arts is fighting each other in gimp suits with giant cue tips

Why didn't Quark just make a second Quarks inside a holosuite to get around station ordinances?

He's "barely breaking even on the holodecks as it is", and that's charging people hourly to use it. Why would people pay an entry fee to use a holographic Quarks in Quarks?

Get fucked.

dont mind me, just comfiest trek episode coming through

That's true though I don't recall Star Wars ever discussing the science of how it's world works on film, which if I'm going to nitpick puts it more on the side of science fantasy.

>How does the hyperdrive function?
>What fuel do all the different ships use?
>Where do the rebels get it when hiding on remote planets?
>How does Darth Vaders suit allow him to eat and shit?
>How do they understand R2D2 or Chewie or Jabba?

I'm sure there are explanations in expanded universe books, wikis etc. but all those things go without explanation in the movies because you're there for the story and characters and adventures.

Whereas Trek devotes a great deal of time onscreen to discussing how their fictional science works. Yes, a lot of it is technobabble but there is a certain internal logic to the function of the warp drive, transporters, scanners, weapons. I don't watch Trek for that stuff but there are people who can tell you how it works, in the context of the fictional universe. Not to mention the occasional actual scientific principle or theory thrown in here and there.

they fucked up twice then

Even Seaquest is better than Star Whores and Seaquest is fucking terrible.

and ds9 is star wars in trek uniforms. think about it.

close, but alexander is awful

Worst episode in TNG you mean, including planet Nigger.

>ultimate evolution of 3000 years of fighting discipline
>some american gladiator in space shit

Exactly how Quarks works in relation to the station has always confused me.

So he pays rent? And is charged for the energy he consumes? Ok but I thought this was post scarcity and power was unlimited? Can't actually recall what the power source for the station was come to think of it.

And so, the officers go and spend money at Quarks right? Do they paid then? I thought the federation or starfleet had done away with money. Do they create money just to spend it at places like Quarks? Doesn't easily replicated money devalue the worth of the currency for planets like Ferenginar that still use it?

He has the bar rent free (including maintenance from the engineering staff) because the federation is stupid and Quark still doesn't make much money because he's retarded.

can't replicate latinum iirc

>imblying doctor asshole isnt worse than alexander

Any episode with Alexander is lame.

Remember when him, his dad and Lwaxana had a mud bath together?

The Federation likely acts as proxy for any affiliated species who still have monetary social systems and do business with them.

Ferengi give them latinum, latinum goes to reserve, reserve is used for barter with other races. Indirect trading more or less.

>THE HIGHER THE FEWER

I wanted somebody to throw a fucking rock at that kid.

>So he pays rent? And is charged for the energy he consumes?
No.

From Bar Association:

>Sisko: Maybe I don't know much about Ferengi culture, but I do know who holds the lease on your bar.
>Quark: The Federation... and I couldn't ask for better landlords.
>Sisko: That's because we don't ask you to pay your rent, or to reimburse us for your maintenance repairs, or the drain on the station's power supply.
>Quark: You're a very generous people.

It's never explicitly stated but Federation citizens definitely pay for drinks and such at Quark's, I always figured the Federation provides them with a stipend seeing as they got stationed somewhere with a currency and nowhere to acquire it. And Latinum can't be replicated, so Starfleet would have to be trading with non-Federation citizens and planets, exchanging goods or services for Latinum then sending it to DS9 and other places outside Federation space where its crew are stationed.

The whole prophets thing kinda got away from Roddenberries atheist future.

TOS was kinda Scooby Doo in space where every other week they were proving that some new beings claiming to be "gods" are really just old man johnson in disguise.

They try to keep it vaguely scientific by explaining the 'Prophets' are really non linear non corporeal aliens but from the audience POV they're just space gods.

>The whole prophets thing kinda got away from Roddenberries atheist future.
I disagree. They were definitely not Gods. They were aliens that lived in a wormhole. They kept on saying "We are of Bajor" but they never explained what was meant by that, every action they ever took was to protect one of THEM, i.e. themselves in the wormhole or Sisko, their son. They sent out probes to find other lifeforms like them, but they were crazy time-tech and caused hallucinations and visions of the future when non-immortal lifeforms interacted with them, the Bajorans thought they were created by gods and started worshipping them.

It was all just a terrible misunderstanding and they lacked the ability to communicate this to anyone, but I think it's made very clear in the show if you pay attention.

Sounds like a theory.

Only problem is would the Ferengi really give the Federation latinum? They'd have to give a lot to set up a reserve. Wouldn't they expect some from of profit other than just indirect trade? Wouldn't they want interest or something? So wouldn't the Federation then have to somehow get more latinum by trading so they can pay the interest?

I'm thinking too hard about a fictional economy.

oh that scene is so hot

DS9 is Political Science Fiction

>but I think it's made very clear in the show if you pay attention.
Yes, especially when Sisko actually starts buying into the Prophets shit somewhere around Season 6.
The real issue with the Prophets is that they started out as wormhole aliens seeking new life and shit, but they actually evolved into religious figures when the Pah-Wraiths popped up and Sisko became space Jesus.

>Can't actually recall what the power source for the station was come to think of it.
This is a very green-friendly post, recycles old memes and gets many (You)s

The Federation is post scarcity but they still barter. Also as established as they are there would no doubt already be a massive system of trade already in place that they acted as proxy for. By the time the Ferengi entered the picture they'd just be slotting into the too big to fail machineā„¢.

As far as what the Federation needs as a post scarcity society: services. They're past needing goods but they still deal in the other half of commerce regularly.

Basically, they're past needing money and on an individual basis greed is mostly snuffed out but the Federation still uses money. As is shown regularly in any given episode dealing with the topic.

One of the most interesting aspects of DS9 was it's relationship with religion. Ok not the actual episodes about the inner workings of the Bajoran religion but their relationship with Starfleet.

TNG largely circumvented this since the Federation are unspokenly atheist and the only time they encounter religion is with primitive societies with whom they can't interfere.

DS9 presented us with a species (Bajorans) who were scientifically literate and almost ready to join the Federation but who were still deeply religious. The revelation of the wormhole only deepened their resolve. The scientific explanation is non corporeal non linear alien life forms but the Bajorans still chose to interpret them as divine prophets.

It was a good allegory for modern day humans because although I hope we one day move past religion, we still have to deal with millions of people, even friends and neighbors, who hold onto their faith despite living in a modern world and all the scientific advances that led to it.

You just know when it all went wrong.

He's not Space Jesus, stop listening to memes. He is half wormhole alien, they created him as a weapon to win a civil war that has been at stalemate for millenia because none of them can leave the wormhole. The Pah-Wraiths were just other wormhole aliens that they banished and wanted revenge for it and got brought into the Bajorans religious allegory as the Evil Gods. They were trying the same thing when they assumed control of Keiko to kill the ones in the wormhole.

>remember that rainbow guy that kept puffing out his cheeks.
I felt sorry for everybody involved.

>Seaquest is fucking terrible
Me and my buddies loved it.
We were, like, 12.

>he's not space jesus
>except he explicitly is

That's the idea. I want somebody who knows this shit to clue me in.

>nuh-uh

>mfw I always wanted to bone Guinan
>mfw I liked Pulaski more than Crusher
>mfw I liked all the Lwaxana eps (especially when she was molesting Picard)

You know how I can tell you're not Mormon?

Are actors not even allowed to throw fake punches? How far does the stuntman have to go to cover for him?